FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

Legend in the Making - An Advanced Guide to Competitive Hearthstone: Part 1

what an awesome guide. and in great detail. tyvm i will try it very soon. i have spent quite a lot of money back at start of hearthstone. but can't make all of the new decks. hope i get cards soon. always been a reno player thx to MTG highlander

Edited by Sikolik

Amazing guide @Aleco. I feel like everyone, not just beginners, can benefit from this. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait for the other installments. :) 

• Thanks 1

World class guide!
I've started to play hearthstone this year.
I've spent also some real cash to buy packs.
Sometimes I had days, where I have lost all Matches.
I will try this for sure.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Peace ShaDoWf1ST

This guide is incredible! I always wanted to better understand what is needed for legend.

I have been playing for years, usually with fully meta competitive decks. I wanted to always believe the only thing stopping me was time... and now I know that to be 10000% true. 300 games is just SO LONG. At +/- 5 minutes a game, that means 25 hours a month. That's the "minimum" it would take. Blizzard started sending out a monthly wrap-up email of your stats, and I only played 120 games last month (got to rank 12) and felt like I played quite a bit (ALWAYS finish my daily quests and every brawl pack at minimum). That means I have to play at least twice as much.

RIP Legendary goal.

I gotta say, it has been a while since I've read a "improve in ranked in X game" guide and actually thought to myself "shit, i never would have figured that out".

I feel like the basic idea of control vs aggro is naturally learned but only practiced outside of the game. In video games now adays everyone is given one role at a time and they pick that role; that is probably why it is hard for new players to get around the idea that their role can change from game to game.

The tools you presented in the article are also super useful for returning players like myself. I have plenty of cards to make the best of the best shaman decks, but I've been out of the game for so long that I was struggling to adapt to this meta's shaman decks(im used to naxx and vanilla midrange).

Great article, looking forward to part 2 :)

Great guide. I play all the time on my iPad but I can never crack above rank2/3 on my iPad. Sometimes I forget what I've played or lost track of just which cards are left, particularly in long control games...which lets face it, will be even more common with KFT. Playing on PC with a decktracker is far less stressful.

On the flip side, Arena made me a better player by understanding mana curve and managing my cards for value. I feel more confident teching in cards on Ladder and My arena runs are consistently above 6-7 wins.

Edited by Abom

10 hours ago, Aleco said:

I know this is going to be a tough pill to swallow for many of you out there but it's time to give up on your pet deck and play a net deck.

Is this advice legit or are you trying to secretly promote using our decks? :P 

Fantastic article, thanks.

Shame it's in wild now, but Sir Finley choices (or indeed choosing just to hold on to your own power and not play him at all) in aggro v aggro often used to highlight when people forgot/didn't know they are, or have become, the control deck. 

Edited by Bozonik

On 8/4/2017 at 2:35 AM, Bozonik said:

Fantastic article, thanks.

Shame it's in wild now, but Sir Finley choices (or indeed choosing just to hold on to your own power and not play him at all) in aggro v aggro often used to highlight when people forgot/didn't know they are, or have become, the control deck. 

Ah the good old days of Finley! I loved that card in mirrors, it was genuinely game changing depending on your choice.

re: the net deck advice, I'm not sure I correctly understood how to get hsreplay.net to tell me which decks I'm closest to making. Is there a function there (or anywhere) that can import my collection from the game, compare against the netdeck library, and output the decks that are closest?

6 hours ago, briala said:

re: the net deck advice, I'm not sure I correctly understood how to get hsreplay.net to tell me which decks I'm closest to making. Is there a function there (or anywhere) that can import my collection from the game, compare against the netdeck library, and output the decks that are closest?

You just type the "meta" cards that you have, normally legendaries or epics since they are the most expensive, into the included cards part. It should show you what decks you can make using those.

On 8/20/2017 at 1:38 AM, alonsocn said:

Great article! Thank you Aleco, For sure I will read part two and three! 

Good luck with hunting legend! :D

Just started to read part 1 and...wow!I am dazzled by the level of in-depth analysis and the clarity of information!

Recently i reached rank 15 for the first time and it seemed like climbing mount Everest.Thinking backwards after this article i believe that the rank achieved would be much higher had i applied the tactics depicted.

Most important of all though is that this guide is a simple yet powerful tool for every HS player,regardless of level and experience.

Thank you @Aleco!As Malfurion the Pestilent would say...."MASTERFUL!"

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 7:53 PM, Karayan7 said:

Recently i reached rank 15 for the first time and it seemed like climbing mount Everest.Thinking backwards after this article i believe that the rank achieved would be much higher had i applied the tactics depicted.

Congrats on hitting R15! :D

First post on icy veins! :D I just wanted to say that this was a very insightful article, and easy to read. There is however one thing I couldn't do and was reading the starcitygames article on who's the beatdown... looks like the linked website doesn't exist anymore :(

On 4/16/2018 at 2:49 PM, WarmInsides said:

First post on icy veins! :D I just wanted to say that this was a very insightful article, and easy to read. There is however one thing I couldn't do and was reading the starcitygames article on who's the beatdown... looks like the linked website doesn't exist anymore :(

I checked again today and the link was fixed! :)

• Like 1