VaraTreledees

Replays

17 posts in this topic

I thought it would be interesting to start a replay thread (a sort of more in-depth rate my deck thread possibly if it takes off).  Toss out a replay, let others rate and critique how you play, give suggestions, advice etc.  I will start by posting my most recent game, reno control priest vs reno warlock! Also, for those wondering this is at rank 10, also, spoilers I lost this one.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/bov6v4dLExyk76uCE7Yh4k

Just to touch on a few (read: lots of) things, mulligan feels correct, I could have tossed the courier, but I felt like it was strong enough to keep, especially going first.  With the courier discover, there really weren't any options, succubus is too detrimental in my opinion and mind blast is weak (although there is some merit in the no one expects priest burst but meh), plus I had a doomsayer to go along with blizzard.  It feels like I might have miss-played turn four by just passing instead of playing doomsayer, but I really didn't have a turn 5 play besides Saraad and that is very weak without getting value out of him, plus the doomsayer has a chance of killing the drake if he plays it and I also have blizzard to combo with it.  Turn eight is an interesting turn.  I have a lot of options.  Brann > curator > Feral spirits was certainly an option, so was just curator and feral spirits.  Doomsayer was also a strong choice since he just wasted bolt so I could develop a paltress on an open board with a hero power.  Ultimately I chose to play curator + spirits + MC tech since the MC tech doesn't generally offer much besides its body and contests the voidwalker.   I believe the correct choice was probably doomsayer > paltress though.  Turn nine also had a couple choices, sylvanas, doomsayer or songstealer + heal.  Wanted to save the songstealer for something more relevant than an imp gangboss, ditto for sylvanas.  Doomsayer is a lot more iffy this turn since it gives him a free turn to develop jaraxxas, which tends to end poorly for priest, and with a strong play in chillmaw it didn't seem to be worth the risk.  Turn 10 felt very awkward.  I really only had 3 choices, either YOLO paltress (probably the correct choice), develop sylvanas or doomsayer + blizzard.  I chose the latter option because I felt the chances he had jaraxxas were somewhat slim since most reno locks cut it now, especially ones who are teched against aggro (he had voidwalker), and if paltress hit a poor quality minion, she would be traded into for free.  Rest of the game is pretty self explanatory.  It was basically over at that point regardless of what I did, unless the paltress pulled something amazing.

Edited by VaraTreledees
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably would have played Doomsayer instead of Nexus-Champion Saraad on turn 7 to be able to play him on an empty board or to bait some removals.
On turn 8, I think Mind Control Tech was still a consideration to keep, as your opponent had 2 minions on board already, and he had a lot of cards in hand.
Sir Finley Mrrgglton was really unlucky :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@WedgeAntillesReplay #1: playing Ogre Brute on turn 5 was better, as it would give you massive board advantage and a better mana usage.
On turn 4, playing Zombie Chow would give you much better board presence.
On turn 6, Chillwind Yeti would gave given you much better board presence, even though you would have lost a bit of Smuggler's Run value. In the end, you played him the following turn, so you didn't get the value anyway.
On turn 9, you should have traded with the Chillwind Yeti, and then played the Smuggler's Run and Argent Protector
On turn 18, playing Tomb Spider first was better as it would give you more information. In this case, playing the spider, picking the spider and playing another would have been a better play as you would have a board that could protect (at least a bit) your Murloc Knight.

Replay #2: On turn 3, playing Blessing of Wisdom, attacking and then playing Argent Protector would give you higher divine shield value, especially considering your opponent played Soulfire the following turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

Thx for the input!

Question: Turn 9: If I would have attacked with Chillwind Yeti first and then played Smuggler's Run + Argent Protector - he would have been able to take my Divine Shield with his Master Swordsmith on his turn.

That's why I used my Divine Shield to protect my Yeti from the damage in the trade.

 

That's true - his side of board would be completely empty either way. In this case there would be no difference. I usually want to use divine shield as a bait to make the opponent waste his board presence and I guess I just assume that if the outcome would no be worse, it would be better. My bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My midrange shaman vs. pirate warrior. It was close, but I won. Feedback is welcome and would be greatly appreciated, but this is just a brag post. He didn't have a super strong draw, but it wasn't weak either. Big comeback win satisfaction!

https://hsreplay.net/replay/dn8iB9eresi6GKdNkqDQcn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@positiv2 thanks, play order is something I sdo struggle with. Often I won't bother to count my mana and will play out my turn and use hero power if I have any left over. I got a new one now. While I messaged you I was in the early stages of this game. Same mid shaman vs armory warrior. I know I wasted a hex and I know play order was out on one totem summoning late. Not sure what else I could have done.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/QLorXZnNng3GSmdumEmB5Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JohnnyZ said:

@positiv2 thanks, play order is something I sdo struggle with. Often I won't bother to count my mana and will play out my turn and use hero power if I have any left over. I got a new one now. While I messaged you I was in the early stages of this game. Same mid shaman vs armory warrior. I know I wasted a hex and I know play order was out on one totem summoning late. Not sure what else I could have done.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/QLorXZnNng3GSmdumEmB5Q

The replays shows me only turns 16+. Is it just me or is it the same for you as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, positiv2 said:

The replays shows me only turns 16+. Is it just me or is it the same for you as well?

No, youre absolutely right. I had a disconnect. I'll pass that info back to the tracker dev. cheers anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been playing reno priest for a while now but Ive never had such a strong opening as this! I feel the way I navigated the early turn against the jade druid exceedingly well. later on in the game (especially toward the end which is near fatigue) I start making some bad decisions but I probably could have won if I was more consistent in that good decision making.

I was really worried with my mulligan, as you can clearly see there was much to be desired from what I got but those early turns were really good. not playing Potion of Madness on turn two to clear but rather on turn 3 to pair with the heals saving resources or later turns. the doomsayer to draw out removal and the turn 7 was interesting. he was overdrawing me so I had to start tring to play 2 cards a turn. I waited for 2 or 3 turns instead playing a somewhat decent play on turn 7 playing 3 cards and buffing a garrison commander. did not get full value out of that but it felt like a very strong turn regardless. lucky he made the mistake o not trading into garrison commander with his azure drake in a later turn giving me a bit more edge aswell. My ragnaros drop was questionable and after that the game was pretty much how I usually play them.

I guess I'm just happy I'm picking up some more evaluation skills.

Please tell me if you'd have done anything diferent. I am always open to the worst best kind of criticism (right? @Paracel).

Cheers.

Shine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ShineThe first problem is that you run Mind Control. The card is too slow and unreliable.
On turn 7, playing Darkshire Alchemist would have been fine. It was a control deck, meaning that the heal is not as important as the body on the board.
On turn 12, healing Medivh, the Guardian after he attacks so the opponent is unable to trade with the Azure Drake seems like a better play.
On turn 13, I would have played Brann Bronzebeard into Kazakus, as Brann would be safe and you would have had a way to deal with more jade golems and to generate bigger board. There is no thing as overextension when playing reno priest against druid. Additionally, you would have gained another 10-drop from the potion you would have played the following turn, instead of wasting Atiesh on Power Word: Shield.
Not sure if you played Kazakus as a BM or simply misplayed - Jade Idol is a bane of reno priests :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me your obvious misplay was around turn 13, when you had a 6/2 you stole, but you played Ooze, shielded it for no Atiesh value and then proceeded to heal face when he had a 2/3 on board. Derp. Miliking Atiesh and the 6/2 was the correct play here.

Life points are essentially worthless in this matchup. Don't be too focused on them. You're either way too alive or dead in one attack to 7/7s.  The turn you played Dragonfire Potions, you could have easily taken that damage. But I liked the play more or less anyways.

Also you should have played Kazakus earlier at some point, as Positiv says. Flipping the kill switch should have happened earlier.

I don't think this game was a good example, to be honest. He had a weird build that lopsided it against you even further, and then his draw was pretty good, not much left to be done. Proficiency in the matchups is defined with a large sample, not a single game.

Edited by Paracel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, positiv2 said:

@ShineThe first problem is that you run Mind Control. The card is too slow and unreliable.
On turn 7, playing Darkshire Alchemist would have been fine. It was a control deck, meaning that the heal is not as important as the body on the board.
On turn 12, healing Medivh, the Guardian after he attacks so the opponent is unable to trade with the Azure Drake seems like a better play.
On turn 13, I would have played Brann Bronzebeard into Kazakus, as Brann would be safe and you would have had a way to deal with more jade golems and to generate bigger board. There is no thing as overextension when playing reno priest against druid. Additionally, you would have gained another 10-drop from the potion you would have played the following turn, instead of wasting Atiesh on Power Word: Shield.
Not sure if you played Kazakus as a BM or simply misplayed - Jade Idol is a bane of reno priests :P

Both the not healing medihv and the PW shield plays were a simple matters of me playing quicker than is good for me. I tend to just play what seems obvious without thinking about full synergies This was especially the case with the PW shield. I was actually hoping to use that last charge of the wep on entomb. Healing medihv wouldve been better indeed and I noticed this as soon as I already healed my hero... again, me playing too quickly.

I was honestly surprised when I played bran into kazakus and didnt get anything. I was all like "did the game just break in the most unfair possible way?" but then I checked my tracker and saw the jade idols. I totally forgot about them (even though it was only a turn before when I thoughtstole them).

Finally Mind control. I basically included it for good value out of medihv. I have noticed however that it's not really needed. getting a 5 drop from the staff is ofter better than having to wait for a good minion to mc. I do have to say that MC has helped me out of a bucnh of perculiar situations. Any replacement for him, I have a ton of legends let over... (Please don't say justicar, I dusted him too early becuase I thought he would already be rotated out. boy did I miscalculate...)

 

6 hours ago, Paracel said:

For me your obvious misplay was around turn 13, when you had a 6/2 you stole, but you played Ooze, shielded it for no Atiesh value and then proceeded to heal face when he had a 2/3 on board. Derp. Miliking Atiesh and the 6/2 was the correct play here.

Life points are essentially worthless in this matchup. Don't be too focused on them. You're either way too alive or dead in one attack to 7/7s.  The turn you played Dragonfire Potions, you could have easily taken that damage. But I liked the play more or less anyways.

Also you should have played Kazakus earlier at some point, as Positiv says. Flipping the kill switch should have happened earlier.

I don't think this game was a good example, to be honest. He had a weird build that lopsided it against you even further, and then his draw was pretty good, not much left to be done. Proficiency in the matchups is defined with a large sample, not a single game.

I have to say, around turn 5 or 6 I noticed I should probably have saved the aoe's for later turns since I had a fuckton of healing in hand already. could've easily taken that extra damage indeed. It's still a learning curve but I did feel this game went much better overall. Th thoughstealing jade idols seemed fun, I figured I would at least never hit fatigue and get unlimited resources. With all the healing still left over I figured I could maybe start getting some golems going for myself. (too bad he was already like 10 golems head of me anyways...) Boy did I just fck myself out of a double kazakus... :S I totally didnt notice, took me literally 30 secs of staring at the screen waiting for the discovers before I finally "Mistakes were made"-ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shine said:

Any replacement for him, I have a ton of legends let over... (Please don't say justicar, I dusted him too early becuase I thought he would already be rotated out. boy did I miscalculate...)

Well, yeah, Just a car Trueheart seems like the strongest choice for your current decklist. If you want late-game value, Nexus-Champion SaraadConfessor Paletress and Ysera are good cards to include. Against aggro you could add Mistress of MixturesWild Pyromancer or Second-Rate Bruiser. You could also include Auchenai Soulpriest or Azure Drake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel I'm holding my own against agro pretty well with a 64% winrate against it, against control I'm a bit higher at 69% but I think I'll just take the ysera, I dislike rng too much when ranking (I know it's obviously inevitable) so I'd rather not pick saraad. Dont have paletress so thats not gonna work either way. Thx for the analysis guys I do appreciate it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.