Table of Contents
- +Normal/Heroic Strategy/Tactics
- +Mythic Strategy
On this page, we list all the abilities from the Ursoc encounter in The Emerald Nightmare. The idea is to give you a solid understanding of the encounter before you read the strategy.
If you are already familiar with the encounter, then you can skip to the strategy and tactics page or access any other page of the guide by using the table of contents on the right.
About our Reviewer
Unlike most bosses in the Emerald Nightmare, Ursoc has only one phase. However, this does not mean that Ursoc is inherently easier than the other bosses in the zone.
Fight Becomes Progressively Harder
While engaged with Ursoc, you will find that the fight gets harder over time. This is due to Echoing Dischord, which buffs Ursoc's main AoE ability, Roaring Cacophony.
Ursoc also has a soft enrage at 30% health, this ability is called Blood Frenzy. It increases his attack speed by 20% and his damage done by 25%.
Throughout your battle with Ursoc, approximately every 20 seconds, he will cast Focused Gaze. This ability begins a chain of abilities that can be deadly to your raid if handled incorrectly. Focused Gaze in itself is not that scary, but everything that comes after it is.
- When Ursoc casts Focused Gaze, he targets a random raid member, and charges them after 6 seconds.
- While Ursoc charges the targeted player, he damages every player in his path with Momentum.
- When Ursoc reaches the targeted player, he strikes them with Trampling Slam.
- At the same time as he reaches the targeted player, Ursoc damages all players with Barreling Impact.
This whole sequence happens in about 9 seconds. In the first 6 seconds, where Ursoc is targeting a player for Focused Gaze, there is no incoming raid damage. All of the damage from these abilities happens after Ursoc starts charging his target.
- Momentum deals Physical damage to each player Ursoc travels through. This ability also knocks players back, and increases the damage they take from Momentum by 500% for the next 50 seconds.
- Trampling Slam deals high Physical damage to Ursoc's target. The damage is reduced the further the targeted player is from Ursoc.
- Barreling Impact deals extremely high, unavoidable raid-wide damage that is reduced for every player his by Momentum.
Roaring Cacophony deals extremely high Physical damage split evenly among players within 25 yards of Ursoc. Every time Roaring Cacophony is cast, Ursoc gains a stack of Echoing Dischord, increasing the damage of subsequent casts of Roaring Cacophony by 10%, making the damage ramp up as the fight goes on.
Nightmare Images in Heroic+
Starting with Heroic difficulty, Ursoc leaves a Nightmare Image behind him every time he casts Roaring Cacophony. There are 2 mechanics tied to Nightmare Images that the raid needs to take into account.
- Each Nightmare Image projects a Miasma void zone in 20-yard circle around it, which deals Shadow damage every second to players caught in it.
- Whenever Ursoc casts Roaring Cacophony, all existing Nightmare Images also roar ( Nightmarish Cacophony), inflicting high Shadow damage divided evenly among players within 20 yards of them (so players happening to stand in Miasma void zones). Players hit by this ability are sent running in fear for 3 seconds (this effect can be dispelled).
Besides this, Nightmare Images do nothing and remain where they were created until the end of the fight.
In addition to all the abilities listed above, there are 2 tank-specific abilities.
Rend Flesh is cast approximately every 20 seconds and inflicts very high Physical damage to Ursoc's current tank and then additional Physical damage every 2 seconds for 12 seconds.
Overwhelm is cast approximately every 10 seconds and inflicts very high Physical damage to Ursoc's current tank and debuffs them to take 10% (15% in Heroic mode) increased Physical damage and 75% (150% in Heroic mode) increased damage from Rend Flesh.
Timing of Abilities
Ursoc always alternates casting Focused Gaze and Roaring Cacophony in such a way that every 20 seconds, approximately, you will have to deal with either Focused Gaze or Roaring Cacophony, starting with Focused Gaze. In between, the tanks have to deal with 2 casts of Overwhelm and 1 cast of Rend Flesh. So it goes like this:
- 10 seconds into the fight: Overwhelm;
- 15 seconds into the fight: Rend Flesh;
- 20 seconds into the fight: Overwhelm and Focused Gaze;
- 30 seconds into the fight: Overwhelm;
- 35 seconds into the fight: Rend Flesh;
- 40 seconds into the fight: Overwhelm and Roaring Cacophony;
- 50 seconds into the fight: Overwhelm;
- 55 seconds into the fight: Rend Flesh;
- 60 seconds into the fight: Overwhelm and Focused Gaze;
- 70 seconds into the fight: Overwhelm;
- 75 seconds into the fight: Rend Flesh;
- 80 seconds into the fight: Overwhelm and Roaring Cacophony;
In Heroic mode, the pattern is the same, but Roaring Cacophony is always cast twice in quick succession (so stacks of Echoing Dischord build up faster).
- 16 Sep. 2016: Added more details following pottm's review.
- +Normal/Heroic Strategy/Tactics
- +Mythic Strategy
- WoW Servers Down and Explanation
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Amirdrassil 10.2 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 3: In the Middle of Two Tuning Passes
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Death Knight Atal'dazar +20 Solo in Dragonflight Season 3
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- Number of Raid Bosses Per Expansion
- The 10 Rarest Still Obtainable Mounts (Video)
- Marksmanship Hunter PvE
- Heirlooms Overview
- Restoration Druid Leveling
- Mistweaver Monk PvE
- Balance Druid PvE