Ultraxion Healer Strategy Guide (Heroic Mode included)
Table of Contents
This guide is intended to provide a comprehensive description of the encounter with Ultraxion in Dragon Soul. It is mostly targeted to healers who desire to have a short but detailed overview of what is expected of them during that fight.
This guide is updated for World of Warcraft WoD 6.1.2.
The Ultraxion encounter is a gear check for both DPS players and healers. From a strategy point of view, however, the encounter is extremely simple to understand and execute.
As a healer, you will have to essentially heal the raid through an ever-increasing raid-wide damaging aura. At certain regular intervals, you will also have to use an encounter-specific ability. Lastly, you will have to click an object, once during the fight, in order to gain a healing buff.
Overview of the Fight
The encounter against Ultraxion is a single phase encounter, the difficulty of which increases over time. The fight has both a hard and a soft enrage timer, ensuring that close to or at the 6 minute mark, your raid will unavoidably wipe.
During the encounter, you will regularly have to avoid an ability, by use of an encounter-specific ability, Heroic Will. It will appear on your screen, in the form of a special action bar that looks like this:
Heroic Will has a 5 second cooldown and has no resource cost. It is off the Global Cooldown and it can be cast while you are already casting another spell. Using it has no beneficial effects, and merely allows you to avoid certain mechanics.
Using Heroic Will will put you in a special state, for up to 5 seconds (or until the ability you are avoiding is cast), during which time you cannot perform any action whatsoever (heal, move).
This ability can be keybound from the Key Bindings Menu (it is called ExtraActionButton1 and it is located in the Action Bar Functions section). The button may may not display properly (or at all) if you are using any action bar add-ons, although this does not affect the aforementioned key-binding's efficiency. Alternatively, you can use the following macro:
- /click ExtraActionButton1
Clicking this macro (which, of course, can be keybound), has the same effect as clicking the Heroic Will button.
- Whenever Ultraxion begins casting Hour of Twilight (it is shown clearly as an emote on your screen, and you can also see the boss' cast bar), use Heroic Will. This ability will occur every 45 seconds. Occasionally, your raid leader will require you to use Pain Suppression or Guardian Spirit on certain raid members, prior to Hour of Twilight, so that they can survive it without use of Heroic Will.
- Heal the tanks through Ultraxion's melee attacks (moderate damage).
- Heal the raid through an ever-increasing raid-wide damaging AoE attack (Shadow damage).
At one of a few certain moments in the encounter (1:30, 2:30 or 3:30, respectively), you will have to right click a crystal that will spawn next to you. This will grant you a powerful healing buff. Which crystal you should take (they have different colors) is something that your raid leader or healing leader will assign to you (you can read the detailed guide for more information).
Towards the end of the fight, the raid damage will become brutal, and you should use raid cooldowns or healing cooldowns at this time.
The heroic mode of Ultraxion is extremely similar to the normal mode. The most important change is that the DPS requirement for the fight is much higher. As a healer, there are not many differences that concern you. You should only keep in mind the following:
- Certain designated players will have to survive the damage from Hour of Twilight. As a Holy or Discipline Priest, you may have to use your cooldowns ( Guardian Spirit or Pain Suppression) on them at the right time (this will be indicated by your raid leader);
- You should try to do as much damage to the boss as possible, especially during the first part of the fight, when raid damage is low.
Finally, Holy Paladins may be asked to survive Hour of Twilight by using Divine Shield or Divine Protection. Keep in mind that, in heroic mode, a debuff is applied each time you survive an Hour of Twilight. The debuff lasts 2 minutes and causes you to instantly die to Hour of Twilight should you try to survive it again.
- Fan-Requested Pairing Made Reality in Shadows Rising
- Even Faster BWL Speed Clear: New Rank 1 with Over 20 Seconds Shaved Off
- 100% of All Plate Acomplished: DesMephisto's Quest Is Complete!
- All Legendary Powers Added So Far on Shadowlands Alpha
- Reputation Gains Increased By 60% This Week
- A Massive Pre-expansion Event? Beta? What Can We Expect from the Shadowlands Reveal Event?
- Cataclysm Timewalking (July 7th - July 14th)
- Death Knights & Demon Hunters Start At Level 8/10 in Shadowlands
- Warrior Leveling Guide
- Completed Quests Checker
- What to Do Before Shadowlands Goes Live
- Corrupted Mementos
- Shaman Leveling Guide
- Havoc Demon Hunter 8.3
- Arcane Mage 8.3
- Blood Death Knight 8.3