Ultraxion DPS Strategy Guide (Heroic Mode included)
Table of Contents
This guide is intended to provide a comprehensive description of the encounter with Ultraxion in Dragon Soul. It is mostly targeted to DPS who desire to have a short but detailed overview of what is expected of them during that fight.
This guide is updated for World of Warcraft WoD 6.1.2.
The Ultraxion encounter is a gear check for both DPS players and healers. From a strategy point of view, however, the encounter is extremely simple to understand execute.
As a DPS player, you will not be required to move for the entire duration of the fight, and you will only have to DPS the boss and use an encounter-specific ability, at regular intervals.
Overview of the Fight
The encounter against Ultraxion is a single phase encounter, the difficulty of which increases over time. The fight has both a hard and a soft enrage timer, ensuring that close to or at the 6 minute mark, your raid will unavoidably wipe.
During the encounter, you will regularly have to avoid two abilities, by use of an encounter-specific ability, Heroic Will. It will appear on your screen, in the form of a special action bar that looks like this:
Heroic Will has a 5 second cooldown and has no resource cost. It is off the Global Cooldown and it can be cast while you are already casting another spell. Using it has no beneficial effects, and merely allows you to avoid certain mechanics.
Using Heroic Will will put you in a special state, for up to 5 seconds (or until the ability you are avoiding is cast), during which time you cannot perform any action whatsoever (DPS, move).
This ability can be keybound from the Key Bindings Menu (it is called ExtraActionButton1 and it is located in the Action Bar Functions section). The button may may not display properly (or at all) if you are using any action bar add-ons, although this does not affect the aforementioned key-binding's efficiency. Alternatively, you can use the following macro:
- /click ExtraActionButton1
Clicking this macro (which, of course, can be keybound), has the same effect as clicking the Heroic Will button.
As a DPS player, you will not have to move at all during the encounter, and you will simply stack together with the rest of the raid. You should focus on doing as much DPS as possible, while keeping the following in mind:
- Whenever Ultraxion begins casting Hour of Twilight (it is shown clearly as an emote on your screen, and you can also see the boss' cast bar), use Heroic Will, unless your raid leader has specifically asked you otherwise. In the latter case, you will need to use one of your class' abilities in order to survive the 300,000 damage attack. Your raid leader will inform you further. This ability will occur every 45 seconds.
- Whenever you are debuffed with Fading Light, use your Heroic Will ability when there are fewer than 5 seconds left on the debuff timer.
The heroic mode of the Ultraxion encouner is very similar to the normal mode. The only change that will seriously impact you, as a DPS player, is that the DPS requirement for beating the enrage timer is much higher than in normal mode.
In addition to this, more players now receive the Fading Light debuff, so you have an increased chance of getting it.
Finally, there is an increased chance that you will have to survive Hour of Twilight instead of using Heroic Will to bypass it. Your raid leader will instruct you regarding this. Keep in mind that, in heroic mode, a debuff is applied each time you survive an Hour of Twilight. The debuff lasts 2 minutes and causes you to instantly die to Hour of Twilight should you try to survive it again.
In all likelihood, you will have to survive every third Hour of Twilight, as part of a rotation with your other raid members.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power
- Arms Warrior PvP
- Shadow Priest Leveling
- Destruction Warlock PvP 9.0.1
- Torghast Box of Many Things
- Balance Druid Shadowlands
- Xbox one and chatpad
- Can I use A chatpad for the xbox one controller with wow?
- The Last Sigil