Primal Storms (Dragonflight Pre-Patch Event Guide) (10.0.2)
The Dragonflight pre-patch event is live starting November 15. Learn more about the Primal Storms and the rewards they offer.
The Dragonflight pre-patch event will become available on live servers starting November 15th, 2022, in the Americas and one day later in Europe. It revolves around repelling Primal Storms and farming Primeval Essences from empowered creatures in four major zones across Azeroth. Players can turn in the currency for Item Level 252 catch-up gear, a toy, and a 20-slot reagent bag. Elemental bosses will drop fragments, which you can combine into an Heirloom Trinket. Completing the pre-patch event rewards the Against the Elements Feat of Strength achievement. During the pre-patch event, you can also queue up for a Level 60 version of the Uldaman: Legacy of Tyr Dragonflight Dungeon.
Minimum Level to Participate in the Dragonflight Pre-Patch Event
You must be Level 10 and above to participate in the event, and you can use Primal Storms for levelling. The intro quest will automatically pop up in your Quest Log. Alliance players must seek out Wrathion in Stormwind. Horde players must talk to Ebyssian in Orgrimmar.
If you do not have flying unlocked, you will receive a Bronze Drake to help you complete the quest.
Dragonflight Pre-Patch Event Quests
After completing the first few intro quests in Stormwind and Orgrimmar, you will end up with the following quests that are worth completing due to their rewards.
- Legacy of Tyr: Secrets of the Past — To complete the quest, you must be Level 60 and recover the Disc of Tyr's memories from Uldaman in Badlands. The quest rewards an Item Level 278 weapon. Queue up for Uldaman and clear the dungeon to complete the quest objective.
- A Primal Threat — The quest offered by Khadgar rewards 30 Primeval Essences and the Primal Stormling pet. It is completed by collecting 10 Mote of Primal Energy from active primal storm locations. Completing it unlocks a daily quest for 30 Essences.
Dragonflight Pre-Patch Event Currency
Primeval Essence is the Dragonflight pre-patch event currency. You will receive it from Elementally Imbued creatures in active primal storm locations and various quests tied to the event. The currency is account-bound and can be sent over to alts.
You will need 525 Primeval Essence to fully gear a character.
- Each invasion boss drops 20-30 Primeval Essences when defeated.
- Elites grant you 5 Primeval Essences.
- Non-elite Imbued creatures drop 1-2 Primeval Essence.
- The first time you defeat an invasion boss, you will also receive Sigil of Storms (quest item) which grants 60 Primeval Essences upon completion.
- You will receive 30 Primeval Essences from the Primal Threat quest offered by Khadgar and another 30 from a daily quest that unlocks afterwards.
Periodically, three locations will be invaded by Primalist forces for 2 hours and 45 minutes. Primal Storms are available in these locations:
- Northern Barrens;
- Un'Goro Crater.
The zone which is currently under attack will be marked with an icon on the world map.
When you open the zone map with an active Primal Storm, you will notice all areas which are under attack and one marked with a skull. This is where the boss spawns.
Each Primal Storm consists of two stages. The first stage is called Primal Ward, where players must defeat elemental creatures to bring the Elemental Protection progress bar down to 0. This is a zone-wide effort, and you only need to be present in the zone to receive credit. The invasion boss is invulnerable during this stage.
The second stage named Containing the Elements begins when the invasion boss becomes attackable. You must defeat the unleashed elemental to complete the phase and clear the primal storm in the area.
Invasion bosses spawn every 20 minutues. When killed, they have a chance to drop 20-30 Primeval Essences, catch-up gear for alts that scales with level, a Sigil of Storms quest item on your first kill, which you turn in for 60 Primeval Essence, and one of four fragments that you combine into an Heirloom Trinket.
Primal Storm Types
There are four invasion types — earth, fire, storm, and water. Each invasion comes with specific mobs and environmental hazards that you must tackle.
Dragonflight Pre-Patch Event Rewards
During the pre-patch event, you can reap the following rewards:
- Item Level 252 Gear from Storm Hunter William in Stormwind or Storm Huntress Suhrakka in Durotar.
- Catch-up gear that scales with your level from invasion bosses.
- Bag of Furious Winds — A toy which costs 100 Primeval Essences.
- Storm-Battered Reagent Bag — A 20-slot Reagent Bag for 5 Primeval Essences.
- Unstable Elemental Confluence — An Heirloom Trinket, which you get by combining four fragments from the Elemental bosses. Please note that the fragments are not guaranteed drops.
- Against the Elements — You must defeat each of the elemental lords during the Dragonflight pre-patch event to receive the Feat of Strength.
- An Item Level 278 weapon from the Uldaman quest.
- The Primal Stormling battle pet from the Primal Threat quest offered by Khadgar.
Dragonflight Pre-Patch Event Storm Vendor Locations
The Alliance Storm Vendor is located near at Stormwind Docks where the boat to Boralus departs.
The Horde Storm Vendor can be found outside Orgrimmar at the new zeppelin tower near Orgrimmar Docks.
Dragonflight Pre-Patch Event Catch-Up Gear
Storm Vendors sell Item Level 252 gear for Primeval Essences. You must be Level 60 to equip the gear sold by the vendors. Note that the gear is not BoA and you cannot send it to other characters on your account. The cost of items varies depending on the armor slot.
- One-Hand Weapons cost 25 Primeval Essences;
- Two-Hand Weapons cost 45 Primeval Essences;
- Shield/Off-Hands cost 25 Primeval Essences;
- Head/Chest/Legs/Trinkets cost 45 Primeval Essences;
- Neck/Shoulders/Feet/Gloves cost 35 Primeval Essences;
- Back/Wrists/Rings cost 25 Primeval Essences;
Uldaman, Legacy of Tyr Dungeon
During the pre-patch event, characters at Level 60 can also queue for Normal difficulty of the Uldaman: Legacy of Tyr Dungeon for Item Level 278 loot.
Completing the associated quest and clearing Uldaman in Badlands rewards an Item Level 278 weapon.
We have rounded up all the information about the dungeon in one handy guide.
When Will the Dragonflight Pre-Patch End?
The pre-patch event will end with the launch of Dragonflight on November 28th, 2022.
- 17 Nov. 2022: Added asset for the Water invasion and fixed invasion duration.
- 16 Nov. 2022: Tirisfal Glades Invasions are disabled.
- 15 Nov. 2022: Primeval Essences are account-wide.
- 13 Nov. 2022: Updated for November 15.
- 10 Nov. 2022: Updated the cost of Trinkets.
- 22 Oct. 2022: Guide added.
- Underlight Angler Can be Slotted into Fishing Profession Equipment
- First Encrypted Patch 10.0.5 Encrypted Build Appears on Blizzard CDN
- Dragonflight 10.0.2 Pre-Patch Hotfixes: November 22nd
- Dragonflight Season 1 Class Set Tuning: November 22nd
- Weekly Dragonflight Content and Rewards Removed in the First Days of the Expansion
- Darkmoon Decks in the Dragonflight Expansion
- The Story So Far: Take Wing Through Time with the Dragon Aspects
- Dragonflight Ads Featuring David Harbour, Pedro Pascal and Lana Condor