Affliction Warlock Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, we go over the new Essence system in Patch 8.2 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Affliction Warlock, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.2 Guide to Essences for more information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Affliction Warlocks
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
Our Essence Guide has a full list of all the Essences, together with their descriptions and explanations on how they work.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Disclaimer: Please note that at the moment, simulations and general theorycrafting around Essences is a work in progress, and as a result, most of the recommendations made here are subject to change.
Choosing Essences as an Affliction Warlock
Each Essence has 4 different ranks. While the last rank is purely cosmetic, previous ones can have a noticeable increase in power, thus determining if a certain Essence at a higher rank is your best available option at a given time.
Essences powers scale with Heart of Azeroth item level.
Simulations through Raidbots or done locally can help you decide your best trait, but some degree of critical thinking is required beyond just picking the highest ranking Essence.
Worldvein Resonance is a well-rounded option for both single- and multi-target situations. With multiple users you can achieve 100% uptime on 4 stacks and cover any possible movement requirement. It may not be a good option for open world activities since you tend to travel a lot.
If bigger burst every 2 minutes is required, Memory of Lucid Dreams allows you to pump out more Unstable Afflictions under Dark Soul: Misery. Another option is Vision of Perfection, coupled with at least 1 Dreadful Calling bringing Summon Darkglare's cooldown closer to 2.4 minutes.
For AoE scenarios or in Mythic+, Essence of the Focusing Iris offers higher damage per activation, however maintaining stacks in a multi-target situations can be difficult due to a relative short-duration buff. Consider running Purification Protocol, if you do not feel comfortable with the Essence of the Focusing Iris's minor power or you think you can leverage the 10% damage increase for each dead targets during Purification Protocol's major power activation.
Essence rankings for Affliction Warlock
Once you unlock Rank 3, it suddenly becomes the best option by a long margin. Guardian of Azeroth lines up naturally with your Summon Darkglare enabling eye-watering 20 seconds burst windows every 3 minutes, further amplified by Condensed Life-Force damage increase.
Essence of the Focusing Iris
At Rank 2, this is your best option in single target, but whenever there are multiple targets, Focused Azerite Beam is what you are looking for: a very hard hitting channel every 1.5 minutes.
Focused Energy is a powerful complementary power that gives you valuable haste, often chosen as minor.
The Crucible of Flame
Tied for your best pick at Rank 2, Concentrated Flame becomes your best general option if you do not have access to Condensed Life-Force Rank 3. The addition of a second charge gives more flexibility and bigger burst when needed.
Lifeblood Rank 3
Please notice that we did not mention the whole Essence, but the minor alone. Worldvein Resonance's effect forces 3 Lifeblood Shards to spawn, but by taking the major you are missing out much more impactful Essences.
The minor, however, lets you retain all the benefits without sacrificing a major slot. Consider running this minor as first choice whenever you are doing group content with at least 3 more wearers and there is relatively low movement involved so you can have high uptime.
Rank 3 increases the radius from 8 yards to 12 yards, making the minor much more usable in actual encounters.
Essence notes for Affliction Warlock
- Blood of the Enemy's major power ( Blood of the Enemy) requires you to be in melee range in order to benefit from the increased critical strike chance on targets. Its minor power ( Blood-Soaked) is one of the strongest available. It has no internal cooldown and procs off every instance of damage that crits, which means AoE spells that crits on multiple targets will give you multiple stacks. Being a DoT spec, Affliction has a high number of damage instances per minute, even in single-target situations, allowing you to reliably reach 40 stacks in 1 minute or less.
- Condensed Life-force's major power ( Guardian of Azeroth) lines up naturally with Summon Darkglare further increasing the 3-minute burst. Each shard from both the major power and the minor power ( Condensed Life-Force) applies a 6 second debuff increasing all damage you do to that target, stacking with Unstable Affliction passive 10% damage increase.
- Conflict and Strife (major power: Conflict, minor power: Strife) enables the passive Endless Affliction, which has been reworked in 8.2
- Essence of the Focusing Iris's major power ( Focused Azerite Beam) has an initial cast followed by a channel that does all the damage. Its minor power ( Focused Energy) grants you a buff on spell impact, Affliction being one of the best specs to maintain that buff with DoT applications.
- Memory of Lucid Dreams's major power ( Memory of Lucid Dreams) allows for a bigger Unstable Afflictions burst during Dark Soul: Misery. Its minor power ( Lucid Dreams) often results in a handful of extra shard each minute.
- Purification Protocol's major power ( Purifying Blast) becomes strong once you can leverage the 10% damage buff for each target dying during its effect. Its minor power ( Purification Protocol) is rather mediocre unless it hits Aberrations.
- Ripple in Space's major power ( Ripple in Space) works like a 2-second delayed Blink with a bit of damage, rather unappealing as Warlock in general, considering we have both Demonic Gateway and Demonic Circle. Its minor power ( Reality Shift) can be procced by using Demonic Circle and Demonic Gateway, as well as by moving for more than 25 yards in 4 seconds since you last cast a spell.
- The Crucible of Flame's major power ( Concentrated Flame) is a straightforward single-target damaging spell, on a 30-second cooldown. Its minor power ( Ancient Flame) is one of the strongest (if not the strongest) option for single-target situations.
- The Unbound Force's major power ( The Unbound Force) is rather underwhelming unless you can sync it with its minor power. Its minor power ( Reckless Force) seems to have around 40-50% proc chance off your non crits. Depending on the situation, you can probably sync it with Phantom Singularity.
- Vision of Perfection's major power ( Vision of Perfection) does not really have a big impact on Affliction, due to the reduced 2-second DoT extension you get from additional Darkglares. Its minor power ( Strive for Perfection), coupled with Dreadful Calling can bring Summon Darkglare's cooldown close to 2 minutes in a multi-target situation.
- Worldvein Resonance's major power ( Worldvein Resonance) allows you to maintain high stacks after moving. Its minor power ( Lifeblood) allows you to benefit from the main stat increase at the expense of relying on other people when movements is required, if you take the major power of another essence.
Essence Comparison Simulations for Affliction Warlocks
As with all simulations provided in our guides, they only provide a general guideline.Please use Raidbots.com to sim your own character.
Single-Target Esssence Simulations for Affliction Warlock
Major Essences for Affliction Warlock
Minor Essences for Affliction Warlock
AoE Esssence Simulations for Affliction Warlock
Major Essences for Affliction Warlock
Minor Essences for Affliction Warlock
- 15 Jul. 2019: Updated Essence recommendations.
- 25 Jun. 2019: Page created.
- The 15-year WoW Anniversary Event Starts this Week!
- BlizzCon 2019 in 3 Minutes
- Pathfinder Removal for Old Expansions in Shadowlands (Speculation)
- The Mysterious Jailer is the Main Villain in Shadowlands
- MMO-Champion BlizzCon 2019 Interview
- Dying & Corpse Running in the Shadowlands
- MrGM BlizzCon 2019 Interview
- Tier Sets Won't Be Returning in WoW Shadowlands
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Warlock Leveling Guide
- Rogue Leveling Guide
- Venthyr Covenant
- Night Fae Covenant
- Necrolord Covenant
- Kyrian Covenant
- Covenants Hub