Affliction Warlock DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.0.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Affliction Warlock in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.0.5.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Affliction Warlock gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Affliction Warlock
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Affliction Warlock, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
Gearing Early on in Shadowlands as Affliction Warlock
When Season 1 of Shadowlands begins, most of your gear will come from either Raiding, Mythic+, PvP, or the weekly chest. However, none of these options are available in the first couple of weeks of Shadowlands. Below, we go over some of the best ways to get geared early on in Shadowlands.
- Covenant Callings: These are daily quests that can give you up to 200 item level gear and Conduits.
- The Maw: Rares and Events in The Maw can drop up to 184 item level gear.
- Battlegrounds: You can exchange Honor Points for u to item level 184 gear.
- Mythic dungeons: Although Mythic+ is not open yet, standard Mythic dungeons are open. These drop 184 item level loot and can be looted once per week.
- Reputation: Getting honored allows you to buy 181 item level gear and getting exalted gives 200 item level gear.
How To Effectively Compare Upgrades as an Affliction Warlock
Due to the simplicity of determining upgrades with a simulation in the current era of the game, we recommend using the popular Raidbots tool to determine which pieces of gear offer the most potential for your character. The main reason why this is a huge advantage is due to the huge number of variables that differ from character to character, such as Stat Quotients, and Scale Factors.
The Top Gear function can be especially useful, as it allows you to compare multiple items and item types to find the best combination of upgrades.
Learning to use the tools available will allow you to reach the most accurate conclusions with the least effort. It is highly recommended you avail yourself of these tools, and they will serve you well when evaluating items.
The Droptimizer feature from Raidbots lets you identify which dungeons and Raid Bosses you should spend your Bonus Rolls on. It simulates all of the potential upgrades in a raid or a dungeon, and lists the bosses/dungeons by rank order of how much DPS you can expect to gain from bonus rolling on it. We have a guide for it that you can access using the link below.
Legendaries for Affliction Warlock
Both Relic of Demonic Synergy (Head) and Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir (Chest) are extremely important in both raiding and Mythic+ situations. It is advisable to craft them with Missive of Mastery and Missive of Haste.
After crafting and upgrading the above 2 choices, it is advisable to consider crafting other more niche choices, such as:
- Sacrolash's Dark Strike (Legs), to unlock limited slowing potential with Absolute Corruption.
- Malefic Wrath (Shoulder), a very powerful but situational damage increase legendary.
If you are looking for an in-depth explanation on what Legendary to pick for what situation and how to obtain them, read our Legendary page below.
Conduits for Affliction Warlock
Best Single-Target Potency Conduits for Affliction Warlock
Best Cleave / AoE Potency Conduits for Affliction Warlock
For more info regarding what Conduits to pick for what situation, check our full Covenants, Soulbinds, & Conduits page.
Best in Slot Items for Affliction Warlock
Castle Nathria Best in Slot
Here we have provided a list of the best available items from Castle Nathria, which may be advantageous for players who have little interest in Mythic+ dungeons or PvP.
Dungeons Best in Slot
|Helm||Cowl of the Devoted General||General Kaal in Sanguine Depths|
|Neck||Trailspinner Pendant||Mists of Tirna Scithe|
|Shoulder||Castigator's Mantle||Sanguine Depths|
|Cloak||Dealer Xy'exa's Cape||De Other Side|
|Chest||Sinlight Shroud||Halls of Atonement|
|Wrists||Contaminated Gauze Wristwraps||Theater of Pain|
|Gloves||Gory Surgeon's Gloves||The Necrotic Wake|
|Belt||Sash of Exquisite Acquisitions||De Other Side|
|Legs||Purge Protocol Legwraps||Spires of Ascension|
|Boots||Stradama's Misplaced Slippers||Plaguefall|
|Ring #1||Death God's Signet||De Other Side|
|Ring #2||Arachnid Cipher Ring||Plaguefall|
|Main-hand + Off-hand||Nathrian Ferula||Halls of Atonement|
|Trinket 1||Inscrutable Quantum Device||De Other Side|
|Trinket 2||Empyreal Ordnance||Spires of Ascension|
Trinkets for Affliction Warlock
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets via Mythic+, raiding, and PvP, there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
From dungeons, Inscrutable Quantum Device is by far the most potent trinket, rivalling raid trinkets of similar item level, but becomes somewhat inconsistent in the latter part of a fight, due to stat increase being on a lower priority than other triggers. Unbound Changeling is the best passive trinket, and Soulletting Ruby is a good option, especially paired with Dark Soul: Misery. Empyreal Ordnance is worth mentioning as the delay in buff application allows you to run it as a second on-use trinket.
From World Quest and the Covenant Mission table, the most desirable trinket is Instructor's Divine Bell, able to compete with much higher item level trinkets due a very favourable on use stat that lines up very well with affliction burst windows.
Last but not least, Sinful Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity is a solid on use option relatively easier to obtain compared to the rest of the mentioned trinkets.
Trinket Simulations for Affliction Warlock
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Valor Upgrade section for Patch 9.0.5.
- 01 Feb. 2021: Updated trinket section.
- 28 Dec. 2020: Added Sun King Salvation as another source of drop for the Abominable Anima Spherule weapon token.
- 04 Dec. 2020: Updated Castle Nathria BiS list, added dungeons BiS list, and updated trinket recommendations.
- 24 Nov. 2020: Added disclaimer about Bloodmallet sims.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands release, added Legendary and Conduits sections, and Castle Nathria BiS list
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- How to Get Actual Mangos via Battleground Chat. Wait, What?
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: June 14th
- Blizzard Working on Protection Paladin's Threat Issue Bug
- Official Preview of Mythic Rating in Patch 9.1
- Class Tier List for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 1 (Week of June 15)
- Reduced Amount of BoE Gear from Sanctum of Domination
- Official Preview of Maw Updates in Patch 9.1
- Mawsworn Charger's Reins - New Torghast Mount in Patch 9.1