Affliction Warlock DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Affliction Warlock in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Affliction Warlock gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Affliction Warlock
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Affliction Warlock, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
Augmenting the gear as Affliction Warlock
In the current patch, there are multiple ways to further enhance the equipped gear beside enchants.
- The Archivist's Codex sells Alloy-Warping Facetor at Rank 6 reputation for 5000 Catalogued Research, allowing to add a socket to helms, necks, bracers, belts, or rings that do not already have sockets.
- Patch 9.0.5 re-introduced the Valor system, which lets you upgrade your gear from dungeons.
Domination Shards for Affliction Warlock
In Patch 9.1, specific pieces of gear from the Sanctum of Domination raid will have a new type of socket that can contain gems called Shards of Domination, which also drop from raid bosses in the same instance.
For Cloth users, the following gear slots can contain Shards of Domination.
With a maximum of 5 slots available and the inability to equip more than 1 of the same Shard, the choice is limited to a full 3-piece set bonus and 2 other DPS shards.
At the time of writing, activating the Unholy set bonus ( Chaos Bane) appears the best overall option, regardless of target count.
If you would like to know more about the remaining Domination Shards' effects, their set bonuses, or how to upgrade their effects into even more potent forms, please see our official guide detailing everything about this new system of Patch 9.1:
How To Effectively Compare Upgrades as an Affliction Warlock
Due to the simplicity of determining upgrades with a simulation in the current era of the game, we recommend using the popular Raidbots tool to determine which pieces of gear offer the most potential for your character. The main reason why this is a huge advantage is due to the huge number of variables that differ from character to character, such as Stat Quotients, and Scale Factors.
The Top Gear function can be especially useful, as it allows you to compare multiple items and item types to find the best combination of upgrades.
Learning to use the tools available will allow you to reach the most accurate conclusions with the least effort. It is highly recommended you avail yourself of these tools, and they will serve you well when evaluating items.
The Droptimizer feature from Raidbots lets you identify which dungeons and Raid Bosses you should spend your Bonus Rolls on. It simulates all of the potential upgrades in a raid or a dungeon, and lists the bosses/dungeons by rank order of how much DPS you can expect to gain from bonus rolling on it. We have a guide for it that you can access using the link below.
Legendaries for Affliction Warlock
Both Relic of Demonic Synergy (Head) and Malefic Wrath (Hands) Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir (Chest) are extremely important in both raiding and Mythic+ situations. It is advisable to craft them with Missive of Mastery and Missive of Haste.
Prioritise Relic of Demonic Synergy, as it performs extremely well on all 3 specs and offers competitive DPS increase for Affliction in any situation, compared to Malefic Wrath which is exclusive for single target.
After crafting and upgrading the above 2 choices, it is advisable to consider crafting other more niche choices, such as:
- Decaying Soul Satchel (Hands) if Night Fae for multitarget.
- Malefic Wrath (Hands), a very powerful but situational damage increase legendary.
If you are looking for an in-depth explanation on what Legendary to pick for what situation and how to obtain them, read our Legendary page below.
Conduits for Affliction Warlock
Best Single-Target Potency Conduits for Affliction Warlock
Best Cleave / AoE Potency Conduits for Affliction Warlock
For more info regarding what Conduits to pick for what situation, check our full Covenants, Soulbinds, & Conduits page.
Best in Slot Items for Affliction Warlock
Sanctum of Domination Best in Slot
Here we have provided a list of the best available items from Sanctum of Domination, which may be advantageous for players who have little interest in Mythic+ dungeons or PvP.
Dungeons Best in Slot
|Helm||Cowl of the Devoted General||General Kaal in Sanguine Depths|
|Neck||Trailspinner Pendant||Mists of Tirna Scithe|
|Shoulder||Castigator's Mantle||Sanguine Depths|
|Cloak||Dealer Xy'exa's Cape||De Other Side|
|Chest||Sinlight Shroud||Halls of Atonement|
|Wrists||Contaminated Gauze Wristwraps||Theater of Pain|
|Gloves||Gory Surgeon's Gloves||The Necrotic Wake|
|Belt||Sash of Exquisite Acquisitions||De Other Side|
|Legs||Purge Protocol Legwraps||Spires of Ascension|
|Boots||Stradama's Misplaced Slippers||Plaguefall|
|Ring #1||Death God's Signet||De Other Side|
|Ring #2||Arachnid Cipher Ring||Plaguefall|
|Main-hand + Off-hand||Nathrian Ferula||Halls of Atonement|
|Trinket 1||Soulletting Ruby||Theater of Pain|
|Trinket 2||Unbound Changeling||Mists of Tirna Scithe|
Trinkets for Affliction Warlock
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets via Mythic+, raiding, and PvP, there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
In Sanctum of Domination there are a handful of desirable and very competitive trinkets; Tome of Monstrous Constructions is arguably the best single-target passive trinket choice. Titanic Ocular Gland is another top choice, albeit limited in its usability due the heavy constraint in both uptime and downside when going below 50% health. Shadowed Orb of Torment is a very solid on-use option.
From World Quest and the Covenant Mission table, the most desirable trinket is Instructor's Divine Bell, able to compete with much higher item level trinkets due a very favourable on use stat that lines up very well with affliction burst windows.
Last but not least, Sinful Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity is a solid on use option relatively easier to obtain compared to the rest of the mentioned trinkets.
Trinket Simulations for Affliction Warlock
- 08 Sep. 2021: Updated trinket section following Forbidden Necromantic Tome change.
- 26 Aug. 2021: Removed Castle Nathria BiS list, as it is not relevant anymore.
- 30 Jun. 2021: Added Sanctum of Domination bis list, updated trinket section and shard recommendations.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Valor Upgrade section for Patch 9.0.5.
- 01 Feb. 2021: Updated trinket section.
- 28 Dec. 2020: Added Sun King Salvation as another source of drop for the Abominable Anima Spherule weapon token.
- 04 Dec. 2020: Updated Castle Nathria BiS list, added dungeons BiS list, and updated trinket recommendations.
- 24 Nov. 2020: Added disclaimer about Bloodmallet sims.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands release, added Legendary and Conduits sections, and Castle Nathria BiS list
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New 9.1.5 Highmountain Tauren Customizations
- Tempest Keep Classic Cleared World First by Salad Bakers in a Little Over an Hour
- Serpentshrine Cavern Classic Cleared in Under an Hour World First by Progress
- Patch 9.1 and BCC Hotfixes: September 15th
- Burning Crusade Classic: Overlords of Outland Is Now Live!
- New Fel Guardian Druid Mage Tower Appearance in Patch 9.1.5
- Burning Crusade Classic Phase 2 "Not a Bug" List
- Patch 9.1.5 Build 40196 Affix Changes