Affliction Warlock Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.0.5
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Affliction Warlock, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
Located within the Torghast tower lies the ability to craft unique gear of higher item level featuring specific Legendary powers. This guide will help the player to choose the most suited option, as currently only 1 Legendary item can be equipped at a time. Rankings and an extensive explanation can be found below.
Best Legendaries for Affliction Warlock
Bolded slots are the preferred choice, as these are the slots that have the highest stat budget for a given power or offer the better itemisation within raid and dungeons bis lists.
|Raiding||Relic of Demonic Synergy||Head or Shoulder||Castle Nathria (Stone Legion Generals)|
|Mythic+||Relic of Demonic Synergy||Head or Shoulder||Castle Nathria (Stone Legion Generals)|
|Torghast||Stable Phantasma Lure||Neck, Wrist, or Back||Torghast (Layer 6+)|
|Soloing||Sacrolash's Dark Strike||Legs or Feet||Torghast (Skoldus Halls, Layer 3+)|
Relic of Demonic Synergy is the preferred choice for raiding, as it offers a consistent damage buff regardless of the situation, allowing the luxury of spec-swapping at the same time.
Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir is the best generic option in multi target situations with 3 or more targets when paired with Sow the Seeds or when targets are dying slowly, not allowing to replenish shards by sniping adds with Drain Soul and Unstable Affliction.
Best Overall Legendary for Affliction Warlock
For those who are looking for a reliable Legendary that works in any situation without exclusion, Relic of Demonic Synergy is the best pick, offering a reliable DPS increase with the bonus of being cross-spec at the same time.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Affliction Warlock
In this section, we look at the best Raiding Legendaries for Affliction Warlock.
- Relic of Demonic Synergy is the preferred choice, offering the highest, non-conditional damage increase.
- Malefic Wrath, after being buffed in Patch 9.0.5, is tied with Relic of Demonic Synergy for best single-target performance with Niya soulbind, but gaining more value with other covenant options, due to rotation not being compressed into 1-minute burst loops.
- Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir goes from second to best option as the target count increases, by passively increasing Shard generation in situations where sniping adds frequently is not an option.
- Sacrolash's Dark Strike makes its return as the go-to choice whenever multiple targets need to be slowed permanently in conjunction with Absolute Corruption. If this situation is required, this Legendary turns into an extremely compelling choice, if not being straight up mandatory.
- Wrath of Consumption (after being buffed in 9.0.5) offers a very strong output in ideal conditions where there is a steady amount of targets dying, resulting in high buff uptime. When this condition is not met, however, it turns into an underwhelming and punishing choice. It does not work with Malefic Rapture and its usability is definitely inferior to Relic of Demonic Synergy.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Affliction Warlock
In this section, we look at the best Mythic+ Legendaries for Affliction Warlock.
- Relic of Demonic Synergy is currently the top performer due to a combination of talents that favours burst phases and targets dying often in a dungeon, thus allowing additional shards to be gained and mitigating the effectiveness of its direct competitor Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir.
- Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir remains the best option whenever there are at least 3 targets to be cleaved and no opportunities to snipe shards.
- Sacrolash's Dark Strike offers very valuable kiting potential if needed.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Affliction Warlock
In this section, we look at the best Torghast Legendaries for Affliction Warlock.
- Stable Phantasma Lure is a special Legendary that increases the Torghast-only currency you get by a significant amount. While the value of this currency can vary wildly between runs, depending on your build and what is available from the vendors, buying powers is still one of the best ways to complete a synergistic build on a Torghast run, and this Legendary will help you get there faster.
- Relic of Demonic Synergy offers the most reliable damage increase, without being diminished or nullified by specific Anima Powers.
- Claw of Endereth can offer increased sustain through faster Drain Life.
Due the limited availability of Soul Ash obtainable each week from Torghast, it is recommended to focus on the Legendary (or the Legendaries) with the bigger impact on the activities relevant to the player.
The choice between crafting multiple Legendaries or a single one of a higher level mostly depends on what spec/content the player focuses on, and the degree of flexibility versus focused power desired.
If the focus is a single spec, it is advisable to craft the most impactful choice at the highest possible level.
If the focus is flexibility across multiple spec the more sensible path is to start with Relic of Demonic Synergy as starting point, branching out accordingly to the spec played:
- Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir for Affliction in Dungeons and multi target scenarios;
- Forces of the Horned Nightmare for Demonology;
- Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning for Destruction.
Below is a quick break-down of the expected legendary upgrade cadence, based on current Soul Ash income:
- Week 1 — 1 Rank 1 item
- Week 2 — 1 Rank 2 item
- Week 3 — 1 Rank 3 item OR 1 Rank 2 item + 1 Rank 1 item
- Week 4 — 1 Rank 3 item + 1 Rank 1 item OR 2 Rank 2 items
- Week 5 — 1 Rank 4 item OR 1 Rank 3 item + 1 Rank 2 item OR 2 Rank 2 items + 1 Rank 1 item
- Week 6 — 1 Rank 4 item + 1 Rank 1 item OR 2 Rank 3 items OR 3 Rank 2 items
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Malefic Wrath legendary as single-target option after 9.0.5 buff and expanded WoC case use.
- 01 Feb. 2021: Updated Synergy as the recommended mythic+ legendary craft, updated reasoning and use cases for some legendary choices.
- 28 Dec. 2020: Updated dungeon Legendary recommendation.
- 03 Dec. 2020: Added crafting strategy section.
- 21 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- More Detailed Sanctum of Domination Seak Peek Preview
- All Bear Druid Heroic Castle Nathria Clear
- Shaman & Warrior Class Changes in Patch 9.1 Build 38312
- How to Unlock Using Mounts in the Maw and Korthia in Patch 9.1
- Warlock Class Changes in Patch 9.1 Build 38312
- Rogue Class Changes in Patch 9.1 Build 38312
- A Fan-Made Pepe Mount and... a Literal Gnome Mount??
- How to Get the Slime Serpent Secret Mount in Shadowlands