Affliction Warlock Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.1.5
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Affliction Warlock, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
Located within the Torghast tower lies the ability to craft unique gear of higher item level featuring specific Legendary powers. This guide will help the player to choose the most suited option, as currently only 1 Legendary item can be equipped at a time. Rankings and an extensive explanation can be found below.
Best Legendaries for Affliction Warlock
Bolded slots are the preferred choice, as these are the slots that have the highest stat budget for a given power or offer the better itemisation within raid and dungeons bis lists.
|Raiding||Relic of Demonic Synergy||Back, Head or Shoulder||Castle Nathria (Stone Legion Generals)|
|Mythic+||Relic of Demonic Synergy||Back, Head or Shoulder||Castle Nathria (Stone Legion Generals)|
|Torghast||Stable Phantasma Lure||Neck, Wrist, or Back||Torghast (Layer 6+)|
Relic of Demonic Synergy is the preferred choice for raiding, as it offers a consistent damage buff regardless of the situation, allowing the luxury of spec-swapping at the same time.
Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir is the best non-Covenant specific option in multi target situations with 3 or more targets when paired with Sow the Seeds or when targets are dying slowly, not allowing to replenish shards by sniping adds with Drain Soul and Unstable Affliction.
New Legendaries in Patch 9.1 for Affliction Warlock
Among the new covenant legendaries introduced in the patch 9.1, the only relevant option for Affliction is the Night Fae Decaying Soul Satchel, which perfectly fits the Affliction damage model and provides the highest overall output when cleaving at least 3 targets with Soul Rot.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Affliction Warlock
In this section, we look at the best Raiding Legendaries for Affliction Warlock.
- Relic of Demonic Synergy is the preferred choice, offering the highest, non-conditional damage increase.
- Malefic Wrath, after being buffed in Patch 9.0.5, is technically higher than Relic of Demonic Synergy for single-target performance at the expense of a weaker burst cycles, and higher emphasis on uptime on target.
- Night Fae players have access to the Covenant-specific Decaying Soul Satchel which offer the highest performance on 3 or more targets. For other covenants Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir is the alternative.
- Wrath of Consumption (after being buffed in 9.0.5) offers a very strong output in ideal conditions where there is a steady amount of targets dying, resulting in high buff uptime. When this condition is not met, however, it turns into an underwhelming and punishing choice. It does not work with Malefic Rapture and its usability is definitely inferior to Relic of Demonic Synergy.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Affliction Warlock
In this section, we look at the best Mythic+ Legendaries for Affliction Warlock.
- Relic of Demonic Synergy is currently the top performer due to a combination of talents that favours burst phases and targets dying often in a dungeon, thus allowing additional shards to be gained and mitigating the effectiveness of its direct competitor Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir.
- Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir remains the best option whenever there are at least 3 targets to be cleaved and no opportunities to snipe shards.
- Decaying Soul Satchel is a better option than Perpetual Agony of Azj'Aqir but is limited to Night Fae.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Affliction Warlock
In this section, we look at the best Torghast Legendaries for Affliction Warlock.
- Stable Phantasma Lure is a special Legendary that increases the Torghast-only currency you get by a significant amount. While the value of this currency can vary wildly between runs, depending on your build and what is available from the vendors, buying powers is still one of the best ways to complete a synergistic build on a Torghast run, and this Legendary will help you get there faster.
- Relic of Demonic Synergy offers the most reliable damage increase, without being diminished or nullified by specific Anima Powers.
- Claw of Endereth can offer increased sustain through faster Drain Life.
What Slot Should Legendaries by Crafted For?
There are few elements to take into consideration when deciding what slot to dedicate for a legendary craft:
- First and foremost there is the stat budget of individual slots which favour the likes of Head, Chest and Legs for their higher amount of stats overall.
- Secondly, people actively clearing Raiding have access to the last two bosses' loot table, which present higher item level, thus crafting a Legendary in these slots is relatively less appealing.
- In the same vein, in Patch 9.1 the introduction of Shards of Domination further restricts the slot choice since Head, Shoulder, Chest, Wrist and Waist can accommodate this new type of gem.
- Last but not least, crafting multiple legendaries that share a similar slot makes swapping less inconvenient and does not require carrying spare gear.
As a result, the Season 2 legendary priority list is as follow:
- Hands and Back
- Feet and Neck
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Malefic Wrath legendary as single-target option after 9.0.5 buff and expanded WoC case use.
- 01 Feb. 2021: Updated Synergy as the recommended mythic+ legendary craft, updated reasoning and use cases for some legendary choices.
- 28 Dec. 2020: Updated dungeon Legendary recommendation.
- 03 Dec. 2020: Added crafting strategy section.
- 21 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- Get Your Legion Paragon Chest Rewards Now With Massively Boosted Drops!
- Patch 9.2: Paladin Tier Set Preview
- The Most Popular DPS for Mythic+ in Patch 9.1.5 (Week #4)
- Jaina Vs. Anduin in the Sylvanas Fight: An "Epic" Battle
- Sepulcher of the First Ones Raid Weapon Visual Preview (Video)
- Icy Veins Black Friday Giveaway!
- New Gladiator PvP Trinkets in Patch 9.2
- A Preview of Wombat Mounts Coming in Patch 9.2