Destruction Warlock DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Destruction Warlock in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Destruction Warlock gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Destruction Warlock
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Destruction Warlock, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
Augmenting the gear as Destruction Warlock
In the current patch, there are multiple ways to further enhance the equipped gear, beside enchants.
- The Archivist's Codex sells Alloy-Warping Facetor at Rank 6 reputation for 5000 Catalogued Research, allowing to add a socket to helms, necks, bracers, belts, or rings that do not already have sockets.
- Patch 9.0.5 re-introduced the Valor system, which lets you upgrade your gear from dungeons.
Domination Shards for Destruction Warlock
In Patch 9.1, specific pieces of gear from the Sanctum of Domination raid will have a new type of socket that can contain gems called Shards of Domination, which also drop from raid bosses in the same instance.
For Cloth users, the following gear slots can contain Shards of Domination.
With a maximum of 5 slots available and the inability to equip more than 1 of the same Shard, the choice is limited to a full 3-piece set bonus and 2 other DPS shards.
If you would like to know more about the remaining Domination Shards' effects, their set bonuses, or how to upgrade their effects into even more potent forms, please see our official guide detailing everything about this new system of Patch 9.1:
How To Effectively Compare Upgrades as an Destruction Warlock
Due to the simplicity of determining upgrades with a simulation in the current era of the game, we recommend using the popular Raidbots tool to determine which pieces of gear offer the most potential for your character. The main reason why this is a huge advantage is due to the huge number of variables that differ from character to character, such as Stat Quotients, and Scale Factors.
The Top Gear function can be especially useful, as it allows you to compare multiple items and item types to find the best combination of upgrades.
Learning to use the tools available will allow you to reach the most accurate conclusions with the least effort. It is highly recommended you avail yourself of these tools, and they will serve you well when evaluating items.
The Droptimizer feature from Raidbots lets you identify which dungeons and Raid Bosses you should spend your Bonus Rolls on. It simulates all of the potential upgrades in a raid or a dungeon, and lists the bosses/dungeons by rank order of how much DPS you can expect to gain from bonus rolling on it. We have a guide for it that you can access using the link below.
Legendaries for Destruction Warlock
Both Cinders of the Azj'Aqir (Legs) and Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning (Finger) are extremely important in both Raiding and Mythic+ situations. It is advisable to craft them with Missive of Mastery and Missive of Haste.
After crafting and upgrading the above 2 choices, it is advisable to consider crafting other more niche choices such as:
- Madness of the Azj'Aqir and Odr, Shawl of the Ymirjar offer value with periodic cleave scenarios, augmenting Havoc windows; the former shines whenever you can sustain chaining Chaos Bolts, while the latter offers a flat damage increase on the secondary target affected by Havoc and can also be used in single target with great effect.
- Relic of Demonic Synergy (Head) — enables multi-spec and is overall a very solid option in both single-target and AoE.
If you are looking for in-depth explanation on what Legendary to pick for what situation and how to obtain them, read our Legendary page below.
Conduits for Destruction Warlock
Best Single-Target Potency Conduits for Destruction Warlock
Best Cleave / AoE Potency Conduits for Destruction Warlock
For more info regarding which Conduits to pick for which situations, check our full Covenants, Soulbinds & Conduits page.
Best in Slot Items for Destruction Warlock
Sanctum of Domination Best in Slot
Here we have provided a list of the best available items from Sanctum of Domination, which may be advantageous for players who have little interest in Mythic+ dungeons or PvP.
Dungeons Best in Slot
|Helm||Depraved Physician's Mask||Plaguefall|
|Neck||Sin Stained Pendant||Halls of Atonement|
|Shoulder||Reanimator's Mantle||The Necrotic Wake|
|Cloak||Drape of Twisted Loyalties||Spires of Ascension|
|Chest||Sinlight Shroud||Halls of Atonement|
|Wrists||Contaminated Gauze Wristwraps||Theater of Pain|
|Gloves||Stonefiend Shaper's Mitts||Halls of Atonement|
|Belt||Kin-Tara's Baleful Cord||Spires of Ascension|
|Legs||Leggings of the Erudite Scholar||Plaguefall|
|Boots||Dark Stride Footwraps||Spires of Ascension|
|Ring #1||Death God's Signet||De Other Side|
|Ring #2||Arachnid Cipher Ring||Plaguefall|
|Main-hand + Off-hand||Nathrian Ferula||Halls of Atonement|
|Trinket 1||Soulletting Ruby||Theater of Pain|
|Trinket 2||Unbound Changeling||Mists of Tirna Scithe|
Trinkets for Destruction Warlock
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets via Mythic+, raiding, and PvP, there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
In Sanctum of Domination there are a handful of desirable and very competitive trinkets; Tome of Monstrous Constructions is arguably the best single-target passive trinket choice. Titanic Ocular Gland is another top choice, albeit limited in its usability due the heavy constraint in both uptime and downside when going below 50% health. Shadowed Orb of Torment is a very solid on-use option and the synergy with both Rain of Chaos and Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning is undeniable.
From dungeons, Inscrutable Quantum Device is by far the most potent trinket for non- Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning builds, but becomes somewhat inconsistent in the latter part of a fight due to its stat increase effect being on a lower priority than other triggers. Infinitely Divisible Ooze and Unbound Changeling are the 2 best passive trinkets. Soulletting Ruby works well when paired with Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning and Rain of Chaos.
Trinket Simulations for Destruction Warlock
- 08 Sep. 2021: Updated trinket section following Forbidden Necromantic Tome change.
- 26 Aug. 2021: Removed Castle Nathria BiS list, as it is not relevant anymore.
- 30 Jun. 2021: Added Sanctum of Domination bis list, updated trinket section and shard recommendations.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 21 Mar. 2021: Updated trinket recommendations.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Valor Upgrade section for Patch 9.0.5.
- 28 Dec. 2020: Added Sun King Salvation as another source of drop for the Abominable Anima Spherule weapon token.
- 04 Dec. 2020: Updated Castle Nathria BiS list, added dungeons BiS list, and updated trinket recommendations.
- 24 Nov. 2020: Added disclaimer about Bloodmallet sims.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands release, added Legendary and Conduits sections, and Castle Nathria BiS list
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- More Realistic 3D Renders of WoW Characters
- Shadowlands 9.1 Season 2 Mythic+ DPS, Tank and Healer Log Rankings, Week 14
- Rogue Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- Death Knight Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- Finkle Einhorn Renamed to Pip Quickwit
- Patch 9.1, BCC and WoW Classic Hotfixes: October 12th
- Unlock Sarge Free in World of Warcraft Starting Today
- Players Waiting in Line for Loot from the Weekly Chest