Affliction Warlock DPS Stat Priority — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Affliction Warlock. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.5.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Affliction Warlock stat priority.
The Basics of Stats for an Affliction Warlock
The stat priority for an Affliction Warlock is:
- Critical Strike;
This stat priority was determined using a SimulationCraft profile in standard BiS gear with normalized stats. It was meant to simulate a very "average" set of player gear, but you should refer to this information with care. It is highly recommended you sim yourself to determine which stats your character gets maximum benefit out of, as this is subject to change depending on your ratios.
Most players will notice their stat priority shifts as they acquire higher item levels, due to the variance in scaling.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Diminishing Return on Secondary Stats
At the Shadowlands release a diminishing return system was put in place with different tiers that will incur an increased penalty in the overall stat amount. With acces to a higher total amount of secondary stats in this tier, players can now feel the effect and it could alter some gearing choices.
- From 0 to 30%, there is no penalty.
- From 30% to 39%, there is a 10% penalty.
- From 39% to 47%, there is a 20% penalty.
- From 47% to 54%, there is a 30% penalty.
- From 54% to 66%, there is a 40% penalty.
- From 66% to 126%, there is a 50% penalty.
- You can't get more than 126% from gear rating.
In practical terms it should not have much of an impact when using SimulationCraft/Raidbot as the tools are already accounting for it.
Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
Your stat priority has a direct impact on your gem, enchant, and consumable choices, and you can find recommendations for all 3 on our dedicated page below.
Statistics Explanations for Affliction Warlock
Intellect is your primary stat. You should look for this stat in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.
Mastery, through Mastery: Potent Afflictions increases the damage of your DoTs ( Agony, Corruption, Seed of Corruption, and Unstable Affliction) and Malefic Rapture. Mastery does not affect your pets or Soul Shard generation at all.
Haste influences the cast speed of your spells and increases the number of ticks from your DoTs. This decreases the ramp up damage from Agony as well. Haste also reduces the global cooldown and scales with your pets. Since an increased number of DoT ticks also results in more Soul Shards, we can look at Haste as the stat that has the most effect on our resource generation.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit with all spells and abilities.
Versatility is a flat-out damage done increase and damage taken reduction.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 22 Feb. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 01 Feb. 2021: Updated Mastery stat explanation.
- 03 Dec. 2020: Stats ranking updated following simulation profile optimisations.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands release, removed Corruptions and updated stat priority.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New Stay Awhile and Listen Dialogue Between Baine Bloodhoof and Mayla Highmountain in Dragonflight
- A Preview of Vicious Mounts in Dragonflight Season 1
- Patch 9.2.7 and Wrath Classic Hotfixes: September 29th
- Battle for Undercity Quest Fix
- Dragonflight Group Loot and BoE Clarifications
- Embodiment of the Storm-Eater Preview in Dragonflight
- New Map Model in Dragonflight
- The Winds of Wisdom XP Buff Returns on October 4