Affliction Warlock DPS Easy Mode — Shadowlands 9.2
On this page, we explain how to easily play Affliction Warlock in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics of an Affliction Warlock
Affliction is a specialization that revolves around maintaining damage over time effects on your active targets. While it may not have many buttons, it requires careful attention to cooldowns and uptimes, with the level of complexity increasing with number of targets. Despite that, it is a good specialization for all levels of players, and it can be streamlined to a simple set of priorities.
For newcomers, it is advisable to browse the Spell Summary page first, in order to learn more about the abilities available and to familiarise yourself with.
Talent Choice for Affliction Warlock
These Talent recommendations are optimized for ease of use. If a talent requires significant optimization to provide DPS gains, we will instead recommend a competitive talent that requires less knowledge to make use of. See the Talents page for a full and objective evaluation of the Talent tree. These talents aim to present a strong build that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Drain Soul
- Level 25: Absolute Corruption
- Level 30: Burning Rush
- Level 35: Phantom Singularity
- Level 40: Mortal Coil
- Level 45: Haunt
- Level 50: Soul Conduit or Dark Soul: Misery
If you are looking to maximise your output as Affliction Warlock instead of simplicity and ease of use you can find a more in-depth analysis and rationale on our talent page as follows:
Stat Priority for Affliction Warlock
Currently, you will want to prioritize secondary stats as follows:
- Mastery ≅ Haste;
- Critical Strike;
In general, at the beginning of the expansion Intellect is more important than secondaries, about 2 if not 3 times better, depending on the secondary stat.
While stats priority is a general guideline, there might be situations where the lists differ. If you are interested in a detailed explanation on Stats with the effects and implications each one of those provides, head to the page below.
Single Target Rotation for Affliction Warlock
- Maintain the Agony DoT.
- Maintain the Unstable Affliction DoT.
- Maintain the Corruption DoT.
- Cast Malefic Rapture if you are at 5 Soul Shards (to avoid wasting Shards).
- Maintain Haunt on the target.
- Cast Phantom Singularity when available.
- Cast Malefic Rapture during Phantom Singularity debuff.
- Cast Drain Soul as a filler.
Be sure to cast Summon Darkglare when you have the maximum amount of DoTs applied. This will extend them and deal strong damage to the main target. In most cases, you want to refresh your main DoTs, and Phantom Singularity, then immediately Summon Darkglare. This combo results in a very large damage spike, as you are able to chain multiple Malefic Raptures with the maximum numbers of periodic effect on target.
Try to not delay Summon Darkglare and instead manage your Soul Shards around its cooldown.
Multiple Target Rotation for Affliction Warlock
When at least 3 targets are stacked together, you should always use your Seed of Corruption to apply and maintain Corruption. Keep Agony applied to all targets (up to 5) for Soul Shard generation and damage. Cast Phantom Singularity on cooldown for damage.
For a more comprehensive explanation on the priority list, including openers, check out the rotation page.
Covenant Choice for Affliction Warlock
While there is good enough balance among Covenants that you can choose the one that thematically resonates with you the most, Night Fae should be mentioned as it is the most versatile across every sort of content available.
If you want a detailed breakdown of each Covenant option, follow the link below:
Legendary Choice for Affliction Warlock
The addition of Memory of Unity in 9.2 enables the use of specific Covenant legendary effect alongside your Primary Legendary Choice. Specifically for Night Fae the effect granted is Decaying Soul Satchel which can be paired with either Malefic Rapture for single target or Wrath of Consumption for multi target situations.
More information about Legedary choices can be found here:
- 22 Feb. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 17 Jan. 2021: Clarified shard usage on AoE.
- 24 Nov. 2020: Updated secondary stat priority in relationship with Intellect.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New Heartbond Lupine Flying Animation in Patch 9.2.5
- Cool New Patch 9.2.5 Windrunner Easter Egg
- Kalimdorathon: Running Kalimdor from South to North IRL
- Patch 9.2.5 Survival Guide - Everything Coming in the World of Warcraft Update
- The Ultimate Silvermoonception
- World First Hardcore Level 99 in Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Season 1
- Bird's Eye View of Various World of Warcraft Maps
- Enigma Arena Changes