Affliction Warlock DPS Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, we explain how to easily play Affliction Warlock in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics of an Affliction Warlock
Affliction is a specialization that revolves around maintaining damage over time effects on your active targets. While it may not have many buttons, it requires careful attention to cooldowns and uptimes, with the level of complexity increasing with number of targets. Despite that, it is a good specialization for all levels of players, and it can be streamlined to a simple set of priorities.
Talent Choice for Affliction Warlock
These Talent recommendations are optimized for ease of use. If a talent requires significant optimization to provide DPS gains, we will instead recommend a competitive talent that requires less knowledge to make use of. See the Talents page for a full and objective evaluation of the Talent tree. These talents aim to present a strong build that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Deathbolt
- Level 30: Absolute Corruption
- Level 45: Burning Rush
- Level 60: Phantom Singularity
- Level 75: Demonic Circle
- Level 90: Haunt
- Level 100: Dark Soul: Misery
Stat Priority for Affliction Warlock
Currently, you will want to prioritize secondary stats as follows:
- Haste ≅ Mastery;
- Critical Strike;
In general, you want a bit more Haste than Mastery for single target, while leaning towards Mastery the more targets are involved.
Essence Choices for Affliction Warlock
For single-target, use Guardian of Azeroth once you unlock Rank 3 in raid, or if you want to further increase your 3-minute burst window; in open world content Concentrated Flame is a well rounded and competitive choice.
Focused Azerite Beam is a must for dungeons and anything involving 2 or more targets.
For single-target situation, pick any of the following minors:
- Condensed Life-Force;
- Ancient Flame;
- Focused Energy, if you are not swapping targets frequently.
When dealing with multiple targets, consider opting for at least one of the following:
Azerite Quick Reference for Affliction Warlock
Single Target Rotation for Affliction Warlock
- Maintain the Agony DoT.
- Maintain the Corruption DoT.
- Apply Unstable Affliction if you have full Soul Shards.
- Maintain Haunt on the target.
- Cast Phantom Singularity when available.
- Cast Deathbolt when available.
- Maintain the Unstable Affliction debuff for the 10% damage increase it provides.
- Cast Shadow Bolt as a filler.
Be sure to cast Summon Darkglare when you have the maximum amount of DoTs applied. This will extend them and deal strong damage to the main target. In most cases, you want to refresh your main DoTs, apply 5 Unstable Afflictions and Phantom Singularity, then immediately Summon Darkglare and cast Deathbolt. This combo results in a very large amount of burst and some impressive sustained damage while the Darkglare persists.
Try to not delay Summon Darkglare and instead manage your shards around its cooldown.
Multiple Target Rotation for Affliction Warlock
When at least 3 targets are stacked together, you should always use your Seed of Corruption to apply and maintain Corruption. Keep Agony applied to all targets (up to 5) for Soul Shard generation and damage. Cast Phantom Singularity on cooldown for damage.
Soul Shards are usually better spent on using Unstable Affliction to buff the Agony and Corruption damage on each target rather than spamming Seed of Corruption. When you reach true AoE scenarios with an extreme number of targets, Soul Shards should be used to fund Seed instead.
- 29 Jul. 2019: Updated Essence recommendations.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 03 Jan. 2019: Added Dark Soul: Misery usage.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 30 Oct. 2018: Updated talents information and advice.
- 16 Oct. 2018: Updated talent advice.
- 26 Aug. 2018: Added Azerite Outer Ring simulations (single target and cleave) for quick reference.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- The 15-year WoW Anniversary Event Starts this Week!
- BlizzCon 2019 in 3 Minutes
- Pathfinder Removal for Old Expansions in Shadowlands (Speculation)
- The Mysterious Jailer is the Main Villain in Shadowlands
- MMO-Champion BlizzCon 2019 Interview
- Dying & Corpse Running in the Shadowlands
- MrGM BlizzCon 2019 Interview
- Tier Sets Won't Be Returning in WoW Shadowlands
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Warlock Leveling Guide
- Rogue Leveling Guide
- Venthyr Covenant
- Night Fae Covenant
- Necrolord Covenant
- Kyrian Covenant
- Covenants Hub