Priest Class Changes for Shadowlands (Patch 9.0.1)
On this page, you will find a list of all Priest changes coming in Shadowlands.
In addition to the class changes listed here, Priest also gain access to class-specific Priest Covenant Abilities that can be used anywhere in the open world, Legendary Powers obtained through Runecarving, Soulbind Conduits, and Anima Powers that only work in Torghast.
- Fade now has an additional effect — Fade now reduces the range at which enemies will attack you.
- All Priests can now use the following abilities:
- Shadow Word: Pain — A word of darkness that causes Shadow damage instantly, an additional Shadow damage over 12 seconds. Shadow Priest generate 4 Insanity.
- Shadow Word: Death — A word of dark binding that inflicts Shadow damage to the target. If the target is not killed by Shadow Word: Death, the caster takes damage equal to the damage inflicted upon the target. Damage increased by 175% to targets below 20%.
- New PvP Talent: Thoughtsteal — Peer into the mind of an enemy, attempting to steal a known spell. If stolen, the victim cannot cast that spell for 20 seconds. Can only be used on Humanoids with mana. If you are unable to find a spell to steal, the cooldown of Thoughtsteal is reset.
- Power Word: Shield — Shields an ally for 15 seconds, absorbing damage. You cannot shield the same target again for 7.5 seconds. Instant-cast, costs 3.1% of Base Mana, 40-yard range.
General Priest Abilities Learned Above Level 50
- Mind Soothe (Level 52) — Soothes the target, reducing the range at which it will attack you by 10 yards. Only affects Humanoid and Dragonkin targets. Does not cause threat. Lasts 20 seconds. Instant-cast, costs 100 Mana, 40-yard range.
- Mass Dispel (Level 54) — Mass Dispel is now potent enough to remove some Magic that is normally undispellable.
- Power Infusion (Level 58) — Infuses the target with power for 20 seconds, increasing Haste by 25%. 40-yard range, instant-cast, 2-minute cooldown.
- New Ability: Mind Sear — Corrosive shadow energy radiates from the target, dealing Shadow damage over 4.5 seconds to all enemies within 10 yards of the target.
- New Ability: Mind Blast — Blasts the target's mind for Shadow damage and has an additional effect: Mind Blast prevents some of the next damage dealt by the enemy.
- Rapture now immediately casts Power Word: Shield on your friendly target when used, if no ally is targeted, Power Word: Shield will be cast on yourself, and its duration has been reduced to 8 seconds (from 10 seconds).
- Holy Nova now deals reduced damage if there are more than 5 targets.
Discipline Priest Talent Changes
- New Talent: Spirit Shell (replaces Luminous Barrier) — For 10 seconds, Penance, Power Word: Radiance, and Atonement create absorb shields instead of healing. Replaces Rapture when talented. Spirit Shell does not have a global cooldown.
- Schism now increases your spell damage to the target by 25% (was 40%).
- Shadow Covenant has been redesigned — Make a shadowy pact, healing the target and 4 other injured allies within 30 yards. For 9 seconds, your Shadow spells deal 25% increased damage and healing, but you cannot cast Holy spells. 30-second cooldown, costs 5% Base Mana.
Discipline Priest Talent Tree
Below is the current talent tree for Discipline Priests.
- Level 15 Talents: Castigation / Twist of Fate / Schism;
- Level 25 Talents: Body and Soul / Masochism / Angelic Feather;
- Level 30 Talents: Shield Discipline / Mindbender / Power Word: Solace;
- Level 35 Talents: Psychic Voice / Dominant Mind / Shining Force;
- Level 40 Talents: Sins of the Many / Contrition / Shadow Covenant;
- Level 45 Talents: Purge the Wicked / Divine Star / Halo;
- Level 50 Talents: Lenience / Spirit Shell / Evangelism.
Discipline Priest Shadowlands Guide
- Circle of Healing is no longer a Talent and learned by all Holy Priests at level 39.
- Holy Fire's instant damage has been increased by 300%, but now has a 1.5-second cast time.
- Holy Nova now deals reduced damage if there are more than 5 targets.
- Prayer of Mending is now instant-cast.
- Smite now costs 0.2% of Base Mana.
Holy Priest Talent Changes
- New Talent: Renewed Faith (replaces Enduring Renewal) — Your healing is increased by 10% on targets with your Renew.
- New Talent: Prayer Circle (replaces Circle of Healing) — Using Circle of Healing reduces the cast time of your Prayer of Healing by 25% for 8 seconds.
- Afterlife now also increases the range of your healing spells while in Spirit of Redemption by 30%.
- Apotheosis now resets the cooldowns of your Holy Words when activated.
- New PvP Talent: Cardinal Mending — Prayer of Mending now heals the target for 10% of their maximum health, ignoring any healing reduction effects.
- New PvP Talent: Divine Ascension — You ascend into the air out of harm's way. While floating, you are only able to cast Holy spells.
- Divine Attendant (PvP Talent) has been removed.
Holy Priest Talent Tree
Below is the current talent tree for Holy Priests.
- Level 15 Talents: Enlightenment / Trail of Light / Renewed Faith;
- Level 25 Talents: Angel's Mercy / Body and Soul / Angelic Feather;
- Level 30 Talents: Cosmic Ripple / Guardian Angel / Afterlife;
- Level 35 Talents: Psychic Voice / Censure / Shining Force;
- Level 40 Talents: Surge of Light / Binding Heal / Prayer Circle;
- Level 45 Talents: Benediction / Divine Star / Halo;
- Level 50 Talents: Light of the Naaru / Apotheosis / Holy Word: Salvation.
Holy Priest Shadowlands Guide
- New Mastery: Mastery: Shadow Weaving — Your damage is increased by 4% for each of Shadow Word: Pain, Vampiric Touch, and Devouring Plague on the target. During Voidform, all targets receive the maximum effect.
- New Ability: Devouring Plague — Afflicts the target with a disease that instantly causes Shadow damage plus an additional 4 Shadow damage over 6 seconds. Heals you for 300% of damage dealt.
- New Ability: Dark Thoughts (Passive) — For each of your damage over time effects on the target, your Mind Flay and Mind Sear have a 2% chance to instantly add a charge of Mind Blast, causing it to be instantly cast, and allowing it to be cast while channeling Mind Flay or Mind Sear within 6 seconds.
- Voidform has been redesigned — Now has a 90-second cooldown and increased damage by 20% for 15 seconds. The ability no longer reduces the cooldown of Mind Blast, but now refreshes the cooldown of Mind Blast and you gain 2 charges while in Voidform. You no longer gain Haste every 0.5 seconds while in Voidform.
- Void Eruption cast time reduced by 40% and no longer requires 90 Insanity to cast.
- Shadowy Apparitions has been redesigned — When you use Mind Blast, Devouring Plague, or Void Bolt, you also create a shadowy version of yourself that floats towards all targets afflicted by your Vampiric Touch, dealing Shadow damage. Critical strikes will cause two Apparitions to be created.
- Shadow Word: Death no longer generates Insanity.
- Mind Blast's Insanity generation is now 8 (was 12).
- Vampiric Touch's Insanity generation is now 5 (was 6).
- Void Bolt's Insanity generation is now 15 (was 20).
- Mind Sear's Insanity generation is now 6 (was 8).
Shadow Priest Abilities Learned Above Level 50
- Shadow Mend (Level 56) — When Shadow Mend is cast on yourself, increases all healing you do to yourself with your own spells by 15% for 15 seconds. Stacks up to 2 times.
Shadow Priest Talent Changes
- New Talent: Death and Madness (replaces Shadowy Insight) — If a target dies within 6 seconds after being struck by your Shadow Word: Death, you gain 73 Insanity over 4 seconds and the cooldown of your Shadow Word: Death is reset.
- New Talent: Unfurling Darkness (replaces Shadow Word: Void) — After casting Vampiric Touch on a target, your next Vampiric Touch within 8 seconds is instant cast and deals Shadow damage immediately. This effect cannot occur more than once every 15 seconds.
- New Talent: Psychic Link (replaces Shadow Word: Death) — Mind Blast deals 50% of its damage to all targets afflicted by your Vampiric Touch within 40 yards.
- New Talent: Searing Nightmare (replaces Dark Void) — Instantly deals Shadow damage to enemies around the target and afflicts them with Shadow Word: Pain. If the enemy is already afflicted by your Shadow Word: Pain, Searing Nightmare's damage is increased by 185%. Only usable while channeling Mind Sear.
- New Talent: Damnation (replaces Lingering Insanity) — Instantly afflicts the target with Shadow Word: Pain, Vampiric Touch, and Devouring Plague free of cost.
- New Talent: Ancient Madness (replaces Dark Ascension) — Voidform increases your critical strike chance by 30% for 15 seconds, reducing by 2% every second.
- New Talent: Hungering Void (replaces Legacy of the Void) — Void Bolt causes the target to become vulnerable to the void, increasing damage taken from the Priest for 6 seconds. Void Bolt cast on vulnerable targets will also extend the duration of your Voidform by 1 second, 2 seconds if Void Bolt critically strikes. This effect can only be active on one target at any time.
- Shadow Crash has been redesigned — Hurl a bolt of slow-moving, far-reaching Shadow energy at the target destination, dealing Shadow damage to all targets within 8 yards. If Shadow Crash hits a lone target, they suffer 25% increased damage from your next Shadow crash within 15 seconds. Stacks up to 2 and generates 8 Insanity.
- Void Torrent no longer pauses your Insanity while used, but now applies Devouring Plague and refreshes the duration of all of your Shadow damage over time effects while channeling.
- Surrender to Madness no longer instantly generates 100 Insanity when used and has a 1.5-minute cooldown (was 3 minutes). Additionally, the ability now has a heartbeat sound effect that speeds up as you reach the end of the spells' duration.
- New PvP Talent: Lasting Plague — Increases the duration of your Devouring Plague by 6 seconds.
- Driven to Madness (PvP Talent) has been redesigned — Now reduces the cooldown of your Void Eruption by 3 seconds when you take damage.
- Shadow Mania (PvP Talent) has been removed.
- Body and Soul (Replaces Perseverance) — Power Word: Shield and Leap of Faith increase your target's movement speed by 40% for 3 seconds.
Shadow Priest Talent Tree
Below is the current talent tree for Shadow Priests.
- Level 15 Talents: Fortress of the Mind / Death and Madness / Unfurling Darkness;
- Level 25 Talents: Body and Soul / San'layn / Intangibility;
- Level 30 Talents: Twist of Fate / Misery / Searing Nightmare;
- Level 35 Talents: Last Word / Mind Bomb / Psychic Horror;
- Level 40 Talents: Auspicious Spirits / Psychic Link / Shadow Crash;
- Level 45 Talents: Damnation / Mindbender / Void Torrent;
- Level 50 Talents: Ancient Madness / Hungering Void / Surrender to Madness.
Shadow Priest Shadowlands Guide
More Patch 9.0.1 Class Changes
You can find other Patch 9.0.1 class changes linked below.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Updated for the Shadowlands Pre-Patch.
- 06 Sep. 2020: Updated for Beta Build 35755.
- 08 Aug. 2020: Priest overhauled based on the latest Beta changes.
- 03 Aug. 2020: Power Word: Shield is available to all specializations in Shadowlands.
- 28 Jul. 2020: Priest's Fade now reduces the range at which enemies attack you.
- 18 Jul. 2020: Devouring Plague heals you for 50% of damage done, Power Word: Shield can now be cast in Spirit of Redemption.
- 15 Jul. 2020: Holy Words passive updated for Alpha Build 35078.
- 03 Jul. 2020: Devouring Plague is back for Shadow Priests. Holy gets the Body and Soul talent.
- 20 Jun. 2020: Shadow Word: Death deals increased damage to enemies below 20% health.
- 16 Jun. 2020: Power Infusion can only be cast on yourself.
- 09 Jun. 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34615.
- 02 Jun. 2020: Updated intro with links to Anima Powers and Covenant Abilities.
- 25 May 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34490.
- 15 May 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34365.
- 08 May 2020: Shadow Word: Death now generates Insanity.
- 30 Apr. 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34199.
- 28 Apr. 2020: Updated for Alpha Build 34137.
- 21 Apr. 2020: Page added.
- How to Quickly Reach Exalted with Gelkis and Magram Centaur Clans Under 1 Hour
- More Scourge Zombies Showing Up, But It's Still Not the Pre-patch Event
- Pure Class: Level 50 Without Choosing a Spec Gets Pretty Hard
- Patch 9.0.1 Hotfixes: October 22nd
- The Madness Begins Anew: Exile's Reach Speedruns
- Addon Spotlight: Better Wardrobe and Transmog
- Most Popular Classes and Specs for Mythic+ in the Shadowlands Pre-Patch
- Ghostcrawler Talks WoW After 6 Years: Leveling, His Ret Pala, AoE and More