Shaman Class Changes for Shadowlands (Patch 9.0.2)
On this page, you will find a list of all Shaman changes coming in Shadowlands.
In addition to the class changes listed here, Shamans also gain access to class-specific Shaman Covenant Abilities that can be used anywhere in the open world, Legendary Powers obtained through Runecarving, Soulbind Conduits, and Anima Powers that only work in Torghast.
- New Passive: Improved Reincarnation — Reincarnation now revives you with an additional 20% health.
- New Ability: Flametongue Weapon — Imbue your weapon with the element of Fire for 1 hour, causing each of your attacks to deal additional Fire damage.
- New Ability: Chain Heal — Heals the friendly target, then jumps to heal the 2 most injured nearby allies (3 for Restoration). Healing is reduced by 30% with each jump.
- Healing Stream Totem — Summons a totem at your feet for 15 seconds that heals an injured party or raid member within 40 yards for every 2 seconds.
- Lightning Shield — Surround yourself with a shield of lightning for 30 minutes. Melee attackers have a 100% chance to suffer Nature damage. Only one Elemental Shield can be active on the Shaman at a time.
- Chain Lightning — Hurls a lightning bolt at the enemy, dealing Nature damage and then jumping to additional nearby enemies. Affects 3 total targets.
- Flame Shock — Sears the target with fire, causing Fire damage and then additional Fire damage over 18 seconds.
- Frost Shock — Chills the target with frost, causing Frost damage and reducing the target's movement speed by 50% for 6 seconds.
- Skyfury Totem, Grounding Totem, and Counterstrike Totem now have 50 health (was 5).
General Shaman Abilities Learned Above Level 50
- Astral Shift (Level 54) — Astral Shift lasts an additional 4 seconds.
- Hex (Level 56) — The cooldown of Hex is reduced by 10 seconds.
- New Ability: Spiritwalker's Grace — Calls upon the guidance of the spirits for 15 seconds, permitting movement while casting Shaman spells. Castable while casting.
- Flame Shock now has an 18-second duration (was 24 seconds).
- Lightning Shield generates 5 Maelstrom for the Shaman when attacked.
- Lava Surge proc chance reduced to 10% (was 15%).
Elemental Shaman Abilities Unlocked Above Level 50
- Elemental Fury (Level 54) — Elemental Fury now also causes your healing critical strikes to heal for 250% instead of the normal 200%.
- Fire Elemental Totem (Level 58) — While your Fire Elemental is active, any newly applied Flame Shock lasts 100% longer.
Elemental Shaman Talent Changes
- New Talent: Echoing Shock (replaces Call the Thunder) — Shock the target for Elemental damage and create an ancestral echo, causing your next direct damage or healing spell to be cast a second time 1 second later for free.
- New Talent: Static Charge — Discharge excess energy from your Lightning Shield, dealing Nature damage to an enemy within 40 yards every 0.5 second for 3 seconds. Targets with your Flame Shock on them are preferred.
- Elemental Blast now increases your Critical Strike, Haste, or Mastery by 3% instead of stat ratings and generates 30 Maelstrom. Elemental Blast Overload generates 15 Maelstrom.
- Totem Mastery has been removed.
- Ascendance now fires a Lava Burst at all of your Flame Shock targets, and refreshes their Flame Shock durations to up to 18 seconds upon activation.
- Primal Elementalist Primal Fire Elemental's Meteor is now capped at 8 targets.
- Primal Elementalist Primal Storm Elemental's Meteor now capped at 8 targets.
- Ancestral Guidance no longer has a global cooldown.
- Control of Lava (PvP Talent) now increases Flame Shock's damage by 25%, instead of increasing Lava Burst's damage.
Elemental Shaman Talent Tree
Below is the current talent tree for Elemental Shamans.
- Level 15 Talents: Earthen Rage / Echo of the Elements / Static Discharge;
- Level 25 Talents: Aftershock / Echoing Shock / Elemental Blast;
- Level 30 Talents: Spirit Wolf / Earth Shield / Static Charge;
- Level 35 Talents: Master of the Elements / Storm Elemental / Liquid Magma Totem;
- Level 40 Talents: Nature's Guardian / Ancestral Guidance / Wind Rush Totem;
- Level 45 Talents: Surge of Power / Primal Elementalist / Icefury;
- Level 50 Talents: Unlimited Power / Stormkeeper / Ascendance.
Elemental Shaman Shadowlands Guide
- New Ability: Chain Lightning — Each target hit by Chain Lightning reduces the cooldown of Crash Lightning by 1 second.
- New Ability: Windfury Totem (Level 52) — Windfury Totem has an additional 10% chance to grant party members an extra swing.
- Maelstrom resource and Maelstrom bar have been removed.
- New Ability: Windfury Weapon (replaces Windfury Passive) — Imbue your main-hand weapon with the element of Wind for 30 minutes. Each main-hand attack has a 25% chance to trigger 2 extra attacks, dealing Physical damage each.
- New Ability: Windfury Totem — Summons a Windfury Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster for 2 minutes. Party members within 30 yards have a 10% chance when they auto-attack to swing an extra time.
- Maelstrom Weapon has been redesigned — When you deal damage with a melee weapon, you have a chance to gain Maelstrom Weapon, stacking up to 10 times. Each stack of Maelstrom Weapon reduces the cast time of your next damage or healing spell by 20% and increase the damage or healing of your next spell by 20%. A maximum of 5 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon can be consumed at a time.
- Feral Spirit now generates 1 stack of Maelstrom Weapon immediately, and one stack every 3 seconds for 15 seconds.
- Lightning Shield now has an additional effect — When Lightning Shield deals damage, you have a 50% chance to generate a stack of Maelstrom Weapon.
- Chain Lightning has an additional effect — If Chain Lightning hits more than 1 target, each target hit by your Chain Lightning increases the damage of your next Crash Lightning by 20%.
- Stormbringer no longer causes your next Stormstrike to trigger no cooldown, but will still have a 5% chance to reset the remaining cooldown of Stormstrike.
- Lava Lash damage reduced by 50%, now has a 12-second cooldown, and has an additional effect: Damage is increased by 100% if your Off-Hand weapon is imbued with Flametongue Weapon.
- Frostbrand has been replaced with Frost Shock.
- Frost Shock has been replaced with Flame Shock.
- Frost Shock and Flame Shock now have their cooldowns shortened by Haste.
- Flametongue has been replaced with Flametongue Weapon.
- Rockbiter has been removed.
- Crash Lightning now deals reduced damage against additional targets.
- Windfury Weapon's proc damage has been increased by 240%.
- Healing Surge healing has been increased by 50%.
- Maelstrom Weapon spending abilities have had their damage or healing increased by 30%.
- Feral Spirit's pet damage has been increased by 270%.
Enhancement Shaman Abilities Learned Above Level 50
- Chain Lightning (Level 52) — Each target hit by Chain Lightning reduces the cooldown of Crash Lightning by 1 second.
- Windfury Totem (Level 58) — Windfury Totem has an additional 10% chance to grant party members an extra swing.
Enhancement Shaman Talent Changes
- New Talent: Lashing Flames (replaces Boulderfist) — Lava Lash now increases the damage of Flame Shock on its target by 100% for 12 seconds.
- New Talent: Stormflurry (replaces Landslide) — Stormstrike has a 25% chance to strike the target a second time for 40% of normal damage.
- New Talent: Ice Strike (replaces Totem Mastery) — Strike your target for Frost damage, snaring them by 50% for 6 seconds. Ice Strike will also reset the cooldown of your Flame Shock and Frost Shock spells.
- New Talent: Elemental Assault (Passive) (replaces Overcharge) — Stormstrike damage is increased by 15%, and Stormstrike now generates 1 stack of Maelstrom Weapon.
- New Talent: Fire Nova (replaces Searing Assault) — Erupt a burst of fiery damage from all targets affected by your Flame Shock, dealing Fire damage to up to 6 targets within 8 yards of your Flame Shock targets.
- New Talent: Stormkeeper (replaces Fury of Air) — Charge yourself with lightning, causing your next 2 Lightning Bolts or Chain Lightnings to deal 150% more damage and be instant cast.
- Hot Hand now causes melee auto-attacks with Flametongue Weapon active to have a 5% chance to reduce the cooldown of Lava Lash by 75% and increase the damage of Lava Lash by 100% for 8 seconds. Hot Hand additionally resets the cooldown of Lava Lash when it activates.
- Forceful Winds Windfury bonus damage is now 50% (was 80%).
- Hailstorm has been redesigned — Each stack of Maelstrom Weapon consumed increases the damage of your next Frost Shock by 35%, and causes your next Frost Shock to hit 1 additional target per Maelstrom Weapon stack consumed.
- Sundering no longer has a Maelstrom cost and now has a 6% mana cost.
- Ascendance now causes you to explode with Nature damage upon activation, dealing damage to all enemies within 8 yards.
- Ice Strike damage has been increased by 75%.
- Forceful Winds Windfury damage bonus per stack has been reduced to 35% (was 50%).
- Lashing Flames duration has been increased to 20 seconds (was 12 seconds).
- Elemental Blast damage has been increased by 25%.
- Hailstorm's Frost Shock damage bonus has been lowered to 15% (was 35%).
- Fire Nova damage has been increased by 75%.
Enhancement Shaman Talent Tree
Below is the current talent tree for Enhancement Shamans.
- Level 15 Talents: Lashing Flames / Forceful Winds / Elemental Blast;
- Level 25 Talents: Stormflurry / Hot Hand / Ice Strike;
- Level 30 Talents: Spirit Wolf / Earth Shield / Static Charge;
- Level 35 Talents: Elemental Assault / Hailstorm / Fire Nova;
- Level 40 Talents: Nature's Guardian / Feral Lunge / Wind Rush Totem;
- Level 45 Talents: Crashing Storm / Stormkeeper / Sundering;
- Level 50 Talents: Elemental Spirits / Earthen Spike / Ascendance.
Enhancement Shaman Shadowlands Guide
- :New Ability: Water Shield — The caster is surrounded by globes of water, granting 50 mana per 5 seconds. When a melee attack hits the caster, the caster regains 2% of their mana. This effect can only occur once every few seconds.
- New Ability: Mana Tide Totem — Summons a Mana Tide Totem at the feet of the caster for 8 seconds, granting 100% increased mana regeneration to party and raid members within 10 yards.
- Earth Shield is no longer a Talent and is learned by all Restoration Shamans at level 22.
- Riptide duration is now 18 seconds (was 15 seconds).
- Flame Shock now has an 18 second duration (was 21 seconds).
- Lava Surge proc chance was reduced to 10% (was 15%).
Restoration Shaman Abilities Learned Above Level 50
- Mana Tide Totem (Level 52) — Mana Tide Totem's radius is increased by 100%.
- Healing Tide Totem (Level 58) — Healing Tide Totem lasts an additional 2 seconds.
Restoration Shaman Talent Changes
- New Talent: Surge of Earth (replaces Earth Shield) — Consume up to 3 charges of Earth Shield to heal up to 3 allies near your Earth Shield target per charge consumed.
- Torrent now increases the initial heal from Riptide by 20% (was 30%).
Restoration Shaman Talent Tree
Below is the current talent tree for Restoration Shamans.
- Level 15 Talents: Torrent / Undulation / Unleash Life;
- Level 25 Talents: Echo of the Elements / Deluge / Surge of Earth;
- Level 30 Talents: Spirit Wolf / Earthgrab Totem / Static Charge;
- Level 35 Talents: Ancestral Vigor / Earthen Wall Totem / Ancestral Protection Totem;
- Level 40 Talents: Nature's Guardian / Graceful Spirit / Wind Rush Totem;
- Level 45 Talents: Flash Flood / Downpour / Cloudburst Totem;
- Level 50 Talents: High Tide / Wellspring / Ascendance.
Restoration Shaman Shadowlands Guide
More Patch 9.0.1 Class Changes
You can find other Patch 9.0.1 class changes linked below.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated with Rank 2 Chain Lightning and Windfury Totem.
- 16 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands release.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Updated for the Shadowlands Pre-Patch.
- 06 Sep. 2020: Elemental Shamans gained Maelstrom back.
- 16 Aug. 2020: Updated with Elemental and Enhancement changes from Beta Build 35522.
- 20 Jun. 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34821.
- 16 Jun. 2020: Shaman changes updated with the Alpha Build 34714 rework.
- 09 Jun. 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34615.
- 02 Jun. 2020: Updated intro with links to Anima Powers and Covenant Abilities.
- 25 May 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34490.
- 15 May 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34365.
- 08 May 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34278.
- 30 Apr. 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34199.
- 28 Apr. 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34137.
- 21 Apr. 2020: Page added.
- Castle Nathria 9.0.5 DPS Log Rankings and Analysis, Week 5: Boss Damage Only Rankings Added
- Player Loots One of the Rarest Item in WoW
- A Different Kind of AFK Story
- WoW Patch Timeline from Vanilla to Shadowlands Patch 9.1
- Potentially Infinite Breath of Sindragosa Bug
- Elwynn Forest Without the Trees
- Covenants Per Spec in Castle Nathria and Mythic+ for Top Players
- Animated Ulna World Quest Up on US Servers!