Protoform Synthesis Overview: A Zereth Mortis Crafting System for Mounts and Pets
Protoform Synthesis is a new Zereth Mortis system which was introduced in Patch 9.2 as an extension to the Cypher of the First Ones. It allows players to craft a multitude of Battle Pets and Mounts from various reagents and patterns that are found throughout the zone.
This page will provide information on how to unlock the Protoform Synthesis forges and also explains the reagents and patterns that are needed in order to craft your companions.
What is the Protoform Synthesis system
Protoform Synthesis is a new system of Patch 9.2 which allows players to craft their own pets and mounts from reagents that are found in Zereth Mortis. It is unlocked by the Cypher of the First Ones Cypher Research Console, more specifically the Dealic — Wildlife Control section.
If you would like to learn more about the rest of the Cypher of the First Ones system and what it can unlock, please see our guide below.
There are a total of 2 Forges that can be unlocked. One of them provides you access to crafting new Pets and the other one grants access to the Mount crafting.
Unlocking the Protoform Synthesis Forges
Unlocking the Protoform Synthesis Forges requires you to research the Dealic section through the Cypher of the First Ones Cypher Research Console and then completing a short quest line. You will gain access to the Cypher Research Console after you finish Chapter 3 of the Secrets of the First Ones campaign.
- Dealic Understanding — talent in Dealic, grants access to the Pet crafting Forge
- Sopranian Understanding — talent in Dealic, grants access to the Mount crafting Forge
After researching Dealic Understanding your Pocopoc will provide you with a quest called Protoform Synthesis. Finish this and you will have access to the forge which allows for the crafting of Battle Pets.
- Finding Tahli;
- Selfless Preservation;
- Junk's Not Dead;
- Core Competency;
- Revival of the Fittest;
- Maintenance Mode;
- Access Request;
- The Final Song;
- Judgment Call;
- The Lost Component;
- A New Architect;
- Schematic Reassimilation: Deathrunner.
After completing the questchain mentioned above you will gain access to the forge which allows you to craft Mounts.
As mentioned before there are two different Protoform Synthesis Forges. One is for crafting Battle Pets and the other one is for crafting Mounts. While the quests that will unlock them will take you directly to their locations you can take a quick look at the images below to figure out where they are.
Pet Protoform Synthesis
Mount Protoform Synthesis
Now that you have a clear understanding on how to unlock the Protoform Synthesis Forges we can talk about what items you actually need in order to craft your companions and mounts. To put it simply you need 3 types of different components, and sometimes also a Schematic:
- Genesis Motes
- A Rare Component related to the craft
- A Lattice
- A Schematic
Genesis Motes, Lattices, Schematic for pets, and some of the Rare Components will start dropping after you research Dealic Understanding while the remaining Rare Components and Schematics for mounts start showing up after you finish the Sopranian Understanding research.
If you would like to see the exact costs, appearances, and battle pet moves for all of these pets and mounts, please consult the relevant sections of our collection guides for Patch 9.2 below.
TomTom - your personal Navigation assistant
TomTom is a navigation addon that helps you find the correct places where you need to go in order to obtain some of the items. We strongly suggest you download this addon as it makes navigating the zones a lot easier.
In the next sections you will notice coordinates in the form of "/way 25.5, 23.3". When using TomTom all you have to do is copy that command and use it in game — after doing so you will notice a waypoint added to your minimap at these exact coordinates. This will make finding the required items and places significantly easier. You can use this link to obtain more information about TomTom.
Genesis Motes are the most common and the easiest to find component. These drop from all types of enemies found in Zereth Mortis. You should be able to obtain them by just doing your quests and daily activities in Zereth Mortis. While the amount of Genesis Motes needed to craft a specific pet or mount varies, the rough estimate would be around 300 Motes for a Pet and 400 Motes for a Mount.
Rare Components and Sources
These items are a lot harder to find than Genesis Motes. They drop from specific enemies or from some designated area of Zereth Mortis. Generally you need to have one of these items per craftable pet or mount. That said, you need to go hunting for the correct one from the correct place.
Glimmers are items specifically needed for crafting Battle Pets. There are a lot of different types of them and they generally drop from specific types of enemies. For example, the Glimmer of Discovery drops from various Annelid enemies like Engorged Annelid and Annelid Mudborer. For a full list of Glimmers and from where to obtain them take a look at the table below.
The table below is being updated as more sources are found.
|Glimmer of Animation||Various Protector Automas||Vine-Choked Protector, /way 47.45 81.32|
|Glimmer of Cunning||Various Tarachnid enemies||Tarachnid, /way 56 32|
|Glimmer of Discovery||Various Annelid enemies||Annelid Mudborer, /way 56.54 67.01|
|Glimmer of Focus||Various Rare enemies||Hirukon, Sorranos|
|Glimmer of Malice||Various Dreadlords||Dreadlord Commander, /way 50.0 48.0|
|Glimmer of Metamorphosis||Various Mawsworn enemies||Ebon Dominator, /way 50.0 48.0|
|Glimmer of Motion||Various Raptora enemies||Grasslands Raptora, West side of Zereth Mortis|
|Glimmer of Multiplicity||Sentient Overgrowth||/way 47.45 81.32 (Southern Zereth Mortis)|
|Glimmer of Predation||Dematerializing Worldeater||/way 41.89 66.66 (Northern Zereth Mortis)|
|Glimmer of Renewal||Various Carnivorous enemies||Carnivorous Overgrowth, /way 46.50 83.21|
|Glimmer of Satisfaction||Eating food inside Sepulcher of the First Ones raid||Sepulcher of the First Ones|
|Glimmer of Serenity||Small pyramid objects named Glimmer of Serenity||Often found on top of orb structures and mountains|
|Glimmer of Survival||Various Creeping enemies||Creeping Brambles, /way 47.45 81.32|
|Glimmer of Vigilance||Various Overgrown enemies||Overgrown Drifter, /way 47.45 81.32|
Other Rare Components
Rare Components are similar to Glimmers in how they are found and used. You need one specific Rare Component for crafting a mount. Below you can find a table which explains where you can find them.
The table below is being updated as more sources are found.
|Bauble of Pure Innovation||Bauble of Pure Innovation||Inside Exile's Hallow at /way 34.5 49.7|
|Crystallized Echo of the First Song||Various locations around Zereth Mortis||/way 77.5 59.0, /way 78.2 54.35|
|Eternal Ragepearl||Dropped by Dominated Worldbreaker||Antecedent Isle, /way 47.41 12.63|
|Lens of Focused Intention||Sold by Vilo for 300 Gold||Requires The Enlightened — Revered|
|Mawforged Bridle||High Value Cache||Details below|
|Protoform Sentience Crown||Dropped by various Dominated enemies||Antecedent Isle, /way 47.41 12.63|
|Revelation Key||Dropped by Protector of the First Ones rare||/way 39.0 27.0|
|Tools of Incomprehensible Experimentation||Lihuvim, Principal Architect||Sepulcher of the First Ones|
|Unalloyed Bronze Ingot||Undiscovered||Undiscovered|
|Wind's Infinite Call||Dropped by various Enhanced enemies||Enhanced Avian, /way 77.0 57.0|
- Find Taskmaster Xy'pro in Sepulcher of the First Ones;
- Damage the Taskmaster until it is low on health;
- Pull 3 broker enemies near it so it gets 3 stacks of the buff Synergy;
- Kill the Taskmaster while it has the buff Security Override applied to it;
- Pickup the item Security Override Orb;
- Open the High Value Cache for a chance to obtain Mawforged Bridle.
Lattices and Sources
Lattices are another ingredient that is needed to successfully craft your companion. They are needed to craft the "body" of the creature. This means that if you wish to create a snake type of mount or a pet you need a Viperid Lattice which has a chance to be dropped by all types of snakes found around Zereth Mortis.
The table below is being updated as more sources are found.
|Ambystan Lattice||Otiosen||/way 43.99 86.99|
|Aurelid Lattice||Various Jellyfish-type creatures||Aurelid|
|Bufonid Lattice||Various Toad-type creatures||Accelerated Bufonid, /way 49.77 73.08|
|Cervid Lattice||Various Stag-type creatures||Native Cervid, /way 55.71 80.56|
|Geomental Lattice||Various Elemental-type creatures||Forgotten Geomental, /way 57.27 66.64|
|Helicid Lattice||Various Snail-type creatures||Accelerated Helicid, /way 56.38 82.57|
|Leporid Lattice||Various Rabbit-type creatures||Clutch Guardian, /way 60.20 62.51|
|Lupine Lattice||Various Wolf-type creatures||Lupine Animate, /way 38.99 55.47|
|Poultrid Lattice||Avian Nests||Random spawns around Zereth Mortis, look for a interactable nest|
|Proto Avian Lattice||Various Avian-type creatures||Enhanced Avian, /way 77.0 57.0|
|Raptora Lattice||Various Hawk-type creatures||Grasslands Raptora, West side of Zereth Mortis|
|Scarabid Lattice||Various Beetle-type creatures||Scarabid Imago, /way 54.04 46.89|
|Tarachnid Lattice||Various Spider-type creatures||Tarachnid, /way 56.92 34.15|
|Unformed Lattice||Various Automa Core-type creatures||Destabilized Core, /way 53.72 44.47|
|Vespoid Lattice||Various Wasp-type creatures||Vespoid Overseer, /way 52.69 42.17|
|Viperid Lattice||Furidian, /way 64.53 58.66||Interact with 3 keys, /way 64.47 60.44, /way 64.01 57.29, /way 62.58 59.85|
|Vombata Lattice||Various Vombata-type creatures||Vombata Matron, /way 45.13 66.99|
Schematics and Sources
Schematics are needed to craft specific Mounts and Battle Pets. There are a multitude of them and each of them unlocks a single craft. They can be obtained from various sources ranging from killing enemies to picking them up from treasures. For more precise information about where they can be obtained you can take a look at the table below. Some of the schematics are a lot easier to obtain once you unlock flying in Zereth Mortis.
Battle pet schematics
These Schematics will only start showing up after you finish the Dealic Understanding research.
Obtaining Schematic: Multichicken
You need to find 5 Lost Ovoids and turn them in at /way 53.55 72.22. Lost Ovoids are a random spawn throughout Zereth Mortis. Below, you can find some coordinates where they can potentially appear:
- /way 34.30 66.55
- /way 34.65 69.25
- /way 35.95 46.20
- /way 36.73 59.68
- /way 39.35 50.99
- /way 41.37 69.31
- /way 41.85 57.15
- /way 43.22 84.92
- /way 44.53 59.85
- /way 44.75 51.84
- /way 46.67 63
- /way 48.15 73.56
- /way 49.18 71.54
- /way 50.80 70.80
- /way 52.42 73.65
- /way 53.84 64.86
- /way 55.20 76.85
- /way 55.98 68.80
- /way 58.90 68.31
- /way 60.84 75.92
- /way 61.05 65.15
After collecting 5 of them, make your way to /way 52.35 73.46 where the cave entrance is where you can find and find the Frazzled Poultrid Hen and hand in the Lost Ovoids.
Obtaining Schematic: Prototickles
Schematic: Prototickles is a well-hidden one and is best explained by the steps and pictures below.
- Go to /way 53.55 75.52 and jump down onto the rock below;
- Once on the first rock jump the gap to reach the second rock from /way 52.99 75.78
- Make your way to the tree top at the edge of the rock;
- Pan your camera so that you can see inside the tree past the leaves;
- The Schematic is on one of the chain links that are seen inside the leaves.
Obtaining Schematic: Resonant Echo
- /way 77.40 45.40
- /way 77.5 60.45
- /way 77.6 59.0
- /way 78.20 54.30
- /way 78.30 53.10
Obtaining Schematic: Shelly
Below are step-by-step directions to reach Schematic: Shelly:
- Cave entrance /way 59.13 81.59;
- Make your way behind the shelf to /way 57.73 77.71;
- Use Door of Shadows or Dimensional Translators to reach the higher shelf where the Schematic is.
Obtaining Schematic: Terror Jelly
- If you have a movement ability like Door of Shadows:
- Go to /way 67.55 32.69 and stand on the pots;
- Use your leap ability to get to the pillar at /way 67.21 32.60 where you will find the schematic.
- If you do not have a movement ability:
- Go to /way 68.86 31.05 and make your way up to the top;
- Once at the top use your Goblin Glider Kit and aim for the pillar at /way 67.21 32.60 where the schematic is.
Obtaining Schematic: Tunneling Vombata
Below are step-by-step directions to reach Schematic: Tunneling Vombata:
- Enter the cave at /way 55.70 53.47;
- Turn right and make your way into the first room following the path down;
- Keep following the path until some rocks block you from going further;
- The Schematic is next to those rocks at /way 74.79 50.85
Obtaining Schematic: Viperid Menace
The Schematic is inside the Library Vault; this is not interactable when you first enter the cave. You need to pick the correct table to make it interactable after which you can open it.
- Cave entrance /way 59.13 81.59;
- Pick up the tablet at /way 57.92 78.85;
- Go to the Library Vault at /way 58.82 77.20 and open it.
These Schematics will only start showing up after you finish the Sopranian Understanding research and complete the quest line Finding Tahli.
|Schematic: Adorned Vombata||/way 37.2 78.3||Details below|
|Schematic: Bronze Helicid||Has a chance to be dropped from Tribute of the Enlightened Elders||biweekly Patterns Within Patterns quest, starting from Bolvar in Haven|
|Schematic: Bronzewing Vespoid||/way 48.90 40.38||Cave entrance at /way 50.62 31.93|
|Schematic: Buzz||Pulp-Covered Relic||Details below|
|Schematic: Curious Crystalsniffer||/way 63.18 51.92||In Sepulcher of the First Ones, slay the first boss and go to the cordinates|
|Schematic: Darkened Vombata||/way 64.2 35.6||Details below|
|Schematic: Deathrunner||Elder Amir||Reward for finishing the quest line Finding Tahli after researching Sopranian Understanding|
|Schematic: Desertwing Hunter||/way 62.03 43.47||Details below|
|Schematic: Forged Spiteflyer||/way 53.33 25.68||In the Vespoid hive|
|Schematic: Genesis Crawler||/way 34.44 50.27||On top of the doorway, not inside|
|Schematic: Goldplate Bufonid||/way 50.13 73.45||Dropped by Accelerated Bufonid|
|Schematic: Heartbond Lupine||/way 53.15 63.87||Cave entrance at /way 51.87 62.74, dropped by Maw-Frenzied Lupine|
|Schematic: Ineffable Skitterer||/way 34.5 48.7||You have to die and then walk to the cordinates as a ghost to talk to Shade of Irik-tu|
|Schematic: Mawdapted Raptora||/way 61 24||Low drop chance from Mawsworn Hulk|
|Schematic: Pale Regal Cervid||N/A||Complete the achievement Cyphers of the First Ones|
|Schematic: Prototype Leaper||/way 67.0 69.4||Details below|
|Schematic: Raptora Swooper||/way 67.43 40.19||Cave entrance /way 65.74 35.93|
|Schematic: Russet Bufonid||Chance to drop from Enlightened Broker Supplies paragon cache||Requires The Enlightened — Exalted|
|Schematic: Scarlet Helicid||/way 47.7 9.5||On top of the big arch structure|
|Schematic: Serenade||/way 45.5 32.5||In Sepulcher of the First Ones, between the chains|
|Schematic: Sundered Zerethsteed||/way 60.59 30.55||Between the two cages|
|Schematic: Tarachnid Creeper||/way 63.0 21.5||Found inside the building|
|Schematic: Unsuccessful Prototype Fleetpod||Undiscovered||Undiscovered|
|Schematic: Vespoid Flutterer||/way 50.3 27.1||Details below|
Obtaining Schematic: Adorned Vombata
This Schematic is found inside the Grateful Boon treasure located at /way 37.2 78.3.
- Start from /way 40.00 74.95 and make your way to the top of the doorway;
- Once you reach the top of the doorway use Door of Shadows or any alternative ability to jump onto the rock;
- Go to /way 39.60 76.50 and look up, you need to jump on that ledge, you might need to play around with your cursor to find the place where you can leap to;
- Move to /way 39.63 77.16 and look up, there is a ledge where you can teleport/leap to;
- When on the ledge, move left and onto the rock formation there;
- For the last leap you need to jump from /way 39.94 77.82 to the upper most ledge;
Now that you have made it past the parkour part we can start working on accessing the Grateful Boon.
- Make your way to /way 38.34 77.98 and drop down into the valley;
- You will see Agitated Vombata, Agitated Lupine, and Agitated Cervids around;
- You need to click on all of them to pet them;
- Take notice that there is an Agitated Vombata on top of the sphere in the middle and an Agitated Cervid on the ledge to the left;
- After you have interacted with all of them Tah Fen will speak and summon the Grateful Boon next to him at /way 37.2 78.3.
Obtaining Schematic: Buzz
- /way 42 34.2
- /way 50.4 41.2
- /way 53 45.8
- /way 53.4 25.8
- /way 64.5 63.5
Obtaining Schematic: Darkened Vombata
Schematic: Darkened Vombata is found inside a cage at /way 64.2 35.6 hat is too high up to reach normally.
- Use a movement ability like Door of Shadows or Heroic Leap to jump onto the rock where the cage is connected to;
- Alternatively use a Goblin Glider Kit from /way 63.31 36.55 and land on the rock.
Obtaining Schematic: Desertwing Hunter
Schematic: Desertwing Hunter is found on top of a tall pillar that you need to climb.
- Go to /way 62.29 43.62;
- Start making your way up as shown on the images below;
- The Schematic will be on the platform where you land after the third jump.
Obtaining Schematic: Prototype Leaper
- Go to /way 63.21 68.54 and start following the images below;
- The Schematic will be placed on top of the rock you land on after the last jump.
Obtaining Schematic: Vespoid Flutterer
- Go to /way 50.33 29.70 and jump to the pillar in front of you;
- Follow the images shown below to reach the platform with Schematic: Vespoid Flutterer at /way 50.3 27.1
Below you can find the various NPCs who have been mentioned on this page and where to find them.
Elder Amir can be found at Pilgrim's Grace in the east end of Zereth Mortis. There is an Ancient Translocator nearby that can take you directly to this area.
- 31 Mar. 2022: Added Mawforged Bridle and multiple mount Schematics.
- 03 Mar. 2022: Added Glimmer of Satisfaction.
- 19 Feb. 2022: Guide added.
- New Heartbond Lupine Flying Animation in Patch 9.2.5
- Cool New Patch 9.2.5 Windrunner Easter Egg
- Kalimdorathon: Running Kalimdor from South to North IRL
- Patch 9.2.5 Survival Guide - Everything Coming in the World of Warcraft Update
- The Ultimate Silvermoonception
- World First Hardcore Level 99 in Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Season 1
- Bird's Eye View of Various World of Warcraft Maps
- Enigma Arena Changes