Cross-Faction Play Guide for World of Warcraft
Cross-Faction instances break the faction divide by allowing friends from the opposite faction to play together. The following guide is dedicated to explaining cross-faction play, a new feature introduced in Patch 9.2.5.
How to Play with Players from the Opposite Faction in Patch 9.2.5
You can directly invite members of the opposite faction to a party if you have a BattleTag or Real ID friendship, or if you are members of a cross-faction World of Warcraft Community.
Premade Groups in the Group Finder listings for Mythic Dungeons, raids, Legacy raids, or Rated Arenas / RBGs, and also Torghast, are open to applicants of both factions, but the group leader may choose to restrict the listing to the same-faction applicants if they so choose.
Once in a party, members of the opposite faction will remain unfriendly outside of instances, though they will be able to communicate through party and raid chat, as well as use /say and /yell within proximity of one another.
Upon entering a dungeon, raid, or rated PvP match, however, all members will be friendly and able to assist each other in combat, trade loot, earn shared achievements, and otherwise fully engage the same way members of the same faction do.
Guilds and Cross-Faction Play
Guilds will remain single-faction in Patch 9.2.5. There are no immediate plans to make guilds cross-faction in the near future.
You can create cross-faction Communities in Patch 9.2.5. They work just like guilds.
Existing Communities can be converted to cross-faction Communities in the Settings.
Legacy Instances and Cross-Faction Play
The functionality of cross-faction instances will also apply to Legacy instances and is available at all levels. However, there will be some older instances that cross-faction parties cannot enter due to faction-specific components. They are:
- Trial of the Champion;
- Trial of the Crusader;
- Vault of Archavon;
- Icecrown Citadel;
- Baradin Hold;
- Siege of Boralus;
- Battle of Dazar'alor;
- Darkmaul Citadel (Exile's Reach dungeon).
You can mail items and gold between Horde and Alliance characters on the same server in Patch 9.2.5.
Will Cross-Faction Play Work with War Mode?
You can group up and attack players of the opposite faction with War Mode enabled.
Cross-Faction Play and Open-World Content
In the open world, you must be in a physical group to understand the other faction, being members of a cross-faction Community will not suffice.
You can also complete World Quests cross-faction at maximum level, but you must both tag the mobs.
Cross-Faction Play and Leveling
Threads of Fate and Torghast leveling from Level 50-60 will work cross-faction.
Cross-Faction Play Restrictions
The cross-faction system comes with some restrictions that we outline in this paragraph:
- You cannot use the opposite faction's portals, multi-passenger mounts, or receive buffs when you are in a cross-faction group.
- The /invite name command works only if you are Battle.net / Real ID Friends with the other person or member of a cross-faction community.
- Random matchmade activities like Heroic dungeons, Arena Skirmishes, or Random Battlegrounds all remain single-faction.
- Raid Finder, Normal and Heroic Dungeons, Arena Skirmishes, and Random Battlegrounds are not cross-faction.
- You can summon members of the opposite faction to a dungeon, but you will need another member of your faction to do so.
- You cannot send mail to the other faction, with the exception mentioned above.
- 01 Jun. 2022: Updated with cross-faction trading.
- 29 May 2022: Page added.
- Riders of Azeroth Spotted in Zaralek Cavern in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of the Druid Crucible Raid Tier Set in Patch 10.1
- To-Do List for Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Week #2
- World Boss Liskanoth Available on Live Servers During the Week of March 28th
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes, March 27th: Class Tuning
- A Preview of Sporebat Rock Mounts in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of Death Knight Crucible Raid Set in Patch 10.1
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 DPS Log Rankings for Vault of the Incarnates: Week 1