Jump to content
FORUMS
Oxygen

Anduin Meta Tier List (May 2019)

Recommended Posts

33xHrot.jpg

Our twenty-sixth Heroes of the Storm Meta Tier list for the month of May is here!

Welcome to another Icy Veins's Meta Tier List for the April 30 patch. The goal of this list is to try and detail game's current metagame state. The prime goal of such lists is to inform players regarding popular and trending team composition drafting strategies (i.e. the drafting metagame).

Using the list

Spoiler

Although tier listings are generally the product of balance, many factors come into play when discussing the relative perceived strengths of heroes, including player regions, maps, play style, skill level, and, of course, personal perception. As such, any tier list—including this very one—should never be interpreted as gospel, but rather, as a guide to better grasp what to expect with regards to typical drafting experiences. One useful application of such lists is to allow you know which heroes to look out for in terms of practice and counterplay, ultimately improving your knowledge of the game.

As stated above, tier lists are easy to mistake for gospel. As new strategies are discovered and experimented with, so changes the perception of the relative strengths of each hero. Tier lists still prove to be useful as a snapshot of player expectations in terms of drafting. Although it is generally considered preferable to focus on high tier heroes (Prime and Core tiers), it is important to note that Heroes of the Storm's wild character and map designs make it so that any given hero's tier position is prone to fluctuate depending on the situation at hand.

One classic example of such is that of Kerrigan on the Infernal Shrines map. Although we currently judge her to be a mid-tier hero, her drafting priority shoots up to first-pick or first-ban material on this specific map due to the nature of its objective. Certain heroes also synergise so well with each other that the sole fact of having the opportunity of drafting them together is generally enough to increase their potential. Tassadar and Tracer, for instance, are generally nightmarish to deal with for many. There are too many examples of these interactions to reasonably produce here, but we invite you to consult our guides to know exactly where and when each hero shines. The guides have been linked in the lists below for your convenience - just click any of the hero names to access them.

A  next to a hero's name means its tier list position has increased since the previous month whereas a  means just the opposite. Additionally, a + or - sign indicates short-to-medium term predictions (which is to say, about a month) for tier increase(s) or decrease(s), respectively. These are often updated after significant balance patches and/or when clear trends are emerging. The (ban) comment is a ban recommendation; Meta heroes should be picked and banned first, though heroes from other groups should be considered as well depending on how team compositions are shaping up.

If you're newer to the game, also consider visiting our glossary for a comprehensive list of discrete Heroes of the Storm terms.

 

Current ranked mode map rotation (map rotation updated)

 
  • Alterac Pass
  • Battlefield of Eternity
  • Braxis Holdout (removed)
  • Cursed Hollow
  • Dragon Shire
  • Garden of Terror (added)
  • Hanamura  (added)
  • Infernal Shrines
  • Sky Temple (removed)
  • Tomb of the Spider Queen
  • Towers of Doom
  • Volskaya Foundry (removed)

 

Meta picks

Tank Bruiser Fighter Stalker Marksman Mage Support Healer
Anub'arak (ban) Ana
Diablo (ban)              

 

High-tier generalists

Tank Bruiser Fighter Stalker Marksman Mage Support Healer
E.T.C. (ban) Artanis Thrall Genji (ban) Hanzo (ban) Azmodan Malfurion
Garrosh (ban) Imperius VarianTwin Blades of Fury Zeratul Raynor (ban) Jaina   Tyrande
Johanna         Kael'thas    

 

Mid-tier generalists

Tank Bruiser Fighter Stalker Marksman Mage Support Healer
Arthas Dehaka (ban) Alarak Tracer (ban) Cassia  Chromie Abathur Alexstrasza
Mal'Ganis Sonya Kerrigan   Falstad+ Gul'dan Zarya Anduin (new)
Muradin   Maiev   Fenix+ Junkrat   Auriel+
Stitches (ban)   Malthael   Greymane Kel'Thuzad    Brightwing
VarianTaunt   Ragnaros   Lunara Mephisto   Deckard
    VarianColossus Smash   Sgt.Hammer (ban) Nazeebo   Kharazim
        Tychus Orphea   Li Li
        Zul'jin Sylvanas   Lt. Morales
          Zagara   Lúcio
              Rehgar
              Stukov
              Whitemane

 

Low-tier generalists

Tank Bruiser Fighter Stalker Marksman Mage Support Healer
Blaze Chen Gazlowe Valeera Valla+ Li-Ming Medivh (ban)+ — 
  D.Va Murky     Probius    
  Yrel The Butcher          

 

Situational picks (map, team composition, or counterpick)

Tank Bruiser Fighter Stalker Marksman Mage Support Healer
Cho'gall (ban) Leoric Illidan Nova Cho'gall (ban) Tassadar Uther (ban)
Tyrael Rexxar Xul Samuro     The Lost Vikings (ban)  

 

Meta heroes define the metagame. They are very often banned or picked right away, as they generally dictate the pace of most drafts and matches.

Generalists form the core of your team and are generally picked after Meta picks have been distributed. They tend to work on most maps, and as part of and against most team compositions. Since this group includes most heroes, I elected to split it into three tiers. High-tier rankings are a result of performance (i.e. win rates) and popularity (i.e. pick and ban rates). This means that heroes with high win rates can be set in low tier; the opposite may also be true.

Situational picks shine on specific maps or as part of specific team compositions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting placement of Anduin. While a lot of people are saying that he is "broken" or "overpowered", I don't think he is at all. In fact, I'd say he is one of the most balanced Heroes ever on launch, and also the first in a very long time that has no Quest Talents.

I also strongly agree that Ana is the best Healer in the game right now, something I've always said about her even before her amazing rework.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Malfurion as high tier healer say whaaa?

I mean, putting Auriel, new Lucio and Alexstraza below Malf after he was stripped of all his saves and useful talents? Wow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are Blaze and Yrel really not good right now, or is it lack of HGC hitting them hard. They were very big at the end of last year and outside of Bunker nerf I don't recall any other nerfs (though I might be wrong).

Happy to see KT so high, he is very strong right now, melting squishes after 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mortalo said:

Are Blaze and Yrel really not good right now, or is it lack of HGC hitting them hard. They were very big at the end of last year and outside of Bunker nerf I don't recall any other nerfs (though I might be wrong).

Happy to see KT so high, he is very strong right now, melting squishes after 16.

Both Yrel and Blaze got nerfs that hurt their solo laner capabilities with increased mana costs, among some other minor nerfs and tweaks. I still consider Blaze a very solid off-tank, but he fell in favor of other Heroes, such as Mal'Ganis and post-rework Stitches, both that can outlast him in the laning phase.

6 hours ago, LouW said:

What the " ban " exactly means here ?

It refers to ranked matches, where you can ban Heroes from being selected by either team. In this case, Oxygen is pinpointing Heroes that should be prioritized as ban material during the draft.

Edited by Valhalen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EdenL said:

Thanks for the effort to make this tier list, however, I believe this Overwatch tier list is more accurate since everyone can contribute to it and there are no single player favorable characters.

Yeah, let's compare 2 tier lists that belongs to 2 different games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 3:08 PM, ShadowerDerek said:

Yeah, let's compare 2 tier lists that belongs to 2 different games.

What do you mean?

OOpss... Seems like I copied the wrong link!

Edited by EdenL
mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 4:01 PM, Valhalen said:

Interesting placement of Anduin. While a lot of people are saying that he is "broken" or "overpowered", I don't think he is at all. In fact, I'd say he is one of the most balanced Heroes ever on launch, and also the first in a very long time that has no Quest Talents.

I also strongly agree that Ana is the best Healer in the game right now, something I've always said about her even before her amazing rework.

I agree with Ana, the only thing the rework did was give you options for level 1 talents instead of always having to take piercing darts. Lategame Ana with that Quest completed was basically functional immortality for bruisers and tanks in the frontline.

Anduin I can't agree with however. His basic skills seem balanced enough but Holy Word is great big elephant in the corner of the room. It's a literal WIN TEAMFIGHT button that doesn't really require THAT much skill to use, I mean sure it's less brainless than LiLi, but what isn't? Being able to, in the middle of a teamfight, just throw down a great big circle that autocasts protected on everyone inside and then heals 25% life to everyone is WAY too strong.

Either Lightbomb needs a buff, or it needs to come down in power. Go from 3 seconds to 1.5 duration or reduce the bubble size, or take away the healing, or buff the healing but take away protected (But that would make it too much like LiLi's) or something because right now it's just impossible to win a teamfight if it's off cooldown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apologised said:

Anduin I can't agree with however. His basic skills seem balanced enough but Holy Word is great big elephant in the corner of the room. It's a literal WIN TEAMFIGHT button that doesn't really require THAT much skill to use, I mean sure it's less brainless than LiLi, but what isn't? Being able to, in the middle of a teamfight, just throw down a great big circle that autocasts protected on everyone inside and then heals 25% life to everyone is WAY too strong.

Either Lightbomb needs a buff, or it needs to come down in power. Go from 3 seconds to 1.5 duration or reduce the bubble size, or take away the healing, or buff the healing but take away protected (But that would make it too much like LiLi's) or something because right now it's just impossible to win a teamfight if it's off cooldown.

Holy Word: SalvationHoly Word: Salvation is extremely overrated. Sure, you can use it in the middle of a teamfight, but will also put a huge target on your head. Organized teams will see it coming and save their cooldowns to interrupt Anduin at easy; any stun, sleep, silence or displacement will ruin it. And if Anduin is picked early on during the draft, the opposing team will be smart enough to pick Heroes that can interrupt it. Holy Word: Salvation only works after the enemy team burned all their hard CCs, and by the time that happened your team will probably be dead already. In that regard, Tyrael's SanctificationSanctification can be considered much better since there is no way to interrupt it.

LightbombLightbomb is very powerful on the right circumstances and can lead to some nasty CC-chains, but I agree that it needs some buffs, specially given the Heroic has no level upgrade at level 20. It is usually the Heroic I pick since most of the time there is something to counter Holy Word: Salvation. If they increased the stun duration PER enemy Hero hit, then this Heroic would be way more interesting.

Edited by Valhalen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Valhalen said:

Holy Word: SalvationHoly Word: Salvation is extremely overrated. Sure, you can use it in the middle of a teamfight, but will also put a huge target on your head. Organized teams will see it coming and save their cooldowns to interrupt Anduin at easy; any stun, sleep, silence or displacement will ruin it. And if Anduin is picked early on during the draft, the opposing team will be smart enough to pick Heroes that can interrupt it. Holy Word: Salvation only works after the enemy team burned all their hard CCs, and by the time that happened your team will probably be dead already. In that regard, Tyrael's SanctificationSanctification can be considered much better since there is no way to interrupt it.

LightbombLightbomb is very powerful on the right circumstances and can lead to some nasty CC-chains, but I agree that it needs some buffs, specially given the Heroic has no level upgrade at level 20. It is usually the Heroic I pick since most of the time there is something to counter Holy Word: Salvation. If they increased the stun duration PER enemy Hero hit, then this Heroic would be way more interesting.

I feel this all relates to one of the larger problems HotS has always had: Some Heroes only really have the one Heroic. I mean, even with the changes Gul'Dan's Asteroid Summoning is still trash compared to Horrify, the only time I've EVER seen anyone pick Mephisto's other Heroic was due to a missclick... Fenix, Artanis, Vala, Anuburak, Johanna, Malphael, li-ming, all of them are heroes with one Heroic being noticiably more useful than the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2019 at 9:55 AM, Apologised said:

I feel this all relates to one of the larger problems HotS has always had: Some Heroes only really have the one Heroic. I mean, even with the changes Gul'Dan's Asteroid Summoning is still trash compared to Horrify, the only time I've EVER seen anyone pick Mephisto's other Heroic was due to a missclick... Fenix, Artanis, Vala, Anuburak, Johanna, Malphael, li-ming, all of them are heroes with one Heroic being noticiably more useful than the other.

Yeah, sadly that is how it is. But those Heroics do have their niche, though.

Rain of DestructionRain of Destruction is much better now, but still can't compare to HorrifyHorrify, like you said. They need to tweak it a bit more to increase its effectiveness in the competitive scene. However, it is fun (and powerful) on ARAM Brawls, though.

Durance of HateDurance of Hate can be quite powerful in some cases and can lead to a lot of follow ups, specially if the enemy team drafted Heroes to counter Consume SoulsConsume Souls (such as Lúcio, Kharazim, Tyrael and Anduin).

I hate Planet CrackerPlanet Cracker, but it does work if you combo it with EntombEntomb or Mosh PitMosh Pit.

Locust SwarmLocust Swarm and StrafeStrafe are garbage, indeed; there are little if no situations where they should be picked. Tormented SoulsTormented Souls is no longer useful because Malthael can now cleave with Basic Attacks. As for Johanna and Li-Ming, I am unsure which Heroics do you refer to because they both have very reliable ones that fit different situations.

Edited by Valhalen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Stan
      This week's brawl is Industrial District, a single-lane Overwatch-themed battleground with standard play and shuffle pick. The main goal is to destroy the enemy Core. Play 3 games to earn a Mecha Chest.
      Blizzard (Source)
      This week’s Heroes Brawl is Industrial District! Slide around and slug it out in the heart of Volskaya in this Overwatch-themed, single-lane Battleground featuring lots of conveyor belts and tons of action.
      Rules:
      Shuffle pick - Choose from one of three Heroes before entering the battle. Standard play - no talent or level restrictions. The first team to destroy the enemy Core wins! Rewards:
      Complete three matches of the Industrial District Brawl to earn a Loot Chest! Find out more about the Heroes Brawl game mode on our Heroes Brawl site; and as always, you can find more information on this week’s Brawl by clicking the Brawl Info button at the bottom of the play screen when preparing to queue for the Brawl game mode.
    • By Stan
      The Heroes team is hosting an AMA on tomorrow related to the recent Hero Movement Speed changes that went live in the latest patch and Hero balance.
      Feel free to submit your questions here. The devs will start answering them starting at 10:00 a.m. PDT (7:00 p.m. CEST). We'll be back with a recap shortly after the AMA is over.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Greetings, Heroes!
      We’re going to host a Hero Balance & Hero Movement Speed Change AMA right here on /r/heroesofthestorm on Thursday, July 18, 2019! The Heroes devs will join the thread and answer your questions starting around 10:00 a.m. PDT (7:00 p.m. CEST) until 12:00 p.m. PDT (9:00 p.m. CEST).
      We have the following developers on hand answering questions:
      Alex Neyman (/u/BlizzNeyman) Sergey Morozov (/u/Blizz_SMorozov) Adam Z. Jackson (/u/BlizzAZJackson) Kevin Gu (/u/BlizzKGu) David P Warner (u/Blizz_DWarner) Steven Jaquith (/u/Blizz_Steve) Brett Crawford (/u/Daybringer) Shane Miller (/u/Blizz_Shane) Kyle Dates – (/u/BlizzKyle) When posting multiple AMA questions: Please make an effort to post one question per comment. This will make it easier for others to read through the thread, and will help the devs focus on one question at a time. However, please feel free comment as many times as you'd like in order to get your questions posted.
      You can start posting your questions right now, and we'll see you on Thursday!
    • By Stan
      Heroic Deals for this week include Chromie, Lucio, Stitches, and two Mecha skins.
      Click here to check out this week's Free-to-Play Hero rotation!
      Hero Sales
      Heroes Old Price New Price Chromie 750 Gems 375 Gems Lucio 750 Gems 375 Gems Stitches 625 Gems 312 Gems Skins
      Dark Mecha Rehgar -- 900 Gems // 1,800 Shards Dark Mecha Tyrael -- 1,125 Gems // 2,400 Shards
      Mounts
      Fel Razorgrin and Great Razorgrin mounts can be purchased for 10K Gold. The Seraph Wing Bundle can be purchased for 1,260 Gems.
    • By Stan
      Free Hero rotation has been updated for the week of July 16 and includes Alarak, Zarya, Abathur, and more.
      Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: July 16, 2019
      Malfurion Valla Gazlowe Johanna Thrall Dehaka Greymane Xul Lucio Falstad Alarak (Slot unlocked at Player Level 5) Zarya (Slot unlocked at Player Level 10) Tyrande (Slot unlocked at Player Level 15) Abathur (Slot unlocked at Player Level 20) (Source)
    • By Stan
      This week's brawl is Lost Cavern. It comes with the usual ARAM rules and you will win the game by destroying the enemy Core. Play 3 games to earn a Mecha Chest and keep in mind that Sgt. Hammer has been disabled in ARAM in the latest patch!
      Blizzard (Source)
      This week’s brawl is Lost Cavern! It’s all-out mayhem on our single-lane battleground – Lost Cavern. Queue up, choose your Hero, and try to best to bring down the enemy Core!

      Rules:
      Shuffle pick - Choose from one of three Heroes before entering the battle. Standard play - no talent or level restrictions. The first team to destroy the enemy Core wins! Rewards:
      Complete three matches of Lost Cavern to earn a Loot Chest! Find out more about the Heroes Brawl game mode on our Heroes Brawl site; and as always, you can find more information on this week’s Brawl by clicking the Brawl Info button at the bottom of the play screen when preparing to queue for the Brawl game mode.
×
×
  • Create New...