Deckard Cain Build Guide “Stay a while and read our guide.”
Welcome to our guide for Deckard Cain, a Healer in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Deckard Cain's Overview
Deckard is a melee Healer that specialises in high single-target healing output and strong area of effect debuffs. Although wise, Deckard is woefully underprepared for combat in the Nexus, wielding but a wooden cane to protect himself. This limits his damage output.
Deckard Cain's Strengths and Weaknesses
Deckard Cain's Talent Build Cheatsheet
This situational build provides superior healing and general defense. Excellent against aggresive team compositions particularly due to Kanai's Cube.
Deckard Cain's Synergies and Counters
Deckard Cain's Maps
Deckard tends to do well on Maps that feature many choke points, thanks to Scroll Of Sealing. His efficient nature as a Healer is also particularly useful when contesting Map Objectives that might feature extended poking wars that never seem to escalate into actual team fights, particularly due to Fortitude of the Faithful. In general, however, his versatility makes him a viable pick on most Maps, and team compositions should be the most important factor to consider when drafting Deckard.
Deckard Cain's Tips and Tricks
- Potions created by Healing Potion last until consumed. Casting Healing Potion beyond the limit of 5 will destroy the oldest Potion.
- Horadric Cube has a short flight time, but can still hit enemies running directly away from Deckard if the targeting reticle is centered
- Scroll Of Sealing should naturally follow successful Horadric Cube hits.
- Stay Awhile and Listen should not be used in the middle of combat, as it is likely to be interrupted. Try isolating important targets such as Healers instead.
- Lorenado's vector targeting allows it to push enemies towards your teammates, and more importantly, towards Scroll of Sealing's area of effect.
Deckard Cain's Role in the Current Meta
Deckard's multiple crowd control Abilities give him a niche as a Healer who thrives in aggressive team compositions that have the the ability to follow up on his notable Horadric Cube + Scroll of Sealing combo. His weak limited damage output and waveclear must absolutely be made up for elsewhere, however.
Deckard's only healing Ability, Healing Potion, has a high healing-over-time output and the unique ability to be used "on the ground" to allow allies to heal at their leisure. Being able to set up several Healing Potions ahead of time is crucial to Deckard's ability to deal with burst damage; accordingly, he is generally weak against diving and sudden or otherwise unexpected aggression.
- 27 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Talent build reviewed and updated.
- 07 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Talent build reviewed and updated.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 19 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Talent build reviewed and updated.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Description for Scroll of Identify and Morenadoes! updated.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (abilities page): Description for Fortitude of the Faithful reviewed.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 16 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 16 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed following the 2.48.2 update.
- 16 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 06 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Talent recommendations updated.
- 29 Apr. 2018 (this page): Main build updated.
- 24 Apr. 2018 (talents page): Guide created.
- 24 Apr. 2018 (this page): Guide created.
- Mike Morhaime, Former Blizzard CEO, Responds to the Lawsuit Allegations
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Patch Notes (July 20th)
- Masters Clash Tournament Winners Are 30K
- Final Day of Masters Clash LAN Finals
- Masters Clash Finale: July 10-11
- Masters Clash Data Available on HeroesProfile
- Stukov Disabled for the Weekend
- Heroes of the Storm Debug Mode
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Lt. Morales
- Heroes of the Storm Uther
- Heroes of the Storm Warhead Junction
- Heroes of the Storm Hanamura Temple
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Heroes of the Storm General Tier List