Sylvanas Build Guide “Let none survive!”
Table of Contents
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Talent Build
Welcome to our Sylvanas guide for Heroes of the Storm. Here you will learn everything you need to know in order to play Sylvanas in a competitive environment, whether you play on your own or with a team.
About the Author
Oxygen is a veteran of the MOBA genre, which he has been playing for nearly 15 years. He has coached some of Heroes of the Storm's most prominent North American players and teams alike, including Team Liquid. As a Master player, he enjoys playing all Heroes and roles.
1. Quick Reference
Shadow Dagger Build (talent calculator link)
Shadow Dagger Build is a balanced build that offers excellent area of effect damage, waveclear, and mobility. The core concept behind the build lies in improving Shadow Dagger through two specific Talents that turn it into an outstanding area of affect damage dealing Ability: Lost Soul, which massively reduces its Cooldown, and Cold Embrace, which provides you with a reliable Armor reduction effect. The other Talents, which can be changed to respond to whatever best suits the situation at hand, seek to improve your ability to clear Mercenary Camps ( Barbed Shot) and survive ( Windrunner, Bolt of the Storm).
Synergies and Counters
Sylvanas is a rather general pick, in that she works well with the vast majority of team composition. She does, however, excel when picked along other high-damage mobile ranged damage dealers that can capitalise on Black Arrows, Heroes that can provide area of effect crowd control, or with other strong split pushers to create an immense amount of Map pressure.
Sylvanas is a highly contested pick on all Maps that feature Objectives that provide you with a pushing force, as Black Arrows's Structure disabling effect greatly increases the longevity and effectiveness of such pushing forces. Her Barbed Shot Talent also turns her into one of the most effective Heroes at taking down Monsters (such as the Immortal on Battlefield of Eternity) and Mercenaries, further increasing her drafting priority on Maps that feature these elements.
- Use all of your Withering Fire stacks freely; they cost no Mana and refresh quickly.
- Use Shadow Dagger whenever it is available, but see to have it affect as many enemies as possible.
- Haunting Wave should almost exclusively be used only for its mobility, as it deals minimal damage.
- Hold on to Wailing Arrow until you can hit many opponents or for when you need to prevent a Hero from saving another.
- Use Mind Control to move a key target away from their team, and into yours.
- Black Arrows allows you to push down Structures without minions; exploit this especially with allies.
Sylvanas is a mobile ranged Specialist with very high sustained damage and waveclear. Her mobility and the long range and instantaneous nature of her Abilities makes her a very safe Hero that is difficult to shut down. Sylvanas also boasts extremely strong utility in her unique ability to stun Structures, Minions, and Mercenaries. Overall, Sylvanas is one of the most dangerous Heroes in the game if left unchecked.
- Very high overall damage
- Extremely powerful waveclear
- Able to stun most Structures, Minions, and Mercenaries
- Very mobile, with a strong gap-closer; very safe
- Can silence enemies in a large area
- Can use Mind Control on enemy high priority targets (Assassins, Supports) to expose them to your team
- High Mana efficiency
- Great at clearing out Mercenary Camps
- Low maximum Health; vulnerable to crowd control
- Rather weak early game
- Poor targeted single-target damage
5. Role in the Current Meta
Sylvanas is a very well-rounded Hero with few significant weaknesses. She is a little lackluster during the initial stages of the game, but with every new talent she becomes exponentially stronger. Sylvanas is able to output a massive amount of damage in both skirmishes and team fights, with most of her damage being dealt over time. Without the utility and impact from Wailing Arrow or Mind Control, she will find it difficult to burst down targets, especially if the enemy team has healers, such as Malfurion or Brightwing, who heal over time.
Once Sylvanas is Level 7, she will have access to some of the best waveclear around. She also has fantastic mobility through Haunting Wave, which, when paired with the long range of all of her Abilities, translates into Sylvanas being very difficult to kill. Additionally, Black Arrows allows Sylvanas and her team to attack points that would otherwise be impossible to contest without Minions. Altogether, Sylvanas is a safe, powerful, and dependable Hero that opens up many opportunities for snowballing.
6. Reading Further
To take things further, we have 2 more pages that you can read:
- Abilities and Strategy: an overview of your hero's abilities and how to use them;
- Talent Build: a detailed rundown of your talents and how to choose them.
7. ChangeLog+ show all entries - show only 10 entries
- 26 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Updated the Will of the Forsaken discussion.
- 08 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Zul'jin's patch and moved to the new format.
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Talent Build
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin
- Zul'Jin dps
- Ranked advice
- Heroes of the Storm Valeera
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Heroes of the Storm Zul'jin
- Heroes of the Storm Rexxar
- Heroes of the Storm Nova