Sylvanas Build Guide “Let none survive!”
Welcome to our guide for Sylvanas, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Sylvanas is a mobile Ranged Assassin. Her unique ability to Stun Structures through Black Arrows and several Map control-oriented Talent choices reward players with a strong macro-oriented approach to the game. Her mediocre damage output must be made up for with decisive kills however, lest she may end up overwhelmed in long team fights.
Sylvanas's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Weak early game
- Inability to deal selective damage; often stuck having to target what is closest
- Low maximum Health; vulnerable to other, more mobile Assassins
Sylvanas's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Sustained Basic Attack BuildRecommended
Single-Target Burst BuildSituational
Sylvanas's Synergies and Counters
Sylvanas is a rather general pick, in that she works well with the vast majority of team composition. She does, however, excel when picked along other high-damage mobile ranged damage dealers that can capitalise on Black Arrows, Heroes that can provide area of effect crowd control, or with other strong split pushers to create an immense amount of Map pressure.
Sylvanas is an effective pick on all Maps that feature Objectives that provide you with a pushing force, as Black Arrows's Structure disabling effect greatly increases the longevity and effectiveness of such Objectives. Unstable Poison, Mercenary Queen, and Possession make her effective at waveclearing, claiming Mercenary Camps, and split pushing respectively, allowing her to be versatile.
Sylvanas's Tips and Tricks
- Withering Fire is extremely cheap; use it as often as possible if there are no enemy Heroes around.
- Use Shadow Dagger whenever it is available, but see to have it affect as many enemies as possible.
- Haunting Wave should almost exclusively be used only for its mobility, as it deals minimal damage.
- Hold on to Wailing Arrow until you can hit many opponents or for when you need to prevent a Hero from saving another.
- Use Mind Control to move a key target away from their team, and into yours.
- Black Arrows allows you to push down Structures without Minions; exploit this especially with allies and vehicles.
Sylvanas's Role in the Current Meta
Sylvanas offers a unique combination of traits: safe and effective waveclear through Unstable Poison, the ability to disable Structures with Black Arrows, and strong Tank-busting potential through a combination of Shadow Dagger-related Talents. As such, she is a powerful "surprise" late-pick for team compositions seeking to rapidly kill the first enemy in sight, and specifically on Maps that feature Objectives that are likely to take damage from Structures, such as Dragon Shire.
Sylvanas should be picked along a burst damage-oriented Assassin, such as Jaina, and a Tank who is able to reliably apply hard crowd control on the intended kill target, such as Diablo or E.T.C.. Wailing Arrow is treated as one of the most powerful team fighting Heroic Ability as it prevents Healers from assisting said kill target. Depending on your team's burst damage potential however, Mind Control may also work as an isolation tool.
- 22 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Description updated for Dark Lady's Call.
- 07 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Talent builds updated slightly.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (talents page): Talent recommendations and builds updated to better reflect current metagame state. Again.
- 13 Aug. 2020 (talents page): Talent recommendations and builds updated to better reflect current metagame state.
- 27 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Talent discussion added and further updated; new build added.
- 19 Dec. 2018 (abilities page): Updated for the latest rework.
- 17 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Build further updated following Sylvanas rework patch. Talent descriptions incoming.
- 17 Dec. 2018 (this page): Guide updated following Sylvanas rework patch.
- 12 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Build updated following Sylvanas rework patch.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Tier 3 Talent discussion. Updated Shadow Dagger build.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Updated the Will of the Forsaken discussion.
- 08 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Zul'jin's patch and moved to the new format.
- Heroes of the Storm Collection Update: February 6th
- Heroes of the Storm Live Patch Notes: February 6th
- Timeline of Blizzard Presidents
- Johanna Faires Appointed Blizzard Entertainment President
- Will Microsoft Outsource Customer Support to External Companies?
- Blizzard Survival Game, Codenamed Odyssey, Was Cancelled Due to Engine Problems
- Microsoft Lays Off 1,900 Activision Blizzard and Xbox Employees
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: January 17th
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm General Tier List
- Howe accurate is hotslogs/heroesprofile hidden QM MMR?
- Heroes of the Storm Probius
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List