Valeera Build Guide “The pleasure is mine.”
Welcome to our guide for Valeera, a Melee Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Valeera's Overview
Valeera is a melee assassin who uses Stealth and a unique Combo Point system to deal devastating amounts of burst damage to her enemies. Combo Points are generated every time Valeera strikes an enemy Hero with one of her Basic Abilities, which can then be spent on a powerful finishing move called Eviscerate. Unlike other Stealth based Heroes, Valeera is able to activate Vanish at will, allowing her to regularly shift back and forth between the shadows to trick and deceive her opponents. When Stealthed, Valeera has access to a whole new set of abilities commonly referred to as "openers", as these abilities are used to break Valeera from stealth and be the opening sequence to her unrelenting ability combo.
Each one of Valeera's three openers providers her with a different bonus; Ambush can be used for instantaneous pure damage, Cheap Shot for hard crowd-control in the form of a stun, and Garrote for damage-over-time and a crippling Silence. It is important for players to recognize which opener will best suit Valeera's needs at that exact moment, and being able to recognize this is an integral step in pursuing mastery of Valeera's kit.
2. Valeera's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Valeera's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Sinister Strike BuildTalent calculator »
As the name implies, the Sinister Strike Build focuses on talents that cause Sinister Strike to become one of Valeera's primary sources of burst damage. Relentless Strikes will allow Valeera to cast Sinister strike more regularly and Mutilate will vastly increase Sinister Strike's overall damage. When Seal Fate is used in conjunction with Mutilate, Valeera will be able to deal a very large amount of instantaneous burst damage when leaping onto a target effected by a silence, root, or stun (which conveniently can be provided through Cheap Shot or Garrote).
Garrote BuildTalent calculator »
The Garrote Build is primarily focused on the interaction between Hemorrhage and Rupture. Once Rupture has been applied to a target, Basic Attacks will refresh the damage-over-time portion of Garrote, which in turn gives Valeera a consistent 50% increase in Basic Attack damage provided by Hemorrhage. This build should only be used under specific conditions, as it can be easily counter by Heroes who are able to effectively kite Valeera or have abilities which may Blind Valeera rendering her Basic Attacks completely useless.
Energy BuildTalent calculator »
The Energy Build is comprised of Talents that focus on maximizing Valeera's Energy efficiency in battle. Vigor plays a primary role in this build by not only increasing Valeera's passive Energy regeneration, but by also increasing her Energy cap. This will allow Valeera to get off more ability combos more regularly, ultimately increasing her staying power in skirmishes and teamfights. The reduction in Energy cost of Sinister Strike through Relentless Strikes also vastly improves her mobility and allows her to more easily stick to enemies attempting to kite her without chewing too heavily into her Energy reserves.
4. Valeera's Synergies and Counters
Valeera peforms best with Heroes who have a reliable source of crowd-control, high burst damage, or both! Alongside these Heroes Valeera will be able to easily take down most high-priority targets before they are able to react. Also, Heroes who provide Valeera with a means of survivability and damage mitigation are also much appreciated as she has absolutely no self-sustain on her own.
Valeera is countered by Heroes who are able to easily break her from Stealth, as this will prevent her from being able to cast any of her opener abilities. She also is very susceptible to crowd-control as her overextended positioning within the enemy backline will often cause her to be quickly taken down once rendered immobile.
5. Valeera's Maps
Valeera is best suited for larger maps with multiple Objective locations, as she will be able to roam around the Battleground looking for vulnerable enemy Heroes. Due to her limited waveclear and overall PvE potential she tends to suffer on maps where clearing large amounts of enemy Minions or Mercenaries is of high priority.
6. Valeera's Tips and Tricks
- The Unrevealable portion of Vanish may be used mid-fight to trick enemies with new positioning.
- Do not hesitate to use Sinister Strike to dodge powerful enemy skillshots or even to disengage from a losing fight.
- When possible, try to hit multiple enemy Heroes with a single cast of Blade Flurry as to generate bonus Combo Points.
- Resist the temptation to use Cheap Shot on enemies who are already locked down or have a small chance of getting away, as the damage it generates is very low compared to its alternatives.
- Try to use Eviscerate when 3 Combo Points are available to maximize its damage output.
- The Silence portion of Garrote can be used to interrupt an enemy's channeled ability.
- Try to not use Smoke Bomb near enemies who can easily leave its AoE, as this will render the ability completely useless.
- Do not be afraid to use Cloak of Shadows liberally, as the cooldown is rather short for a Heroic Ability.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Valeera is a great counter-pick against low-Health, high-priority targets; particularly assassins known for their massive damage output such as Chromie, Kael'thas, or Jaina. Valeera's damage and utility works best as a followup, first allowing her team to initiate before heading into the mix herself. She pairs excellently with Heroes who provide reliable crowd-control alongside high burst damage. When attempting to enter combat it is incredibly important for Valeera to avoid all damage (particularly AoE), as this will break her from Stealth and ruin her chance to get off an opener ability.
Due to her relatively weak PvE and her strong ganking potential, Valeera should spend most of the match roaming between lanes looking for overextended enemy Heroes to pick off. This will also allow her to more quickly generate stacks of Vigor and complete the quest portion of the Talent much sooner. All of Valeera's potential is wasted should she be forced into laning, so try to draft a team with at least one other Hero who will be able to more effectively clear waves of enemy minions or hold back an enemy from sieging allied fortifications.
- 15 Dec. 2017 (this page): Guide has been updated to reflect latest balance patch, detailing Stealth rework (Vanish Build has been removed).
- 15 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Talents and their discussions have been updated for the latest balance patch.
- 26 Apr. 2017 (talents page): Removed Cold Blood from Level 20 Talent options; Talent Builds previously containing Cold Blood have been adjusted accordingly.
- 14 Apr. 2017 (abilities page): Adjusted Cloak of Shadows's cooldown duration from 25 to 15 seconds.
- 14 Apr. 2017 (talents page): Adjusted Crippling Poison's duration from 3 to 5 seconds and the talent is now deemed situational (was not recommended before).
- 04 Feb. 2017 (this page): Added Vanish talent build.
- 04 Feb. 2017 (talents page): Added Vanish talent build and added talent discussions.
- 25 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide added.
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Laptop charger disconnecting when playing HOTS
- Heroes of the Storm Alexstrasza
- Heroes of the Storm Artanis
- New tactic idea
- Heroes of the Storm Glossary
- Heroes with Self-Healing