Azmodan Build Guide “I shall rule alone!”
Welcome to our guide for Azmodan, a Ranged Specialist in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Azmodan's Overview
Azmodan is a Specialist that revels in long-range assaults and sieging. Although his Abilities all have an inherent form of counterplay, Azmodan's damage-dealing potential is similar to that of Assassins. His abnormally large Health pool makes him difficult to take down despite limited mobility.
2. Azmodan's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Azmodan's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Demon BuildTalent calculator »
The Demon Build focuses on improving Azmodan's Summon Demon Warrior. Although inherently weak, Demon Warriors become quite powerful with the key Hellforged Armor and Brutish Vanguard Talents. While the rest of the build remains very flexible, we have made recommendations for the Talents we believe to be best at each Talent Tier. The synergy between Gluttony, Art of Chaos, and Total Annihilation is notable for making Globe of Annihilation powerful at all stages of the game, and Demonic Invasion is as easy to use as it is flexible.
4. Azmodan's Synergies and Counters
Azmodan's dependency on stacking up Annihilation makes him particularly effective with Heroes that can "cook up" Minion waves for him to last-hit. Otherwise, he works well with anyone that provides reliable crowd control, particularly over an area of effect. Since Azmodan's early-game presence tends to be limited, avoid picking him along other lacklustre early-game Specialists such as Abathur or Murky.
Given his reliance upon channeling, as both Globe of Annihilation and All Shall Burn are put on a full Cooldown after interruption, Azmodan is naturally countered by Heroes that provide reliable means of or stunning or silencing him. His tendency to split push also leaves him vulnerable to aggressive gankers, especially given his large collision that makes him easy to hit and body block.
5. Azmodan's Maps
Azmodan ironically revels on Maps that are either very large or very small; this is due to his broadly different play styles. Small Maps are generally good for Annihilation stacking, whereas larger Maps promote split pushing styles. Regardless, Azmodan can work on most Maps, granted you can adapt your strategy.
6. Azmodan's Tips and Tricks
- Cast Demon Lieutenant whenever it is off-Cooldown; prioritise empty lanes with plenty of Minions, as the Ability has global range.
- Let your allies know that you intend on stacking up Globe of Annihilation on a given Minion wave through Pings so that they may help you out or hold back on waveclearing.
- The area of effect damage effect provided by Summon Demon Warrior can be helpful for stacking up Globe of Annihilation as well.
- Keep track of enemy crowd control so that Globe of Annihilation and All Shall Burn are not interrupted.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Although classified as a Specialist, Azmodan more or less plays like an Assassin; his primary goal is to inflict damage to whatever is in sight. The main difference between him and most regular Assassins, however, is that the majority of his damage can be countered or otherwise avoided in one way or another. The trade-off for this weakness is that all of his Abilities double up as very effective sieging tools. As such, Azmodan players are expected to have a solid grasp on game flow, so as to know when to contribute to skirmishes and team fights, and when to capitalise on isolation to deal important Structural damage.
In general, Azmodan does well against team compositions that lack hard-engages. His very large Health pool and the threat of his Summon Demon Warrior and All Shall Burn make him hard to assassinate, unlike most damage dealers.
- 09 Aug. 2018 (talents page): Talent discussions added
- 08 Aug. 2018 (abilities page): Ability information further updated.
- 07 Aug. 2018 (talents page): Talent recommendations further updated following July 25 balance patch and metagame changes.
- 11 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Talent recommendations updated following July 10 Azmodan rework patch.
- 11 Jul. 2018 (abilities page): Ability information updated following July 10 Azmodan rework patch.
- 11 Jul. 2018 (this page): Guide updated following July 10 Azmodan rework patch.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (this page): Updated role in current meta.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Heroic talent assessments. Updated Wrath build.
- 28 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Added Battleborn build and removed the other advised build, which had fallen out of fashion.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Globe of Annihilation discussion and made a few more small tweaks on the page.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Updated the discussion and evaluation of many talents.
- 08 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Zul'jin's patch and moved to the new format.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 15th
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 33
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: January 11th
- Heroic Deals: January 15th
- Bungie Regains Publishing Rights for Destiny
- New Gold Mount: Crystalline Saddled Battle Beast
- Heroes of the Storm Patch Notes: January 8th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 8th
- Heroes of the Storm Lunara
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Imperius
- New tactic idea
- Laptop charger disconnecting when playing HOTS
- Heroes of the Storm Hanzo
- Heroes of the Storm Stitches
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe