Azmodan Build Guide “I shall rule alone!”
Welcome to our guide for Azmodan, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Azmodan is a caster that revels in long-range assaults and sieging. Defined by his abnormally large Health pool and Globe of Annihilation Ability, Azmodan is able to scale his damage output beyond that of most other Heroes. As a tradeoff, he has very limited options for crowd control and mobility.
Azmodan's Strengths and Weaknesses
Azmodan's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Gluttony BuildTalent calculator »
The Gluttony exploits the synergy between the aforementioned Talent, Art of Chaos, Total Annihilation, and Pride, which are notable for making Globe of Annihilation powerful at all stages of the game. The rest of the build seeks to improves Summon Demon Warrior. Although inherently weak, Demon Warriors become significantly more useful with the key Hellforged Armor and Brutish Vanguard Talents.
Azmodan's Synergies and Counters
Azmodan's dependency on stacking up Annihilation makes him particularly effective with Heroes that can "cook up" Minion waves for him to last-hit. Otherwise, he works well with anyone that provides reliable crowd control, particularly over an area of effect. Since Azmodan's early-game presence tends to be limited, avoid picking him along other lacklustre early-game Heroes such as Abathur or Murky.
Given his reliance upon channeling, as both Globe of Annihilation and All Shall Burn are put on a full Cooldown after interruption, Azmodan is naturally countered by Heroes that provide reliable means of Stunning or Silencing him. His tendency to split push also leaves him vulnerable to aggressive gankers, especially due to his large collision that makes him easy to hit and body block.
Azmodan revels on Maps that are either very large or very small; this is due to his broadly different play styles. Small, three-Lane Maps are generally good for Annihilation stacking, whereas larger Maps promote split pushing styles. Regardless, Azmodan can work on most Maps, granted you adapt your strategy.
Azmodan's Tips and Tricks
- Cast Demon Lieutenant whenever it is off-Cooldown; prioritise empty lanes with plenty of Minions, as the Ability has global range.
- Communicate to your allies that you intend on stacking up Globe of Annihilation on a given Minion wave through Pings so that they may help you out or hold back on waveclearing.
- The area of effect damage effect provided by Summon Demon Warrior can be helpful for stacking up Globe of Annihilation as well.
- Keep track of enemy crowd control so that Globe of Annihilation and All Shall Burn are not interrupted.
Role in the Current Meta
Note about the current Anomaly: Azmodan's playstyle goes entirely against the concept of Experience Globes. By going for long-range last hits, he essentially denies his own team of entire Minion Waves worth of Experience. Due to his already mediocre performance which cannot justify this, Azmodan players should find another Hero to enjoy until the Anomaly is over with.
Once classified as a Specialist, Azmodan has always been closer to his new Ranged Assassin role. Following the rework, your primary goal remains to inflict damage to whatever is in sight. The main difference between Azmodan and most regular Assassins, however, is that the majority of his damage can be countered or otherwise avoided in one way or another. The trade-off for this weakness is that all of his Abilities double up as very effective sieging tools. As such, Azmodan players are expected to have a solid grasp on game flow, so as to know when to contribute to skirmishes and team fights, and when to capitalise on isolation to deal important Structural damage.
In general, Azmodan does well against team compositions that lack hard-engages. His very large Health pool and the threat of his Summon Demon Warrior and All Shall Burn make him hard to assassinate, unlike most damage dealers.
The early game should be dedicated to gathering Globe of Annihilation stacks and passively pushing. As Tide of Sin becomes available, Azmodan becomes significantly more threatening in team fights. Do not neglect participating in them even if it might cost you a few Minion kills.
- 27 Jan. 2020 (talents page): Guide reviewed following January 22 balance patch. No changes to talent recommendations.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 27 Jun. 2019 (abilities page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 27 Jun. 2019 (this page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 27 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 03 Mar. 2019 (talents page): Talent recommendations reviewed and deemed appropriate following February 27 rework.
- 09 Aug. 2018 (talents page): Talent discussions added
- 08 Aug. 2018 (abilities page): Ability information further updated.
- 07 Aug. 2018 (talents page): Talent recommendations further updated following July 25 balance patch and metagame changes.
- 11 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Talent recommendations updated following July 10 Azmodan rework patch.
- 11 Jul. 2018 (this page): Guide updated following July 10 Azmodan rework patch.
- 11 Jul. 2018 (abilities page): Ability information updated following July 10 Azmodan rework patch.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Heroic talent assessments. Updated Wrath build.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (this page): Updated role in current meta.
- 28 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Added Battleborn build and removed the other advised build, which had fallen out of fashion.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Globe of Annihilation discussion and made a few more small tweaks on the page.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Updated the discussion and evaluation of many talents.
- 08 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Zul'jin's patch and moved to the new format.
- Heroic Deals: January 28th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 28th
- The Listening Game Podcast Interview with Kyle Dates
- Warcraft 3: Reforged Releases Today
- Diablo 1 Playable in 4K (The Hell 2 Mod)
- All Blizzard Esports To Be Streamed Exclusively on Youtube
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: January 24th
- 2019 Year in Review
- My vision Yrel for qm and non-high legaue.
- Heroes of the Storm Li-Ming
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Trivia: Maxium Multi-kill Icon