Thrall Build Guide “The Elements will destroy you!”
Welcome to our guide for Thrall, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Thrall's Overview
Thrall is a durable melee Assassin with extraordinary burst damage potential in close combat. He combines utility with raw power, which enables him to cast effective crowd control abilities while also damaging multiple enemies at the same time. Thrall's innate self-sustain and the ability to increase both his movement and attack speed allow him to wreak havoc during teamfights. The fact that he is an essential part of his team composition makes him a high priority target for his opponents.
2. Thrall's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Strong self-sustain due to Frostwolf Resilience
- Huge impact on team fights
- Solid crowd control
- Very strong solo-laner
- Decent at clearing Mercenary Camps
- Vulnerable to crowd control
- Requires good positioning and map awareness
- Susceptible to being kited by mobile enemies
- Predictable playstyle
3. Thrall's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard Sundering BuildTalent calculator »
The Standard Sundering Build is, as the name suggests, compatible with a variety of team compositions. It is a fairly safe build, that allows you perform well in a majority of games you play. We do, however, strongly recommend reading the Talents section, since Thrall has several situational talents, such as Spirit Shield at Level 13 or Alpha Wolf at Level 16, that can greatly improve his overall combat performance.
Rolling Thunder BuildTalent calculator »
The Rolling Thunder Build is a nice build to go for if Thrall finds himself in a difficult laning situation. The additional self-sustain granted by Rolling Thunder can really help avoiding downtimes in the early game. Since this talent also restores Mana whenever Thrall hits a target marked by Chain Lightning, Mana Tide at Level 4 is not recommended in this build. Instead, we suggest Frostwolf Pack, however, make sure to take your time and wait for safe situations to cast Feral Spirit in order to prevent Thrall from losing stacks.
Crash Lightning BuildTalent calculator »
The Crash Lightning Build requires Thrall to be played as part of the rotations (ideally in a 3-man or 4-man lane depending on the map) so he can stack up Crash Lightning as quickly as possible. Make sure to cast Chain Lightning whenever two or more enemy Heroes are close to each other. Minions and other non-Heroic targets could potentially intercept Chain Lightning charges and make it harder to stack Crash Lightning.
4. Thrall's Synergies and Counters
5. Thrall's Maps
Thanks to his strong self-sustain, Thrall excels as a solo-laner on maps like Blackheart's Bay, Haunted Mines, or Sky Temple but can also be played as a potent 4-man laner on maps like Battlefield of Eternity, Braxis Holdout, or Volskaya Foundry using the Lightning Crash Build. All in all, Thrall does not underperform on any map, which is why he is often considered to be a very safe pick during drafts, especially when you are not quite sure which Hero to choose.
6. Thrall's Tips and Tricks
- Thrall is a very powerful solo-laner, who thrives in one-versus-one situations.
- Play very carefully against Heroes that can blind you. Also, refrain from using Windfury while blinded.
- Windfury can be used as a gap-closer or as an escape mechanism.
- Earthquake synergizes very well with other AoE based abilities, such as Diablo's Apocalypse or Jaina's Ring of Frost
- Sundering is one of the strongest and most reliable abilities to interrupt channeled Heroic Abilities like E.T.C.'s Mosh Pit or Li Li's Jug of 1,000 Cups.
7. Thrall's Role in the Current Meta
Melee Assassins like Thrall are capable of initiating team fights, which makes them a quintessential part of their team composition. The ability to single-handedly decide the outcome of such fights makes them one of the hardest roles to master. Thrall's strong performance as a laner and his powerful crowd control abilities, most notably his Sundering and Earthquake Heroic Abilities, should draw a lot of the enemy team's attention to him. Fortunately for Thrall, he can become quite durable during the later stages of the game due to strong defensive talents such as Frostwolf's Grace at Level 13 and Wind Rush at Level 20. If Thrall stays close to his Healer, he will become very hard to kill for the enemy team. On the other hand, if Thrall positions himself in an unfavourable way, he risks getting collapsed on by the opponents.
- 10 May 2018 (talents page): Changed Rolling Thunder from Not Recommended to Recommended and created the Rolling Thunder Build.
- 08 May 2018 (talents page): Changed Crash Lightning from Recommended to Situational.
- 02 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Greatly updated Thrall's Talent Builds and their descriptions. Re-evaluated several talents in accordance with the new Crash Lightning Build.
- 02 Mar. 2018 (this page): Adjusted Thrall's introduction according to the recent guide update.
- 24 Oct. 2017 (this page): Updated Volskaya Foundry ranking and Feral Spirit build.
- 18 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Changed and updated Worldbreaker's description.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Complete revamp of the page, following Thrall's rework in Malthael's patch.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Updated descriptions to account for Thrall's rework in Malthael's patch.
- 12 May 2017 (talents page): Updated Stonewolves' and Tempest Fury's talent descriptions.
- 22 Dec. 2016 (this page): Moved Thrall guide to the new format.
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Heroes of the Storm Leoric
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Heroes of the Storm Imperius
- Did you stop playing after the e-sports cancellation?
- Heroes of the Storm Tyrande
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio