Whitemane Build Guide “Burn in the Light!”
Welcome to our guide for Whitemane, a Ranged Support in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Whitemane's Overview
Whitemane is a ranged Support who can heal her allies with Zeal by damaging her enemies. She is capable of trading damage favourably against most Heroes, and must do so in order to maximise her healing. If she is able to consistently deal damage, she can generate immense healing for her team.
2. Whitemane's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Trades damage very well
- Capable of high healing during team fights
- Most Abilities cost no Mana
3. Whitemane's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Desperate Plea BuildTalent calculator »
The Desperate Plea build focuses on increasing the healing output and self-sustain of Desperate Plea. Martyrdom greatly increases the healing potential of Desperate Plea, while Unwavering Faith is the default option for reducing the Mana cost. Zealous Spirit gives Whitemane a Mana free Zeal buff when she reaches two stacks of Desperation, which will occur naturally when Martyrdom has been selected. Self-Righteous helps Whitemane self-sustain even more, which means she will be able to trade damage more often. This is important, as dealing damage will give healing to all allies with Zeal. Radiance pushes the healing of this build over the top, giving a respectable amount of healing to all allies affected by Zeal. When used in conjunction with Scarlet Aegis, Radiance can almost seem like a burst heal.
A good practice to default to is to cast Desperate Plea twice, and then wait for Desperation to expire before casting it again. While there will be many situations that require you to improvise outside of this pattern, it is a good starting point to preserve your Mana for when you need it most.
Inquisition BuildTalent calculator »
The Inquisition Build focuses on Talents that increase the versatility of Inquisition. This build opens up several plays that are otherwise not possible to perform. Clemency gives you some much needed out-of-combat healing, and can also be used to trigger High Inquisitor's effect when enemy targets are unavailable. Shared Punishment more than doubles the potential effectiveness of Inquisition; Clemency allows you to chain Shared Punishment from allies. This enables you to indirectly damage enemy Heroes from a safer distance, which can be invaluable if you need to back up to regain health. The affected ally will receive healing from Clemency, and again through Zeal from the damage Inquisition deals to an enemy. In late-game fights, Subjugation can give your team a huge advantage by greatly reducing the damage of two enemy Heroes.
Searing Lash BuildTalent calculator »
Searing Lash has a very low cooldown and no Mana cost; this build leverages these strengths by improving the damage, reliability, and availability of Searing Lash. This build has even less reliable healing than the others, and is best taken when a second Support Hero is on your team.
4. Whitemane's Synergies and Counters
Whitemane does not clear Minion waves effectively. She has strong synergy with Heroes who excel at PvE, especially when these Heroes are Supports or Warriors.
Whitemane has very limited mobility, and must remain within the threat range of enemies in order to deal damage to heal her allies. She will struggle against Heroes who can displace her, as she lacks any kind of escape once caught. One of Whitemane's strengths is her ability to trade damage effectively; Heroes who can deal damage to her without trading may be difficult for her to adapt to. Additionally, Heroes who can significantly reduce or prevent healing received can greatly reduce the effectiveness of Zeal during teamfights.
5. Whitemane's Maps
Whitemane has extremely poor waveclear and PvE. She is not strong on any specific map, because her strengths have no interaction with the maps. Her success is more dependant on team compositions than it is the map being played. Due to her lack of PvE damage, she will struggle to be useful while defending against map objectives that spawn units.
6. Whitemane's Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to apply Zeal to damaged allies before dealing damage.
- Desperate Plea is the only Ability in Whitemane's kit that has a Mana cost; manage your Mana wisely.
- Cast Inquisition immediately after Searing Lash to maximise your DPS.
- Cast Searing Lash whenever it is available and it is safe to do so.
- Scarlet Aegis can be used during team fights to apply Zeal to allies without a Desperation cost.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Whitemane has incredible healing potential, but cannot reliably deliver healing in all situations. Because of this, she pairs very well with a second supportive Hero who can provide additional healing or shields on demand. She also pairs well with Heroes that have some self-sustain. Her complete lack of waveclear is another weakness that will limit the team compositions she can fit into. She must have allies who can generate enough map pressure to make up for her lack of PvE interaction. When she does fit into a draft, she can achieve very impressive healing and damage output.
- 23 Aug. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talent discussion to reflect balance patch.
- 11 Aug. 2018 (talents page): Updated builds and added Desperate Plea build.
- 07 Aug. 2018 (this page): Guide added.
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 36
- Heroic Deals: February 19th
- Free-to-Play Heroes Rotation: February 19th
- Weekly Brawl - Trial Grounds: February 15th
- Heroic Deals: February 12th
- Activision Blizzard Q4 2018 Earnings Call & Layoffs
- Heroes of the Storm Patch Notes: February 12th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: February 12th
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Cho
- Heroes of the Storm Azmodan
- A to Z (troll) series: Heroes of the Storm - A like AZMODAN!
- Heroes of the Storm Ana
- Heroes of the Storm D.Va
- Heroes of the Storm Auriel
- A to Z (troll) series: Heroes of the Storm - A like AURIEL!