Falstad Build Guide “Time to drop the hammer!”
Welcome to our guide for Falstad, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Falstad is a versatile and flexible ranged damage dealer. His strong points are his solid single-target DPS, extreme on-demand area of effect ranged burst damage, and map-wide mobility. However, his relative fragility makes him a high priority target.
Falstad's Strengths and Weaknesses
Falstad's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Lightning Rod BuildRecommended
Basic Attacks BuildSituational
Falstad's Basic Attacks Build provides a fair amount of sustain damage on a single target thanks to multiple Talents that improve your damage via Basic Attacks: Frequent Flyer at Level 1, Secret Weapon at Level 7, and Sustained Winds at Level 13.
Tailwind BuildNot recommended
Falstad's Tailwind Build provides both poke damage while fighting and macro value while laning thanks to Flow Rider at Level 13 halving the cooldown of Basic Abilities when Falstad has not taken damage for 6 seconds, reduced to 3 seconds thanks to Aerie Gusts at Level 16.
We do not recommended this Build because Gathering Storm at Level 1 is heavily undertuned nowadays.
Falstad's Synergies and Counters
Falstad is at his best when something stands between him and his enemies. Large, Healthy Tanks are particularly desirable as they draw attention away from Falstad, and often provide their own form of crowd control for potential follow-ups. Otherwise, anything that can protect Falstad is also desirable. Shielding effects are particularly impactful due to his limited Health pool.
As a frail ranged Assassin, Falstad tends to naturally struggle against other high damage Assassins who have the ability to effectively gap close past his Barrel Roll's range or otherwise sneak up on him. With little in the way of self-peeling, see to stay near your Healer when possible against such Heroes, and make no bold attempts at outplaying your opponents. Also consider running a Lightning Rod-centric build, as such builds tend to do better against the majority of Falstad's counters.
Flight makes Falstad particularly effective on larger Maps that feature multiple Objectives that must be contested, as it allows him to effectively soak and push without giving up potential team fighting presence, as would other Heroes. Falstad's Mighty Gust also makes him potent on Maps that feature Bosses, as he makes it particularly difficult for opponents to safely try and claim or contest due to the fear of being pushed away. Overall, Falstad's versatility makes him a viable pick almost anywhere.
Falstad's Tips and Tricks
- Capitalize on Flight's global range to split push or soak Experience. It can also be used to gank.
- Using Hammerang and Hinterland Blast against targets under crowd control will greatly improves your accuracy. Nothing beats practice, however.
- Limit your offensive use of Barrel Roll, as it leaves you vulnerable.
- Use Mighty Gust to disengage a losing battle, to split the opposing forces in half, push your enemies into your team for blocking their retreat, or steal Capture Points.
Falstad's Role in the Current Meta
Falstad is preferred over other Ranged Assassin when a given team composition needs a global to handle side lanes, especially if the rest of the team can poke the enemy team that is trying to capture the Objective while Falstad is soaking and therefore slowly giving an Experience advantage to his whole team.
- 04 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 04 Mar. 2021 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 04 Mar. 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 25 Feb. 2021 (talents page): New layout.
- 30 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Talent Descriptions fixed.
- 05 Nov. 2020 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 05 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 05 Nov. 2020 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 20 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talent discussions updated.
- 20 Sep. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 20 Sep. 2020 (abilities page): Minor fixes.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 19 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Talents reviewed and updated; AA build added.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Mage build recommendation added.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 12 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talents section reviewed and updated.
- 12 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 12 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 03 May 2017 (this page): Guide updated and moved to new format.
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: April 17-18
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 10-11
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 10-11
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 3-4
- The "Grandfather" of Classic Omar Gonzalez Left Blizzard for Dreamhaven
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 3-4
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Malfurion
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Valla
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Deckard
- Heroes of the Storm Probius