Falstad Build Guide “Time to drop the hammer!”
Welcome to our guide for Falstad, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Falstad is a versatile and flexible ranged damage dealer. His strong points are his solid single-target DPS, extreme on-demand area of effect ranged burst damage, and map-wide mobility. However, his relative fragility makes him a high priority target.
Falstad's Strengths and Weaknesses
Falstad's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Basic Attacks BuildRecommended
Falstad's Tailwind Build provides both poke damage while fighting and macro value while laning thanks to Flow Rider at Level 13 halving the cooldown of Basic Abilities when Falstad has not taken damage for 6 seconds, reduced to 3 seconds thanks to Aerie Gusts at Level 16, which basically doubles the value you can get from BOOMerang at Level 7.
While it is highly recommended to choose Wingman at Level 1 because you will spend most of the time soaking on your own, you can occasionally go for Gathering Storm on two-lane Battlegrounds or better in ARAM because having to take care of a single lane will allow you to hit enemy Heroes more often.
Lightning Rod BuildSituational
Falstad's Synergies and Counters
Falstad is at his best when something stands between him and his enemies. Large, Healthy Tanks are particularly desirable as they draw attention away from Falstad, and often provide their own form of crowd control for potential follow-ups. Otherwise, anything that can protect Falstad is also desirable. Shielding effects are particularly impactful due to his limited Health pool.
As a frail ranged Assassin, Falstad tends to naturally struggle against other high damage Assassins who have the ability to effectively gap close past his Barrel Roll's range or otherwise sneak up on him. With little in the way of self-peeling, see to stay near your Healer when possible against such Heroes, and make no bold attempts at outplaying your opponents. Also consider running a Lightning Rod-centric build, as such builds tend to do better against the majority of Falstad's counters.
Flight makes Falstad particularly effective on larger Maps that feature multiple Objectives that must be contested, as it allows him to effectively soak and push without giving up potential team fighting presence, as would other Heroes. Falstad's Mighty Gust also makes him potent on Maps that feature Bosses, as he makes it particularly difficult for opponents to safely try and claim or contest due to the fear of being pushed away. With the Wingman Talent, Falstad is also fearsome on any Map where Siege Giants are present. Otherwise, Falstad's versatility makes him a viable pick almost anywhere.
Falstad's Tips and Tricks
- Capitalize on Flight's global range to split push or soak Experience. It can also be used to gank.
- Using Hammerang and Hinterland Blast against targets under crowd control will greatly improves your accuracy. Nothing beats practice, however.
- Limit your offensive use of Barrel Roll, as it leaves you vulnerable.
- Use Mighty Gust to disengage a losing battle, to split the opposing forces in half, push your enemies into your team for blocking their retreat, or steal Capture Points.
Role in the Current Meta
Falstad is preferred over other Ranged Assassin when a given team composition needs a global to handle side lanes, especially if the rest of the team can poke the enemy team that is trying to capture the Objective while Falstad is soaking and therefore slowly giving an Experience advantage to his whole team.
- 30 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Talent Descriptions fixed.
- 05 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 05 Nov. 2020 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 05 Nov. 2020 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 20 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talent discussions updated.
- 20 Sep. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 20 Sep. 2020 (abilities page): Minor fixes.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 19 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Talents reviewed and updated; AA build added.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Mage build recommendation added.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 12 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talents section reviewed and updated.
- 12 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 12 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 03 May 2017 (this page): Guide updated and moved to new format.
- The New Battle.net Is Almost Here, Going Live in NA
- Merry Christmas from the Icy Veins Team!
- Blizzard Sending Out New Surveys About "Classic" Version of The Burning Crusade
- How to Become a Better Stukov Player
- Activision Blizzard's Stock Reached All-Time Highs
- Cyberpunk 2077 Wiki from IcyWiki
- Heroes of the Storm Live Patch Notes: December 1st
- Storm League Changes in the Hogger Patch
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Cassia
- Heroes of the Storm Qhira
- Heroes of the Storm Hogger
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List