Malthael Build Guide “Death is beyond your reach.”
Welcome to our guide for Malthael, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Malthael is a melee Assassin who naturally counters high-Health targets. Calm players who are able to maximise the impact of this damage-over-time Ability, Reaper's Mark, will find him to be able to deal an overwhelming amount of damage to all targets, granted you are able to deal with kiting.
Malthael's Strengths and Weaknesses
Malthael's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard BuildTalent calculator »
Malthael's Synergies and Counters
Malthael's outstanding self-sustain makes him a natural ally for most healers, although he will tend to prefer damage mitigation over raw healing. Strong initiation and team fight presence goes a long way to opening windows of opportunity for him to pick off Heroes that are out of position. Area of effect crowd control is also particularly valuable when combined with Tormented Souls.
Malthael's outstanding single-target DPS makes him particularly potent on Maps where PvE-like Objectives have to be killed. Beyond this point, Malthael's relative well-roundedness does not make him particularly effective or weak anywhere. Every Map can benefit from a strong solo laner who has the ability to claim Mercenary Camps, an attribute which Malthael provides.
Malthael's Tips and Tricks
- Reaper's Mark can be maintained on up to 3 targets through regular Basic Attacks; spread its effects as much as possible.
- Reaper's Mark's damage also works against most non-Structure units, making it effective against Bosses and Map Objectives.
- You can hold the default Q hotkey to repeatedly cast Soul Rip without effort.
- Wraith Strike is useful for quickly avoiding impending skillshots and areas of effect.
- A marker appears above Heroes that would die to Last Rites's damage.
Role in the Current Meta
Reaper's Mark defines Malthael as a premiere counterpick to team compositions that are melee-heavy or otherwise feature Heroes with large Health pools. This Trait also allows Malthael to deal a significant amount of damage to Bosses and Map Objectives which need to be killed. In general however, he tends to do poorly against ranged Heroes, and should not be picked against two or less melee opponents.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 15 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Talents and builds updated to better reflect current metagame state.
- 06 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Talents and builds updated following Maiev patch changes.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Heroic talent discussion. Updated Soul Rip and Reaper builds.
- 14 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Added talent discussions.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Guide created.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Guide created.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (this page): Guide created.
- Introducing Mastery Rings
- Heroic Deals: October 15th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: October 15th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 15th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: October 11th
- Heroic Deals: October 8th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 8th
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: October 4th
- Heroes of the Storm Kel'Thuzad
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Varian
- Heroes of the Storm Rehgar
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters