Malthael Build Guide “Death is beyond your reach.”
Welcome to our guide for Malthael, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Malthael is a Bruiser who naturally counters high-Health Heroes. Calm players who are able to build Reaper's Mark against multiple targets will be rewarded with overwhelming sustained damage and great survivability.
Malthael's Strengths and Weaknesses
Malthael's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Malthael's Synergies and Counters
Malthael's outstanding self-sustain makes him a natural ally for most Healers, although he will tend to prefer damage mitigation over raw healing. Strong initiation and team fight presence goes a long way to opening windows of opportunity for him to pick off Heroes that are out of position. Area of effect crowd control is also particularly valuable when combined with Tormented Souls.
Malthael's outstanding single-target DPS makes him particularly potent on Maps where PvE-like Objectives have to be killed. Beyond this point, Malthael's relative well-roundedness does not make him particularly effective or weak anywhere. Every Map can benefit from a strong solo laner who has the ability to claim Mercenary Camps, an attribute which Malthael provides.
Malthael's Tips and Tricks
- Malthael's Basic Attacks hit enemies in a 180 degree arc; use this to maintain Reaper's Mark on as many targets as possible.
- Reaper's Mark's damage also works against most non-Structure units, making it effective against Bosses and Map Objectives.
- You can hold the default Q hotkey to repeatedly cast Soul Rip without effort.
- Wraith Strike is useful for quickly avoiding impending skillshots and areas of effect.
- Tormented Souls resets Wraith Strike's Cooldown on-use AND when Tormented Souls ends.
- A skull marker appears above Heroes that would die to Last Rites's damage.
Role in the Current Meta
Note about the current Anomaly: Malthael is the perfect Hero to gather Experience Globes, as his playstyle naturally lends itself to remaining close to Minions. Forcing opponents to approach you is also an outstanding boon, improving your ability to harass and ultimately deny Experience.
Reaper's Mark defines Malthael as a premiere counterpick to team compositions that are melee-heavy or otherwise feature Heroes with large Health pools. This Trait also allows Malthael to deal a significant amount of damage to Bosses and Map Objectives which need to be killed. In general however, he tends to do poorly against ranged Heroes, and should not be picked against two or less melee opponents.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (this page): Guide fully reviewed.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (abilities page): Note added about Malthael's unique Basic Attack and section reviewed and description for Tormented Souls updated.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Description for Tormented Souls updated.
- 15 Feb. 2020 (talents page): Talents and recommendations reviewed following February 12 patch changes.
- 12 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 15 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Talents and builds updated to better reflect current metagame state.
- 06 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Talents and builds updated following Maiev patch changes.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Heroic Talent discussion. Updated Soul Rip and Reaper builds.
- 14 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Added Talent discussions.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (this page): Guide created.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Guide created.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Guide created.
- Activision Blizzard Q2 2020 Financial Report
- Old Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Trailer Upscaled to 4K
- Blizzard at Gamescom 2020
- The Summoning: Diablo 4 Announcement Cinematic Trailer Parody
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: July 15th
- Climate Phenomena Nexus Anomaly Removed from the Game
- Upcoming Heroes of the Storm AMA: July 16th
- Diablo 2 Gameplay AI Upscaled to 4K, 60 FPS
- Heroes of the Storm Mei
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- How do I get out of Bronze/Silver?
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Totally accurate rank list of heroes of the storm
- Did you stop playing after the e-sports cancellation?