Malthael Build Guide “Death is beyond your reach.”
Welcome to our guide for Malthael, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Malthael is a Bruiser who naturally counters high-Health Heroes. Calm players who are able to apply Reaper's Mark onto multiple targets will be rewarded with overwhelming sustained damage and great survivability.
Malthael's Strengths and Weaknesses
Malthael's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Malthael's Synergies and Counters
Heroes that displace enemies, like Garrosh and E.T.C. are excellent with Malthael, as they will ease the focus on a target, allowing Last Rites to execute it. One of Malthael's problems is that he takes too long to reduce an enemy's health to Last Rites's threshold, so he is great with Greymane's Cursed Bullet or with Tychus's The Bigger They Are....
Due to how Malthael's damage and self sustain is completely tied to Soul Rip, he has excellent synergy with Heroes that can reduce his Cooldowns. While Ana with Nano Boost turns Malthael into an immortal killing machine, Malfurion can enhance his effectiveness very often through Innervate.
As a melee Assassin with a rather telegraphed play style, Malthael is very vulnerable to any form of targeted crowd control. Furthermore, since his main gap closer, Wraith Strike, requires him to either attack or hit a slow skillshot, he is naturally bound to be kited by nimble ranged Heroes.
Against experienced players, Blaze will be an excellent counter to Malthael. Bunker Drop cleanses Reaper's Mark from anyone that enters it. It also denies Last Rites's damage. Considering enemies will be inside bunker, Malthael's self sustain will be very limited, as Malthael will not be able to use Soul Rip to sustain himself.
Malthael is a very versatile Hero that is excellent in many different maps. On a Pale Horse enhances Malthael's effectiveness in large maps, while his outstanding double soak makes him a good pick on Infernal Shrines, Sky Temple, and Towers of Doom. His good dueling capabilities can be abused on Dragon Shire and Tomb of the Spider Queen. Additionally, since Malthael can easily capture Mercenary Camps, due to his good self-sustain, he is good on macro-heavy maps, like Garden of Terror and Blackheart's Bay.
Malthael's Tips and Tricks
- Malthael's Basic Attacks hit enemies in a 180 degree arc; use this to maintain Reaper's Mark on as many targets as possible.
- Reaper's Mark's damage also works against most non-Structure units, making it effective against Bosses and Map Objectives.
- You can hold the default Q hotkey to repeatedly cast Soul Rip without effort.
- Wraith Strike is useful for quickly avoiding impending skillshots and areas of effect.
- Tormented Souls resets Wraith Strike's Cooldown on-use AND when Tormented Souls ends.
- A skull marker appears above Heroes that would die to Last Rites's damage.
- Do not be conservative with Last Rites, as it is better to guarantee a kill and get the Cooldown reduction than to hold it.
- Inevitable End can be used to bait important Abilities from the enemy team, as the Cooldown is relatively low.
- Due to Shroud of Wisdom's delay, it should be activated around 1.5 seconds before going in, as most Abilities will be used on you in the first seconds. Using it too quickly might result in having reduced uptime, while taking too long might cost your life.
Role in the Current Meta
Reaper's Mark defines Malthael as a premiere counterpick to team compositions that are melee-heavy or otherwise feature Heroes with large Health pools. This Trait also allows Malthael to deal a significant amount of damage to Bosses and Map Objectives which need to be killed. In general however, he tends to do poorly against ranged Heroes, and should not be picked if enemies can easily kite you.
Malthael's macro playstyle consists on constantly clearing waves while damaging the opposing solo laner through Reaper's Mark and Soul Rip. At fights, we recommend to poke the enemy frontline with Death Shroud and Soul Rip until the opposing team wastes important Abilities. If you try to engage by yourself, enemies will easily burst you down, because of Malthael's low HP. For this reason, it is better to be patient until a good opportunity shows up.
- 17 Oct. 2020 (abilities page): Updated Wraith Strike's discussion.
- 17 Oct. 2020 (this page): Guide updated to better reflect current meta.
- 17 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talents updated to better reflect current meta.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Description for Tormented Souls updated.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (abilities page): Note added about Malthael's unique Basic Attack and section reviewed and description for Tormented Souls updated.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (this page): Guide fully reviewed.
- 15 Feb. 2020 (talents page): Talents and recommendations reviewed following February 12 patch changes.
- 12 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 15 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Talents and builds updated to better reflect current metagame state.
- 06 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Talents and builds updated following Maiev patch changes.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Heroic Talent discussion. Updated Soul Rip and Reaper builds.
- 14 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Added Talent discussions.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Guide created.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (this page): Guide created.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Guide created.
- BlizzCon 2020 Would Have Started Today: October 23rd
- An Update on the Development of StarCraft II
- Players Join Protests Against Blizzard France In-Game
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Patch Notes: October 7th
- Activision Blizzard To Close France Office
- Week 1 Analysis of the Heist League from The Chaos Report
- WarCraft 2 Remake in WC3: Reforged
- Second Warcraft Movie Rumor Mentioned by Chris Metzen
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin
- Heroes of the Storm Deathwing