Artanis Build Guide “Direct my wrath.”
Welcome to our guide for Artanis, a Melee Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Artanis' Overview
Artanis is an aggressive frontline Warrior that thrives on combat while below 75% maximum health, as Shield Overload and related talents can make him deceptively difficult to kill. Artanis' lack of innate gap-closers means that he must commit to his Blade Dash + Phase Prism combination in order to effectively engage team fights from longer distances.
2. Artanis' Strengths and Weaknesses
- Great sustained damage
- Phase Prism can be used during Blade Dash, which provides Artanis with unexpected mobility
- Once below 75% health, Shield Overload can make Artanis very difficult to kill if not focused
- Both Suppression Pulse and Purifier Beam are global, allowing Artanis to influence team fighs from anywhere on the battlefield
- Uses very little Mana
3. Artanis' Talent Build Cheatsheet
Prism Bruiser BuildTalent calculator »
The Prism Bruiser Build emphasizes Artanis' strong damage potential. Chrono Surge enables Artanis to win duels against most other Heroes, the Attack Speed it provides also synergizes very well with his Shield Overload Trait as it will lower the cooldown significantly. While Artanis' early game can sometimes be a little rough, talents like Blades of a Templar at Level 16 and Zealot Charge at Level 20 mark a significant late game power spike.
Defensive Tank BuildTalent calculator »
The Tank Build focuses mainly on Artanis' own survivability and his ability to absorb as much incoming damage as possible. As such, defensive talents like Reactive Parry or Shield Battery are crucial. Since Artanis' main source of self-protection is his Shield Overload Trait, lowering its cooldown by using Basic Attacks make Chrono Surge and Triple Strike a powerful choice.
4. Artanis' Synergies and Counters
Artanis gets countered by Heroes like Muradin or Brightwing whose Slows, Stuns, and Polymorphs abilities can prevent Artanis from using his Basic Attacks. Varian's Stuns and his Level 16 talent Shattering Throw, in particular, pose a serious threat to Artanis' shields, which makes him the ultimate counter.
5. Artanis' Maps
6. Artanis' Tips and Tricks
- Use Blade Dash to finish off enemies and to reduce the cooldown of Shield Overload with early talents.
- Always use Twin Blades when it is available.
- Try to hit backline enemies with Phase Prism while Blade Dash is active.
- Phase Prism can be used as a disengage mechanism if it hits an enemy Hero blocking your escape path.
- Use Suppression Pulse just as you enter a large team fight to reduce the damage that you will take.
- Use Purifier Beam on your low mobility targets, since they lack the means to escape it easily.
- Constantly use Basic Attacks, especially Twin Blades, to reduce Shield Overload's cooldown.
7. Artanis' Role in the Current Meta
Artanis can be played as a stalwart Tank or an aggressive Bruiser. In both roles, he thrives on extended combat, as long he is able to consistently attack a nearby target. Aside from Phase Prism, Blade Dash is Artanis' only gap-closer. In order for Artanis to reach enemy ranged Heroes, assistance from his team is usually required. Additionally, crowd control counters Artanis hard, as he must be able to use Basic Attacks to keep up his shields from Shield Overload.
Due to his lack of crowd control and gap-closers, Artanis relies more heavily on his team than other Heroes. For instance, Jaina and Muradin are able to Slow and Stun enemies, making much easier for Artanis to stick to a target. Tassadar is another Hero that synergises well with Artanis. Plasma Shield provides survivability without healing Artanis past 50% of his maximum health, allowing him to still benefit from Shield Overload. Conversely, be wary of picking Artanis into teams with plenty of Stuns and burst damage.
- 26 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Updated Artanis' talents section and recommended Builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 22 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Updated Phase Bulwark's and Psionic Wound's descriptions.
- 06 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Updated Chrono Surge's description.
- 04 May 2017 (talents page): Updated Artanis' talents section with new descriptions for Graviton Vortex and Titan Killer.
- 14 Dec. 2016 (this page): Moved Artanis to the new format, following its rework in Ragnaros patch.
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Jaina
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio
- Heroes of the Storm Mal'Ganis
- New tactic idea
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie