Artanis Build Guide “Direct my wrath.”
Welcome to our guide for Artanis, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Artanis is an aggressive frontline Bruiser that thrives on combat while below 75% maximum health, as Shield Overload and related talents can make him deceptively difficult to kill. Artanis' lack of innate gap-closers means that he must commit to his Blade Dash and Phase Prism combination in order to effectively engage team fights from longer distances.
Artanis' Strengths and Weaknesses
- Great sustained damage
- Phase Prism can be used during Blade Dash, which provides Artanis with unexpected mobility
- Once below 75% health, Shield Overload can make Artanis very difficult to kill if not focused
- Both Suppression Pulse and Purifier Beam are global, allowing Artanis to influence team fighs from anywhere on the battlefield
- Uses very little Mana
Artanis' Talent Build Cheatsheet
Aggressive Bruiser BuildTalent calculator »
The Aggressive Bruiser Build emphasizes Artanis' strong damage potential. Follow Through enables Artanis to win duels against most other Heroes. The bonus damage it provides pairs off really well with Amateur Opponent when it comes to dealing with PvE Objectives, such as the Immortal on Battlefield of Eternity but also Mercenaries, Structures, or Bosses. While Artanis' early game can sometimes be a little rough, talents like Blades of a Templar at Level 16 and Target Purified at Level 20 mark a significant late game power spike. If the enemy team consists of 2 or more high health Heroes, Titan Killer can unfold great synergy with Triple Strike making it a solid alternative choice. We would also like to stress the necessity of picking Suppression Pulse at Level 10 if the enemy team features strong Basic Attackers.
Defensive BuildTalent calculator »
The Defensive Build focuses mainly on Artanis' own survivability and his ability to absorb as much incoming damage as possible. As such, protective talents like Reactive Parry or Shield Battery are recommended. Depending on the map, however, Amateur Opponent can be picked at Level 1, especially on battlegrounds with important PvE objectives, such as Immortals (e.g. Battlefield of Eternity) or Bosses (e.g. Cursed Hollow, Alterac Pass). Since Artanis' main source of self-protection is his Shield Overload Trait, lowering its cooldown by using as many Basic Attacks as possible make Triple Strike and Blades of a Templar powerful choices.
Artanis' Synergies and Counters
Artanis pairs extremely well with Heroes like Malfurion or Whitemane, whose sustained healing will gradually replenish Artanis' health, while his own shields guarantee him protection against burst damage. Since Artanis should usually not be played as the team's main Tank, we recommend picking another frontliner such as Muradin.
Artanis gets countered by Heroes like Muradin or Brightwing whose Slows, Stuns, and Polymorphs abilities can prevent Artanis from using his Basic Attacks. The same applies to Heroes like Cassia, whose Blinds can cripple his combat performance. Varian's Stuns and his Level 16 talent Shattering Throw, in particular, pose a serious threat to Artanis' shields, which makes him the ultimate counter.
Artanis' Tips and Tricks
- Use Blade Dash to finish off enemies and to reduce the cooldown of Shield Overload with early talents.
- Always use Twin Blades when it is available.
- Try to hit backline enemies with Phase Prism while Blade Dash is active.
- Phase Prism can be used as a disengage mechanism if it hits an enemy Hero blocking your escape path.
- Use Suppression Pulse just as you enter a large team fight to reduce the damage that you will take.
- Use Purifier Beam on your low mobility targets, since they lack the means to escape it easily.
- Constantly use Basic Attacks, especially Twin Blades, to reduce Shield Overload's cooldown.
Artanis' Role in the Current Meta
Artanis should be played as a Bruiser. In this role, he thrives on extended combat, as long he is able to consistently attack a nearby target. Aside from Phase Prism, Blade Dash is Artanis' only gap-closer. In order for Artanis to reach enemy ranged Heroes, assistance from his team is usually required. Additionally, crowd control counters Artanis hard, as he must be able to use Basic Attacks to keep up his shields from Shield Overload.
Due to his lack of crowd control and gap-closers, Artanis relies more heavily on his team than other Heroes. For instance, Jaina and Muradin are able to Slow and Stun enemies, making it much easier for Artanis to stick to a target.
- 20 Nov. 2019 (talents page): Revised Artanis' guide and found it to up-to-date. Also added Alterac Pass to Artanis' maps rankings, as it was still missing.
- 05 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Changed and updated Artanis' talents and builds to the latest standard. For Aiur!
- 15 Jan. 2019 (this page): Updated Artanis' introduction and Talent Builds.
- 15 Jan. 2019 (talents page): Changed Target Purified from Situational to Recommended and Plasma Burn from Recommended to Situational.
- 26 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Updated Artanis' talents section and recommended Builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 22 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Updated Phase Bulwark's and Psionic Wound's descriptions.
- 06 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Updated Chrono Surge's description.
- 04 May 2017 (talents page): Updated Artanis' talents section with new descriptions for Graviton Vortex and Titan Killer.
- 14 Dec. 2016 (this page): Moved Artanis to the new format, following its rework in Ragnaros patch.
- 360 Day Boost Now On Sale for 6,000 Gems
- Sleepy Cloud Mount Available for 1,000 Gems
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: November 19th
- Diablo 2 Remaster Unlikely - Code and Assets Were Lost According to Creators
- Upcoming Content Release Schedule (Deathwing & Balance Update)
- Diablo 2 Cinematics Upscaled to 4K and 8K
- Heroic Deals: November 12th
- Heroes of the Storm Hotfixes: November 12th
- Heroes of the Storm Arthas
- Heroes of the Storm Malthael
- Heroes of the Storm Sgt. Hammer
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Li-Ming
- Heroes of the Storm Kel'Thuzad
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat