Artanis Build Guide “Direct my wrath.”
Welcome to our guide for Artanis, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Artanis is an aggressive Bruiser that excels at fighting for prolonged periods of time thanks to Shield Overload and its related Talents making him difficult to kill without the use of crowd control and burst damage together.
Artanis's Strengths and Weaknesses
Artanis's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Shield Overload BuildRecommended
Artanis's Shield Overload Build is designed to heavily increase your survivability by empowering Shield Overload as much as possible, indirectly helping you to deal more damage over the course of a team fight.
Blade Dash BuildSituational
Basic Attacks BuildSituational
Twin Blades BuildSituational
Artanis's Synergies and Counters
Artanis pairs extremely well with Healers who can provide sustained healing (such as Malfurion) to gradually replenish his Health while his own Shields guarantee him protection against burst damage, with Heroes who can crowd control enemy Heroes to either keep them at melee distance (for example Arthas with his Root or even just his Slow) or to stop them in place after a successful Blade Dash plus Phase Prism combo (like Kael'thas with Gravity Lapse), and Heroes who can mitigate his lack of mobility (such as Zarya with Speed Barrier at Level 4).
Artanis gets countered by Heroes who can Knockback him out of his Blade Dash's animation (such as E.T.C. with Face Melt), Heroes who can Root him or even just Slow him (for example Arthas and Lunara respectively), Heroes who can Blind him (such as Johanna with Shield Glare), and Heroes who can deal bonus damage to Shields (Varian with Shattering Throw comes to mind).
Artanis is good on Maps where he can get value from Amateur Opponent at Level 1 to take down a big Monster at the Objective (such as the Immortal on Battlefield of Eternity) or for a strong Mercenary Camp (for example the Sentinel on Hanamura Temple) but he suffers on Maps where it is important that the solo laner has waveclear (such as Towers of Doom).
Artanis's Tips and Tricks
- Use Blade Dash to reduce the cooldown of Shield Overload, to finish off enemy Heroes, or to deal damage when affected by Blind.
- Do not spam Twin Blades because it is your only gap-closer and your main tool to reduce the cooldown of Shield Overload.
- Use Phase Prism during Blade Dash to surprise an enemy Hero with this displacement combo.
- Actively watch the cooldown of Shield Overload to decide when to use Twin Blades, Blade Dash, or just Basic Attacks.
- Use Suppression Pulse just as you enter a large team fight to reduce the damage that you and your allied Heroes will take.
- Use Purifier Beam on enemy Heroes with low mobility, else it goes wasted.
Artanis's Role in the Current Meta
Artanis is a Bruiser and therefore should be played as a Solo Laner. He shines in extended combat, as long he is able to consistently use Basic Attacks on a nearby target, something that cannot be easy due to his low mobility. In order for Artanis to reach and be able to stick on enemy Heroes, assistance from his team is usually required, so be sure that your team has enough crowd control when you want to play him. Additionally, crowd control counters Artanis hard, as he needs to use Basic Attacks to keep up his shields from Shield Overload.
- 26 Apr. 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 22 Mar. 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 22 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 03 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 03 Mar. 2021 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 03 Mar. 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 25 Feb. 2021 (talents page): New layout.
- 01 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 01 Nov. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 15 Sep. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 15 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 07 May 2020 (talents page): Builds and Descriptions changed according to the latest Balance Update.
- 07 May 2020 (this page): Builds and Descriptions changed according to the latest Balance Update.
- 22 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build fully revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 22 Apr. 2020 (this page): Introduction fully revised to match new standards.
- Overview rewritten to better describe the Hero.
- Strengths and Weaknesses modified to give a better idea about the Hero when being played right.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Synergies and Counters modified to mention notable Heroes that were missing and to remove misleading Heroes that were listed.
- Maps modified to focus on the main aspects of the Hero when evaluating a Map.
- Tips and Tricks modified to list important tips that were missing before and to delete more obvious ones.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to reflect the current metagame and to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 22 Apr. 2020 (abilities page): Ability and Strategy fully revised to match new standards.
- Tips and Tricks modified to add important tips that were missing and to remove obvious ones that were not worth mentioning.
- Ability Descriptions modified to better explain how to use Abilities effectively.
- 23 Mar. 2020 (abilities page): Outdated information corrected.
- 06 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 20 Nov. 2019 (talents page): Revised Artanis' guide and found it to up-to-date. Also added Alterac Pass to Artanis' maps rankings, as it was still missing.
- 05 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Changed and updated Artanis' talents and builds to the latest standard. For Aiur!
- 15 Jan. 2019 (this page): Updated Artanis' introduction and Talent Builds.
- 15 Jan. 2019 (talents page): Changed Target Purified from Situational to Recommended and Plasma Burn from Recommended to Situational.
- 26 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Updated Artanis' talents section and recommended Builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 22 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Updated Phase Bulwark's and Psionic Wound's descriptions.
- 06 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Updated Chrono Surge's description.
- 04 May 2017 (talents page): Updated Artanis' talents section with new descriptions for Graviton Vortex and Titan Killer.
- 14 Dec. 2016 (this page): Moved Artanis to the new format, following its rework in Ragnaros patch.
- Global Battle.net Rolling Out Today
- Hanamura Temple Map Guide
- Icy Veins Masters Clash Championship - Road to Paris Schedule: June 5-6
- No BlizzCon Planned for 2021
- Icy Veins Masters Clash Championship Special Accommodation Offer
- IGN Report on Blizzard Departures and the Company's Future, With Insider Info
- Heroes of the Storm Live Patch Notes: May 18, 2021
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: May 15-16
- Heroes of the Storm Lt. Morales
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Opening Moves
- Heroes of the Storm Hanamura Temple
- Heroes of the Storm Hotkeys
- Heroes of the Storm Johanna