Johanna Build Guide “The Crusade marches on!”
Welcome to our guide for Johanna, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Johanna is a low-mobility, extremely resilient Tank, capable of Blinding, Slowing, Stunning, and pulling enemies. She excels at creating chaos and disruption in the midst of the enemy team for extended periods of time while also peeling for her allies. Johanna is one of the handful of Heroes in the game with no direct counters, and is able to fit into nearly any team composition.
Johanna's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Extremely resilient
- Condemn provides you with one of the best waveclear abilities of any Tank in the game
- Laws of Hope provides a massive amount of health regeneration and healing
- Strong against Basic Attackers
- Iron Skin absorbs a significant amount of damage and provides with you 4 seconds of Unstoppable, preventing crowd control from affecting you
Johanna's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Defensive BuildTalent calculator »
The Defensive Build focuses solely on Johanna's survival on the battlefield. The choice of Laws of Hope at Level 1 makes her a strong early-game laner. It is important to keep in mind that Subdue at Level 7 can be a strong alternative choice, especially if the enemy team consists of multiple melee Assassins and/or Warriors, who are usually easier to hit with Punish than ranged Heroes. We usually recommend picking Blessed Shield with this Build in order to provide peel for your backline by keeping enemy Tanks and Bruisers at distance.
Aggressive BuildTalent calculator »
The Aggressive Build is only recommended if your team already has a dedicated full Tank. While Johanna loses Blessed Shield with this Build, which means she will not be able to peel as well for her backline, she gains a lot of initiation power thanks to Falling Sword. At Level 20, Heaven's Fury provides a significant damage boost and cooldown reduction to her Heroic Ability, which often catches enemies off guard, since many do not expect this level of pressure from Johanna.
Johanna's Synergies and Counters
Johanna is one of the few Heroes in the game that has no natural counters. She cannot be bursted quickly by Assassins, or crowd controlled by Supports or Tanks, due to Iron Skin. However, this does not mean she is overpowered or always a good pick to have on your team. Johanna is instead countered by playstyle, such as ignoring her in team fights or targeting her while Iron Skin is on cooldown. Johanna also lacks good mobility and has no gap-closers, meaning that she can be kited very effectively and has difficulty keeping up with dive-heavy allies. The only Hero we would currently consider to be a "counter" to Johanna is Varian due to his Shattering Throw talent at Level 13, which allows him to shatter both Johanna's Iron Skin and her Indestructible talent at Level 20.
Johanna is a decent pick on almost any map with the exception of Warhead Junction. She thrives on battlegrounds like Dragon Shire or Tomb of the Spider Queen that favor early game rotations with tons of waveclear.
Johanna's Tips and Tricks
- Damage and Slow adjacent enemies with Punish.
- Condemn can interrupt abilities like Muradin's Dwarf Toss or E.T.C.'s Mosh Pit.
- Shield Glare enemies that deal significant Basic Attack damage.
- Use Blessed Shield to engage, buy time to flee, or to interrupt enemies that are channelling abilities.
- Use Iron Skin just prior to an enemy using crowd control on you.
Johanna's Role in the Current Meta
Johanna is a formidable choice in the current Anomaly. She is resilient and possesses the strongest waveclear of all Tanks, allowing her team to rotate fast and efficiently around the map.
Johanna's Tankiness, disruption, waveclear, crowd control, and good sustained damage makes her a very strong Hero overall, and a good fit for nearly any team composition. She synergises well with a wide variety of Heroes, especially the ones that provide additional waveclear. She has no natural Hero counters. Iron Skin, with its 4 seconds of Unstoppable also makes Johanna very effective versus teams made up of lots of crowd control, as she is mostly unaffected by it.
Although Johanna is able to play defensively, providing some peeling for her allies, she is more potent when played aggressively. Her disruptions, in the form of Blinds, damage, Slows, Stuns, and pulls, are all AoE and therefore more effective when used against multiple enemies. Additionally, Johanna's large amount of maximum health and relatively low damage output versus single targets (compared to Assassins) means that the enemy team is incentivised to ignore her, instead prioritising more the vulnerable backline Heroes. Therefore, it is important to zone the enemy team's carries as much as possible, which can typically only be done with an aggressive playstyle.
- 12 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 11 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Updated Johanna's guide to align it more with the current state of the game.
- 16 Oct. 2018 (talents page): Changed Sins Exposed from Situational to Recommended.
- 29 Jan. 2018 (abilities page): Added Falling Sword to the page.
- 02 Nov. 2017 (talents page): Changed Subdue from Not Recommended to Recommended.
- 29 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated Johanna's talents for Ana's patch.
- 04 May 2017 (talents page): Updated Heaven's Fury's talent description and recommendation.
- 17 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Probius' patch and moved to the new format.
- 29 Jan. 2017 (talents page): Changed Blessed Hammer from Not Recommended to Recommended and updated Johanna's Builds.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 14th
- Path of Diablo (2) Season 9 Brings a New Skill, Widescreen Support, Trade 2.0 and More
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 7th (Delayed)
- Deathwing Nerfs Coming in the Next Balance Patch
- Heroic Deals: January 7th
- Warcraft 3: Reforged and StarCraft 2 Join the ESL
- Diablo 2 Fan Remaster / Upscale Project
- The Listening Game Podcast: Cloaken Interviews Lana Bachynski
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Trivia: Maxium Multi-kill Icon
- Heroes of the Storm Leoric
- Heroes of the Storm D.Va
- Remember when Legendary skins were...well, Legendary?