Fenix Build Guide “The enemy approaches. Prepare for battle.”
Welcome to our guide for Fenix, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Fenix is a ranged Assassin who can modify the range and performance of his weapon systems during battle. This allows him to excel at a variety of damage-related tasks, and to adapt to different battlefield situations accordingly. Shield Capacitor allows Fenix to trade damage favourably, but he must retreat from combat in order to regenerate his shields.
Fenix's Strengths and Weaknesses
Fenix's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Basic Attack BuildRecommended
The Basic Attack Build is the only recommended build for Fenix. Most of his damage comes from Repeater Cannon and Phase Bomb. Therefore, it is better to pick talents that increases the damage output from Basic Attacks, such as Arsenal Synergy or Mobile Offense. This build stacks several Talents that increase Basic Attack damage. Divert Power: Weapons should usually be activated to increase damage once it is clear that the enemy team is committed to a teamfight. This will allow you to trade optimally until your shields are gone, and to benefit from the bonus damage as long as possible. Photonic Weaponry is a safe pick that will almost always add damage, but Offensive Cadence can be very strong against Tanks and Bruisers if they are unable to retaliate.
Fenix's Synergies and Counters
The effectiveness of Fenix's AoE damage can be amplified by bringing enemy Heroes closer together, or by keeping them close together. This makes him strong with Heroes that can Pull enemies together (such as Johanna with Condemn). Fenix also does well with Heroes who can easily slow entire the enemy team, allowing Purification Salvo to deal maximum damage in teamfights. Thrall with Earthquake or Diablo with Lightning Breath are good setups for Purification Salvo.
Fenix relies on Shield Capacitor in order to trade damage efficiently. Varian has Shattering Throw that can obliterate shields, making it hard for Fenix to deal damage safely at all. He can also be countered by Heroes who can follow him when he uses Warp to escape, especially if those Heroes can get back out safely after diving him, like Zeratul or Genji. Fenix is also very punished by crowd control. Tanks with many stuns and knockbacks are a threat; you have to play very safely when against E.T.C.. Lúcio is also a concern, considering he can use Sound Barrier to counter Purification Salvo, and his Soundwave will often cancel your Warp.
Fenix is best on Maps where the Objective involves large numbers of units. This is due to his sustain area of effect damage, which will help to defend against such objectives. Fenix is also a relatively strong Offlaner. With strong waveclear, PvE damage, and solo-lane capability, Fenix is able to be somewhat effective on all Maps.
Fenix's Tips and Tricks
- Cast Plasma Cutter liberally, and always try to follow it up with Basic Attacks.
- Stutter-step to keep enemies near your maximum range.
- Use Shield Capacitor to trade damage with enemy Heroes. Your shields will regenerate, but their health will not.
- Use Weapon Mode: Repeater Cannon on isolated targets like Boss Mercenaries, Forts, or enemies who are out of position.
- Save Warp to escape or reposition as needed.
- Cast Purification Salvo when enemies are slowed by Plasma Cutter for maximum damage.
Fenix's Role in the Current Meta
Fenix deals excellent sustain area of effect damage, and is able to do so from range. He is efficient against Heroes, is able to clear Minions and Mercenaries quickly, and deals impressive damage to Structures when his team is pushing. This versatility makes him a good fit for most team compositions.
Because Fenix is able to adapt his weapon use to accomplish a variety of tasks, he can perform well on most Maps. His sustain area of effect capabilities will stand out on Maps that have Objectives that involve many units, such as Braxis Holdout and Tomb of the Spider Queen. Fenix is, at the very least, adequate on all Maps. He can fit well into almost any draft as a Ranged Assassin.
- 26 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Updated Talent recommendations.
- 04 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Talents and Builds updated after recent balance patch.
- 04 Mar. 2021 (this page): Builds updated after recent balance patch.
- 20 Jan. 2021 (talents page): Talent section reviewed and no changes are necessary.
- 20 Jan. 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed and no changes are necessary.
- 30 Jul. 2020 (this page): Offensive Cadence defined as the main Talent for Fenix.
- 07 Apr. 2020 (this page): Builds, Synergies and Counters Updated to reflect current meta.
- 07 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect current meta.
- 15 Feb. 2020 (this page): Talent section and build guide recommendations updated to reflect February 12 balance patch.
- 15 Feb. 2020 (talents page): Talent section and build guide recommendations updated to reflect February 12 balance patch.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Updated Role in the Current Meta to include information on current Nexus Anomaly.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (abilities page): Guide reviewed and updated to reflect meta developments.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (this page): Guide reviewed and updated to reflect meta developments.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (talents page): Guide reviewed and updated to reflect meta developments.
- 12 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Removed Warp Conduit.
- 28 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect June 26 balance patch.
- 25 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Talent choices and text have been updated to reflect the meta's development.
- 13 Apr. 2018 (talents page): Talent choices updated to reflect April 12 balance patch.
- 04 Apr. 2018 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect meta's development.
- 27 Mar. 2018 (abilities page): Guide added.
- 27 Mar. 2018 (this page): Guide added.
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players
- NetEase Responds to Blizzard Licensing Agreement Expiration
- Most Blizzard Game Services to Be Suspended in China on January 23rd
- Activision Blizzard Q3 2022 Financial Results
- Activision Blizzard Games Coming to Game Pass After Microsoft Acquisition
- Heroes of the Storm Wandering Keg
- Heroes of the Storm Garden of Terror
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Observer and Replay Interface Guide
- Heroes of the Storm Quick Match Tier List