Fenix Build Guide “The enemy approaches. Prepare for battle.”
Welcome to our guide for Fenix, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Fenix is a ranged Assassin who can modify the range and performance of his weapon systems during battle. This allows him to excel at a variety of damage-related tasks, and to adapt to different battlefield situations accordingly. Shield Capacitor allows Fenix to trade damage favourably, but he must retreat from combat in order to regenerate his shields.
Fenix's Strengths and Weaknesses
Fenix's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Plasma Cutter BuildTalent calculator »
The Plasma Cutter Build focuses on Talents that improve the damage and utility of Plasma Cutter. Advanced Targeting increases the damage potential of Plasma Cutter by making each cast circle an additional time. Combat Advantage can only deal bonus damage to slowed targets, so the extra sweep of Plasma Cutter makes it possible to get two sweeps of bonus damage on enemies without outside assistance. Auxiliary Shields works well, because you should be delivering Basic Attacks whenever possible. Additionally, your Basic Attack damage will be permanently increased by Advanced Targeting each time you hit an enemy Hero with Plasma Cutter. Arsenal Overcharge will allow you to cast Plasma Cutter more often. Alternatively, Photonic Weaponry offers an almost permanent damage buff thanks to Auxiliary Shields. Secondary Fire is the perfect damage enhancement for a Plasma Cutter oriented build. However, the other two Storm Talents are also very useful. Singularity Charge has great synergy with both Level 16 options, and can give you some extra range when you need it. Unconquered Spirit is good if you are worried about being killed during the late game.
Basic Attack BuildTalent calculator »
The Basic Attack Build stacks several Talents that increase Basic Attack damage. Divert Power: Weapons should usually be activated to increase damage once it is clear that the enemy team is committed to a teamfight. This will allow you to trade optimally until your shields are gone, and to benefit from the bonus damage as long as possible. Auxiliary Shields is ideal for this build, because it allows you to quickly regain shields while trading with enemy Heroes. However, if the enemy team has Talents that deal bonus damage to shields, Dampening Field can be a good substitute. Photonic Weaponry is a safe pick that will almost always add damage, but Offensive Cadence can be very strong against Tanks and Bruisers if they are unable to retaliate.
Fenix's Synergies and Counters
The effectiveness of Fenix's AoE damage can be amplified by bringing enemy Heroes closer together, or by keeping them close together. This makes him strong with Heroes that can pull enemies together. Fenix also does well with Heroes who can lend him a shield if his Shield Capacitor becomes exhausted.
Fenix relies on Shield Capacitor in order to trade damage efficiently. Some Heroes have access to Talents that can obliterate shields, which can make it hard for Fenix to deal damage safely at all. He can also be countered by Heroes who can follow him when he uses Warp to escape, especially if those Heroes can get back out safely after diving him.
Fenix is best on maps where the main objective involves large numbers of units. This is due to his sustained AoE damage, which will help to defend against such objectives. Fenix is also a relatively strong solo-laner. With strong waveclear, PvE damage, and solo-lane capability, Fenix is able to be somewhat effective on all maps.
Fenix's Tips and Tricks
- Cast Plasma Cutter liberally, and always try to follow it up with Basic Attacks.
- Stutter-step to keep enemies near your maximum range.
- Use Shield Capacitor to trade damage with enemy Heroes. Your shields will regenerate, but their health will not.
- Use Weapon Mode: Repeater Cannon on isolated targets like Boss Mercenaries, Forts, or enemies who are out of position.
- Save Warp to escape or reposition as needed.
- Cast Purification Salvo when enemies are slowed by Plasma Cutter for maximum damage.
Role in the Current Meta
Fenix deals excellent sustained AoE damage, and is able to do so from range. He is efficient against Heroes, is able to clear Minions and Mercenaries quickly, and deals impressive siege damage to Structures when his team is pushing. This versatility makes him a good fit for most team compositions.
Because Fenix is able to adapt his weapon use to accomplish a variety of tasks, he can perform well on most maps. His sustained AoE capabilities will stand out on maps that have objectives that involve many units, such as Braxis Holdout and Tomb of the Spider Queen. Fenix is, at the very least, adequate on all maps. He can fit well into almost any draft as a ranged damage dealer.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (abilities page): Guide reviewed and updated to reflect meta developments.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (talents page): Guide reviewed and updated to reflect meta developments.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (this page): Guide reviewed and updated to reflect meta developments.
- 12 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Removed Warp Conduit.
- 28 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect June 26 balance patch.
- 25 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Talent choices and text have been updated to reflect the meta's development.
- 13 Apr. 2018 (talents page): Talent choices updated to reflect April 12 balance patch.
- 04 Apr. 2018 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect meta's development.
- 27 Mar. 2018 (abilities page): Guide added.
- 27 Mar. 2018 (this page): Guide added.
- Introducing Mastery Rings
- Heroic Deals: October 15th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: October 15th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 15th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: October 11th
- Heroic Deals: October 8th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 8th
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: October 4th
- Heroes of the Storm Kel'Thuzad
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Varian
- Heroes of the Storm Rehgar
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters