Imperius Build Guide “Valor will be victorious!”
Welcome to our guide for Imperius, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Imperius is a high-damage melee Bruiser that can also be played as a tank. He has a variety of self-healing mechanisms allowing him to pursue his enemies relentlessly. While his damage is to be respected, his limited mobility and underwhelming peel potential usually require him to be paired with another frontliner.
Imperius's Strengths and Weaknesses
Imperius's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Molten Armor BuildRecommended
Imperius's Synergies and Counters
Imperius's mobility is one of his greatest weaknesses, consequently, he pairs extremely well with Heroes like Jaina or Fenix that can slow enemies, so Imperius can catch them up with Celestial Charge. On the other hand, Heroes like Mal'Ganis or E.T.C. that can keep enemies in place are even better, because Imperius is very dependent on hitting his Charge, and a sleeping or stunned enemy is a guaranteed hit. Furthermore, as a tank, Imperius requires another resistant Hero in the frontline that can compensate for his lack of peel, like Yrel or Blaze.
Imperius falls slightly behind other solo laners when it comes to waveclear. However, he excels in teamfights due to his high damage and sustain. For those reasons, Imperius is a great hero in teamfight focused maps that do not require you to double soak, such as Towers of Doom, Volskaya Foundry, or Alterac Pass.
Imperius's Tips and Tricks
- Molten Armor is very strong in a 1-versus-1 situation, as it focuses all of its damage on the same target.
- Angelic Armaments can be used to take down enemy Heroes, so do not hesitate to use the activatable component if you do not have to worry about getting damaged.
- Celestial Charge can be used to impale and Stun several enemies at once, however, keep in mind that Imperius cannot move during the animation.
- Molten Armor can be activated while Imperius is impaling enemies with Celestial Charge to maximize his damage output.
- Stutter-stepping is crucial when playing Imperius in order to maximize Valorous Brand's damage output.
- To improve Imperius' waveclear, use Solarion's Fire when the enemy Minion wave is lined up in a straight line.
- The closer your target is from you, the easier it is to hit Celestial Charge. If you aim Celestial charge very close to Imperius, it will hit enemies much sooner, because there will be no time spent moving towards the enemy.
Role in the Current Meta
While Imperius's sustained damage may be slightly higher than that of other Bruisers, his poor waveclear turns him into an underwhelming bruiser if you need to constantly double soak. For this reason, Imperius can also be picked as a main tank, where he will still bring all his damage to fights, while not compromising your macro play.
Imperius's early game is decent, however, he truly shines in the later stages of the game with increased self-sustain and damage thanks to his Level 7, 13, 16 and 20 Talents. Imperius will be a dangerous threat after level 7 and beyond, so it is recommended to play carefully before those power spikes.
- 25 Oct. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 25 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Descriptions updated.
- 12 Oct. 2020 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 12 Oct. 2020 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 12 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 19 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 19 Sep. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 16 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Updated Talents and Builds to reflect current meta.
- 16 Jul. 2020 (this page): Builds updated to reflect current meta.
- 19 Jun. 2020 (abilities page): Reviewed and updated the abilities section.
- 19 Jun. 2020 (this page): Guide updated to address Imperius's tank capabilities and Celestial Charge build.
- 19 Jun. 2020 (talents page): Updated Builds and Talents to better reflect current meta.
- 15 May 2020 (talents page): Updated Builds and Talents to reflect Pathetic Mortals' changes.
- 15 May 2020 (this page): Updated guide to better reflect current meta.
- 13 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Updated Builds and Talents to better reflect current meta.
- 12 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Updated Imperius' Talents and Builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Imperius' abilities in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 10 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Revised the Imperius guide and applied several minor updates.
- 28 Jan. 2019 (talents page): Changed Burn the Impure from from Situational to Recommended and updated the Build accordingly.
- 10 Jan. 2019 (talents page): Changed Sovereign Armor from Situational to Recommended.
- 08 Jan. 2019 (this page): Guide added.
- New Hero Teaser: November 21st
- A Call to Strike on Blizzard France Employees on Shadowlands Launch Day
- Blizzard Selling Face Masks on Gear Store
- The Blizzard Gear Fest Has Begun!
- BlizzConline 2021 Will Be Free to Watch!
- David Kim, Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer Moves to WoW
- Activision Blizzard Q3 2020 Earnings Call
- Chris Metzen Unveils Warchief Gaming Tabletop Game Company
- Heroes of the Storm Sonya
- Taunt Varian now has the most HP in the game
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe