Cho Build Guide “This Nexus, all its power... it will be MINE!”
Welcome to our guide for Cho, a Melee Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Cho's Overview
Cho is the Warrior half of the entity controlled by two players known as Cho'gall. The player in charge of Cho has the burden of controlling the entity's movement and Basic Attacks, whereas the second player, in control of Gall, acts as a "turret" that uses Abilities from Cho's physical position. Cho's strongest points are his area of effect disruption, outstanding resilience, and ability to safely position Gall, whom can deal high levels of sustained damage, right into the midst of combat. Should Cho be killed, Gall will die with him, instantly yielding two kills worth of experience to opponents.
Given the highly unusual nature of Cho, we highly recommend that you use this guide along with our Gall guide, so as to get a better understanding of the Hero.
2. Cho's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Easily countered during drafts
- Deaths are twice as punishing, as they mean losing two Heroes
- Only allows a team to have 4 Heroes, reducing overall Map presence
- Very reliant on Heroic Abilities to significantly impact team fights
3. Cho's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Firestarter BuildTalent calculator »
4. Cho's Synergies and Counters
Cho'gall's nature makes him thrive when teamed up with a strong healer, particularly those who possesses a form of crowd control of their own to make up for Cho'gall's own lack of non-Heroic crowd control. Otherwise, most Tanks do well with him, granted they also bring plenty of crowd control of their own.
Cho'gall's nature makes him particularly vulnerable to most forms of crowd control and percent-based damage sources. Fortunately, Cho'gall has plenty of Talent choices and maneuvers that allow him to adapt to a variety of less-than-ideal situations.
5. Cho's Maps
Since Cho'gall limits the number of Heroes your team can field, he tends to be weak on Maps that requires to effectively distribute Heroes across multiple points at once. On the other hand, his gank resilience makes him difficult to kill, even when caught while rotating, and his excellent long-ranged area of effect damage and zero Mana costs are excellent for taking out small Objectives that must be killed and poking opponents.
6. Cho's Tips and Tricks
- Surging Fist can be interrupted; be careful when casting it near opponents with crowd control.
- Consuming Blaze heals for each enemy hit; hit as many as possible with the Ability, and then try and attack an ignited target to gain even more healing.
- Rune Bomb's slow travel time makes it much more effective at short range. Be sure to call out your cast for Gall to detonate the bomb.
- Upheaval has a short cast time, and pulls opponents behind your position; be sure to account for these factors.
- Hammer of Twilight is an excellent tool for quickly interrupting opponents.
- Ogre Hide should be active whenever you are about to take a significant amount of damage.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Cho is a selfish Warrior that deals high amounts of area of effect damage through the associated Gall player. This fact, combined with a large Health pool and several defensive talents, promotes a unique ranged bruiser-like playstyle that exploits Gall's damage to safely poke several opponents before following up on the crowd control of teammates or initiating with a double Heroic Ability chain so as to brute-force kills.
Given the nature of Cho'gall, communication is extremely important between the two players that are sharing the Hero, but also, with the remaining members of the team that must deal with the unusual situation of playing with only four total bodies.
Drafting-wise, Cho and Gall should almost always be picked last, for certain Heroes tend to effectively counter them. It is also important to draft them along a Hero that is capable of performing the duties of a tank, as Cho'gall is unsuitable to effectively perform such duties despite being labeled as a Warrior by the game.
- 28 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Talents and recommendations updated to reflect July 25 balance patch changes.
- 17 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Probius' patch and moved to the new format.
- Weekly Brawl - Garden Arena: January 18th
- Heroic Deals: January 22nd
- Imperius Meta Tier List (January 2019)
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 15th
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 33
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: January 11th
- Heroic Deals: January 15th
- Heroes of the Storm - Your Momma's Joke
- Heroes of the Storm Lunara
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Imperius
- New tactic idea
- Laptop charger disconnecting when playing HOTS
- Heroes of the Storm Hanzo
- Heroes of the Storm Stitches