Leoric Build Guide “All will suffer as I have suffered!”
Welcome to our guide for Leoric, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Leoric is an aggressive melee Bruiser with strong self-sustain and great mobility. He excels at dealing high damage through powerful Basic Attacks and close-range abilities, while his survivability allows him to stand his ground even if outnumbered by several enemies. After taking lethal damage, Undying causes him to turn into a Ghost capable of moving freely and using abilities to slow enemies. After a certain amount of time (influenced by how abilities are used while in Ghost form), Leoric comes back to life at the current location of the Ghost.
Leoric's Strengths and Weaknesses
Leoric's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Wraith Walk BuildTalent calculator »
The Wraith Walk Build provides a powerful and unique playstyle that allows Leoric to severly cripple the enemy team's combat performance while diving deep into the enemy team's backline using Wraith Walk. Hitting hostile Assassins and Warriors over and over again reducing their damage by 50% allows the rest of your team to seize the initiative. At Level 20, Buried Alive becomes a really powerful talent that allows you to trap and silence targets, which can single-handedly decide the outcome of late game team fights.
Life Leech BuildTalent calculator »
The Life Leech Build is particularly good against enemy Heroes with a large health pool, such as Diablo or Arthas. Make sure to cast Drain Hope on a relatively immobile target in order to prevent your target from escaping its reach. At Level 4, Kneel, Peasants! can be replaced by Ghastly Reach, which has outstanding synergy with Consume Vitality at Level 1, if the map does not require a lot of waveclear. At Level 13, Spectral Leech is a great tool to maintain your damage and self-sustain, especially against high-health targets and possesses great synergy with Mithril Mace's Attack Speed increase.
Leoric's Synergies and Counters
Leoric pairs off really well with high-burst Assassins like Jaina or Kael'thas who can follow up on Entomb. Since Leoric is ideal to counter enemy Warriors due to his percentage damage from Drain Hope, he pairs off well with Tychus who helps taking down tanky targets with his Minigun. This combo works particularly well on Heroes that are caught in Entomb.
Leoric is a good pick on maps like Braxis Holdout, Dragon Shire, or Tomb of the Spider Queen that require a strong solo-laner with good self-sustain and waveclear.
Leoric's Tips and Tricks
- Leoric is a powerful solo-laner. Use your strong Basic Attacks and your self-sustain to your advantage.
- Do not be afraid to sacrifice your life if this means your team gets an important Objective in return.
- Due to their high health pool, Drain Hope is particularly effective if used on enemy high health Heroes.
- Wraith Walk allows you to walk through enemy Gates.
- Trade your life when it saves one or even several of your teammates, since Undying causes you to resurrect faster than them.
- You can still use your Hearthstone while in Undying form.
Leoric's Role In The Current Meta
Due to his strong laning presence and powerful waveclear, Leoric proves to be a decent choice in the current Anomaly. If he picks Kneel, Peasants! at Level 4, Leoric can easily soak Experience Globes in between two lanes, giving his team an edge in experience income. Thanks to strong talents and Heroic Abilities throughout the game, Leoric always remains a force to be reckoned with.
Leoric fulfills the role of an offensive Bruiser that poses a constant threat to nearby enemies. While he is innately not as durable as Tanks like Johanna or Muradin, Leoric can nevertheless become quite tanky due to his outstanding self-heal abilities. However, the fact that Leoric has a hard time closing in on agile Heroes requires him to choose his targets wisely. In order to become a decent Leoric player, it is very important to know when to engage and when to remain patient.
What distinguishes Leoric from any other Bruisers is his Undying trait. When Leoric dies, this trait turns him into a Ghost that can freely move around the map, continually regenerating health. As soon as Leoric's Ghost has reached full health, he resurrects at the Ghost's current location, which allows him to immediately rejoin the battle. Although Leoric cannot damage his opponents while Undying is active, he is still able to slow them and accelerate his resurrection process.
- 09 Jan. 2020 (talents page): Changed Mithril Mace from Not Recommended to Recommended and updated the Life Leech Build accordingly.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 25 Nov. 2019 (talents page): Revised Leoric's guide and applied changes to his Drain Life Build. Entomb and Buried Alive are now prioritized.
- 12 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Updated Leoric's talents and builds to better reflect the current state of the game.
- 13 Nov. 2018 (talents page): Updated Leoric's talent builds and talents section.
- 08 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated builds and talent recommendations to reflect changes in meta.
- 12 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Changed Hopelessness from Not Recommended to Recommended.
- 08 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated Ominous Wraith discussion.
- 07 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Completely overhauled and updated Leoric's talents in accordance with the Kel'Thuzad patch.
- 07 Sep. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Leoric's abilities page in accordance with the Kel'Thuzad patch.
- 03 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Updated Royal Focus' and Lingering Apparition's descriptions.
- 07 Apr. 2017 (this page): Moved guide to new format.
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: April 6th
- New Heroes of the Storm Teaser: April 5th
- 25 Years of Warcraft Anniversary Video 8K Upscale
- The Blizzard April Fools Archive and Highlights
- Weekly Brawl - Braxis Outpost: April 3rd
- Heroes of the Storm April Fools PTR Patch Notes
- Heroic Deals: April 1st
- All Heroes Remain Free to Play Through April 13th
- Immortal Kings Call HELP needed
- Heroes of the Storm The Lost Vikings
- Heroes of the Storm Kharazim
- Heroes of the Storm Kerrigan
- Heroes of the Storm Kael'thas
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Illidan
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul