Gall Build Guide “Those who oppose me invite their own demise!”
Welcome to our guide for Gall, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Gall's Overview
Gall is the Assassin half of the entity controled by two Players known as Cho'gall. The Player in charge of Gall has the burden of using the entity's most powerful Abilities, whereas the second Player, in control of Cho, acts as the "driver" that controls Cho's more simple Abilities, physical position, and Basic Attacks. Gall's strongest points are his high area of effect damage and outstanding resilience, due to being tied to Cho's extremely tough body. Should Cho be killed, Gall will die with him, instantly yielding two kills worth of experience to their opponents.
Given the highly unusual nature of Gall, we highly recommend that you use this guide along with our Cho guide, so as to get a better understanding of the Hero.
2. Gall's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Reliant on skillshots
- Easily countered during drafts
- Limited utility beyond raw damage
- Deaths are twice as punishing, as they mean losing two Heroes
- Only allows a team to have 4 Heroes, reducing overall map presence
- Very reliant on Heroic Abilities to significantly impact team fights
3. Gall's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Shadowflame BuildTalent calculator »
The Shadowflame Build revolves around greatly improving the potency of Gall's Shadowflame. Key aspects of the build revolve around reducing the Cooldown of Shadowflame through the Double Trouble Talent, and then turning into a potent percent-based damage source. This build has particularly strong synergy with the Hero Level 7 Cho Talent Firestarter.
4. Gall's Synergies and Counters
Cho'gall's nature makes him thrive when teamed up with a strong healer, particularly those who possesses a form of crowd control of their own to make up for Cho'gall's own lack of non-Heroic crowd control. Otherwise, most Tanks do well with him, granted they also bring plenty of crowd control of their own.
Cho'gall's nature makes him particularly vulnerable to most forms of crowd control and percent-based damage sources. Fortunately, Cho'gall has plenty of Talent choices and maneuvers that allow him to adapt to a variety of less-than-ideal situations.
5. Gall's Maps
Since Cho'gall limits the number of Heroes your team can field, he tends to be weak on Maps that requires to effectively distribute Heroes across multiple points at once. On the other hand, his gank resilience makes him difficult to kill, even when caught while rotating, and his excellent long-ranged area of effect damage and zero Mana costs are excellent for taking out small Objectives that must be killed and poking opponents.
6. Gall's Tips and Tricks
- Shadowflame is by far your highest source of damage. Use it whenever it is off-Cooldown, and take advantage of the fact that it deals its damage instantly.
- Dread Orb has an extremely long range; using it against nearby Structures whenever there are no better targets is an effective way of maximising its potential.
- Runic Blast requires you to be well-coordinated with your Cho partner; ask them to let you know whenver they use Rune Bomb, or pay close attention to Cho's "Bomb's out!" shout.
- Twisting Nether works particularly well with Cho's Upheaval; try and use them together. Use the Ability's movement speed reduction effect to keep enemies within attack range.
- Shadow Bolt Volley can be difficult to aim, especially if Cho is not prepared for it; let them know ahead of time!
- Shove is extremely useful for avoiding dangerous skillshots and area of effect Abilities.
- Be mindful when activating Ogre Rage in combat, as it leaves Cho 25% less resilient than he would otherwise be.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Gall is permanently attached to Cho's body, and as such, goes wherever Cho goes. Gall's Abilities have little to no utility to them, and are in stead capable of dealing large amounts of damage to multiple enemies. As such, Gall's primary goal is to lay waste to whatever comes within range and coordinate with the Cho player so as to maximise the effectiveness of their Abilities.
Given the nature of Cho'gall, communication is extremely important between the two Players that are sharing the Hero, but also, with the remaining members of the team that must deal with the unusual situation of playing with only four total bodies.
Drafting-wise, Cho and Gall should almost always be picked last, for certain Heroes tend to counter them. It is also important to draft them along a Hero that is capable of performing the duties of a tank, as Cho'gall is unsuitable to effectively perform such duties despite being labeled as a Warrior by the game.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Fixed a paragraph that was referring to Ogre Rage instead of Ogre Hide.
- 18 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Probius' patch and moved to the new format.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: June 25th
- 2019 Season 3 Changes and Updates
- Top French Publication Says Diablo 4 Has Been Shown to Blizzard Employees
- Heroes of the Storm Reddit AMA Recap: June 20th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: June 21st
- Heroic Deals: June 18th
- Heroes of the Storm Patch Notes: June 18th
- Heroes of the Storm Reddit AMA: June 20th
- Heroes of the Storm Cassia
- Heroes of the Storm Anub'arak
- Heroes of the Storm Chen
- Heroes of the Storm Lt. Morales
- Heroes of the Storm Sonya
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat