Gall Build Guide “Those who oppose me invite their own demise!”
Welcome to our guide for Gall, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Gall is the Assassin half of the entity controled by two players known as Cho'gall. The player in charge of Gall has the burden of using the entity's most powerful Abilities, whereas the second player, in control of Cho, acts as the "driver" that controls Cho's more simple Abilities, physical position, and Basic Attacks. Gall's strongest points are his high area of effect damage and outstanding resilience, due to being tied to Cho's extremely tough body. Should Cho be killed, Gall will die with him, instantly yielding two kills worth of experience to their opponents.
Given the highly unusual nature of Gall, we highly recommend that you use this guide along with our Cho guide, so as to get a better understanding of the Hero.
Gall's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Good waveclear
- Humongous Health pool
- Outstanding duelist
- Permanently tied to Cho, a Tank, making coordination easy
- Strongest late game in Heroes of the Storm
- Good escape with Shove
- Provides vision for his team with Eye of Kilrogg
- Weak early game
- Requires a dedicated Healer
- Vulnerable to percent-based damage
- Easily countered during drafts
- Deaths are twice as punishing, as they mean losing two Heroes
- Only allows a team to have 4 Heroes, reducing overall map presence
- Very reliant on Heroic Abilities to significantly impact team fights
Gall's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Dread Orb BuildRecommended
The Dread Orb build revolves around greatly improving the potency of Gall's Dread Orb, turning it into a powerful PvE-oriented Ability and general disruption tool. Key Talents include Twilight Nova and Leaden Orb.
Gall's Synergies and Counters
Cho'gall's nature makes him thrive when teamed up with a strong Healer, particularly those who possesses great single target healing, like Alexstrasza's Life-Binder, Brightwing's Phase Shift, or Ana's constant Healing. Furthermore, a good bruiser or tank to be with Cho'gall in the frontline is a great addition to the composition.
Cho'gall's nature makes him particularly vulnerable to most forms of crowd control and percent-based damage sources. Fortunately, Cho'gall has plenty of Talent choices and maneuvers that allow him to adapt to a variety of less-than-ideal situations. However, Anub'arak's Cocoon can turn the fight into a 5v3, and is a major threat to Cho'gall.
Since Cho'gall is completely dependent on late game Talents, he excels on maps which will mostly reach Levels 16 and 20. He is extremely weak in snowball maps, like Battlefield of Eternity and Warhead Junction.
Gall's Tips and Tricks
- Shadowflame is by far your highest source of damage. Use it whenever it is off-Cooldown, and take advantage of the fact that it deals its damage instantly.
- Dread Orb has an extremely long range; using it against nearby Structures whenever there are no better targets is an effective way of maximising its potential.
- Runic Blast requires you to be well-coordinated with your Cho partner; ask them to let you know whenver they use Rune Bomb, or pay close attention to Cho's "Bomb's out!" shout.
- Twisting Nether works particularly well with Cho's Upheaval; try and use them together. Use the Ability's Movement Speed reduction effect to keep enemies within attack range.
- Shadow Bolt Volley can be difficult to aim, especially if Cho is not prepared for it; let them know ahead of time!
- Shove is extremely useful for avoiding dangerous skillshots and area of effect Abilities.
- Be mindful when activating Ogre Rage in combat, as it leaves Cho 25% less resilient than he would otherwise be.
Gall's Role in the Current Meta
Gall is permanently attached to Cho's body, and as such, goes wherever Cho goes. Gall's Abilities have little to no utility to them, and are in stead capable of dealing large amounts of damage to multiple enemies. As such, Gall's primary goal is to lay waste to whatever comes within range and coordinate with the Cho player so as to maximise the effectiveness of their Abilities.
Given the nature of Cho'gall, communication is extremely important between the two players that are sharing the Hero, but also, with the remaining members of the team that must deal with the unusual situation of playing with only four total bodies.
Drafting-wise, Cho and Gall should almost always be picked last, for certain Heroes tend to counter them. It is also important to draft them along a Hero that is capable of performing the duties of a Tank, as Cho'gall is unsuitable to effectively perform such duties despite being labeled as a Tank by the game.
It is important to note that Cho'gall has the best late game in Heroes of the Storm, and in most games it will be important not to risk yourself during the start of the match, making sure you will reach the Level 13, 16, and 20 Powerspikes.
- 08 Oct. 2020 (this page): The Guide has been reviewed and is in accordance with the latest patch.
- 03 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talents updated to reflect current meta.
- 03 Oct. 2020 (abilities page): Ability section updated.
- 03 Oct. 2020 (this page): Guide updated to reflect current meta.
- 21 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Guide updated following the 2.51.1 balance update.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Fixed a paragraph that was referring to Ogre Rage instead of Ogre Hide.
- 18 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Probius' patch and moved to the new format.
More Ranged Assassin Guides
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players
- NetEase Responds to Blizzard Licensing Agreement Expiration
- Most Blizzard Game Services to Be Suspended in China on January 23rd
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Connection Lost Constantly
- Heroes of the Storm Wandering Keg
- Heroes of the Storm Garden of Terror
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar