Gall Build Guide “Those who oppose me invite their own demise!”
Table of Contents
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Talent Build
Welcome to our Gall guide for Heroes of the Storm. Here you will learn everything you need to know in order to play Gall in a competitive environment, whether you play on your own or with a team.
About the Author
Oxygen is a veteran of the MOBA genre, which he has been playing for nearly 15 years. He has coached some of Heroes of the Storm's most prominent North American players and teams alike, including Team Liquid. As a Master player, he enjoys playing all Heroes and roles.
1. Quick Reference
Shadowflame Build (talent calculator link)
The Shadowflame Build revolves around greatly improving the potency of Gall's Shadowflame. Key aspects of the build revolve around reducing the Cooldown of Shadowflame through the Double Trouble Talent, and then turning into a potent percent-based damage source. This build has particularly strong synergy with the Hero Level 7 Cho Talent Firestarter.
Synergies and Counters
Cho'gall's nature makes him thrive when teamed up with a strong healer, particularly those who possesses a form of crowd control of their own to make up for Cho'gall's own lack of non-Heroic crowd control. Otherwise, most Tanks do well with him, granted they also bring plenty of crowd control of their own.
Cho'gall's nature makes him particularly vulnerable to most forms of crowd control and percent-based damage sources. Fortunately, Cho'gall has plenty of Talent choices and maneuvers that allow him to adapt to a variety of less-than-ideal situations.
Since Cho'gall limits the number of Heroes your team can field, he tends to be weak on Maps that requires to effectively distribute Heroes across multiple points at once. On the other hand, his gank resilience makes him difficult to kill, even when caught while rotating, and his excellent long-ranged area of effect damage and zero Mana costs are excellent for taking out small Objectives that must be killed and poking opponents.
- Shadowflame is by far your highest source of damage. Use it whenever it is off-Cooldown, and take advantage of the fact that it deals its damage instantly.
- Dread Orb has an extremely long range; using it against nearby Structures whenever there are no better targets is an effective way of maximising its potential.
- Runic Blast requires you to be well-coordinated with your Cho partner; ask them to let you know whenver they use Rune Bomb, or pay close attention to Cho's "Bomb's out!" shout.
- Twisting Nether works particularly well with Cho's Upheaval; try and use them together. Use the Ability's movement speed reduction effect to keep enemies within attack range.
- Shadow Bolt Volley can be difficult to aim, especially if Cho is not prepared for it; let them know ahead of time!
- Shove is extremely useful for avoiding dangerous skillshots and area of effect Abilities.
- Be mindful when activating Ogre Rage in combat, as it leaves Cho 25% less resilient than he would otherwise be.
Gall is the Assassin half of the entity controled by two Players known as Cho'gall. The Player in charge of Gall has the burden of using the entity's most powerful Abilities, whereas the second Player, in control of Cho, acts as the "driver" that controls Cho's more simple Abilities, physical position, and Basic Attacks. Gall's strongest points are his high area of effect damage and outstanding resilience, due to being tied to Cho's extremely tough body. Should Cho be killed, Gall will die with him, instantly yielding two kills worth of experience to their opponents.
Given the highly unusual nature of Gall, we highly recommend that you use this guide along with our Cho guide found here so as to get a better understanding of the Hero.
- Humongous Health pool
- Abilities do not use Mana
- Outstanding duelist
- Great waveclear
- Permanently tied to Cho, a Warrior, making coordination easy
- Reliant on skillshots
- Easily countered during drafts
- Limited utility beyond raw damage
- Deaths are twice as punishing, as they mean losing two Heroes
- Only allows a team to have 4 Heroes, reducing overall map presence
- Very reliant on Heroic Abilities to significantly impact team fights
6. Role in the Current Meta
Gall is permanently attached to Cho's body, and as such, goes wherever Cho goes. Gall's Abilities have little to no utility to them, and are in stead capable of dealing large amounts of damage to multiple enemies. As such, Gall's primary goal is to lay waste to whatever comes within range and coordinate with the Cho player so as to maximise the effectiveness of their Abilities.
Given the nature of Cho'gall, communication is extremely important between the two Players that are sharing the Hero, but also, with the remaining members of the team that must deal with the unusual situation of playing with only four total bodies.
Drafting-wise, Cho and Gall should almost always be picked last, for certain Heroes tend to counter them. It is also important to draft them along a Hero that is capable of performing the duties of a tank, as Cho'gall is unsuitable to effectively perform such duties despite being labeled as a Warrior by the game.
7. Reading Further
To take things further, we have 2 more pages that you can read:
- Abilities and Strategy: an overview of your hero's abilities and how to use them;
- Talent Build: a detailed rundown of your talents and how to choose them.
8. ChangeLog+ show all entries - show only 10 entries
- 26 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Fixed a paragraph that was referring to Ogre Rage instead of Ogre Hide.
- 18 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Probius' patch and moved to the new format.
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Talent Build
- Weekly Collection Update: Oct 24
- Heroes Brawl - Ghost Protocol: Oct 19
- Viewer's Guide to HGC 2017 Finals
- Icy Veins Podcast: Episode #2
- Junkrat Live Patch Notes: Oct 17
- Junkrat Build Guide
- Local Currency Update Coming to Blizzard Battle.net in Canada, Japan & New Zealand
- 5 Loot Chests for Twitch Prime Members
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Heroes of the Storm Zul'jin
- Zul'Jin dps
- Heroes of the Storm Rexxar
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin
- Heroes of the Storm Nova
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Ranked advice