Garrosh Build Guide “This will prove useful.”
Welcome to our guide for Garrosh, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Garrosh is a melee Tank who becomes more difficult to kill the closer he is to death. For every 2% of Health Garrosh is missing, he is granted 1 Bonus Armor. This Armor, aside from providing Garrosh impressive amounts of damage mitigation, also interacts directly with specific Talents such as Body Check and Inner Rage. A shield icon displayed directly next to Garrosh's Health Bar allows players to easily track his current amount of Bonus Armor.
Arguably, one of Garrosh's strongest mechanics is his ability to displace both enemy and allied Heroes over relatively large distances via Wrecking Ball and Into the Fray. His kit also contains yet another method of crowd-control in the form of a Stun known as Groundbreaker. This ability will knock-up all enemies caught within a specific region of its area of effect into the air. Constant repositioning of players will immensely impact the outcome of a team fight, sometimes for better or for worse. This is why it is heavily encouraged that players wishing to master Garrosh to spend time practicing the way both Groundbreaker and Wrecking Ball work in try mode before attempting to take him to the Nexus in pursuit of Honor and glory on the battlefield.
Garrosh's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Rather poor damage output, especially during the late game
- Can be easily kited, particularly by ranged assassins
- Absolutely no method of increasing mobility; relies entirely on abilities and crowd-control to reach his desired target
- Very complex Hero, requires mastery of many subtle nuances to be most effective
Garrosh's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Garrosh's Synergies and Counters
Compensate his lack of mobility (for example with Speed Barrier by Zarya) and Garrosh will become even more scary to play against as he will be able to just walk towards enemy Heroes for catching them with Wrecking Ball.
Garrosh does not like to face Heroes who have access to long-lasting Unstoppable effects (such as Johanna) because he cannot throw them using Wrecking Ball. If they get thrown instead of an ally to peel for them, then they can use the same effect to walk out uncontested.
Considering that Garrosh relies on Armor to mitigate incoming damage, he is weak to Percent Damage (like Leoric) and effects that reduce Armor (for example Sylvanas with Overwhelming Affliction at Level 1).
Garrosh thrives in situations where his enemies are forced to clump together in groups. This is because most of his abilities, notably Groundbreaker and Warlord's Challenge, gain value when they are able to strike more than one target. Maps with many narrow chokepoints provide Garrosh a playground of opportunities to catch out his enemies. Wrecking Ball is a lot of fun on maps with lots of terrain as Garrosh can use it to completely isolate an enemy Hero away from their allies by flipping them over a wall or structure into his team.
Garrosh's Tips and Tricks
- Armor Up gives Garrosh an impressive amount of damage mitigation while at low Health, allowing him to stay in combat longer than most other Heroes.
- Groundbreaker can be used to knock an enemy Hero into the air before throwing them into his allies with Wrecking Ball.
- Bloodthirst's self-sustain is most effective after Garrosh has suffered damage as it heals for a percentage of his missing Health.
- Remember that Wrecking Ball is not a targeted Ability and will always throw the closest non-Unstoppable Hero (including Misha), Clone, Minion, or Mercenary within range. Summons and Monsters are invalid targets.
- Due to the small radius of Warlord's Challenge, it will sometimes be difficult to strike multiple Heroes with it. It will often times be worth using Warlord's Challenge on a single Hero should it help secure a kill and ensure a numbers advantage for Garrosh's team.
- To play around Abilities that give mobility or Unstoppable, you can use Wrecking Ball and immediately cast Warlord's Challenge before the target enemy Hero lands.
Garrosh's Role in the Current Meta
Garrosh is a great Hero choice for teams that are in need of a strong frontline and happen to lack a reliable source of crowd-control. He works best with Heroes who are able to follow up on his initiations, either with additional crowd-control or large amounts of burst damage. One of Garrosh's greatest strengths is the ability to focus his Talent choices around the specific needs of his team, whether they be peel, damage mitigation, or crowd-control in the form of stuns, slows, and repositioning.
Due to Garrosh's lack of threatening damage, many times an enemy team will try to ignore Garrosh and prioritize more valuable targets such as a Healer or ranged Assassin. Because of this, Garrosh will need to keep an eye on his backline while attempting to zone away potential threats. Similar to Stitches, Garrosh specializes in isolating an enemy Heroes from their team. Most often this will be done with a quick combo of the stun from Groundbreaker followed by Wrecking Ball, sending an enemy right into the jaws of his waiting allies. Keep in mind that a poorly executed Wrecking Ball or Into the Fray can have detrimental effects, so think ahead before sending players flying around the battlefield!
- 14 Apr. 2021 (abilities page): Tips and Tricks updated.
- 14 Apr. 2021 (this page): Tips and Tricks updated.
- 14 Mar. 2021 (this page): Synergies and Counters fixed.
- 27 Feb. 2021 (this page): Build Tags updated.
- 27 Feb. 2021 (talents page): Build Tags updated.
- 25 Feb. 2021 (talents page): New layout.
- 16 Feb. 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 16 Feb. 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 24 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 24 Oct. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 16 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Descriptions changed according to the latest Balance Update.
- 16 Jul. 2020 (this page): Builds and Descriptions changed according to the latest Balance Update.
- 11 Apr. 2020 (abilities page): Ability and Strategy partially revised to match new standards.
- 11 Apr. 2020 (this page): Introduction partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 11 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 12 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 10 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Revised the Garrosh guide and fixed minor issues. The guide is, overall, up-to-date.
- 25 May 2019 (talents page): Updated Garrosh's talents and builds due to a major overhaul of the guide.
- 24 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Talents page updated to reflect the Dec. 20 balance patch notes, particularly the Groundbreaker Ability changes.
- 24 Dec. 2017 (this page): Guide updated to reflect the Dec. 20 balance patch notes, particularly the Groundbreaker Ability changes.
- 24 Dec. 2017 (abilities page): Ability page updated to reflect the Dec. 20 balance patch notes, particularly the Groundbreaker Ability changes.
- 17 Oct. 2017 (talents page): The increased duration of Warlord's Challenge by the Level 20 Talent Death Wish has been removed.
- 17 Oct. 2017 (abilities page): The increased duration of Warlord's Challenge by the Level 20 Talent Death Wish has been removed.
- 01 Sep. 2017 (abilities page): Duration of Warlord's Challenge has been increased from 1.5 to 2 seconds.
- 01 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Full Descriptions have been added to Talent page.
- 08 Aug. 2017 (this page): Added Garrosh guide.
- New Leadership for Overwatch After Jeff Kaplan Leaves Blizzard
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 17-18
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: April 17-18
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 10-11
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 10-11
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 3-4
- Heroes of the Storm Tyrael
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Malfurion
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Valla
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer