Garrosh Build Guide “This will prove useful.”
Welcome to our guide for Garrosh, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Garrosh is a melee Tank who becomes more difficult to kill the closer he is to death. For every 2% of Health Garrosh is missing, he is granted 1 Bonus Armor. This Armor, aside from providing Garrosh impressive amounts of damage mitigation, also interacts directly with specific Talents such as Body Check and Inner Rage. A shield icon displayed directly next to Garrosh's Health Bar allows players to easily track his current amount of Bonus Armor.
Arguably, one of Garrosh's strongest mechanics is his ability to displace both enemy and allied Heroes over relatively large distances via Wrecking Ball and Into the Fray. His kit also contains yet another method of crowd-control in the form of a Stun known as Groundbreaker. This ability will knock-up all enemies caught within a specific region of its area of effect into the air. Constant repositioning of players will immensely impact the outcome of a team fight, sometimes for better or for worse. This is why it is heavily encouraged that players wishing to master Garrosh to spend time practicing the way both Groundbreaker and Wrecking Ball work in try mode before attempting to take him to the Nexus in pursuit of Honor and glory on the battlefield.
Garrosh's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Rather poor damage output, especially during the late game
- Can be easily kited, particularly by ranged assassins
- Absolutely no method of increasing mobility; relies entirely on abilities and crowd-control to reach his desired target
- Very complex Hero, requires mastery of many subtle nuances to be most effective
Garrosh's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Main Tank BuildTalent calculator »
The Main Tank Build focuses on Garrosh's need to provide his team with a strong frontline that can effectively soak enemy damage and lock-down Heroes with reliable crowd-control. Warbreaker allows Groundbreaker to become an even more powerful tool of crowd control while Indomitable will ease the difficulties that come with being kited around or held back from assisting vulnerable allies. Into the Fray can be used to create distance between an ally and an enemy pursuing them or to help secure kills from out-of-reach targets in the enemy backline. Warlord's Challenge, empowered by Death Wish at Level 20, will give Garrosh's team great lock-down which can be easily followed up by additional crowd-control or massive amounts of damage. Should Garrosh need to use Warlord's Challenge to secure a kill on an isolated target, the cooldown reduction provided by Death Wish will ensure the ability will be available for the next, potentially imminent fight.
Garrosh's Synergies and Counters
Garrosh works well with most Heroes, as they will likely be able to provide him with a much needed source of healing, shields, burst damage, waveclear, or follow-up crowd-control; ideally a mix of several of these things. Some notable mentions are Malfurion and Tyrande who can keep Garrosh nice and healthy while stunning or rooting an isolated target tossed into the team by Wrecking Ball with Entangling Roots or Lunar Flare.
Garrosh struggles against ranged Heroes who are able to easily kite him and dodge his Groundbreaker with some form of gap-closer such as Valla's Vault or Tychus' Run and Gun. Oftentimes if Groundbreaker is missed against one of these types of Heroes, Garrosh may consider backing off instead of chasing into them while taking massive amounts of Basic Attack damage. Furthermore, any form of percentage based True Damage becomes particularly lethal against Garrosh, as it completely disregards his Trait. Thus, Heroes like Tychus or Malthael become a severe threat.
Garrosh thrives in situations where his enemies are forced to clump together in groups. This is because most of his abilities, notably Groundbreaker and Warlord's Challenge, gain value when they are able to strike more than one target. Maps with many narrow chokepoints provide Garrosh a playground of opportunities to catch out his enemies. Wrecking Ball is a lot of fun on maps with lots of terrain as Garrosh can use it to completely isolate an enemy Hero away from their allies by flipping them over a wall or structure into his team.
Garrosh's Tips and Tricks
- Armor Up gives Garrosh an impressive amount of damage mitigation while at low Health, allowing him to stay in combat longer than most other Heroes.
- Groundbreaker can be used to knock an enemy Hero into the air before throwing them into his allies with Wrecking Ball.
- Bloodthirst's self-sustain is most effective after Garrosh has suffered damage as it heals for a percentage of his missing Health.
- Remember that Wrecking Ball is not a targeted ability and will always throw the enemy closest to Garrosh when cast (including Minions and Mercenaries).
- Due to the small radius of Warlord's Challenge, it will sometimes be difficult to strike multiple Heroes with the ability. It will often times be worth using Warlord's Challenge on a single Hero should it help secure a kill and ensure a numbers advantage for Garrosh's team.
Role in the Current Meta
Garrosh is a very strong choice in the current Anomaly. Due to his lethal early game lockdown potential that allows his team to secure kills, opponents have to think twice about getting close to him and collect Experience Globes.
Garrosh is a great Hero choice for teams that are in need of a strong frontline and happen to lack a reliable source of crowd-control. He works best with Heroes who are able to follow up on his initiations, either with additional crowd-control or large amounts of burst damage. One of Garrosh's greatest strengths is the ability to focus his Talent choices around the specific needs of his team, whether they be peel, damage mitigation, or crowd-control in the form of stuns, slows, and repositioning.
Due to Garrosh's lack of threatening damage, many times an enemy team will try to ignore Garrosh and prioritize more valuable targets such as a Healer or ranged Assassin. Because of this, Garrosh will need to keep an eye on his backline while attempting to zone away potential threats. Similar to Stitches, Garrosh specializes in isolating an enemy Heroes from their team. Most often this will be done with a quick combo of the stun from Groundbreaker followed by Wrecking Ball, sending an enemy right into the jaws of his waiting allies. Keep in mind that a poorly executed Wrecking Ball or Into the Fray can have detrimental effects, so think ahead before sending players flying around the battlefield!
- 12 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 10 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Revised the Garrosh guide and fixed minor issues. The guide is, overall, up-to-date.
- 25 May 2019 (talents page): Updated Garrosh's talents and builds due to a major overhaul of the guide.
- 24 Dec. 2017 (this page): Guide updated to reflect the Dec. 20 balance patch notes, particularly the Groundbreaker Ability changes.
- 24 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Talents page updated to reflect the Dec. 20 balance patch notes, particularly the Groundbreaker Ability changes.
- 24 Dec. 2017 (abilities page): Ability page updated to reflect the Dec. 20 balance patch notes, particularly the Groundbreaker Ability changes.
- 17 Oct. 2017 (abilities page): The increased duration of Warlord's Challenge by the Level 20 Talent Death Wish has been removed.
- 17 Oct. 2017 (talents page): The increased duration of Warlord's Challenge by the Level 20 Talent Death Wish has been removed.
- 01 Sep. 2017 (abilities page): Duration of Warlord's Challenge has been increased from 1.5 to 2 seconds.
- 01 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Full Descriptions have been added to Talent page.
- 08 Aug. 2017 (this page): Added Garrosh guide.
- Heroic Deals: February 18th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: February 18th
- Diablo Animated Series to Be Rendered in Anime Style
- Weekly Brawl - Silver City: February 13th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch: February 12th
- Heroic Deals: February 11th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: February 11th
- Weekly Brawl - Braxis Outpost: February 7th
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Diablo
- burst thrall
- Heroes of the Storm Imperius
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- My vision Yrel for qm and non-high legaue.
- Heroes of the Storm Li-Ming