Blaze Build Guide “Need a light?”
Welcome to our guide for Blaze, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Blaze's Overview
Blaze is a heavy Tank notorious for his potent counter-initiations. Although lacking in single-target damage, he is otherwise well-rounded with serviceable area of effect damage output and high survivability, thanks to his large Health pool and dependable self-sustain. His many skillshot-like Abilities can make him ineffective offensively against mobile Heroes, however.
2. Blaze's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Blaze's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Balanced BuildTalent calculator »
The Balanced Build's goal is to make up for Blaze's particularly low single-target damage output. Key Talents include Neural Stimpack, which greatly reduces Blaze's Cooldowns on-demand, Oil Dispersal, which provides both more survivability and crowd control, and Crossfire, which makes Flame Stream more threatening. The Build remains very flexible otherwise.
4. Blaze's Synergies and Counters
Blaze's well-rounded Ability set allows him to work in most team compositions and with most other Heroes, granted he is also picked for his anti-melee role. Oil Spill's Slowing effect is particularly useful for improving the uptime of Assassins, whereas most Heroes with skillshots will find Jet Propulsion a great way of setting up for accurate hits.
5. Blaze's Maps
Having a well-rounded Ability set with plenty of waveclear, Blaze works well on most Maps. However, his lingering area of effect damage-over-time makes him particularly strong for Maps that feature static Map Objectives that must be defended, as they tend to funnel opponents into tight spaces that are easily controlled. Make sure another player can deal with Mercenary Camps.
6. Blaze's Tips and Tricks
- Flame Stream actually fires two parallel projectiles; hit with both to double the Ability's damage.
- An Ignited Oil Spill will Ignite any other Oil Spills that overlap with it.
- Jet Propulsion does not collide with Minions, allowing you to charge through to hit enemy Heroes or escape without being blocked.
- You do not have to stay inside Bunker Drop; press the R key to leave it.
- Combustion prevents you from casting other Abilities while it is being channeled.
- The Cooldown of Pyromania is reduced for each Hero hit by Flame Stream; double hits count as well.
7. Role in the Current Meta
His area control otherwise makes him particularly useful on Maps that feature static Objectives that force opponents to fight within a specific area or in enclosed spaces, such as Cursed Hollow, Dragon Shire, Infernal Shrines, Sky Temple, and Towers of Doom. His generous self-sustain and waveclear also make him an excellent solo laner to ultimately make him a viable choice on most, if not all, Maps.
- 04 Jul. 2019 (this page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 03 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 23 May 2019 (talents page): Updated talent discussions and recommendations following patch v2.45.1 changes.
- 03 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Updated talent discussions and recommendations following patch v2.40.1 changes.
- 13 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Recommended build updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 09 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Recommended talents updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 28 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated for patch 2.29.9.
- 09 Jan. 2018 (this page): Guide created.
- Qhira Meta Tier List (September 2019)
- Heroic Deals: September 3rd
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: September 3rd
- Heroic Deals: August 27th
- Weekly Brawl - Silver City: August 30th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: August 27th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update: August 28th
- Activision Blizzard Stock Jumps after Classic Launch
- Heroes of the Storm Rehgar
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters
- Heroes with Self-Healing
- Icy Veins BattleTag exchange
- Heroes of the Storm Qhira
- Heroes of the Storm Zarya
- Heroes of the Storm Probius