Blaze Build Guide “Need a light?”
Welcome to our guide for Blaze, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Blaze is a heavy Tank notorious for his potent counter-initiations. Although lacking in single-target damage, he is otherwise well-rounded with serviceable area of effect damage output and high survivability, thanks to his large Health pool and dependable self-sustain. His many skillshot-like Abilities can make him ineffective offensively against mobile Heroes, however.
Blaze's Strengths and Weaknesses
Blaze's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Balanced BuildTalent calculator »
The Balanced Build's goal is to make up for Blaze's particularly low single-target damage output. Key Talents include Neural Stimpack, which greatly reduces Blaze's Cooldowns on-demand, Oil Dispersal, which provides both more survivability and crowd control, and Crossfire, which makes Flame Stream more threatening. The Build remains very flexible otherwise.
Blaze's Synergies and Counters
Blaze's well-rounded Ability set allows him to work in most team compositions and with most other Heroes, granted he is also picked for his anti-melee role. Oil Spill's Slowing effect is particularly useful for improving the uptime of Assassins, whereas most Heroes with skillshots will find Jet Propulsion a great way of setting up for accurate hits.
Having a well-rounded Ability set with plenty of waveclear, Blaze works well on most Maps. However, his lingering area of effect damage-over-time makes him particularly strong for Maps that feature static Map Objectives that must be defended, as they tend to funnel opponents into tight spaces that are easily controlled. Make sure another player can deal with Mercenary Camps.
Blaze's Tips and Tricks
- Flame Stream actually fires two parallel projectiles; hit with both to double the Ability's damage.
- An Ignited Oil Spill will Ignite any other Oil Spills that overlap with it.
- Jet Propulsion does not collide with Minions, allowing you to charge through to hit enemy Heroes or escape without being blocked.
- You do not have to stay inside Bunker Drop; press the R key to leave it.
- Combustion prevents you from casting other Abilities while it is being channeled.
- The Cooldown of Pyromania is reduced for each Hero hit by Flame Stream; double hits count as well.
Role in the Current Meta
Note about the current Anomaly: Blaze is an excellent choice for this Anomaly, with plenty of mobility and self-sustain to reliably gather Experience Globes and even hold two close Lanes at once. Jet Propulsion is particularly useful to safely disengage after gathering Globes your opponents are protecting.
His area control otherwise makes him particularly useful on Maps that feature static Objectives that force opponents to fight within a specific area or in enclosed spaces, such as Cursed Hollow, Dragon Shire, Infernal Shrines, Sky Temple, and Towers of Doom. His generous self-sustain and waveclear also make him an excellent solo laner to ultimately make him a viable choice on most, if not all, Maps.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 04 Jul. 2019 (this page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 03 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 23 May 2019 (talents page): Updated Talent discussions and recommendations following patch v2.45.1 changes.
- 03 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talent discussions and recommendations following patch v2.40.1 changes.
- 13 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Recommended build updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 09 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Recommended Talents updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 28 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated for patch 2.29.9.
- 09 Jan. 2018 (this page): Guide created.
- Blizzard Sending Out Classic Burning Crusade Character Creation Surveys
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: March 27th
- Diablo Community Manager Nevalistis Leaves Blizzard
- Lady Vashj Hype is Over For Now
- Heroic Deals: March 24th
- Blizzard Provides Staff with Care Packages During Lockdown
- 2020 Ranked Season 1 Extended By Two Weeks
- All Heroes Free to Play Until April 2nd
- Heroes of the Storm Kharazim
- Heroes of the Storm Kerrigan
- Heroes of the Storm Kael'thas
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Illidan
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Diablo
- burst thrall