Blaze Build Guide “Need a light?”
Welcome to our guide for Blaze, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Blaze is a heavy Tank notorious for his potent counter-initiations. Although lacking in single-target damage, he is otherwise well-rounded with serviceable area of effect damage output and high survivability, thanks to his large Health pool and dependable self-sustain. His many skillshot-like Abilities can make him ineffective offensively against mobile Heroes, however.
Blaze's Strengths and Weaknesses
Blaze's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Oil Spill BuildRecommended
In particular, Oil Dispersal at Level 4 makes it easier to use Oil Spill as a setup for Jet Propulsion. New Habits at Level 1 helps you counter enemy crowd control, but you can replace it with Neural Stimpack when not needed.
Basic Attacks BuildSituational
Blaze's Basic Attacks Build primarily empowers your waveclear while also increasing your survivability, utility, and damage. As a consequence, we recommend this Build when playing Blaze as Solo Laner.
In particular, Incinerator Gauntlets at Level 4 makes it easier to clear Minions and Mercenaries while laning and Adrenaline Stimpack at Level 1 further empowers it against Mercenaries while also increasing your damage output against enemy Heroes.
Blaze's Synergies and Counters
Blaze's well-rounded Ability set allows him to work in most team compositions and with most other Heroes, granted he is also picked for his anti-melee role. Oil Spill's Slowing effect is particularly useful for improving the uptime of Assassins, whereas most Heroes with skillshots will find Jet Propulsion a great way of setting up for accurate hits.
Having a well-rounded Ability set with plenty of waveclear, Blaze works well on most Maps. However, his lingering area of effect damage-over-time makes him particularly strong for Maps that feature static Map Objectives that must be defended, as they tend to funnel opponents into tight spaces that are easily controlled. Make sure another player can deal with Mercenary Camps.
Blaze's Tips and Tricks
- Flame Stream actually fires two parallel projectiles; hit with both to double the Ability's damage.
- An Ignited Oil Spill will Ignite any other Oil Spills that overlap with it.
- Jet Propulsion does not collide with Minions, allowing you to charge through to hit enemy Heroes or escape without being blocked.
- You do not have to stay inside Bunker Drop; press the R key to leave it.
- Combustion prevents you from casting other Abilities while it is being channeled.
- The cooldown of Pyromania is reduced for each Hero hit by Flame Stream; double hits count as well.
Role in the Current Meta
His area control otherwise makes him particularly useful on Maps that feature static Objectives that force opponents to fight within a specific area or in enclosed spaces, such as Cursed Hollow, Dragon Shire, Infernal Shrines, Sky Temple, and Towers of Doom. His generous self-sustain and waveclear also make him an excellent solo laner to ultimately make him a viable choice on most, if not all, Maps.
- 18 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 18 Oct. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 24 Sep. 2020 (abilities page): Minor fixes.
- 24 Sep. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 24 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 20 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Talents and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 04 Jul. 2019 (this page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 03 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 23 May 2019 (talents page): Updated Talent discussions and recommendations following patch v2.45.1 changes.
- 03 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talent discussions and recommendations following patch v2.40.1 changes.
- 13 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Recommended build updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 09 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Recommended Talents updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 28 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated for patch 2.29.9.
- 09 Jan. 2018 (this page): Guide created.
- The New Battle.net Is Almost Here, Going Live in NA
- Merry Christmas from the Icy Veins Team!
- Blizzard Sending Out New Surveys About "Classic" Version of The Burning Crusade
- How to Become a Better Stukov Player
- Activision Blizzard's Stock Reached All-Time Highs
- Cyberpunk 2077 Wiki from IcyWiki
- Heroes of the Storm Live Patch Notes: December 1st
- Storm League Changes in the Hogger Patch
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Cassia
- Heroes of the Storm Qhira
- Heroes of the Storm Hogger
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List