Blaze Build Guide “Need a light?”
Welcome to our guide for Blaze, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Blaze's Overview
Blaze is a well-rounded Warrior. His strongest points are his excellent sustained area of effect damage output and generally high survivability, thanks to his large Health pool and dependable self-sustain. His skillshot-like Abilities and predictable playstyle make him rather ineffective against highly mobile Heroes, however.
2. Blaze's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Blaze's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Ignite BuildTalent calculator »
The Ignite Build's goal is to improve the eponymous Ignite aspect of Oil Spill to maximise Blaze's area of effect damage, disruptiveness, and self-sustain. Key Talents include Neural Stimpack, which greatly reduces Blaze's Cooldowns on demand, Adhesive Petroleum, which keeps enemies within Ignited Oil Spill's area of effect for more time, and Grill and Kill, which significantly improves Ignited Oil Spill's duration.
4. Blaze's Synergies and Counters
Blaze's well-rounded Ability set allows him to work in most team compositions and with most other Heroes. Oil Spill's Slowing effect is particularly useful for improving the uptime of Assassins, whereas most Heroes with skillshots will find Jet Propulsion a great way of setting up for accurate hits.
5. Blaze's Maps
Having a well-rounded Ability set with plenty of waveclear, Blaze works well on most Maps. However, his lingering area of effect damage-over-time makes him particularly strong for Maps that feature static Map Objectives that must be defended, as they tend to funnel opponents into tight spaces that are easily controlled.
6. Blaze's Tips and Tricks
- Flame Stream actually fires two parallel projectiles; hit with both to double the Ability's damage.
- An Ignited Oil Spill will ignite any other Oil Spill that overlaps with it.
- Jet Propulsion does not collide with Minions, allowing you to charge through to hit enemy Heroes.
- You do not have to stay inside Bunker Drop; press the R key to leave it.
- Combustion prevents you from casting other Abilities while it is being channeled.
- The Cooldown of Pyromania is reduced for each Hero hit by Flame Stream; double hits count as well.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Blaze is a versatile Warrior that excels at dealing area of effect damage and being generally disruptive with access to multiple forms of crowd control and debuffs. This makes him particularly powerful on Maps that feature static Objectives that force opponents to fight within a specific area or in enclosed spaces, such as Cursed Hollow, Dragon Shire, Infernal Shrines, Sky Temple, and Towers of Doom. His generous self-sustain and waveclear also make him an excellent solo laner to ultimately make him a viable choice on most, if not all Maps.
Blaze's versatility makes him a good fit in most team compositions as well; Combustion allows him to deal a significant amount of area of effect damage given the proper setup, such as Zeratul's Void Prison, whereas Bunker Drop can help protect fragile Heroes from burst compositions. Blaze's high sustained damage output may find him best suited for double healer compositions, although the additional crowd-control provided by another tank is also useful to improve his damage output and disruptiveness.
- 23 May 2019 (talents page): Updated talent discussions and recommendations following patch v2.45.1 changes.
- 03 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Updated talent discussions and recommendations following patch v2.40.1 changes.
- 13 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Recommended build updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 09 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Recommended talents updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 28 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated for patch 2.29.9.
- 09 Jan. 2018 (this page): Guide created.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: June 25th
- 2019 Season 3 Changes and Updates
- Top French Publication Says Diablo 4 Has Been Shown to Blizzard Employees
- Heroes of the Storm Reddit AMA Recap: June 20th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: June 21st
- Heroic Deals: June 18th
- Heroes of the Storm Patch Notes: June 18th
- Heroes of the Storm Reddit AMA: June 20th
- Heroes of the Storm Cassia
- Heroes of the Storm Anub'arak
- Heroes of the Storm Chen
- Heroes of the Storm Lt. Morales
- Heroes of the Storm Sonya
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat