Mal'Ganis Build Guide “I am eternal!”
Welcome to our guide for Mal'Ganis, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Mal'Ganis is a melee Tank who relies on heavy amounts of self-sustain to stay alive when deep within the enemy backline. This sustain is provided by his Trait ability, Vampiric Touch, which causes Mal'Ganis to be healed for a percentage of all damage he deals to both enemy Heroes and non-Heroes. Although Mal'Ganis can only deal damage to enemies in close proximity to him, his kit is full of reliable gap-closers that allow him to easily stick to his desired target(s). Mal'Ganis is very suceptible to crowd control, as any form of movement impairment will make it difficult to deal damage and benefit from the self-healing of Vampiric Touch. Although Mal'Ganis is easy to pick up and play for those newer to the character, his rapid-fire kit leaves plenty of room for showcasing high-level mechanical skill.
Mal'Ganis' Strengths and Weaknesses
- Reliable, sustained damage output
- Strong utility in the form of self healing, crowd-control, and gap-closers
- Viable solo-laner and great duelist
- Decent waveclear for a Tank
- Easy to pick up for newer players
Mal'Ganis' Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard Tank BuildTalent calculator »
Mal'Ganis' Standard Tank Build is designed to give him a healthy amount of survivability and crowd control. Right out of the gate, Mal'Ganis will see an increase in sustain with Time to Feed at Level 1, giving him strong health regain when hitting different Heroic targets with Fel Claws. Alternatively, especially against Basic Attack dependent team compositions, Winged Guard can be a great pick-up due to the Physical Armor it provides. At Level 10, Carrion Swarm is the more viable option, as it gives Mal'Ganis huge freedom of how to use it while usually netting more health gain and damage than Dark Conversion. Level 13 marks the crowd control tier for Mal'Ganis, as both Deep Sleep and The Night Beckons severely cripple the enemy team's mobility. At Level 16, we usually prefer Plague Bats thanks to its reliability and burst damage it provides. However, if you find yourself in a premade group with good communication and/or on a map with lots of tight corridors and choke points, such as Cursed Hollow or Towers of Doom, Blind as a Bat can be a situational yet rewarding pick. At Level 20, Seeker Swarm is the natural choice, since it adds some fantastic crowd control to an already great Heroic Ability. Alternatively, Alone in the Dark can cripple the enemies' combat performance drastically, reducing their vision quite noticeably.
Mal'Ganis' Synergies and Counters
Mal'Ganis performs best with a secondary frontline Bruiser that can dive alongside him into the enemy team providing hard crowd-control. Mal'Ganis should be able to deal good amounts of multi-targeted damage to all caught within the crowd-control. Having an ally that can also help prevent Mal'Ganis from being immediately focused down is invaluable.
Mal'Ganis is highly susceptible to enemy Heroes that can easily interrupt his abilities that require channeling (such as Night Rush, Carrion Swarm, and Dark Conversion), and lock him down with long durations of hard crowd-control. Since Mal'Ganis relies heavily on self-healing to survive, enemy Heroes that have healing reduction abilities (such as Ana's Biotic Grenade) also severely inhibit his effectiveness in battle. Furthermore, nimble Assassins like Zeratul or Tracer can usually kite Mal'Ganis quite easily, rendering the Hero quite unimpactful.
Mal'Ganis excels both on maps that have narrow passageways and corridors (allowing him to get amazing AoE value from his abilities) as well as maps that force the enemy team to split focus between objectives, such as Sky Temple and Towers of doom. When playing on a Battleground that requires the team to split up, Mal'Ganis should confidently be able to hold his own in duels. On smaller maps, Mal'Ganis should roam with his team looking for opportunities to catch a group of enemies off guard with the Sleep effect of Night Rush.
Mal'Ganis' Tips and Tricks
- Charges of a single Fel Claws cast can be spaced out to maximize mobility and counter-play opportunities.
- Use the Bonus Armor of Necrotic Embrace to mitigate incoming damage upon engaging in a teamfight or skirmish.
- Night Rush can be used offensively to track down and set up kills or defensively to peel away aggressive enemy Heroes from Mal'Ganis or a vulnerable ally.
- A well-timed Carrion Swarm can prevent Mal'Ganis from being taken down by otherwise lethal enemy focus-fire.
- Dark Conversion can be used at low Health to immediately cripple seemingly impenetrable enemy frontline.
Mal'Ganis' Role in the Current Meta
Mal'Ganis can be a solid choice whenever his allies are in need of a damage dealing "off-tank" but also holds his own as a traditional Main Tank. He excels when paired with a team that can follow up on his engagements with burst damage, and protect him from being burned down by the enemy focus-fire upon initiation. During teamfights, he is able to dive the enemy back-line, wreaking havoc on vulnerable enemy Heroes while providing distraction for allied Assassins to do their work.
- 19 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Updated Mal'Ganis' talents and builds to better reflect the current state of the game.
- 19 Jun. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Mal'Ganis' abilities page to better reflect the current state of the game.
- 16 Oct. 2018 (this page): Guide added.
- Weekly Brawl - Braxis Outpost: September 20th
- Heroic Deals: September 17th
- Junkrat & Whitemane Hero Reworks Preview
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: September 17th
- New Sound Files Suggest Lady Vashj Is Next
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: September 16th
- The Scarlet Heist Trailer
- The Scarlet Heist Event Coming Soon to the Nexus
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Varian
- Heroes of the Storm Rehgar
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters
- Heroes with Self-Healing
- Icy Veins BattleTag exchange
- Heroes of the Storm Qhira