Mal'Ganis Build Guide “I am eternal!”
Welcome to our guide for Mal'Ganis, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Mal'Ganis is a Tank who relies on a really good amount of self-sustain to stay alive when deep within the enemy backline. This sustain is provided by Vampiric Touch which causes him to be healed for a portion of all damage he deals, and his Heroic Abilities that can give him a good chunk of his Health back. Due to his mediocre amount of mobility, he is very susceptible to being kited (by Hanzo for example). Since his engage does not have a lot of range, it is advised to rely a lot on flanking when playing him, however, some Heroes can play around that strategy by giving vision (say Chromie with her Time Trap) and some Tank players can predict this strategy and position on key points to nullify it. Although he is easy to pick up and play for those who are new to the Hero, his kit leaves enough room for showcasing high level mechanical skill and good decision making. Be careful while playing him because most of his Abilities can be interrupted by crowd control effects (say Raynor using his Knockback to mess up Night Rush), something that can easily become frustrating, especially if you do not pay enough attention to it and/or not adapt your playstyle accordingly.
Mal'Ganis's Strengths and Weaknesses
Mal'Ganis's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Necrotic Embrace BuildRecommended
Mal'Ganis's Necrotic Embrace Build is designed to get as much value as possible from the Hero by increasing his survivability. Talents that increase his damage contribute to this plan as well because Vampiric Touch heals Mal'Ganis based on damage dealt.
Mal'Ganis's Synergies and Counters
Mal'Ganis is susceptible to enemy Heroes that can Knockback him away during Night Rush (such as Raynor with Penetrating Round) or lock him down with crowd control to deny him any chance to use his Heroic Ability (like Garrosh with Warlord's Challenge) while he is getting focused down to death. Heroes with a lot of mobility (such as Zeratul) are hard to hit for Mal'Ganis, so he will not be able to provide any peeling from them. Heroes with a lot of range (such as Hanzo) can easily kite Mal'Ganis, rendering him quite unimpactful. Another weakness he has is the fact that Heroes with Roots (such as Deckard Cain) can stop Mal'Ganis in place during Night Rush.
Mal'Ganis is good on Maps that have narrow passages and corridors, allowing him to get amazing area of effect value from most of his Abilities, and/or where the Objective does not spawn too often because he really needs his Heroic Ability in order to be a complete Hero, but he is bad on Maps that do not have good places where to flank from.
Mal'Ganis's Tips and Tricks
- Since his engage tools have a limited range, it is better to flank enemy Heroes.
- Using Night Rush immediately after the third activation of Fel Claws will make it hard for the focused enemy Hero to react between the Stun and the Sleep.
- It is advised to crowd control nearby enemy Heroes before using your Heroic Ability, so that they cannot interrupt it.
- Sometimes it is useful not to use Fel Claws three times in quick succession to keep its Stun ready, to use the next activation for mobility, or to maximize your damage output by using Basic Attacks in between.
Mal'Ganis's Role in the Current Meta
Even if he has a decent kit to be occasionally played as Solo Laner—but only on a few Maps where it is not crucial to win the solo lane—and he has been played as such for a few days after his release, Mal'Ganis is currently being played as Tank only. He excels when paired with Heroes that can easily follow up on his engage with burst damage and/or additional crowd control. During team fights, he is able to survive in the enemy backline for a while, wreaking havoc in the enemy formation while providing distraction for his allies to do their work.
- 03 Mar. 2021 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 03 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 03 Mar. 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 25 Feb. 2021 (talents page): New layout.
- 05 Nov. 2020 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 05 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Guide updated for the latest Balance Update.
- 05 Nov. 2020 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 16 Jul. 2020 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 16 Jul. 2020 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 16 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 25 Jun. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Descriptions changed according to the latest Patch.
- 25 Jun. 2020 (this page): Builds and Descriptions changed according to the latest Patch.
- 25 Jun. 2020 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 22 Mar. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build fully revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 22 Mar. 2020 (this page): Introduction fully revised to match new standards.
- Overview rewritten to better describe the Hero.
- Strengths and Weaknesses modified to give a better idea about the Hero when being played right.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Synergies and Counters modified to mention notable Heroes that were missing and to remove misleading Heroes that were listed.
- Maps modified to focus on the main aspects of the Hero when evaluating a Map.
- Tips and Tricks modified to list important tips that were missing before and to delete more obvious ones.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to reflect the current metagame and to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 22 Mar. 2020 (abilities page): Ability and Strategy fully revised to match new standards.
- Tips and Tricks modified to add important tips that were missing and to remove obvious ones that were not worth mentioning.
- Ability Descriptions modified to better explain how to use Abilities effectively.
- 14 Feb. 2020 (talents page): Guide revised in accordance to the latest Balance Update and found no changes were needed.
- 03 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added the current Anomaly (Experience Globes) to the guide.
- 03 Dec. 2019 (talents page): Builds updated and changed Blood Rush to Recommended.
- 19 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Talents and Builds updated to better reflect the current state of the game.
- 19 Jun. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Mal'Ganis's Abilities page to better reflect the current state of the game.
- 16 Oct. 2018 (this page): Guide added.
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: April 17-18
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 10-11
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 10-11
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 3-4
- The "Grandfather" of Classic Omar Gonzalez Left Blizzard for Dreamhaven
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 3-4
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Malfurion
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Valla
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Deckard
- Heroes of the Storm Probius