Anub'arak Build Guide “Time is fleeting.”
Table of Contents
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Talent Build
Welcome to our Anub'arak guide for Heroes of the Storm. Here you will learn everything you need to know in order to play Anub'arak in a competitive environment, whether you play on your own or with a team.
About the Author
Oxygen is a veteran of the MOBA genre, which he has been playing for nearly 15 years. He has coached some of Heroes of the Storm's most prominent North American players and teams alike, including Team Liquid. As a Master player, he enjoys playing all Heroes and roles.
1. Quick Reference
Balanced Build (talent calculator link)
This Balanced Build seeks to provide Anub'arak with a healthy mix of offense, defense, and crowd control. Key defensive aspects of the build lie in Nerubian Armor, and the synergistic interaction between Subterranean Shield and Epicenter to readily generate powerful Shields. Offensively, the build exploits the movement speed reduction and stunning effects provided by Impale, Bed of Barbs, and Burrow Charge to reliably trigger Acid Drenched Mandibles. For crowd control purposes, most of the aforementioned Talents come into play, with Epicenter making team-wide hits with Burrow Charge particularly debilitating. At Hero Level 20, Rewind more or less allows you to double any of the above tricks for one of the game's most powerful power spike.
Synergies and Counters
Having a well-rounded Ability set, Anub'arak works well on most Maps. His sub-par PvE damage dealing capacity, however, makes him a poor choice on any Map featuring Objectives that need to be taken out quickly.
- Exploit Scarab Host Beetles to soak damage from Structures and Mercenaries, and to intercept skillshots.
- Use Burrow Charge to close up on a target, then follow up with Impale for much crowd control.
- Harden Carapace should be used on-Cooldown during fights due to its low Mana cost, and ability to summon Beetles.
- Use Locust Swarm with caution; it heals for a large amount, but does not make you invincible, especially versus burst damage.
- Hold onto your Cocoon's Cooldown to interrupt and deny strong enemy Heroic Abilities.
Anub'arak is an aggressive anti-caster Warrior. His strongest points are his long-range disruption and high resistance to Ability-based damage. Although considered an archetypal tank, his Health pool is significantly lower than that of other tanks; Anub'arak must therefore rely on his summons and Abilities to survive in battle.
- Excellent initiator
- Flexible Talent choices to adapt to opponents' strategy
- Several long-range crowd control and interruption Abilities
- Relatively fragile
- Limited damage dealing potential
- Main Abilities are skillshots that can be avoided
5. Role in the Current Meta
Anub'arak is a unique tank that sacrifices raw durability for Spell Armor and long-range crowd-control-based utility than other tanks. As such, Anub'arak players are expected to aggressively provide crowd-control (through Impale and Burrow Charge) for their teammates to follow up on with their own Abilities, and then pressure fragile backline Heroes. Finding the right time to initiate, peel, and pressure isolated Heroes while avoiding dangerous situations are the skills that one should develop in order to become a strong Anub'arak player.
6. Reading Further
To take things further, we have 2 more pages that you can read:
- Abilities and Strategy: an overview of your hero's abilities and how to use them;
- Talent Build: a detailed rundown of your talents and how to choose them.
7. ChangeLog+ show all entries - show only 10 entries
- 15 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Probius' patch and moved to the new format.
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Talent Build
- Weekly Collection Update: Oct 24
- Heroes Brawl - Ghost Protocol: Oct 19
- Viewer's Guide to HGC 2017 Finals
- Icy Veins Podcast: Episode #2
- Junkrat Live Patch Notes: Oct 17
- Junkrat Build Guide
- Local Currency Update Coming to Blizzard Battle.net in Canada, Japan & New Zealand
- 5 Loot Chests for Twitch Prime Members
- Zul'Jin dps
- Ranked advice
- Heroes of the Storm Valeera
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Heroes of the Storm Zul'jin
- Heroes of the Storm Rexxar
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin
- Heroes of the Storm Nova