Anub'arak Build Guide “Time is fleeting.”
Welcome to our guide for Anub'arak, a Melee Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Anub'arak's Overview
Anub'arak is an aggressive anti-caster Warrior. His strongest points are his long-range disruption and high resistance to Ability-based damage. Although considered an archetypal tank, his Health pool is significantly lower than that of other tanks; Anub'arak must therefore rely on his summons and Abilities to survive in battle.
2. Anub'arak's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Relatively fragile
- Limited damage dealing potential
- Main Abilities are skillshots that can be avoided
3. Anub'arak's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Balanced BuildTalent calculator »
This Balanced Build seeks to provide Anub'arak with a healthy mix of offense, defense, and crowd control. Key defensive aspects of the build lie in Nerubian Armor, and the synergistic interaction between Subterranean Shield and Epicenter to readily generate powerful Shields. Offensively, the build exploits the movement speed reduction and stunning effects provided by Impale, Bed of Barbs, and Burrow Charge to reliably trigger Acid Drenched Mandibles. For crowd control purposes, most of the aforementioned Talents come into play, with Epicenter making team-wide hits with Burrow Charge particularly debilitating. At Hero Level 20, Rewind more or less allows you to double any of the above tricks for one of the game's most powerful power spike.
4. Anub'arak's Synergies and Counters
5. Anub'arak's Maps
Having a well-rounded Ability set, Anub'arak works well on most Maps. His sub-par PvE damage dealing capacity, however, makes him a poor choice on any Map featuring Objectives that need to be taken out quickly.
6. Anub'arak's Tips and Tricks
- Exploit Scarab Host Beetles to soak damage from Structures and Mercenaries, and to intercept skillshots.
- Use Burrow Charge to close up on a target, then follow up with Impale for much crowd control.
- Harden Carapace should be used on-Cooldown during fights due to its low Mana cost, and ability to summon Beetles.
- Use Locust Swarm with caution; it heals for a large amount, but does not make you invincible, especially versus burst damage.
- Hold onto your Cocoon's Cooldown to interrupt and deny strong enemy Heroic Abilities.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Anub'arak is a unique tank that sacrifices raw durability for Spell Armor and more long-range crowd-control-based utility than other tanks. As such, Anub'arak players are expected to aggressively provide crowd-control (through Impale and Burrow Charge) for their teammates to follow up on with their own Abilities, and then pressure fragile backline Heroes. Finding the right time to initiate, peel, and pressure isolated Heroes while avoiding dangerous situations are the skills that one should develop in order to become a strong Anub'arak player.
- 30 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Updated for the latest Balance update.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Balance build.
- 15 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Probius' patch and moved to the new format.
- Heroes of the Storm Sylvanas
- Heroes of the Storm Stitches
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Laptop charger disconnecting when playing HOTS
- Heroes of the Storm Alexstrasza
- Heroes of the Storm Artanis