Anub'arak Build Guide “Time is fleeting.”
Welcome to our guide for Anub'arak, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Anub'arak is an aggressive anti-caster Tank. His strongest points are his long-range disruption and powerful on-demand resistance to Ability-based damage. Although considered an archetypal tank, Anub'arak's Health pool is considerably lower than that of other tanks. He relies on opportunism and teamwork to survive, exemplifying the adage "the best defence is a good offence."
Anub'arak's Strengths and Weaknesses
Anub'arak's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Balanced BuildTalent calculator »
This Balanced Build seeks to provide Anub'arak with a healthy mix of offense, defense, and crowd control. Key defensive aspects of the build lie in the synergistic interaction between Subterranean Shield and Epicenter to readily generate powerful Shields. Offensively, the build exploits the movement speed reduction and stunning effects provided by Impale, Bed of Barbs or Underking, and Burrow Charge to reliably trigger Acid Drenched Mandibles. For crowd control purposes, most of the aforementioned Talents come into play, with Epicenter making team-wide hits with Burrow Charge particularly debilitating. At Hero Level 20, Rewind more or less allows you to double any of the above tricks for one of the game's most powerful power spikes.
Anub'arak's Synergies and Counters
Anub'arak's aggressive gameplan works well on most Maps, provided teammates follow through. His sub-par PvE damage output means that someone else will have to help with the many Map Objectives that require killing.
Anub'arak's Tips and Tricks
- Exploit Scarab Host Beetles to soak damage from Structures and Mercenaries, and to intercept skillshots.
- Use Burrow Charge to close up on a target, then follow up with Impale for much crowd control.
- Harden Carapace should be used on-Cooldown during fights due to its low Mana cost and ability to summon Beetles.
- Use Locust Swarm with caution; it heals for a large amount, but does not make you invincible, especially versus burst damage.
- Hold onto your Cocoon's Cooldown to interrupt and deny strong enemy Heroic Abilities.
Role in the Current Meta
Note about the current Anomaly: Anub'arak is a fine choice for this Anomaly, with plenty of mobility to safely collect Experience Globes and on-demand crowd-control to punish opponents trying to claim their own Globes. Anub'arak players should see to stay with their teammates, however, as Anub'arak alone has little killing power.
Anub'arak is a unique tank that sacrifices raw durability for powerful on-demand initiations. In general, Anub'arak players are expected to look for opportunities to lock down isolated targets (through Impale and Burrow Charge) to allow their teammates to follow up.
In the early stages of the game, Anub'arak is well-suited for roaming and protecting teammates in lanes. Burrow Charge lets him effectively scout with very little danger. This task is just as important as initiating throughout the entire game. As Heroic Abilities become available, Cocoon is the expected choice to catch and aggressively collapse on rotating opponents on top of being generally useful.
- 27 Jan. 2020 (talents page): Guide reviewed following January 22 balance patch. No changes to talent recommendations.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 26 Jun. 2019 (this page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 26 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Guide reviewed and updated.
- 05 Feb. 2019 (talents page): Talents and recommendations updated following Legion of Beetles rework.
- 20 Jan. 2019 (talents page): Build recommendations updated.
- 30 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Updated for the latest Balance update.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Balance build.
- 15 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Probius' patch and moved to the new format.
- Heroic Deals: January 28th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 28th
- The Listening Game Podcast Interview with Kyle Dates
- Warcraft 3: Reforged Releases Today
- Diablo 1 Playable in 4K (The Hell 2 Mod)
- All Blizzard Esports To Be Streamed Exclusively on Youtube
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: January 24th
- 2019 Year in Review
- My vision Yrel for qm and non-high legaue.
- Heroes of the Storm Li-Ming
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Trivia: Maxium Multi-kill Icon