Tychus Build Guide “So, you gonna bark all day?”
Welcome to our guide for Tychus, a Ranged Assassin Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Tychus' Overview
Tychus is a sustained damage Assassin who excels at damaging Heroes with large Health pools. Much of his damage from Overkill and Minigun can be interrupted by crowd control, requiring Tychus to rely on careful positioning. Although his Heroic Abilities require some planning, they can be devestating game changers when used correctly.
2. Tychus' Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Tychus' Talent Build Cheatsheet
Minigun BuildTalent calculator »
The Minigun Build increases the utility of Minigun's active component, and benefits from complementary Talents at Levels that lack Minigun options. Use Frag Grenade to harass on cooldown, unless you need to hold it to interrupt a channeled Heroic. This build is very strong against Heroes who are easy to Basic Attack for extended durations, because you can farm In the Rhythm stacks from them.
Overkill BuildTalent calculator »
The Overkill Build is designed around the finishing potential of Overkill. The general idea is that you use The Bigger They Are... to rip through an enemy's Health pool quickly, and then finish them off with Overkill and Frag Grenade. Quarterback and Spray 'n' Pray will increase the range you have with these finishers, while Armor Piercing Rounds will greatly increase Overkill's damage. The main drawback of this build is that you cannot increase Overkill's damage until Level 16; you will harass with Overkill and Frag Grenade until then. Another weakness of this build is that the constant use of your Abilities can cause you to run out of Mana. Drakken Laser Drill can work with this build in certain situations. However, Odin is great when you are low on Mana, because its Abilities cost none.
4. Tychus' Synergies and Counters
Tychus can deal an incredible amount of damage to a stationary target, and benefits greatly from having strong crowd-control on his team. Heroes who can chain crowd-control on their own do very well with Tychus, because they can lock down an enemy while Minigun does its work. Slows, roots and physical barriers are also effective ways to increase Tychus' damage. Due to his small Health pool and lack of self-sustain, Tychus also does well with Heroes who can provide him with shields. Finally, Tychus thrives when his frontline is made up of disruptive Heroes that prevent the enemy team from being able to focus him safely.
Tychus does exceptionally high sustained damage with high cooldown Abilities. This can be countered by Heroes who can move themselves and their allies out of range of Tychus until his Abilities are on cooldown. Interrupting Tychus from a distance is also a great way to control his damage output. Tychus is also very susceptible to crowd-controls; they can interupt Overkill and eat up Minigun's active duration.
5. Tychus' Maps
Tychus' usefulness is more decided by team compositions than on the map he is playing. This is because many of his Ability and Talent mechanics are designed to interact with enemy Heroes, rather than with the environment. However, there are some mechanics worth looking at when deciding to play him on certain maps or not. Tychus has fairly good waveclear, which makes him passable on most maps. If you need to play a Hero for your composition who can solo Mercenary Camps, his lack of self-sustain will make him a bad choice. For this reason, he is also a weak choice if you are playing a map that requires prolonged solo PvE encounters. Both of Tychus' Heroic Abilities are great zoning tools, which makes him a strong pick on maps that feature frequent point control objectives. This is especially true when control of these points will usually involve teammates.
6. Tychus' Tips and Tricks
- Tychus cannot stutter-step, so use Overkill when you want to deal sustained AoE damage while moving.
- Use Frag Grenade to displace enemies that you are fleeing from or chasing, or to interupt channeled Abilities. Can be used during Overkill.
- Use Run and Gun to escape death, dodge harmful Abilities, or secure kills.
- Activate Minigun when attacking a Hero with a large Health pool, or who has been Stunned or Rooted.
- Use Commandeer Odin just as a fight begins, when the enemy team cannot just run away from it.
- Place the Drakken Laser Drill off to the side of a fight so that it will not be destroyed immediately.
7. Tychus' Role in the Current Meta
Tychus is one of the best anti-tanks in the game, because Minigun deals damage to Heroes based on their maximum Health. He is an especially good pick against double Tank compositions, where there are more high Health targets for him to punish. Tychus can hold his own against other types of Heroes, but his relatively low range can make trading with other ranged Assassins dangerous. This helps to define his niche as an anti-tank Assassin.
When using either Commandeer Odin or Drakken Laser Drill, Tychus is able to further increase his damage, and play from a longer range. This makes him a difficult target for enemy Assassins and Tanks to dive. Tychus is especially vulnerable to crowd control effects, as Polymorphs, Silences, and Stuns will interrupt Overkill and put it on a full cooldown. Crowd controls and Blinds can also prevent Minigun from dealing damage during its 3 second duration. Tychus is best played as a mid range brawler in team fights; he should stay in close proximity with his team.
- 10 May 2018 (talents page): Talent discussion updated to reflect balance patch.
- 06 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for the most recent balance patch and moved to the new guide format.
- Game Director Alan Dabiri Leaves Heroes Team
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 15th
- WTF Moments Episode 114
- Weekly Collection Update: October 16th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: October 12th
- Mal'Ganis Overview
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: October 8th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update: October 10th
- Icy Veins BattleTag exchange
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Was just told auriel is the worst healer in the game
- Im trying to start up a team to improve
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie
- Heroes of the Storm Xul
- Heroes of the Storm Kerrigan
- Fever Clan Recruitment