Tychus Build Guide “So, you gonna bark all day?”
Welcome to our guide for Tychus, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Tychus is a sustained damage Assassin who excels at damaging Heroes with large Health pools. Much of his damage from Overkill and Minigun can be interrupted by crowd control, requiring Tychus to rely on careful positioning. Although his Heroic Abilities require some planning, they can be devastating game changers when used correctly.
Tychus's Strengths and Weaknesses
Tychus's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Tychus's Synergies and Counters
Tychus can deal an incredible amount of damage to a stationary target, and benefits greatly from having strong crowd-control on his team. Heroes who can chain crowd-control or displace enemies on their own do very well with Tychus, because they can lock down an enemy while Minigun does its work. Tychus thrives when his frontline is made up of disruptive Heroes that prevent the enemy team from focusing him safely.
Tychus does exceptionally high sustained damage with high-Cooldown Abilities. This can be countered by Heroes who can move themselves and their allies out of range of Tychus until his Abilities are on Cooldown. Interrupting or Blinding Tychus is also a great way to control his damage output. Tychus is very susceptible to crowd-controls; they can interrupt Overkill and eat up Minigun's active duration.
Tychus's usefulness is more decided by team compositions than the map he is playing. This is because many of his Ability and Talent mechanics are designed to interact with enemy Heroes, rather than with the environment. However, there are some mechanics worth looking at when deciding to play him on certain maps or not. Tychus has fairly good waveclear, which makes him passable on most maps. If you need to play a Hero for your composition who can solo Mercenary Camps, his lack of self-sustain will make him a bad choice. For this reason, he is also a weak choice if you are playing a map that requires prolonged solo PvE encounters. Commandeer Odin greatly increases Tychus's effectiveness for a limited amount of time. This turns him into an excellent pick in Infernal Shrines and Volskaya Foundry, since it can be used during objective and enemies will have to choose between fighting with a disadvantage or giving up the objective.
Tychus's Tips and Tricks
- Tychus cannot stutter-step, so use Overkill when you want to deal sustained AoE damage while moving.
- Use Frag Grenade to displace enemies that you are fleeing from or chasing, or to interupt channeled Abilities. Can be used during Overkill.
- Use Run and Gun to escape death, dodge harmful Abilities, or secure kills.
- Activate Minigun when attacking a Hero with a large Health pool, or who has been Stunned or Rooted.
- Start casting Overkill if you are blinded during Minigun, since its damage is not affected by blinds.
- Place the Drakken Laser Drill off to the side of a fight so that it will not be destroyed immediately.
- Use Commandeer Odin just as a fight begins, when the enemy team cannot just run away from it.
- Commandeer Odin gives you unstoppable on cast for some seconds, while also giving 25 extra armor for the entire duration. Use it if you think you will be controlled for a long duration, or while Cocoon is going towards you.
Tychus's Role in the Current Meta
Tychus is one of the best anti-tanks in the game, because Minigun deals damage to Heroes based on their maximum Health. He is an especially good pick against double Tank compositions, where there are more high Health targets for him to punish. Tychus can hold his own against other types of Heroes, but his relatively low range can make trading with other ranged Assassins dangerous. This helps to define his niche as an anti-tank Assassin.
When using either Commandeer Odin or Drakken Laser Drill, Tychus is able to further increase his damage, and play from a longer range. This makes him a difficult target for enemy Assassins and Tanks to dive. Crowd controls and Blinds can prevent Minigun from dealing damage during its 3 second duration. Tychus is best played as a mid range brawler in team fights; he should stay in close proximity with his team.
- 26 Mar. 2021 (this page): Builds updated to reflect current meta.
- 26 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Updated Builds and Talents to reflect current meta.
- 17 Feb. 2021 (this page): Updated Minigun Build.
- 20 Jan. 2021 (this page): Guide updated to reflect meta and balance changes.
- 20 Jan. 2021 (talents page): Builds and Talents updated to reflect meta and balance changes.
- 25 Nov. 2020 (this page): Updated Overkill Build.
- 20 Nov. 2020 (this page): Builds updated to reflect current meta.
- 05 Nov. 2020 (this page): Guide reviewed after recent balance patch and no changes are necessary.
- 12 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talents updated after recent balance patch.
- 12 Oct. 2020 (this page): Updated Builds after recent balance patch.
- 24 Aug. 2020 (this page): Updated Builds to refect current meta.
- 24 Aug. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talents updated to reflect recent meta changes.
- 16 Jul. 2020 (this page): Updated guide to reflect recent balance patch.
- 16 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Guide updated to reflect recent balance patch changes.
- 21 Apr. 2020 (this page): Updated many topics through the guide.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (this page): Updated Build and Talents to reflect current meta.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Updated Role in the Current Meta to include information on current Nexus Anomaly.
- 30 Aug. 2019 (abilities page): Guide updated to reflect balance patch changes; Talent recommendations updated to reflect current meta.
- 30 Aug. 2019 (talents page): Guide updated to reflect balance patch changes; Talent recommendations updated to reflect current meta.
- 30 Aug. 2019 (this page): Guide updated to reflect balance patch changes; Talent recommendations updated to reflect current meta.
- 10 May 2018 (talents page): Talent discussion updated to reflect balance patch.
- 06 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for the most recent balance patch and moved to the new guide format.
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 17-18
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: April 17-18
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 10-11
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 10-11
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 3-4
- The "Grandfather" of Classic Omar Gonzalez Left Blizzard for Dreamhaven
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Malfurion
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Valla
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Deckard
- Heroes of the Storm Probius