Rexxar Build Guide “The beasts obey me!”
Welcome to our guide for Rexxar, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Rexxar's Overview
Rexxar is a hybrid character that combines the high health pool of a Warrior with the strong damage potential of an Assassin. He is followed by his bear companion, named Misha, who fights alongside Rexxar and supports him in various ways throughout the game. Compared to other Warriors, playing Rexxar is a unique experience since you have to control both him and Misha at the same time.
2. Rexxar's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Strong solo laner
- High health pool on Misha
- Decent crowd control
- Flexible playstyle
- Can easily clear Mercenary Camps on his own
- Rexxar being able to hold Map Objectives like Temples or Shrines with Misha makes him very potent pick on various Maps
- Lack of AoE damage, especially during the early-mid game
- Very weak if Misha dies
- No escape mechanisms before Level 16
- Controlling Misha requires some practise
3. Rexxar's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Safe Solo Lane BuildTalent calculator »
The Safe Solo Lane Build focuses, as the name suggests, on keeping Rexxar alive for as long as possible while in lane. This becomes crucial on maps such as Braxis Holdout or Dragon Shire. Staying alive and maintaining Objective control with Misha can put pressure on the enemy team and relieve your teammates. To guarantee Rexxar's (and Misha's) survival, it is crucial to take a look at the enemy team composition when hitting Level 4 and 16, respectively, since both talent tiers offer different sets of protection. At Level 4, Hungry Bear is the safest option, as it allows Misha to regenerate health while fighting other Heroes and Minions. If the enemy team compositions features a mix of Mages and Basic Attackers, Hunter-Gatherer can be a good choice, since the overall health regeneration and Armor it provides protects Rexxar against all forms of damage. If the enemy team consists of heavy physical damage, however, Grizzled Fortitude can work wonders. At Level 16, Thrill of the Hunt is a reliable choice, because it allows Rexxar and Misha to kite enemy Heroes very well. Against Basic Attackers, we recommend Primal Intimidation, and if the enemy team focuses on Rexxar a lot in general with heavy burst damage, Feign Death can be a lifesaver.
4. Rexxar's Synergies and Counters
Rexxar pairs very well with Heroes who add additional Slows, Stuns, or Roots to Misha's Misha, Charge! ability. Make sure to time your Stuns well, when playing with Heroes like E.T.C. to maximize their efficiency. Unleash the Boars's strong Movement Speed slow can pave the way for a powerful Blizzards and Ring of Frosts, while Malfurion's low cooldown heals work very well both Misha and Rexxar.
Rexxar does not need to fear many Heroes, as he is an excellent laner and a solid team fighter during most periods of the game. However, there are some opponents he should pay special attention to. Kael'thas and Tychus, in particular, can abuse Misha's reckless positioning quite heavily by either shredding her health with Minigun or causing her to spread Living Bomb onto nearby allies. Being one of the strongest duelists in the game, Artanis is one of the few Heroes who can hold his own against Rexxar in a one-on-one lane.
5. Rexxar's Maps
Rexxar excels on maps like Braxis Holdout or Dragon Shire, on which he can fulfill the role of a solo-laner with the rest of his team forming a 4-man lane and Misha holding Map Objectives all by herself. On larger battlegrounds like Cursed Hollow or Warhead Junction he often does not have enough strength to be useful during early team fights.
6. Rexxar's Tips and Tricks
- Rexxar's kit is one of the most challenging to master. Thus, we strongly recommend practising Misha's controls against the A.I. first before playing Rexxar in Hero and Team League.
- Due to his strong laning presence on maps like Braxis Holdout or Dragon Shire, Rexxar should usually be sent to a solo lane.
- Easy Prey provides Rexxar with powerful waveclear. Use it to quickly push lanes and clear Mercenary Camps.
- Do not forget that you can still control Misha while Feign Death is active.
- If you went for Animal Husbandry make sure to play even more carefully than you normally would, as a single death causes you to lose all the bonus health you accumulated to that point.
- Misha can be an excellent tool to intercept enemy abilities that were originally aimed at Rexxar.
7. Rexxar's Role in the Current Meta
Rexxar requires good micro management in order to unfold his maximum potential and, as such, he sometimes feels quite disappointing for newer players. Controlling Misha with Misha, Focus!, in particular, feels challenging at first. However, once the initial learning curve has been overcome, Rexxar's strong chasing and kiting capabilities and the ability to stun multiple foes at the same time make him a force to be reckoned with. Furthermore, he offers a relatively flexible talent tree, which allows him to adapt to the course of the game.
Both of Rexxar's Heroic Abilities are viable. Bestial Wrath provides a significant damage boost and thus becomes a solid choice in most games, regardless of your talent build. Unleash the Boars, on the other hand, is a very useful ability that is recommended if the enemy team either consists of one or several squishy Assassins, such as Jaina or Valla, or if your team lacks crowd control in general.
- 19 Apr. 2019 (talents page): Updated Rexxar's talents and talent order according to the latest Balance Update.
- 18 Mar. 2019 (talents page): Updated Rexxar's talents and builds in accordance with the recent Balance Updates.
- 18 Mar. 2019 (this page): Updated Rexxar's introduction.
- 06 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Updated Flare's description.
- 26 Jan. 2017 (this page): Moved guide to the new format and updated it for Valeera's patch.
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: May 24th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: May 21st
- Heroic Deals: May 21st
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: May 21st
- Heroic Deals: May 14th
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: May 17th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: May 14th
- US Senator Seeks to Ban Loot Boxes & Pay-to-Win Microtransactions
- Heroes of the Storm Garrosh
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Heroes of the Storm Azmodan
- Heroes of the Storm Nova
- Potential Team Comp