Kerrigan Build Guide “Long live the real Queen.”
Welcome to our guide for Kerrigan, a Melee Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Kerrigan is a Melee Assassin that utilizes a devestating combo of Primal Grasp and Impaling Blades to Stun and damage groups of enemies. Kerrigan is able to deal very high burst damage to her target, although she is vulnerable to burst damage herself due to her low Health pool and lack of defensive Abilities. One of Kerrigan's greatest strengths is her Ability to roam the battlefield in search of ganks, as simply one or two successful picks will provide her team a significant Experience lead that can many times snowball into an easy victory.
Kerrigan's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Excellent burst damage and crowd-control
- Strong inititaition by means of Ravage
- Excels at ganking opponents right from the get-go
- Deceptively tanky due to Assimilation and Assimilation-related Talents
- Incredibly vulnerable to crowd-control
- Very reliant on Ability cooldowns
- Low sustain damage
- High skill cap and learning curve
- No means of escape (without Psionic Shift)
- Waveclear dependent on the use of core Basic Abilities
Kerrigan's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Kerrigan's Ravage Build is excellent if you are able to stack Sharpened Blades. While Siphoning Impact allows Kerrigan to stack up a rather large Assimilation Shield very quicky with her additional charges of Ravage, The splash damage component of Fury of the Swarm will allow for viable waveclear when Kerrigan finds herself alone, especially during the early game.
Both Heroic Abilities are good, and should be picked based on personal preference. While Summon Ultralisk will be a good setup or follow up for your combo, Maelstrom adds more area of effect damage and self-sustain through Assimilation. Chrysalis is a good choice against burst and crowd control, while Volatile Power gives you better survivability during team fights.
Primal Grasp BuildSituational
Primal Grasp Build consists in constantly having stacked spell armor through Psionic Barrier and Psionic Pulse. It should be the choice when facing mages and other heroes reliant on spell damage, since it might reduce those by 75%, and give you the much necessary survivability against them.
Boundless Fury is essential for this build. Kerrigan wants to proc Primal Grasp's explosion in multiple targets, and the added mobility from the talent will be necessary. Even though Queen of Blades has good synergy with the Primal Grasp Build, we do not recommend it. It is much less reliable than Boundless Fury, considering you need to use your combo after using Ravage once or twice, while with Boundless Fury, you are able to combo at anytime without losing mobility.
Kerrigan's Synergies and Counters
Kerrigan is best suited for smaller Battlegrounds that are oriented primarily around team fighting, as that is where she excels most. Maps that contain multiple bushes with paths that lead behind the enemy team will more easily allow Kerrigan to flank her opponents. Kerrigan should avoid larger maps where team fights are rare and the ability to split-push is a much more valuable asset to the team.
Kerrigan's Tips and Tricks
- Kerrigan should always use her Basic Abilities wisely in order to conserve Mana.
- In fights, always use Impaling Blades and Primal Grasp together. Use Primal Grasp to pull enemies into Impaling Blades' area-of-effect.
- Primal Grasp will always pull enemies the same distance. Take this into account when placing Impaling Blades.
- Ravage can be used on enemy Structures or Summons to close the gap between enemy Heroes or to retreat from a compromised position.
- Kerrigan excels with allied Heroes that can follow-up on her burst damage and crowd-control, however is weak against enemy teams with a strong frontline and lots of lockdown.
- Kerrigan is a fantastic early-game Hero. Take advantage of this by ganking early and often by maintaining extreme aggression.
- Attempt to flank enemies whenever possible to take advantage of an enemy Hero's poor positioning.
- Enemies will usually attempt to avoid Kerrigan's Primal Grasp/ Impaling Blades combo by side-stepping it preemptively. Use this to your advantage when pursuing them by holding onto Kerrigan's combo until her target puts themselves in a bad position, making her combo unavoidable.
- Only use Primal Grasp and Ravage when clearing waves, since Impaling Blades is not necessary and costs more mana.
Kerrigan's Role in the Current Meta
Teams with Kerrigan are generally centered around her, similar to other Melee Assassins, such as The Butcher and Illidan. Kerrigan's allies should be made up of Heroes that can assist her in dealing burst damage, Stunning or Rooting enemies, and keeping her alive. Uther is an example of a fantastic Healer to pair with Kerrigan, while a Hero like Jaina would be a great Assassin to provide additional damage and crowd control. Team compositions that include Kerrigan fare exceptionally well against opponents with multiple squishy Heroes, however tend to do poorly against enemies with a strong frontline consisting of multiple Tanks or Bruisers.
Kerrigan, while decent on all Maps, thrives on small, early game focused Maps, such as Dragon Shire, Tomb of the Spider Queen, and Braxis Holdout. She can bully entire enemy teams merely with the her presence and the threat of her high burst damage and crowd control. This is because of how quickly and easily Kerrigan can roam to different lanes on small Maps and how significant early kills are to establishing an Experience or Objective lead. Kerrigan should always use this to her advantage and play extremely aggressively, ganking as many lanes as often whenever possible. Playing on a larger Map forces her to focus more on waveclearing and less on ganking, which is not what Kerrigan should be used for.
- 05 Jun. 2022 (this page): Guide updated to reflect meta development.
- 26 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Updated Talent recommendations.
- 26 Feb. 2021 (this page): Updated Ravage Build.
- 20 Jan. 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed after recent balance patch.
- 08 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talents updated after recent balance patch.
- 08 Oct. 2020 (this page): Guide updated after recent balance patch.
- 18 May 2020 (this page): Updated tips and counters.
- 09 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talent changes to better reflect current meta.
- 01 Oct. 2018 (abilities page): Updated ability page to reflect changes published with the recent balance patch.
- 01 Oct. 2018 (this page): Full guide updated to reflect changes made in the recent balance patch.
- 01 Oct. 2018 (talents page): Full page updated to reflect changes made in the recent balance patch.
- 01 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Level 1 Talent Energizing Grasp and Level 7 Talent Adaption have been removed in accordance to the Aug. 31 Balance update.
- 01 Sep. 2017 (this page): Level 1 Talent Energizing Grasp and Level 7 Talent Adaption have been removed in accordance to the Aug. 31 Balance update.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Level 20 Talent Bolt-of-the-Storm replaced with Psionic Shift. Discussion and builds updated accordingly.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (this page): Level 20 Talent Bolt-of-the-Storm replaced with Psionic Shift. Discussion and builds updated accordingly.
- 04 Nov. 2016 (this page): Kerrigan rework with new guide format.
- 04 Nov. 2016 (talents page): Kerrigan rework with new guide format.
More Melee Assassin Guides
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players
- NetEase Responds to Blizzard Licensing Agreement Expiration
- Most Blizzard Game Services to Be Suspended in China on January 23rd
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Connection Lost Constantly
- Heroes of the Storm Wandering Keg
- Heroes of the Storm Garden of Terror
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar