Kerrigan Build Guide “Long live the real Queen.”
Welcome to our guide for Kerrigan, a Melee Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Kerrigan is a melee assassin that utilizes a devestating combo of Primal Grasp and Impaling Blades to Stun and damage groups of enemies. Kerrigan is able to deal very high burst damage to her target, although she is vulnerable to burst damage herself due to her low health pool and lack of defensive abilities. One of Kerrigan's greatest strengths is her ability to roam the map in search of ganks, as simply one or two successful picks will provide her team a significant experience lead that can many times snowball into an easy victory.
Kerrigan's Strengths and Weaknesses
Kerrigan's Talent Build Cheatsheet
The Standard Build favors Talent options that give Kerrigan the most utility possible, while also having a good burst damage in teamfights. The splash damage component of Fury of the Swarm will allow for viable waveclear when Kerrigan finds herself alone, especially during the early game. Fury of the Swarm also works very well with Volatile Power in providing Kerrigan with much needed shields via Assimilation. Lastly, the combination of Kinetic Fulmination and Painful Spikes brings phenominal burst damage potential after having successfully landed Kerrigan's W/E combo.
Both Heroic Abilities are good, and should be picked based on personal preference. While Summon Ultralisk will be a good setup or follow up for your combo, Maelstrom adds more AoE damage and sustain through Assimilation. Chrysalis is a good choice against burst and crowd control, while Volatile Power gives you better sustain for fights.
Primal Grasp BuildSituational
Primal Grasp Build consists in constantly having stacked spell armor through Psionic Barrier and Psionic Pulse. It should be the choice when facing mages and other heroes reliant on spell damage, since it might reduce those by 75%, and give you the much necessary survivability against them.
Boundless Fury is essential for this build. Kerrigan wants to proc Primal Grasp's explosion in multiple targets, and the added mobility from the talent will be necessary. Even though Queen of Blades has good synergy with the Primal Grasp Build, we do not recommend it. It is much less reliable than Boundless Fury, considering you need to use your combo after using Ravage once or twice, while with Boundless Fury, you are able to combo at anytime without losing mobility.
The Ravage Build is a decent build in Infernal Shrines, since it greatly enhances Kerrigan's capabilities to do Shrines. While Siphoning Impact allows Kerrigan to stack up a rather large Assimilation shield very quicky with her additional charges of Ravage, Fury of the Swarm gives her a much needed waveclear and resilience during Shrine clear. This build does take some time to ramp up in effectiveness, as Kerrigan will need to farm stacks of Sharpened Blades to generate the most damage output (75 minions need to be killed without taking into account enemy hero takedowns). Mounting Potency also relies on the wise use of Ravage's charges to build up the maximum damage potential.
Kerrigan's Synergies and Counters
Kerrigan is best suited for smaller Battlegrounds that are oriented primarily around team fighting, as that is where she excels most. Maps that contain multiple bushes with paths that lead behind the enemy team will more easily allow Kerrigan to flank her opponents. Kerrigan should avoid larger maps where team fights are rare and the ability to split-push is a much more valuable asset to the team.
Kerrigan's Tips and Tricks
- Kerrigan should always use her Basic Abilities wisely in order to conserve Mana.
- In fights, always use Impaling Blades and Primal Grasp together. Use Primal Grasp to pull enemies into Impaling Blades' area-of-effect.
- Primal Grasp will always pull enemies the same distance. Take this into account when placing Impaling Blades.
- Ravage can be used on enemy Structures or summoned creatures to close the gap between enemy Heroes or to retreat from a compromised position.
- Kerrigan excels with allied Heroes that can follow-up on her burst damage and crowd-control, however is weak against enemy teams with a strong frontline and lots of lockdown.
- Kerrigan is a fantastic early-game Hero. Take advantage of this by ganking early and often by maintaining extreme aggression.
- Attempt to flank enemies whenever possible to take advantage of an enemy hero's poor positioning.
- Enemies will usually attempt to avoid Kerrigan's Primal Grasp/ Impaling Blades combo by side-stepping it preemptively. Use this to your advantage when pursuing them by holding onto Kerrigan's combo until her target puts themselves in a bad position, making her combo unavoidable.
- Only use Primal Grasp and Ravage when clearing waves, since Impaling Blades is not necessary and costs more mana.
Role in the Current Meta
Teams with Kerrigan are generally centered around her, similar to other melee Assassins, such as The Butcher and Illidan. Kerrigan's allies should be made up of Heroes that can assist her in dealing burst damage, Stunning or Rooting enemies, and keeping her alive. Uther is an example of a fantastic support to pair with Kerrigan, while a Hero like Jaina would be a great assassin to provide additional damage and crowd control. Team compositions that include Kerrigan fare exceptionally well against opponents with multiple squishy Heroes, however tend to do poorly against enemies with a strong frontline consisting of multiple tanks or bruisers.
Kerrigan, while decent on all maps, thrives on small, early-game focused maps, such as Dragon Shire, Tomb of the Spider Queen, and Braxis Holdout. She can bully entire enemy teams merely with the her presence and the threat of her high burst damage and crowd-control. This is because of how quickly and easily Kerrigan can roam to different lanes on small maps and how significant early kills are to establishing an experience/objective lead. Kerrigan should always use this to her advantage and play extremely aggressively, ganking as many lanes as often whenever possible. Playing on a larger map forces her to focus more on waveclearing and less on ganking, which is not what Kerrigan should be used for.
- 18 May 2020 (this page): Updated tips and counters.
- 09 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talent changes to better reflect current meta.
- 01 Oct. 2018 (talents page): Full page updated to reflect changes made in the recent balance patch.
- 01 Oct. 2018 (this page): Full guide updated to reflect changes made in the recent balance patch.
- 01 Oct. 2018 (abilities page): Updated ability page to reflect changes published with the recent balance patch.
- 01 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Level 1 Talent Energizing Grasp and Level 7 Talent Adaption have been removed in accordance to the Aug. 31 Balance update.
- 01 Sep. 2017 (this page): Level 1 Talent Energizing Grasp and Level 7 Talent Adaption have been removed in accordance to the Aug. 31 Balance update.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (this page): Level 20 Talent Bolt-of-the-Storm replaced with Psionic Shift. Discussion and builds updated accordingly.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Level 20 Talent Bolt-of-the-Storm replaced with Psionic Shift. Discussion and builds updated accordingly.
- 04 Nov. 2016 (talents page): Kerrigan rework with new guide format.
- 04 Nov. 2016 (this page): Kerrigan rework with new guide format.
- Activision Blizzard Q2 2020 Financial Report
- Old Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Trailer Upscaled to 4K
- Blizzard at Gamescom 2020
- The Summoning: Diablo 4 Announcement Cinematic Trailer Parody
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: July 15th
- Climate Phenomena Nexus Anomaly Removed from the Game
- Upcoming Heroes of the Storm AMA: July 16th
- Diablo 2 Gameplay AI Upscaled to 4K, 60 FPS
- Heroes of the Storm Mei
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- How do I get out of Bronze/Silver?
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Totally accurate rank list of heroes of the storm
- Did you stop playing after the e-sports cancellation?