Raynor Build Guide “Hit 'em hard and fast.”
Welcome to our guide for Raynor, a Ranged Assassin Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Raynor's Overview
Raynor is a ranged Assassin who relies on his hard-hitting Basic Attacks and long range to fight his enemies from a safe distance. He combines plain abilities with simple mechanics, however, he requires good positioning and map awareness in order to unfold his true strength. Since Raynor lacks any form of innate escape mechanism, like teleports or dashes, knowing when to take a fight and when to retreat is crucial to achieve good results when playing this Hero.
2. Raynor's Strengths and Weaknesses
- One-sided playstyle
- No innate escape mechanisms
- Weak early game
3. Raynor's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard Auto Attack BuildTalent calculator »
The Standard Auto Attack Build is designed to amplify Raynor's damage on Slowed and Rooted targets thanks to Ace In The Hole and thus becomes particularly powerful with other crowd control heavy Warriors and Assassins, such as Diablo or Jaina. If your team happens to lack any form of crowd control, it can be replaced by Veteran Marksman. At Level 10, both Heroic Abilities are viable, however, we prefer Raynor's Raider against teams that rely a lot on squishy backliners, as it will provide additional pressure against them. If team fighting and pushing is prefered for your team, Hyperion is still a rewarding choice.
Self Heal BuildTalent calculator »
Increasing Raynor's survivability on the battlefield is the main goal using the Self Heal Build. Consequently, talents like Fight or Flight at Level 4 or Paint Them Red at Level 16 are crucial. We would recommend picking this defensive Talent Build if the enemy features a lot of burst damage and dangerous Warriors who can pressure you.
4. Raynor's Synergies and Counters
Since Raynor relies completely on his Basic Attacks, Blinds are his worst enemy. As a result, Heroes like Johanna or Artanis can really cripple Raynor's combat performance. Cassia proves to be a special challenge, since she can not only Blind Raynor, but her Trait Avoidance also reduces all damage from his Basic Attacks by 40%.
5. Raynor's Maps
Raynor usually performs decently on most maps, however, he is slightly more efficient on push-heavy maps, such as Infernal Shrines or Dragon Shire. The more opportunities he gets to attack his opponents from a safe distance, the better. Try to avoid getting caught separately from your team when playing Raynor, as his escape potential is rather limited. Raynor should not be played in the solo lane, instead, try to be part of map rotations and stay behind your Warriors at all time while moving from lane to lane.
6. Raynor's Tips and Tricks
- Movement is crucial when playing Raynor, since he lacks any gap-closing abilities. Thus, make sure to constantly keep stutter stepping in between each Basic Attack even while fighting Minions in lane.
- You can manually reassign a new target to your Banshee by hovering your cursor over the desired target and pressing R again.
- Penetrating Round can be used to knock enemies away from you. It can also be used to knock enemies towards your teammates.
- Inspire also works on Minions and Mercenaries. Use it during pushes to take down enemy Structures more quickly.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Raynor is a solid pick on most maps, but he particularly shines on smaller ones like Towers of Doom, Infernal Shrines, or Tomb of the Spider Queen, which focus heavily on pushing and fighting in narrow spaces. His conservative playstyle and powerful Basic Attacks make him a stereotypical ranged Assassin that fits into many team compositions.
Although most of Raynor's abilities are fairly easy to understand, it is extremely important to know when to use them. Penetrating Round can be used to knock engaging enemies away from him, but it can also be used to harass and damage opponents in lane. Inspire can be a valuable tool to push your lane by increasing your own and your allies' attack speed, but it can also be a necessary to provide you with more mobility. The same applies for Raynor's Heroic Abilities. While Raynor's Raider is a formidable way to further push his damage output on single targets, Hyperion allows him to damage several enemies and Structures at the same time. Thus, Raynor remains a solid Hero that is easy to learn yet hard to master.
- 26 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Updated Raynor's talents and adjusted the recommended Builds accordingly.
- 13 Jul. 2018 (this page): Updated for Raynor's rework.
- Orphea Comic
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: November 13th
- BlizzCon 2018 Diablo Immortal Press Conference Recap
- Orphea Talent Calculator Now Live
- Activision Blizzard Q3 2018 Earnings Call
- Weekly Brawl - Trial Grounds: November 9th
- Heroes of the Storm Post-BlizzCon 2018 Developer AMA Recap
- Tempo Storm BlizzCon 2018 Interview
- Heroes of the Storm Jaina
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio
- Heroes of the Storm Mal'Ganis
- New tactic idea
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie
- Heroes of the Storm Kerrigan