Raynor Build Guide “Hit 'em hard and fast.”
Welcome to our guide for Raynor, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Raynor is a ranged Assassin who relies on his hard-hitting Basic Attacks and long range to fight his enemies from a safe distance. He combines plain abilities with simple mechanics, however, he requires good positioning and map awareness in order to unfold his true strength. Since Raynor lacks any form of innate escape mechanism, like teleports or dashes, knowing when to take a fight and when to retreat is crucial to achieve good results when playing this Hero.
Raynor's Strengths and Weaknesses
- One-sided playstyle
- No innate escape mechanisms
- Blinds greatly reduce his effectiveness
- Requires good positioning
Raynor's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard Auto Attack BuildRecommended
The Standard Auto Attack Build is designed to amplify Raynor's damage while also giving him good survivability. At level 1, Exterminator will drastically Raynor's PvE damage. It should be picked in Maps where waveclear and mercenaries are essential, or in Battlefield of Eternity, to greatly increase damage on immortal. At Level 10, both Heroic Abilities are viable, however, we recommend Raynor's Raider as the main option, while Hyperion can be a great option to push Forts, Keeps or to control Objectives in Volskaya Foundry or Infernal Shrines. Giddy-Up is the standard option for 13, but Debilitating Rounds will be even better if enemies are easy to hit with Penetrating Round.
Raynor's Synergies and Counters
Raynor excels if played with Heroes that can easily protect him, while also creating space so he can deliver more Basic Attacks. Beside the tanks with decent peel capabilities, Thrall is a good teammate, since Earthquake's slow will not only assist Raynor against engages, but will also allow him to play freely in fights.
Raynor usually performs decently on most maps, however, he is slightly more efficient on push-heavy maps, such as Infernal Shrines or Dragon Shire. The more opportunities he gets to attack his opponents from a safe distance, the better. Try to avoid getting caught separately from your team when playing Raynor, as his escape potential is rather limited. Raynor should not be played in the solo lane, instead, try to be part of map rotations and stay behind your Warriors at all time while moving from lane to lane.
Raynor's Tips and Tricks
- Movement is crucial when playing Raynor, since he lacks any gap-closing abilities. Thus, make sure to constantly keep stutter stepping in between each Basic Attack even while fighting Minions in lane.
- You can manually reassign a new target to your Banshee by hovering your cursor over the desired target and pressing R again.
- Penetrating Round can be used to knock enemies away from you. It can also be used to knock enemies towards your teammates.
- Inspire also works on Minions and Mercenaries. Use it during pushes to take down enemy Structures more quickly.
Role in the Current Meta
Raynor is a solid pick on most maps, but he particularly shines on smaller ones like Towers of Doom, Infernal Shrines, or Tomb of the Spider Queen, which focus heavily on pushing and fighting in narrow spaces. His conservative playstyle and powerful Basic Attacks make him a stereotypical ranged Assassin that fits into many team compositions.
Although most of Raynor's abilities are fairly easy to understand, it is extremely important to know when to use them. Penetrating Round can be used to knock engaging enemies away from him, but it can also be used to harass and damage opponents in lane. Inspire can be a valuable tool to push your lane by increasing your own and your allies' attack speed, but it can also be a necessary to provide you with more mobility. The same applies for Raynor's Heroic Abilities. While Raynor's Raider is a formidable way to further push his damage output on single targets, Hyperion allows him to damage several enemies and Structures at the same time. Thus, Raynor remains a solid Hero that is easy to learn yet hard to master.
- 04 Jun. 2020 (this page): Guide has been reviewed and is in accordance with Exterminator changes from the latest patch.
- 22 Apr. 2020 (this page): Updated Strengths, Weaknesses, and Synergies to reflect current meta.
- 22 Apr. 2020 (abilities page): Added deeper description into Raynor's Abilities.
- 17 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Updated Talents and builds to better reflect current meta.
- 14 Feb. 2020 (talents page): Updated Raynor's talents and builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added the current Anomaly (Experience Globes) to the guide.
- 04 Jul. 2019 (this page): Revised and updated Raynor's Guide including Abilities, Talents, and Builds.
- 04 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Revised and updated Raynor's Talents.
- 04 Jul. 2019 (abilities page): Revised and updated Raynor's Abilities.
- 26 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Updated Raynor's talents and adjusted the recommended Builds accordingly.
- 13 Jul. 2018 (this page): Updated for Raynor's rework.
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: January 19th
- The New Battle.net Is Almost Here, Going Live in NA
- Merry Christmas from the Icy Veins Team!
- Blizzard Sending Out New Surveys About "Classic" Version of The Burning Crusade
- How to Become a Better Stukov Player
- Activision Blizzard's Stock Reached All-Time Highs
- Cyberpunk 2077 Wiki from IcyWiki
- Heroes of the Storm Live Patch Notes: December 1st
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Cassia
- Heroes of the Storm Qhira
- Heroes of the Storm Hogger
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List