Tassadar Build Guide “Executor, I stand ready!”
Welcome to our guide for Tassadar, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Tassadar is a ranged assassin with good damage output from high range. All his abilities deal AoE damage, being an excellent Hero if enemies tend to stay close together. Force Wall is an interesting ability. If used well, it can be very impactful, but without proper care, it can even harm your team. Even though Tassadar can get some Talents that improve his survivability, he is a squishy and immobile Hero. Without proper positioning, Tassadar will be an easy target for any tank or melee assassin.
Tassadar's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Is very squishy, and can be easily killed or ganked
- Weak against high mobility Heroes, since all his Abilities can be easily dodged.
- No mobility outside of specific Talents
- Force Wall is hard to use and has a high Mana cost.
- Weak against crowd control or knockbacks, since those will cancel Shock Ray.
Tassadar's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Psionic Storm BuildRecommended
The Psionic Storm Build allows Tassadar to be poking enemies from a long and safe range. It may not have the same damage capabilities as Shock Ray Build, but due to the long range of all abilities, it is a great choice if you are concerned about enemies easily reaching you. This build's playstyle is focused on using Psionic Storm from a long range, to then use Shock Ray in the direction the enemy is moving, so that in the moment they leave Psionic Storm area, Psionic Echo will spawn another one, being a great poke and harass tool.
Psi-Infusion does not increase Tassadar's damage, but it enables him to be constantly poking enemies with the combo described above while also giving him good Mana sustain. However, it is not necessary if the enemy team's composition do not feature any high range Hero, and we recommend getting Static Charge in that situation. The main power spike from this build comes with Psionic Echo, which greatly increases your damage output. Level 4 is a situational tier, Plasma Shield is a good option if enemies will reach you, independently of the situation. Induction is a versatile Talent that increases Tassadar's mobility while he has no abilities available. Electric Fence will be a great Talent if you do not need the extra survivability from those talents, since it cripples enemies' mobility while also increasing your damage output.
All the talents at Level 13 can be good; Shadow Walk can save Tassadar from divers, Oracle gives him a very good sustain and resistance against Mages, and Feedback will be outstanding during Archon, being a good pick if you do not need the extra survivability from the other 2 Talents. At level 16, Psychic Shock is the standard pick, but if your team is mostly focusing tanks, Thermal Lance might be a better choice.
Shock Ray BuildRecommended
The Shock Ray Build is focused on getting Talents to maximize the power of Shock Ray. Static Charge will greatly increase Shock Ray's damage, while also increasing Tassadar's mana sustain by stacking his Resonance Beam. At Level 4, Induction is a good option against some dive compositions, since the extra movement speed can be the difference between getting killed or not by a Greymane or a Thrall. However, Plasma Shield is excellent against poke heroes or against enemies that will chase you no matter how fast you move, like Zeratul or Genji. In those situations, Induction will not be useful. All the talents at Level 13 can be good; Shadow Walk can save Tassadar from divers, Oracle gives him a very good sustain and resistance against Mages, and Feedback will be very impactful if they do not have threats to kill you.
At level 7, Psionic Echo is a good option when Tassadar wants to burst someone faster, but it does not enhance his DPS as much as Beam Alignment does. Archon is the recommend Heroic Ability for this build. So far we did not see Black Hole being more reliable. Archon will greatly increase your damage output from Basic Attacks and Abilities in the fight, while also guaranteeing that Plasma Shield and Beam Alignment will be up during fight. We always recommend going for Twilight Archon here, because this build is very dependent on Archon's Basic Attacks and having Beam Alignment charged.
Tassadar's Synergies and Counters
Tassadar relies on hitting Shock Ray, so he excels with E.T.C. or Johanna, Heroes with powerful crowd controls, that can easily setup enemies for his Abilities. Tassadar also has a hard time finishing enemies, so assassins with high mobility can be used with him in order to kill the low health targets.
Tassadar is countered by highly mobile Heroes who can easily dive or stun him. His lack of mobility and low health pool turns him into an easy target for mobile Heroes, being very dependent of allies to peel him against those.
Tassadar's Tips and Tricks
- Shock Ray can be used from bushes or vents so enemies do not see the channeling, and consequently do not dodge it.
- Shock Ray is a slow Ability, so we recommend using it to follow slows or aim it towards a target leaving Psionic Storm.
- If your team is retreating, remember that Psionic Storm can be used to dismount pursuing enemies.
- Resonance Beam is you main way to regen your mana. When it starts to run out, you can start only using Psionic Storm to clear the wave, while keeping Resonance Beam up.
- Archon can be used to peel yourself; 40% of your health as shields may save you in many situations.
Tassadar's Role in the Current Meta
Tassadar's early game is different based of his Level 1 Talent. With a quest, it is better to focus on stacking it while clearing waves, but Psi-Infusion allows you to have use all your potential to speed up the waveclear to get good advantage in the early game. It is very important as Tassadar to be in a safe position while using Shock Ray. He will run out of Mana very easily when using both Shock Ray and Psionic Storm. To play around this, you can either be constantly replenishing Resonance Beam or be rotating with someone else, so you will only need to use Psionic Storm to clear the minions.
Tassadar has an excellent poke damage. It is recommended to use your Abilities to reduce enemies' HP before committing to an important fight. Since Tassadar does not have any mechanics that favor chasing enemies, it is better to only use your Heroic Ability when you are sure that enemies will not be able to just walk away from it.
- 24 May 2020 (this page): Updated builds.
- 15 Apr. 2020 (abilities page): Updated Tassadar's Guide accordingly to his Rework.
- 15 Apr. 2020 (this page): Updated Tassadar's Guide accordingly to his Rework.
- 15 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Updated Tassadar's Guide accordingly to his Rework.
- 16 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added the current Anomaly (Experience Globes) to the guide.
- 29 Aug. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Tassadar's ability descriptions.
- 29 Aug. 2019 (this page): Updated Tassadar's introduction to reflect the current meta more accurately.
- 29 Aug. 2019 (talents page): Updated Tassadar's Talent Builds and several of his Talent priorities in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 19 Feb. 2019 (this page): Updated Tassadar's introduction.
- 19 Feb. 2019 (talents page): Updated Tassadar's talent builds.
- 30 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Changed Khaydarin Resonance from Recommended to Not Recommended.
- 29 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Khala's Light description and updated Tassadar's Talent Builds.
- 03 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Changed Force Barrier from Not Recommended to Situational and updated several other talent descriptions.
- 07 Aug. 2017 (this page): Removed Tassadar's Full Support build.
- 06 Jul. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Tassadar's Plasma Shield description.
- 06 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Updated Adun's Wisdom's description.
- 09 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Changed Khala's Embrace from Not Recommended to Recommended and updated Talent Builds.
- 04 May 2017 (talents page): Updated several of Tassadar's talent descriptions.
- 28 Feb. 2017 (talents page): Updated Khaydarin Resonance in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 31 Jan. 2017 (talents page): Changed some Level 7 and Level 13 talent recommendations.
- 25 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide moved to the new format and updated following the changes in Valeera's patch.
- Diablo 2 Retrospective
- Diablo 2 20-year Anniversary Celebration with New Wings, a Diablo Bust, Videos and More!
- Diablo 2 Remaster Won't Be Announced in June
- Nexomania II Event Preview (June 23rd - September 7th)
- Bringing Mei Into the Nexus
- Heroes of the Storm Mei Patch Notes: June 23rd
- Diablo 2 Creators on the Rumored Remaster: No Censoring, It's a Tough Job
- Diablo 2 Remaster Significantly More Likely After Two Job Postings Surface
- Heroes of the Storm Mei
- How do I get out of Bronze/Silver?
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Totally accurate rank list of heroes of the storm
- Did you stop playing after the e-sports cancellation?
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin