Zarya Build Guide “Are you in need of personal training?”
Welcome to our guide for Zarya, a Support in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Zarya is a Support who combines protective tools with strong offensive capabilities. She has a unique Basic Attack that allows her to hit multiple enemy targets at the same time. She can cast a Shield on herself or provide a Shield to allied Heroes, get Energy based on the damage absorbed by any of her Shields, and deal additional damage based on how much Energy has been stored, however, her Energy will slowly decay over time. As a consequence, in order to play Zarya effectively, it is important to predict incoming damage to cast Shields at the right moment, a move that will allow you to maximize both damage mitigation and Energy generation.
Zarya's Strengths and Weaknesses
- High survivability
- Good damage output at high Energy
- Shields for allied Heroes
- Abilities are free
Zarya's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Shield Ally BuildRecommended
Zarya's Shield Ally Build is based on a variety of Talents that empower Shields for allied Heroes and for yourself. Some of them also increase your damage output a bit.
Level 1 will be chosen based on how much Energy you can generate, Level 4 is mostly about what kind of threat you expect from the enemy team, and Level 13 allows you to empower your own survivability in various ways.
Among the alternatives, you have two powerful Talents that can counter some enemy Abilities: Unstoppable Competitor at Level 13 to make yourself Unstoppable and Cleansing Shield at Level 16 to remove crowd control effects from allied Heroes. Do not hesitate to pick them when appropriate.
Zarya's Synergies and Counters
A team featuring Zarya should prefer a solo laner who has enough self-sustain to not need any help from their team and survive to enemy ganks (for example Yrel) when playing on any Map and that can also double soak (such as Leoric) when playing on 3-lane Maps.
Since she does not have mobility tools, Zarya is an easy target for enemy Heroes who do not have a reliable gap closer and can crowd control her, especially if they have access to Knockback effects (such as Wrecking Ball by Garrosh) to abuse her lack of mobility even more or Sleep effects that can be used to stall the team fight for a few seconds while her Shields wear off.
Considering that her Shields expire after few seconds, Zarya struggles against Heroes who can deal a constant amount of damage (such as Raynor) as they do not rely on their Abilities that much.
The best solo laners to play against a team featuring Zarya should be able to mitigate an enemy push done by a few Heroes while the reinforcements are coming with waveclear and/or crowd control (for example Yrel).
The fact that Zarya does not use Mana is great during the early game, therefore she is a fantastic pick on Maps where a good start can make the difference between a win and a loss (notably Braxis Holdout).
If your team has a solo laner who can double soak (such as Xul), you can basically play Zarya on 3-lane Maps like when you are playing on 2-lane Maps, so just focus on a side lane and pressure the enemy team as much as you can.
Zarya's Tips and Tricks
- Particle Grenade should be fired when at high Energy to deal more damage or to interrupt enemies who are channeling an Objective.
- Personal Barrier can be used to absorb damage from Structures in order to quickly fill your Energy.
- Try to anticipate incoming damage when using Shield Ally and Personal Barrier to maximize your Energy gain.
- You can use Expulsion Zone to block an enemy Hero in a corner.
- Graviton Surge requires you to predict how enemy Heroes move, else it will miss them.
- Zarya lacks mobility, therefore it is important to have a good position when enemy Heroes are nearby or missing.
- Zarya's Basic Attacks hit all enemies in a straight line and therefore should be used to hit multiple Minions or Mercenaries when possible.
Zarya's Role in the Current Meta
Since she can provide Shields, Zarya shines against burst compositions that feature a Mage who can deal burst damage (Jaina comes to mind) and sometimes even an aggressive Melee Assassin (such as Kerrigan).
- 25 Feb. 2021 (talents page): New layout.
- 23 Feb. 2021 (this page): Builds and Talent Descriptions updated.
- 23 Feb. 2021 (talents page): Builds and Talent Descriptions updated.
- 16 Feb. 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 16 Feb. 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 12 Jul. 2020 (abilities page): Ability and Strategy fully revised to match new standards.
- Tips and Tricks modified to add important tips that were missing and to remove obvious ones that were not worth mentioning.
- Ability Descriptions modified to better explain how to use Abilities effectively.
- 12 Jul. 2020 (this page): Introduction fully revised to match new standards.
- Overview rewritten to better describe the Hero.
- Strengths and Weaknesses modified to give a better idea about the Hero when being played right.
- Synergies and Counters modified to mention notable Heroes that were missing and to remove misleading Heroes that were listed.
- Maps modified to focus on the main aspects of the Hero when evaluating a Map.
- Tips and Tricks modified to list important tips that were missing before and to delete more obvious ones.
- 12 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 16 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 16 Apr. 2020 (this page): Introduction partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 14 Feb. 2020 (talents page): Updated Zarya's talents and revised the guide in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 16 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added the current Anomaly (Experience Globes) to the guide.
- 20 Nov. 2019 (talents page): Applied minor changes to Zarya's talents and maps sections to keep it up to date.
- 23 May 2019 (talents page): Updated Zarya's talents and builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 24 Oct. 2017 (this page): Updated Warhead Junction ranking and removed Energy build.
- 16 Apr. 2017 (talents page): Added a new Anti Melee build, and updated some talent discussions to account for this build.
- 31 Jan. 2017 (talents page): Changed some talent recommendations for Level 4 and 7.
- 24 Nov. 2016 (talents page): Swapped Pain is Temporary and Unstoppable Competitor in talent recommendations.
- 11 Nov. 2016 (this page): Zarya rework with the new guide format.
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: April 17-18
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 10-11
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 10-11
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 3-4
- The "Grandfather" of Classic Omar Gonzalez Left Blizzard for Dreamhaven
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 3-4
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Malfurion
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Valla
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Deckard
- Heroes of the Storm Probius