Zarya Build Guide “Are you in need of personal training?”
Welcome to our guide for Zarya, a Support in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Zarya is a Support who combines protective tools with strong offensive capabilities. She has a unique Basic Attack that allows her to hit multiple enemy targets at the same time. She can cast a Shield on herself or provide a Shield to allied Heroes, get Energy based on the damage absorbed by any of her Shields, and deal additional damage based on how much Energy has been stored, however, her Energy will slowly decay over time. As a consequence, in order to play Zarya effectively, it is important to predict incoming damage to cast Shields at the right moment, a move that will allow you to maximize both damage mitigation and Energy generation.
Zarya's Strengths and Weaknesses
- High survivability
- Good damage output at high Energy
- Shields for allied Heroes
- Abilities are free
Zarya's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Shield Ally BuildRecommended
Zarya's Shield Ally Build is based on a variety of Talents that empower Shields for allied Heroes and for yourself, allowing you to counter enemy crowd control effects.
Unstoppable Competitor at Level 13 is a great tool to indirectly increase your survivability, however, you need to time Personal Barrier correctly in order to get value from it. Similarly, Cleansing Shield at Level 16 can be used to help allied Heroes who are already under crowd control effects. All that said, you can replace those Talents when appropriate.
Zarya's Synergies and Counters
A team featuring Zarya should prefer a solo laner who has enough self-sustain to not need any help from their team and survive to enemy ganks (for example Yrel) when playing on any Map and that can also double soak (such as Leoric) when playing on 3-lane Maps.
Since she does not have mobility tools, Zarya is an easy target for enemy Heroes who do not have a reliable gap closer and can crowd control her, especially if they have access to Knockback effects (such as Wrecking Ball by Garrosh) to abuse her lack of mobility even more or Sleep effects that can be used to stall the team fight for a few seconds while her Shields wear off.
Considering that her Shields expire after few seconds, Zarya struggles against Heroes who can deal a constant amount of damage (such as Raynor) as they do not rely on their Abilities that much.
The best solo laners to play against a team featuring Zarya should be able to mitigate an enemy push done by a few Heroes while the reinforcements are coming with waveclear and/or crowd control (for example Yrel).
The fact that Zarya does not use Mana is great during the early game, therefore she is a fantastic pick on Maps where a good start can make the difference between a win and a loss (notably Braxis Holdout).
If your team has a solo laner who can double soak (such as Xul), you can basically play Zarya on 3-lane Maps like when you are playing on 2-lane Maps, so just focus on a side lane and pressure the enemy team as much as you can.
Zarya's Tips and Tricks
- Particle Grenade should be fired when at high Energy to deal more damage or to interrupt enemies who are channeling an Objective.
- Personal Barrier can be used to absorb damage from Structures in order to quickly fill your Energy.
- Try to anticipate incoming damage when using Shield Ally and Personal Barrier to maximize your Energy gain.
- You can use Expulsion Zone to block an enemy Hero in a corner.
- Graviton Surge requires you to predict how enemy Heroes move, else it will miss them.
- Zarya lacks mobility, therefore it is important to have a good position when enemy Heroes are nearby or missing.
- Zarya's Basic Attacks hit all enemies in a straight line and therefore should be used to hit multiple Minions or Mercenaries when possible.
Zarya's Role in the Current Meta
Since she can provide Shields, Zarya shines against burst compositions that feature a Mage who can deal burst damage (Jaina comes to mind) and sometimes even an aggressive Melee Assassin (such as Kerrigan).
- 06 Jul. 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 06 Jul. 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 25 Feb. 2021 (talents page): New layout.
- 23 Feb. 2021 (talents page): Builds and Talent Descriptions updated.
- 23 Feb. 2021 (this page): Builds and Talent Descriptions updated.
- 16 Feb. 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 16 Feb. 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 12 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 12 Jul. 2020 (abilities page): Ability and Strategy fully revised to match new standards.
- Tips and Tricks modified to add important tips that were missing and to remove obvious ones that were not worth mentioning.
- Ability Descriptions modified to better explain how to use Abilities effectively.
- 12 Jul. 2020 (this page): Introduction fully revised to match new standards.
- Overview rewritten to better describe the Hero.
- Strengths and Weaknesses modified to give a better idea about the Hero when being played right.
- Synergies and Counters modified to mention notable Heroes that were missing and to remove misleading Heroes that were listed.
- Maps modified to focus on the main aspects of the Hero when evaluating a Map.
- Tips and Tricks modified to list important tips that were missing before and to delete more obvious ones.
- 16 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 16 Apr. 2020 (this page): Introduction partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 14 Feb. 2020 (talents page): Updated Zarya's talents and revised the guide in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 16 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added the current Anomaly (Experience Globes) to the guide.
- 20 Nov. 2019 (talents page): Applied minor changes to Zarya's talents and maps sections to keep it up to date.
- 23 May 2019 (talents page): Updated Zarya's talents and builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 24 Oct. 2017 (this page): Updated Warhead Junction ranking and removed Energy build.
- 16 Apr. 2017 (talents page): Added a new Anti Melee build, and updated some talent discussions to account for this build.
- 31 Jan. 2017 (talents page): Changed some talent recommendations for Level 4 and 7.
- 24 Nov. 2016 (talents page): Swapped Pain is Temporary and Unstoppable Competitor in talent recommendations.
- 11 Nov. 2016 (this page): Zarya rework with the new guide format.
- Mike Morhaime, Former Blizzard CEO, Responds to the Lawsuit Allegations
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Patch Notes (July 20th)
- Masters Clash Tournament Winners Are 30K
- Final Day of Masters Clash LAN Finals
- Masters Clash Finale: July 10-11
- Masters Clash Data Available on HeroesProfile
- Stukov Disabled for the Weekend
- Heroes of the Storm Debug Mode
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Lt. Morales
- Heroes of the Storm Uther
- Heroes of the Storm Warhead Junction
- Heroes of the Storm Hanamura Temple
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Heroes of the Storm General Tier List