Diablo Build Guide “Kneel before the Lord of Terror.”
Welcome to our guide for Diablo, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Diablo is an aggressive Tank. With multiple crowd control Abilities that also displace his opponents, he excels at setting up and peeling for his teammates, and punishing poor positioning. His displacement Abilities are double-edged, however, and can help opponents more than hinder them when misused.
Diablo's Strengths and Weaknesses
Diablo's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Fire Stomp BuildRecommended
Diablo's Fire Stomp Build boosts your survivability and damage output when hitting enemy Heroes with Fire Stomp. We recommend it while playing against Heroes who counter you and therefore force you to not play aggressively.
Shadow Charge BuildSituational
Basic Attacks BuildSituational
Diablo's Synergies and Counters
Since Diablo provides reliable means of initiating, it follows naturally that he would work well with Heroes that have a strong and reliable way of playing off and following up said initiating. Any Hero that Stuns, Roots or otherwise hinders the movement of intended targets is preferred, but Heroic Abilities that synergise with Apocalypse make for particularly effective combos.
As a Tank with a large amount of Health, Diablo is naturally vulnerable to Heroes that deal percent-based damage. His reliance on being able to engage to be impactful also makes him lackluster against some of the more resilient backline Assassins who have tools to avoid or otherwise nullify his Shadow Charge + Overpower combo.
In contrast, Diablo struggles on Maps lacking narrow spaces and where the Objective is surrounded by nothing but a relatively wide empty area, making it extremely easy for enemy Heroes to play around Shadow Charge.
Diablo's Tips and Tricks
- Play less aggressively right after reviving through Black Soulstone because you will not have 30% bonus maximum Health anymore.
- Fire Stomp can hit any given target up to five times in melee range.
- Use Overpower right after Shadow Charge to unconditionally move opponents towards your teammates.
- Cast Lightning Breath when you suspect you may be the target of a crowd control chain, as it makes you Unstoppable for the duration.
- Use Apocalypse right before Shadow Charge and Overpower to unconditionally Stun your target.
Diablo's Role in the Current Meta
Diablo's main strengths lie in his notorious Shadow Charge plus Overpower combo, which can unconditionally displace and control a target of his choosing, and very strong zoning Heroic Ability choices. Since his ability to waveclear, siege, and claim Mercenary Camps is limited by his low damage output, Diablo is often picked for his ability to reliably initiate and counter team compositions that rely on one key damage dealer or Healer. As Diablo is widely recognised as one of the best initiators in the game, Diablo players are expected to position aggressively and look for ganking opportunities or Heroes who are out of position all while interrupting key channeled Abilities.
- 03 Feb. 2022 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 03 Feb. 2022 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 03 Feb. 2022 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 03 Nov. 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 03 Nov. 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 10 Sep. 2021 (talents page): New layout.
- 10 Sep. 2021 (abilities page): New layout.
- 13 Aug. 2021 (this page): Maps updated.
- 20 May 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 20 May 2021 (abilities page): Builds updated.
- 20 May 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 22 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Q build re-added to recommended builds.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in the Current Meta section updated.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Descriptions reviewed for Soul Armor and Devastating Charge.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 15 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 15 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 15 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 22 May 2018 (talents page): Talents updated to account for the Diablo rework patch.
- 22 May 2018 (this page): Guide updated to account for the Diablo patch rework.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Heroic Talent assessments. Updated Shadow build.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Updated the Shadow Charge build.
- 05 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Talents updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 22 Dec. 2016 (this page): Guide updated to account for the Ragnaros patch rework and moved to the new format.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: Week of May 24th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: Week of May 17th
- Heroes of the Storm Hotfix Patch Notes: May 11th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: Week of May 10th
- Arclight Rumble Will Not Have Loot Boxes or NFTs
- Warcraft Arclight Rumble Minimum Specs, Possible 2022 Release, and No PC Port
- Warcraft Arclight Rumble Gameplay Videos
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: Week of May 3rd
- Hero XP
- Heroes of the Storm Nova
- Heroes of the Storm Lava Wave Timings
- FREE HEROES ROTATION
- Heroes of the Storm Zul'jin
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Deathwing
- Heroes of the Storm General Tier List