Diablo Build Guide “Kneel before the Lord of Terror.”
Welcome to our guide for Diablo, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Diablo is an aggressive Tank. With multiple crowd control Abilities that also displace his opponents, he excels at setting up and peeling for his teammates, and punishing poor positioning. His displacement Abilities are double-edged, however, and can help opponents more than hinder them when misused.
Diablo's Strengths and Weaknesses
Diablo's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard BuildTalent calculator »
Diablo's Synergies and Counters
Since Diablo provides reliable means of initiating, it follows naturally that he would work well with Heroes that have a strong and reliable way of playing off and following up said initiating. Any Hero that Stuns, Roots or otherwise hinders the movement of intended targets is preferred, but Heroic Abilities that synergise with Apocalypse make for particularly effective combos.
As a Tank with a large amount of Health, Diablo is naturally vulnerable to Heroes that deal percent-based damage. His reliance on being able to engage to be impactful also makes him lackluster against some of the more resilient backline Assassins who have tools to avoid or otherwise nullify his Shadow Charge + Overpower combo.
As the premiere ganker, Diablo thrives on Maps that give him ample opportunities to catch isolated Heroes or otherwise interrupt rotations. Generally, this includes Maps with Objectives that have changing locations. In contrast, Maps that have static Objectives or that require you to destroy specific Monsters are hardly desirable for Diablo, who lacks sustained damage, though cleverly exploiting terrain with Shadow Charge can make up for this weakness.
Diablo's Tips and Tricks
- Remember that after reviving through Black Soulstone, your Health pool will be 40% smaller.
- Fire Stomp can hit any given target up to five times in melee range.
- Use Overpower right after Shadow Charge to unconditionally move opponents towards your teammates.
- Cast Lightning Breath when you suspect you may be the target of a crowd control chain, as it makes you Unstoppable for the duration.
- Use Apocalypse right before Shadow Charge and Overpower to unconditionally Stun your target.
Role in the Current Meta
Note about the current Anomaly: Diablo is an excellent choice for this Anomaly, with plenty of mobility and self-sustain to reliably gather Experience Globes. Shadow Charge's Knockback can even be used to push opponents away from their own Globes to deny Experience.
Diablo's main strengths lie in his notorious Shadow Charge + Overpower combo, which can unconditionally displace and control a target of his choosing, and very strong zoning Heroic Ability choices. Since his ability to waveclewar, siege, and claim Mercenary Camps is limited by his low damage output, Diablo is often picked for his ability to reliably initiate and counter team compositions that rely on one key damage dealer or Healer. As Diablo is widely recognised as one of the best initiators in the game, Diablo players are expected to position aggressively and look for ganking opportunities or Heroes who are out of position all while interrupting key channeled Abilities.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 15 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 15 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 15 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 22 May 2018 (this page): Guide updated to account for the Diablo patch rework.
- 22 May 2018 (talents page): Talents updated to account for the Diablo rework patch.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Heroic Talent assessments. Updated Shadow build.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Updated the Shadow Charge build.
- 05 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Talents updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 22 Dec. 2016 (this page): Guide updated to account for the Ragnaros patch rework and moved to the new format.
- Blizzard Sending Out Classic Burning Crusade Character Creation Surveys
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: March 27th
- Diablo Community Manager Nevalistis Leaves Blizzard
- Lady Vashj Hype is Over For Now
- Heroic Deals: March 24th
- Blizzard Provides Staff with Care Packages During Lockdown
- 2020 Ranked Season 1 Extended By Two Weeks
- All Heroes Free to Play Until April 2nd
- Heroes of the Storm Kharazim
- Heroes of the Storm Kerrigan
- Heroes of the Storm Kael'thas
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Illidan
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Diablo
- burst thrall