Chen Build Guide “I bring Pandamonium!”
Welcome to our guide for Chen, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Chen is a sturdy melee Bruiser whose Fortifying Brew enables him to constantly shield himself. This and the fact that he has access to a variety of viable talents make him a formidable frontliner that is usually played in the solo lane. Knowing how to position yourself and when to use your abilities is particularly important when playing as Chen, since he is very susceptible to crowd control effects.
Chen's Strengths and Weaknesses
Chen's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Basic Attacks BuildRecommended
Chen's Basic Attacks Build focus on increasing his damage as much as possible, mostly by empowering his Basic Attacks. Paired with his good survivability, the additional damage allows Chen to take down valuable enemy Heroes with little to no help from his team.
Chen's Synergies and Counters
It is hard to find Heroes that truly synergize well with Chen, since his kit focuses so much on himself, rather than enabling others. Still, there are crowd control heavy Heroes like Jaina or Kel'Thuzad who benefit from all the distraction a well played Chen can cause. Furthermore, thanks to Chen's reliable Movement Speed slow effects, Heroes like Greymane can chase down fleeing opponents very easily.
Chen's greatest weakness is any form of crowd control that interrupts his Fortifying Brew. As such, Stun-heavy Warriors like Muradin or Johanna prove to be quite the challenge. A different kind of threat are Heroes like Varian, who gain access to shield destroying talents, such as Shattering Throw, which greatly reduce Fortifying Brew's protection.
Chen is an extremely potent Solo Laner, which means he can hold his own very well in a one-versus-one situation. Consequently, he becomes a valuable asset on maps like Battlefield of Eternity or Braxis Holdout. Due to his kit and unique playstyle, he does not really have a weak map with the only exception being Warhead Junction. There, other Tanks and/or Bruisers like Dehaka or E.T.C. should usually be considered first.
Chen's Tips and Tricks
- Flying Kick can be used on enemy Structures as well, which makes it a great ability to leap over Walls, Forts, or Towers.
- Remember that Keg Smash can also be used defensively to slow down engaging enemies.
- When Storm, Earth, Fire expires, Chen returns to pre-cast health value. If all three Spirits die, so does Chen.
- Fortifying Brew can be used to minimize the damage-over-time taken from Stagger.
Chen's Role in the Current Meta
Due to Chen's outstanding dueling capabilities, we see him as a strong pick in the current Anomaly. His oppresive kit can, if played well, prevent enemy solo laners from picking up Experience Globes.
Chen is a volatile Bruiser, usually played in the solo lane, where he can hold his own against almost any other Hero in the game. His abilities each come with both great advantages and disadvantages. Firstly, his ability to shield himself every 7 seconds using Fortifying Brew makes Chen incredibly hard to take down, however, it also forces him to remain frozen in place while drinking.
Finally, Chen's Heroic Ability Storm, Earth, Fire provides him with a lot of extra survivability and mobility, yet it can be interrupted quite easily if used too recklessly.
All in all, after gaining some experience on Chen's mechanics, we think the Hero can have tremendous impact in team fights, while being one of the strongest and safest solo laners available.
- 09 Apr. 2020 (this page): Introduction partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 09 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 23 Jan. 2020 (talents page): Revised Chen's Guide due to the new Balance Update and found that no updates needed to be made for now. We'll keep an eye on Chen's further development.
- 09 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (abilities page): Guide reviewed.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Revised the guide and found it was still on par with the latest Balance Update.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (this page): Guide reviewed.
- 17 Jun. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Chen's abilities in accordance with the latest Hero Rework.
- 17 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Completely overhauled and updated Chen's talents and builds in accordance with the recent Hero Rework.
- 07 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Updated Chen's talents and builds.
- 22 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated Chen's talents in accordance to the latest balance update.
- 30 Aug. 2017 (this page): Updated Chen and moved guide to new format.
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: June 3rd
- World First Diablo 2 + LoD Speed Run in Under 1 Hour
- Diablo 2 Remaster? A "Classic Revival" to Be Announced at IGN Summer
- BlizzCon 2020 Cancelled, New Plans Being Worked On
- Call for Help Nexus Anomaly Feedback Wanted
- Haunted Mines Soundtrack Drum Cover
- Greek Gods Skin Concepts: Messenger Kharazim & Hades Ragnaros
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: May 6th
- Did you stop playing after the e-sports cancellation?
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes with Self-Healing
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Cassia
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar