Chen Build Guide “I bring Pandamonium!”
Welcome to our guide for Chen, a Melee Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Chen's Overview
Chen is a sturdy melee Warrior whose Fortifying Brew enables him to constantly shield himself. This and the fact that he has access to a variety of viable talents make him a formidable frontliner that can be played as a Tank or a Bruiser. Knowing how to position yourself and when to use your abilities is particularly important when playing as Chen, since he is very susceptible to crowd control effects.
2. Chen's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Fortifying Brew absorbs a lot of damage
- Quite mobile thanks to Flying Kick
- Very strong laner
- Storm, Earth, Fire can be used both offensively and defensively
- Wandering Keg requires much practice, but proves to be a great ability to break the enemy team's formation and isolate targets
- Fantastic talent diversity
3. Chen's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Bruiser BuildTalent calculator »
The Bruiser Build is Chen's standard go-to Build, since it comes with a very well-rounded kit that should prepare you well for most game situations. Feel free to pick Wandering Keg instead of Storm, Earth, Fire, especially if the enemy team relies heavily on hard engaging Warriors and melee Assassins, such as Illidan, Anub'arak, or E.T.C. to protect your backline more efficiently.
Anti Mage BuildTalent calculator »
As the name suggests, the Anti Mage Build is specifically designed to deal with heavy ability damage based compositions. As such, we recommend it against Mage Assassins like Jaina, Kael'thas, or Li-Ming. Although Chen becomes very resilient to enemy abilities thanks to Purifying Brew at Level 7, it is still recommended to not overextend and get reckless with this Build. Know your limits and wait for the right moment before engaging deep into the enemy team's backline.
4. Chen's Synergies and Counters
It is hard to find Heroes that truly synergize well with Chen, since his kit focuses so much on himself, rather than enabling others. Still, there are crowd control heavy Heroes like Jaina or Kel'Thuzad who benefit from all the distraction a well played Chen can cause. Furthermore, thanks to Chen's reliable Movement Speed slow effects, Heroes like Greymane can chase down fleeing opponents very easily.
Chen's greatest weakness is any form of crowd control that interrupts his Fortifying Brew. As such, Stun-heavy Warriors like Muradin or Johanna prove to be quite the challenge. A different kind of threat are Heroes like Varian, who gain access to shield destroying talents, such as Shattering Throw which greatly reduce Fortifying Brew's protection.
5. Chen's Maps
Chen is an extremely potent Solo Laner, which means he can hold his own very well in a one-versus-one situation. Consequently, he becomes a valuable asset on maps like Battlefield of Eternity or Braxis Holdout. Due to his kit and unique playstyle he does not really have a weak map with the only exception being Warhead Junction. There, other Warriors like Dehaka or E.T.C. should usually be considered first.
6. Chen's Tips and Tricks
- Due to the way his ressource, "Brew", and his abilities work, Chen has an ideal skill rotation, meaning you should use abilities in a fix sequence in order to increase their efficiency: Flying Kick → Keg Smash → Breath of Fire → Fortifying Brew.
- Flying Kick can be used on enemy Structures as well, which makes it a great ability to leap over Walls, Forts, or Towers.
- Remember that Keg Smash can also be used defensively to slow down engaging enemies.
- When Storm, Earth, Fire expires, Chen returns to pre-cast health value. If all three Spirits die, so does Chen.
7. Chen's Role in the Current Meta
Chen is a volatile Warrior whose abilities each come with both great advantages and disadvantages. Firstly, his ability to shield himself every 5 seconds using Fortifying Brew makes Chen incredibly hard to take down, however, it also forces him to remain frozen in place while drinking.
Thirdly, Keg Smash and Breath of Fire work very well if used combined, however, they are underwhelming abilities individually. Ultimately, Chen's Heroic Ability Storm, Earth, Fire provides him with a lot of extra survivability and mobility, yet it can be interrupted quite easily and remains a rather weak Heroic Ability in terms of raw damage output.
- 22 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated Chen's talents in accordance to the latest balance update.
- 30 Aug. 2017 (this page): Updated Chen and moved guide to new format.
- Heroes of the Storm Sylvanas
- Heroes of the Storm Stitches
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Laptop charger disconnecting when playing HOTS
- Heroes of the Storm Alexstrasza
- Heroes of the Storm Artanis