Sgt. Hammer Build Guide “Napalm's airborne!”
Welcome to our guide for Sgt. Hammer, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Sgt. Hammer's Overview
Sgt. Hammer is a ranged Specialist that excels at dealing large amounts of sustained damage from a very long range. Her unique playstyle, relative lack of mobility, and her fragility mean that her allies must adopt a patient playstyle in order to get the most out of her.
Sgt. Hammer's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Exceedingly dependent on proper positioning
- Vulnerable to Assassins
- Vulnerable to crowd control
- Very limited out-of-combat mobility due to not having a regular Mount
- Limited team fighting utility
- Peculiar playstyle around which your team must play
Sgt. Hammer's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard BuildTalent calculator »
This standard build maximises the usefulness of Spider Mines to make it difficult for melee Heroes to initiate against Sgt. Hammer. This build ultimately forces your opponents to decide between attacking you on your own terms—protected by Mines—and ignoring you, allowing you to deliver long-ranged Basic Attacks freely.
Sgt. Hammer's Synergies and Counters
Since Sgt. Hammer needs to stand still to get the most out of her Abilities, she is naturally vulnerable to Heroes that use dangerous skillshots, particularly those that can displace her.
Sgt. Hammer's Maps
Sgt. Hammer's static nature makes her thrive on Maps with fixed Objectives that allows her to threaten Heroes from range. Conversely, she tends to be of limited usefulness where quick group rotations are required.
Sgt. Hammer's Tips and Tricks
- Be careful with Siege Mode; although its damage increase may be tempting, it also leaves you very vulnerable to area of effect Abilities.
- Use Thrusters sparingly; they are your only reliable method of escaping opponents.
- Sgt. Hammer's low Mana costs allow you to use Spider Mines on-Cooldown to protect your flanks. Keep them away from Minions to preserve them.
- Concussive Blast deals very little damage; use it to push enemies away from you or teammates.
- Neosteel Plating should be used to avoid Ability-based burst damage such as an impending Pyroblast hit.
- Napalm Strike is useful for quickly checking Brushes, dismounting or Revealing opponents, and clearing Zagara's Creep Tumors.
Role in the Current Meta
Although classified as a Specialist, Sgt. Hammer plays like an Assassin; her primary goal is to inflict damage to whatever is in sight. The main difference between her and regular Assassins, however, is that she does not possess a regular Mount, greatly limiting her Map presence. The trade-off is that she has Thrusters, which innately grant her a strong and very useful but Cooldown-gated speed boost. She can also enter Siege Mode, which makes her unable to move but nearly doubles her attack range. This makes her, as the Ability's name implies, an excellent sieger.
Since Heroes of the Storm is a game that is defined by the rotations that its various map objectives call for, having such an immobile Hero as part of any team composition requires very specific adaptations from the part of any team that is willing to pick her. Sgt. Hammer players must also be very critical of their own ability to predict necessary rotations ahead of time, so that they are rarely out of position and unable to assist their teammates.
In general, Sgt. Hammer simply does well against team compositions that lack hard-engages, and as part of teams that can properly protect her, allowing her to freely decimate her foes and safely take down Structures.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 28 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Talents updated to reflect July 25 balance patch changes.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Siege build.
- 01 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Added talent discussions.
- 30 Nov. 2017 (this page): Guide fully updated to account for the Hero's rework and moved to the new format.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: November 19th
- Diablo 2 Remaster Unlikely - Code and Assets Were Lost According to Creators
- Upcoming Content Release Schedule (Deathwing & Balance Update)
- Diablo 2 Cinematics Upscaled to 4K and 8K
- Heroic Deals: November 12th
- Heroes of the Storm Hotfixes: November 12th
- D.Va Rework Not Coming in the Deathwing Patch
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: November 12th
- Heroes of the Storm Malthael
- Heroes of the Storm Sgt. Hammer
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Li-Ming
- Heroes of the Storm Kel'Thuzad
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers