Uther Build Guide “I will fight with honor!”
Welcome to our guide for Uther, a Healer in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Uther is a melee Support Hero. His strongest points are his burst healing, reliable crowd control, and flexible Heroic Ability choices. Although relatively resilient for a Healer, the short range of his Abilities requires him to position himself relatively close to his frontline. Furthermore, his Mana costs are prohibitive for extended fights.
Uther's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Very low damage output
- Poor Mana efficiency
- Weak waveclear
Uther's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard BuildTalent calculator »
Uther's Synergies and Counters
Uther's high instantaneous healing and reliable means of providing Armor make him particularly potent with aggressive melee Heroes that can provide their own self-sustain but may otherwise need help against burst damage. Furthermore, Divine Shield enables some of the game's most dangerous combos by allowing certain Heroes to go "all out" without fear of retaliation.
Although not particularly vulnerable to any specific Hero himself, Uther tends to struggle against sustained damage, particularly over an area of effect, as his healing is powerful, but ultimately inefficient. His sub-par waveclear can also be problematic if your team composition does not make up for this weakness somewhere else.
Uther's main weaknesses lie in his lack of reliable area of effect healing and poor Mana efficiency. As such, he tends to do poorly on Maps that involve either sustained poke battles or team fights that occur in small choke points.
Uther's Tips and Tricks
- Holy Light is expensive and has a long Cooldown; use it sparingly, and against targets currently being focused down.
- Holy Radiance is an effective way of applying Devotion's Armor-granting effect to several allies at once, including oneself.
- Use Hammer of Justice against high-priority targets that must be crowd controlled or have crowd control on them that is about to expire.
- Divine Shield has broadly different offensive and defensive uses; pay attention to your enemy's and your own team compositions to find out who the aggressor should be.
- Divine Storm should be used along Hammer of Justice to lock down key targets for an extended period of time. Space out using the two Abilities to make the most out of their stun duration.
- Death is not the end for Uther; remember to use Devotion to heal allies even after falling in battle yourself. Your sacrifice may even be worthwhile should you be out of Mana...
Role In The Current Meta
Note about the current Anomaly: As a healer, Uther's role is to ensure his teammates remain healthy enough to gather Experience Globes. Enemy Globes also open up a good opportunity to target opponents with Hammer of Justice. Uther's relative resilience and self-sustain also allow him to gather Globes in a pinch, although it is generally better for pure tanks to do it.
Uther is a solid Support Hero that can find a place in most team compositions, but not on most Maps, due to his main weakness of having a limited Mana pool to work with. Besides healing, Uther provides a reliable stun, Hammer of Justice, which is highly useful for initiating, following up, and peeling. Divine Storm, as a Heroic ability choice, provides similar utility over a large area of effect and on a longer Cooldown.
Uther is notable for his ability to protect a single-target from certain death; Holy Light provides some of the highest instant healing in the game, while the Armor provided by Devotion, the cleansing effect of Hand of Protection, and notably, the total invulnerability provided by Divine Shield all situationally neuter burst-reliant team compositions.
- 15 Feb. 2020 (talents page): Talents reviewed following February 12 patch changes.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Radiance build.
- 28 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Reviewed assessments of Level 4 and Level 13 talents.
- 29 Apr. 2017 (talents page): Well Met is now situational (was not recommended before).
- 27 Apr. 2017 (talents page): Updated page to include talent discussions.
- 26 Apr. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for the Genji patch and moved to new format.
- 13 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated.
- Weekly Brawl - Silver City: February 13th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch: February 12th
- Heroic Deals: February 11th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: February 11th
- Weekly Brawl - Braxis Outpost: February 7th
- The Current State of the Heroes of the Storm A.I.
- Blizzard President J. Allen Brack on Warcraft III Reforged Launch
- Activision Blizzard Q4 2019 Earnings Call: Diablo Immortal Testing in Mid-2020, WoW Sub Growth
- Heroes of the Storm Diablo
- burst thrall
- Heroes of the Storm Imperius
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- My vision Yrel for qm and non-high legaue.
- Heroes of the Storm Li-Ming
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto