Uther Build Guide “I will fight with honor!”
Welcome to our guide for Uther, a Healer in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Uther is a Healer whose strongest points are his single-target burst healing and reliable crowd control, but his Mana costs are prohibitive for extended team fights and the inability to keep multiple allied Heroes healthy.
Uther's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Strong burst healing
- When healing allied Heroes, provides Armor to them
- Reliable crowd control
- High healing output right after dying (see Devotion)
Uther's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Hammer of Justice BuildRecommended
Uther's Hammer of Justice Build increases your crowd control by a considerable amount, allowing you to peel for your team during team fights.
Hammer of the Lightbringer at Level 1 and Well Met at Level 13 are great together as they empower each other: the Slow provided by the latter makes you Basic Attack more while the cooldown reduction given by the former makes you Stun more.
Uther's Hybrid Build features various offensive and utility Talents that can be used to damage and crowd control opponents.
The combination of Holy Shock at Level 4 and Silver Touch at Level 1 is useful for dismounting enemy Heroes, especially Tanks that are trying to engage.
Holy Light BuildSituational
Uther's Holy Light Build gives a considerable boost to your healing power and survivability in the late game in the form of sustain healing for your teammates and burst healing for yourself.
The synergy between Beacon of Light at Level 16 and Blessed Champion at Level 13 allows you to go from low to high Health with a single Holy Light cast and few Basic Attacks. Basic Attacks will also heal nearby allied Heroes.
Uther's Synergies and Counters
Uther's high instantaneous healing and reliable means of providing Armor make him particularly potent with aggressive melee Heroes that can provide their own self-sustain but may otherwise need help against burst damage. You can get even more value from Armor by pairing Uther with a sustain Healer (such as Malfurion).
Divine Shield enables some of the game's most dangerous combos by allowing certain Heroes to play aggressively without fear of retaliation (for example Kerrigan). Similarly, it can be used to protect channeled Abilities (notably Mosh Pit by E.T.C.) from enemy interrupts.
Although not particularly vulnerable to any specific Hero himself, Uther tends to struggle against sustain damage, particularly over an area of effect, as his healing is powerful, but ultimately inefficient. His sub-par waveclear can also be problematic if your team composition does not make up for this weakness somewhere else.
Thanks to his burst healing, Uther prefers Maps where it is possible to secure the Objective after winning a quick team fight (such as Infernal Shrines) and that always get to the late game when he can shine more.
Due to his poor Mana efficiency and lack of area of effect healing, Uther does not perform well on Maps that involve long battles that expose his team to poke damage, especially during the early game (such as Braxis Holdout).
Uther's Tips and Tricks
- Having high cooldown and Mana cost, Holy Light should preferably be used to save allied Heroes currently being focused down.
- Considering it pierces, Holy Radiance gives more value when used to hit multiple allied and/or enemy Heroes at the same time.
- Use Hammer of Justice on high-priority targets to help your team kill them and/or on dangerous enemy Heroes to peel for your team.
- Although being a powerful saving tool, Divine Shield truly shines when used to enable an allied Hero with high damage output to play aggressively.
- Divine Storm, in conjuction with Hammer of Justice, can be used to lock an enemy Hero in place for almost 3 seconds.
- Ideally, once all your Abilities are on cooldown, you should position as aggressively as possible and hope to be killed in order to heal your teammates with Devotion.
Uther's Role in the Current Meta
Uther is a Healer that can give Armor to any allied Hero and save them from huge amounts of burst damage. Besides helping the team with healing and defensive tools, Uther provides a considerable amount of crowd control that can be used to engage, follow up, or peel.
Considering that his power comes at the cost of high Mana consumption, avoid drafting Uther as solo Healer when you expect prolonged team fights, when sustain healing is important to keep your team alive, else you will not be able to handle the enemy poke and sustain damage.
In addition to being played as solo Healer, Uther can also be played alongside another Healer to make up for his lack of sustain healing and huge Mana consumption. In those cases, he will be played as Support, in the Flex slot of the draft composition (meaning that you will have only one Ranged Assassin).
Although he used to be occasionally played as Tank in the past, the fact Uther now gets 15 rather than 25 Armor from Devotion means he is way easier to take down. In coordinated play you may see him being deployed as an enabler for unconventional Tank replacements (for example Kerrigan or Maiev), but no longer as main Tank.
Last but not the least, we do not recommend playing Uther as Offlaner because he lacks waveclear and he struggles to defend Mercenary Camps as well. Doing this would be a huge weakness for your team composition, even on 2-lane Maps.
- 22 May 2022 (talents page): Guide improved.
- 22 May 2022 (abilities page): Guide improved.
- 22 May 2022 (this page): Guide improved.
- 17 May 2021 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Patch.
- 17 May 2021 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Patch.
- 17 May 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Patch.
- 29 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 29 Mar. 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 25 Feb. 2021 (talents page): New layout.
- 25 Feb. 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 21 Feb. 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 21 Feb. 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 14 Dec. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 14 Dec. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 13 Dec. 2020 (talents page): Talent Descriptions fixed.
- 29 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 29 Oct. 2020 (this page): Builds and Maps updated.
- 26 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 26 Oct. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 09 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 09 Oct. 2020 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 09 Oct. 2020 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 19 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 19 Sep. 2020 (abilities page): Minor fixes.
- 19 Sep. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 22 Jun. 2020 (talents page): Talent descriptions updated.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent descriptions and recommendations updated.
- 15 Feb. 2020 (talents page): Talents reviewed following February 12 patch changes.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Radiance build.
- 28 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Reviewed assessments of Level 4 and Level 13 Talents.
- 29 Apr. 2017 (talents page): Well Met is now situational (was not recommended before).
- 27 Apr. 2017 (talents page): Updated page to include Talent discussions.
- 26 Apr. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for the Genji patch and moved to new format.
- 13 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated.
More Healer Guides
- BlizzCon 2023 in Coming on Nov 3-4
- Icy Veins is Getting a New Look
- Activision Blizzard Announces First Quarter 2023 Financial Results
- BlizzCon 2023 Update by Blizzard President Mike Ybarra
- A Misunderstanding May Have Been the Cause of Activision Blizzard Games Not Being Available in China
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- Howe accurate is hotslogs/heroesprofile hidden QM MMR?
- Heroes of the Storm Probius
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Connection Lost Constantly
- Heroes of the Storm Wandering Keg