Zagara Build Guide “The Swarm hungers.”
Welcome to our guide for Zagara, a Ranged Specialist in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Zagara's Overview
Zagara is a long ranged specialist who draws support from her seemingly endless brood to wreak havoc on her opponents. Creep Tumor is by far her strongest ability, providing not only buffs to several of her attributes including attack range and movement speed, but also supplying precious vision throughout the Battleground. Zagara is capable of tearing down enemy defenses from afar and when left alone for even a small duration will turn the strongest enemy fortifications into nothing more than heaps of rubble.
2. Zagara's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Zagara's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Split Push BuildTalent calculator »
Larger maps with multiple objective locations (Cursed Hollow, Sky Temple, Garden of Terror, Infernal Shrines) tend to favor the Split Push Build where Zagara may take advantage of distracting moments of opportunity for the enemy team. Baneling Barrage should be used for waveclear and to quickly deal massive amounts of damage to enemy structures. Zagara should constantly rotate around the Battleground via Nydus Network to maximize the amount time she can effectively splitpush. Keep in mind that it will be much more difficult to effectively play the Split Push Build if they enemy team contains a high burst damage assassin Hero such as Zeratul or Nova. Heroes like these will frustratingly spend most of the match hunting down and picking off Zagara when she is overextended.
Team Fight BuildTalent calculator »
The Team Fight Build is designed to give Zagara the most effective blend of damage and utility in matches where crossing paths with enemy Heroes is frequent and unavoidable. Use Infested Drop as often as possible to harass opponents and allow the spawned Roaches to provide vision and block certain enemy skillshots. Hunter Killer is Zagara's primary source of damage and (when possible) should be saved for the team's target of focusfire. Be patient when looking to cast Devouring Maw. Most often, Zagara should engage the enemy team with her other abilities and Basic Attacks, and use Devouring Maw when the opportunity arises. Try to consume multiple enemy Heroes by keeping note of their positioning and striking when they are grouped too closely together.
4. Zagara's Synergies and Counters
5. Zagara's Maps
Zagara tends to be a viable Hero pick on most maps due to her vast build diversity. Larger maps with multiple objective locations (Cursed Hollow, Sky Temple, Garden of Terror, Infernal Shrines) tend to favor a split pushing build where Zagara can take advantage of distracting moments of opportunity for the enemy team. Maps that are smaller such as Tomb of the Spider Queen and Towers of Doom make it much more difficult for Zagara to sneak away to push lanes and destroy defenses, although it is not impossible. On these Battlegrounds some players might consider going for a build that revolves around team fighting and applying massive amounts of sustained damage to enemy Heroes.
6. Zagara's Tips and Tricks
- Baneling Barrage should be used primarily for waveclear as to conserve valuable mana.
- Use Hunter Killer to zone enemies from team fights or lane.
- Always use Infested Drop when it is available to deal damage safely and provide vision. Infested Drop can also be used to tank Mercenary Camps and interrupt channeling of objectives (like Tributes on Cursed Hollow).
- Do not try to force Devouring Maw and instead wait for enemies to come into range.
- Place Nydus Worms provided by Nydus Network in spots clear of heavy foot-traffic as to prevent them from being immediately destroyed.
- Always use all available Creep Tumors. Place them inside bushes and at other out-of-the-way locations to prevent the enemy from accidentally destroying them with AoE abilities.
7. Role in the Current Meta
When fighting on a widespread area of creep, Zagara is unexpectedly a phenomenal duelist. The attack range and movement speed provided by Creep Tumor combined with the relentless single target damage of Hunter Killer makes Zagara quite the bully. She is easily able to kite enemies in pursuit of her as well as chase those down who may have regretfully overstepped their boundary. The vision that Creep Tumor provides is extremely powerful, especially on maps like Tomb of the Spider Queen and Sky Temple, where Heroes are constantly roaming to gank. This vision allows her to safely harass opponents without fear of being ambushed unexpectedly. She is also able to safely stop the channeling of map objectives on maps like Cursed Hollow and Blackheart's Bay by casting a single charge of Baneling Barrage or Infested Drop. Assuming it was talented for, a well placed Devouring Maw on multiple enemy Heroes may win a fight by itself, as it allows your allies to follow up with devastating AoE combos.
Aside from the movement speed boost provided by creep, Zagara's kit lacks any sort of reliable gap-closer. However this does not prevent her from creating an almost unparalleled global presence when talenting for Nydus Network in conjunction with Endless Creep. This can be used to create pressure almost anywhere on the map, forcing enemy teams to have to make a constant choice between losing precious objectives or their own defenses.
- 13 Dec. 2017 (abilities page): All mention of a Structure's Ammo has been removed.
- 11 Nov. 2016 (this page): Moved guide to new format.
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #38
- Upcoming Changes to Shards & Loot Boxes in Heroes of the Storm
- Heroic Deals: March 19th
- Chromie & Lucio Rework: A List of All Abilities & Talents
- Heroes Blue Posts: March 19th
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: March 18th
- Heroes of the Storm Update: Revamped Hero Roles
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: March 19th
- Fever Clan is looking for more players!
- Heroes of the Storm Rexxar
- Heroes of the Storm The Lost Vikings
- Heroes of the Storm Ana
- Heroes of the Storm Leoric
- Heroes of the Storm Fenix
- Heroes of the Storm Tychus
- Heroes of the Storm D.Va