Zagara Build Guide “The Swarm hungers.”
Welcome to our guide for Zagara, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Zagara is a long-ranged Assassin who relies on Zerg summons to wreak havoc on her opponents. Creep Tumor is a strong ability, providing not only buffs to several of her attributes, including attack range and movement speed, but also supplying precious vision throughout the Battleground. Zagara is capable of tearing down enemy defenses from afar and, when left alone for even a small duration, will turn the strongest enemy fortifications into nothing more than heaps of rubble.
Zagara's Strengths and Weaknesses
Zagara's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Infested Drop BuildRecommended
Baneling Barrage BuildSituational
Zagara's Synergies and Counters
Zagara tends to be a viable Hero pick on most maps due to her vast build diversity. Larger maps with multiple objective locations (such as Cursed Hollow, Sky Temple, or Infernal Shrines) tend to favor a split pushing build where Zagara can take advantage of distracting moments of opportunity for the enemy team. Maps that are smaller such as Tomb of the Spider Queen and Towers of Doom make it much more difficult for Zagara to sneak away to push lanes and destroy defenses, although it is not impossible. On these Battlegrounds some players might consider going for a build that revolves around team fighting and applying massive amounts of sustained damage to enemy Heroes.
Zagara's Tips and Tricks
- Baneling Barrage should be used primarily for waveclear to conserve valuable mana.
- When using Baneling Barrage on Minion Waves, try using it from a 90 degree angle. Aim at the Wizard Minion to maximize splash damage.
- Use Hunter Killer to zone enemies from team fights or lane.
- Always use Infested Drop when it is available to deal damage safely and provide vision. Infested Drop can also be used to tank Mercenary Camps and interrupt channeling of objectives (like Tributes on Cursed Hollow).
- Do not try to force Devouring Maw and instead wait for enemies to come into range.
- Place Nydus Worms provided by Nydus Network in spots clear of heavy foot-traffic to prevent them from being immediately destroyed.
- Always use all available Creep Tumors. Place them inside bushes and at other out-of-the-way locations to prevent the enemy from accidentally destroying them with AoE abilities.
Role in the Current Meta
When fighting on a widespread area of Creep Tumor, Zagara is a powerful duelist and bully thanks to the Attack Range and Movement Speed provided combined with the relentless single-target damage of Hunter Killer. She is easily able to kite enemies in pursuit of her as well as chase those down who may have regretfully overstepped their boundary.
The vision that Creep Tumor provides is extremely powerful to play around enemy ganks, the best way to counter her when she goes in the enemy part of the battlefield to get value from her pushing power.
- 26 Oct. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 26 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 05 Jun. 2020 (abilities page): Descriptions changed according to the latest Balance Update.
- 05 Jun. 2020 (talents page): Descriptions changed according to the latest Balance Update.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (this page): Introduction partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 19 Dec. 2019 (talents page): Revised Zagara's guide. No talent changes needed to be applied despite the most recent Balance Update.
- 16 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added the current Anomaly (Experience Globes) to the guide.
- 25 Nov. 2019 (talents page): We are currently evaluating Zagara's talent changes and will apply further updates on her guide in the very near future. Added Jagged Barbs as Recommended for the time being.
- 02 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Revised and updated the entire build guide including talents and builds.
- 02 Oct. 2019 (this page): Revised and updated the entire build guide including talents and builds.
- 02 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Revised and updated the entire build guide including talents and builds.
- 13 Dec. 2017 (abilities page): All mention of a Structure's Ammo has been removed.
- 11 Nov. 2016 (this page): Moved guide to new format.
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: November 23
- New Hero Teaser: November 22nd
- New Hero Teaser: November 21st
- A Call to Strike on Blizzard France Employees on Shadowlands Launch Day
- Blizzard Selling Face Masks on Gear Store
- The Blizzard Gear Fest Has Begun!
- BlizzConline 2021 Will Be Free to Watch!
- David Kim, Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer Moves to WoW
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Sonya
- Taunt Varian now has the most HP in the game
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe