Zagara Build Guide “The Swarm hungers.”
Welcome to our guide for Zagara, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Zagara is a Ranged Assassin who relies on Zerg summons to wreak havoc on her opponents. Creep Tumor is a strong ability, providing not only buffs to several of her attributes, including attack range and movement speed, but also supplying precious vision throughout the Battleground. Zagara is capable of tearing down enemy defenses from afar and, when left alone for even a small duration, will turn the strongest enemy fortifications into nothing more than heaps of rubble.
Zagara's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Excellent long range, sustain damage
- Great waveclear
- Strong sieging power
- Creep Tumor provides a massive amount of vision throughout the entire battlefield
- Able to solo Mercenary Camps with ease
- Quite vulnerable to crowd control
- Zero mobility, except on Creep
- Mana hungry
- Low burst damage
- Her only form of hard crowd control is Devouring Maw
Zagara's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Infested Drop BuildRecommended
Zagara's Infested Drop Build allows you to deal a solid amount of damage in team fights, especially in the late game against Heroes who have high maximum Health.
In particular, Corpse Feeders at Level 1 and Bile Drop at Level 7 boost the already good damage output of Corrosive Saliva at Level 16.
Nydus Network BuildSituational
Zagara's Nydus Network Build primarily improves your damage to enemy Structures, to quickly take them down when safe to do so. Split-pushing works best on large 3-lane Maps, when the enemy team does not have scary Heroes capable of suddenly ganking you.
The fact that Nydus Network turns Zagara into a global puts a lot of pressure on the enemy team as they will have to constantly check if you are going to siege or team fight. Coordinate with the rest of your team to avoid being outnumbered.
Zagara's Synergies and Counters
Due to her lack of mobility, Zagara is best when paired with one or two Tanks who can provide her a strong frontline. Those with reliable crowd-control can also set up devastating combos with Zagara's Devouring Maw.
Zagara is particularly good on larger Maps with multiple Objective locations (such as Sky Temple), when she can take advantage of distracted enemy Heroes to split-push uncontested, sometimes even with the help of Nydus Network.
Maps that are smaller (such as Tomb of the Spider Queen) make it much more difficult for Zagara to split-push. In those situations, Zagara can still be a great lane bully in the early game and a powerful damage dealer in the late game, thanks to Talents.
Zagara's Tips and Tricks
- Baneling Barrage should be used primarily for waveclear to conserve valuable mana.
- When using Baneling Barrage on Minion Waves, try using it from a 90 degree angle. Aim at the Wizard Minion to maximize splash damage.
- Use Hunter Killer to zone enemies from team fights or lane.
- Always use Infested Drop when it is available to deal damage safely and provide vision. Infested Drop can also be used to tank Mercenary Camps and interrupt channeling of objectives (like Tributes on Cursed Hollow).
- Do not try to force Devouring Maw and instead wait for enemies to come into range.
- Place Nydus Worms provided by Nydus Network in spots clear of heavy foot-traffic to prevent them from being immediately destroyed.
- Always use all available Creep Tumors. Place them inside bushes and at other out-of-the-way locations to prevent the enemy from accidentally destroying them with AoE abilities.
Zagara's Role in the Current Meta
Zagara is currently played as solo laner to dominate the early game against most enemy Heroes unless ganked.
When fighting on a widespread area of Creep Tumor, Zagara is a powerful duelist and bully thanks to the Attack Range and Movement Speed provided combined with the relentless single-target damage of Hunter Killer. She is easily able to kite enemies in pursuit of her as well as chase those down who may have regretfully overstepped their boundary.
The vision that Creep Tumor provides is extremely powerful to play around enemy ganks, the best way to counter her when she goes in the enemy part of the battlefield to get value from her pushing power.
- 12 Mar. 2022 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 12 Mar. 2022 (this page): Builds updated.
- 28 Sep. 2021 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 28 Sep. 2021 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 28 Sep. 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 30 Aug. 2021 (this page): Builds updated.
- 30 Aug. 2021 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 20 Aug. 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 20 Aug. 2021 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 24 Jul. 2021 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 24 Jul. 2021 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 24 Jul. 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 25 Feb. 2021 (talents page): New layout.
- 26 Oct. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 26 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 05 Jun. 2020 (abilities page): Descriptions changed according to the latest Balance Update.
- 05 Jun. 2020 (talents page): Descriptions changed according to the latest Balance Update.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (this page): Introduction partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 14 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 19 Dec. 2019 (talents page): Revised Zagara's guide. No talent changes needed to be applied despite the most recent Balance Update.
- 16 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added the current Anomaly (Experience Globes) to the guide.
- 25 Nov. 2019 (talents page): We are currently evaluating Zagara's talent changes and will apply further updates on her guide in the very near future. Added Jagged Barbs as Recommended for the time being.
- 02 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Revised and updated the entire build guide including talents and builds.
- 02 Oct. 2019 (this page): Revised and updated the entire build guide including talents and builds.
- 02 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Revised and updated the entire build guide including talents and builds.
- 13 Dec. 2017 (abilities page): All mention of a Structure's Ammo has been removed.
- 11 Nov. 2016 (this page): Moved guide to new format.
More Ranged Assassin Guides
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players
- NetEase Responds to Blizzard Licensing Agreement Expiration
- Most Blizzard Game Services to Be Suspended in China on January 23rd
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Connection Lost Constantly
- Heroes of the Storm Wandering Keg
- Heroes of the Storm Garden of Terror
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar