Greymane Build Guide “I am the alpha!”
Welcome to our guide for Greymane, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Greymane is a ranged Assassin that thrives on aggression. With an unusual ability to transform into a melee Hero to temporarily reveal a different set of Abilities, Greymane offers unparalleled versatility in terms of damage-dealing. His lack of defensive Abilities and Talents and limited utility, however, may spell his downfall... in the hands of an unprepared player.
Greymane's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Offers zero utility beyond raw damage
- Low survivability albeit having a reasonably-sized Health pool
- Particularly weak when playing "from behind"
Greymane's Talent Build Cheatsheet
The Attack Build revolves around improving Greymane's Basic Attacks and sustained damage output. Although it provides less waveclear and burst damage than its counterpart, it provides Greymane with more consistent sustained damage.
Executioner greatly increases Greymane's damage, and should be the pick in most games where you have any kind of crowd control. If you do not have many Abilities to trigger Executioner in your team, Alpha Killer is a great option for more power in teamfights, while Eager Wolf is better in the PvE.
As the name suggests, Worgen Build is totally focused on dealing high damage as a Worgen. This build may not have the reliability provided by Quicksilver Bullets, but it has a much better kill potential and higher burst damage in melee form.
Considering this build has several Talents that require Greymane to play as Worgen in fights, it is much riskier to use. We do not recommend using this Build against Team Compositions with good single target damage and several crowd control tools to punish you. Otherwise, this build provides an excellent chase potential, dive capability, and a good way to dodge skillshots with Unfettered Assault.
Greymane's Synergies and Counters
Greymane's excellent damage output scales well with anything that might improve his Attacks or give him extra resistance during Worgen form. Otherwise, strong initiation and team fight presence goes a long way to opening windows of opportunity for him to pick off Heroes that are out of position. He also has a good synergy with Malthael, as Cursed Bullet is excellent with Last Rites.
Greymane's outstanding single-target DPS makes him particularly potent on Maps where there are multiple Mercenary Camps to be captured. Beyond this point, Greymane's relative relative well-roundedness does not make him particularly effective or weak anywhere, although his lack of self sustain might make him unsuited to solo lane against some of the better duelists.
Greymane's Tips and Tricks
- Use Minions, Summons and Structures to trigger Gilnean Cocktail's increased cone damage against Heroes.
- Inner Beast's duration can be increased by attacking anything — not just Heroes.
- Razor Swipe is useful for quickly avoiding skillshots and area of effect Abilities.
- A marker appears above Heroes that would die to Go for the Throat's damage.
- Cursed Bullet is worth using against Tanks early on in any given fight due to its high damage and short Cooldown.
- Darkflight's Cooldown runs while Greymane is in Worgen form. Cursed Bullet can be used during that form to become Human, allowing Greymane to instantly use Darkflight again.
- Greymane gets 10 Armor during Worgen form. Use it to take less damage from unavoidable spells, like Pyroblast.
- If you are not in Melee range from your target, Go for the Throat can be used to give you 1-4 frames of unstoppable, removing blinds affecting you.
- During a blind, you cannot refresh Inner Beast's duration through Basic Attacks. At that moment, you should use an Ability to not lose the Attack Speed buff (assuming you picked Viciousness at Level 1).
Role in the Current Meta
Greymane's melee-ranged hybrid archetype allows him to benefit from both the safety of ranged Assassin and the raw damage output of melee Assassins. While this allows him to perform well in any given situation, Greymane will never outperform "pure" ranged or melee damage dealers at their best. This flexibility also comes at the cost of utility — Greymane offers zero options for crowd control, and has absolutely no means of healing himself. These factors make him particularly reliant on teamplay to succeed.
In general, he tends to do well against team compositions that feature multiple ranged Heroes, and more particularly, "mage"-like Heroes, who tend to be weak against aggressive melee Heroes. If several reliable tools for crowd control are available to your opponents, it may be wise to look into another ranged Assassin to take up Greymane's spot, as he is not particularly strong when Worgen form can not be reliably or safely utilised.
- 21 Oct. 2020 (this page): Guide update to ensure relevance in the current meta.
- 21 Oct. 2020 (abilities page): Updated Ability page.
- 21 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Updated Talents and Builds.
- 24 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Talents and Builds updated to reflect current meta.
- 24 Sep. 2020 (this page): Builds updated to reflect current meta.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 19 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations updated.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Updated description for Gilnean Roulette.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 30 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talents to account for the June 27 balance patch changes.
- 07 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talents and Build to account for the Maiev's patch changes.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Cocktail Party build.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Updated the amount of damage Cursed Bullet deals to 40%.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Updated the amount of damage Cursed Bullet deals to 40%.
- 19 Feb. 2017 (abilities page): Added Cursed Bullet.
- 19 Feb. 2017 (talents page): Added Cursed Bullet.
- 08 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated and moved to the new format.
- BlizzCon 2020 Would Have Started Today: October 23rd
- An Update on the Development of StarCraft II
- Players Join Protests Against Blizzard France In-Game
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Patch Notes: October 7th
- Activision Blizzard To Close France Office
- Week 1 Analysis of the Heist League from The Chaos Report
- WarCraft 2 Remake in WC3: Reforged
- Second Warcraft Movie Rumor Mentioned by Chris Metzen
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin
- Heroes of the Storm Deathwing