Greymane Build Guide “I am the alpha!”
Welcome to our guide for Greymane, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Greymane is a ranged Assassin that thrives on aggression. With an unusual ability to transform into a melee Hero to temporarily reveal a different set of Abilities, Greymane offers unparalleled versatility in terms of damage-dealing. His lack of defensive Abilities and Talents and limited utility, however, may spell his downfall... in the hands of an unprepared player.
Greymane's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Offers zero utility beyond raw damage
- Low survivability albeit having a reasonably-sized Health pool
- Particularly weak when playing "from behind"
Greymane's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Cocktail Party BuildSituational
Cocktail Party Build revolves around increasing the damage and reliability of Gilnean Cocktail. Its main goal is to inflict plenty of poke damage, through Gilnean Cocktail and Go for the Throat to then go for the kill with Darkflight and some Basic Attacks intertwined. Note that Cursed Bullet can also be used instead of Go for the Throat should your opponents' team composition feature a Tanks without a way to escape.
Greymane's Synergies and Counters
Greymane's outstanding single-target DPS makes him particularly potent on Maps where PvE-like Objectives have to be killed. Beyond this point, Greymane's relative relative well-roundedness does not make him particularly effective or weak anywhere, although his lack of self sustain might make him unsuited to solo lane against some of the better duelists.
Greymane's Tips and Tricks
- Use Minions, Summons and Structures to trigger Gilnean Cocktail's increased cone damage against Heroes.
- Inner Beast's duration can be increased by attacking anything — not just Heroes.
- Razor Swipe is useful for quickly avoiding skillshots and area of effect Abilities.
- A marker appears above Heroes that would die to Go for the Throat's damage.
- Cursed Bullet is worth using against Tanks early on in any given fight due to its high damage and short Cooldown.
Role in the Current Meta
Note about the current Anomaly: Greymane playstyle is affected little by the Anomaly. It does provide him with more opportunities to damage any opposing Hero attempting to collect Experience Globes. Lacking self-sustain however, he should not collect Globes unless necessary. Stay with your teammates.
Greymane's melee-ranged hybrid archetype allows him to benefit from both the safety of ranged Assassin and the raw damage output of melee Assassins. While this allows him to perform well in any given situation, Greymane will never outperform "pure" ranged or melee damage dealers at their best. This flexibility also comes at the cost of utility — Greymane offers zero options for crowd control, and has absolutely no means of healing himself. These factors make him particularly reliant on teamplay to succeed.
In general, he tends to do well against team compositions that feature multiple ranged Heroes, and more particularly, "mage"-like Heroes, who tend to be weak against aggressive melee Heroes. If several reliable tools for crowd control are available to your opponents, it may be wise to look into another ranged Assassin to take up Greymane's spot, as he is not particularly strong when Worgen form can not be reliably or safely utilised.
- 19 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations updated.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Updated description for Gilnean Roulette.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 30 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talents to account for the June 27 balance patch changes.
- 07 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talents and Build to account for the Maiev's patch changes.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Cocktail Party build.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Updated the amount of damage Cursed Bullet deals to 40%.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Updated the amount of damage Cursed Bullet deals to 40%.
- 19 Feb. 2017 (talents page): Added Cursed Bullet.
- 19 Feb. 2017 (abilities page): Added Cursed Bullet.
- 08 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated and moved to the new format.
- Activision Blizzard Q2 2020 Financial Report
- Old Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Trailer Upscaled to 4K
- Blizzard at Gamescom 2020
- The Summoning: Diablo 4 Announcement Cinematic Trailer Parody
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: July 15th
- Climate Phenomena Nexus Anomaly Removed from the Game
- Upcoming Heroes of the Storm AMA: July 16th
- Diablo 2 Gameplay AI Upscaled to 4K, 60 FPS
- Heroes of the Storm Mei
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- How do I get out of Bronze/Silver?
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Totally accurate rank list of heroes of the storm
- Did you stop playing after the e-sports cancellation?