Greymane Build Guide “I am the alpha!”
Welcome to our guide for Greymane, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Greymane is a Ranged Assassin that thrives on aggression. With an unusual ability to transform into a melee Hero to temporarily reveal a different set of Abilities, Greymane offers unparalleled versatility in terms of damage-dealing. His lack of defensive Abilities and Talents and limited utility, however, may spell his downfall... in the hands of an unprepared player.
Greymane's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Offers zero utility beyond raw damage
- Low survivability albeit having a reasonably-sized Health pool
- Particularly weak when playing "from behind"
Greymane's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Greymane's Basic Attack Build revolves around improving his Basic Attacks and thus sustained damage output. Although it provides less waveclear and burst damage than its counterpart, it provides Greymane with more consistent sustain damage.
Executioner greatly increases Greymane's damage, and should be the pick in most games where you have any kind of crowd control. If you do not have many Abilities to trigger Executioner in your team, Alpha Killer is a great option for more power in teamfights, while Eager Wolf is better in the PvE.
Greymane's Worgen Build, as the name suggests, is totally focused on dealing high damage as a Worgen. This build may not have the reliability provided by Quicksilver Bullets, but it has a much better kill potential and higher burst damage in melee form.
Considering this build has several Talents that require Greymane to play as Worgen in fights, it is much riskier to use. We do not recommend using this Build against Team Compositions with good single target damage and several crowd control tools to punish you. Otherwise, this build provides an excellent chase potential, dive capability, and a good way to dodge skillshots with Unfettered Assault.
Greymane's Cocktail Build focuses on dealing high damage to the opposing team's backline. Differently from Greymane's other builds, this one does not have a good early game, as it will only be useful after stacking Incendiary Elixir. However, once stacked, Greymane will start to deal massive damage in fights.
Gilnean Cocktail requires an enemy in front of a Hero to actually damage them. For this reason, we only recommend this build on maps with several Minions or Monsters where fights happen, such as Infernal Shrines or Tomb of the Spider Queen.
Greymane's Synergies and Counters
Greymane's excellent damage output scales well with anything that might improve his Attacks or give him extra resistance during Worgen form. Otherwise, strong initiation and team fight presence goes a long way to opening windows of opportunity for him to pick off Heroes that are out of position. He also has a good synergy with Malthael, as Cursed Bullet is excellent with Last Rites.
As an Assassin with a rather telegraphed play style, Greymane is very vulnerable to any form of targeted crowd control. Given that his Basic Attacks are his main source of damage, he is also greatly hindered by any form of debuff that might blind him or reduce his Attack speed.
Greymane's outstanding single-target DPS makes him particularly potent on Maps where there are multiple Mercenary Camps to be captured. Beyond this point, Greymane's relative relative well-roundedness does not make him particularly effective or weak anywhere, although his lack of self sustain might make him unsuited to offlane against some of the better duelists.
Greymane's Tips and Tricks
- Use Minions, Summons and Structures to trigger Gilnean Cocktail's increased cone damage against Heroes.
- Inner Beast's duration can be increased by attacking anything — not just Heroes.
- Razor Swipe is useful for quickly avoiding skillshots and area of effect Abilities.
- A marker appears above Heroes that would die to Go for the Throat's damage.
- Cursed Bullet should not be used as a poke tool. It is extremely important to have it ready to follow up an engage on any character, as its damage is essential for the kill.
- Darkflight's Cooldown runs while Greymane is in Worgen form. Cursed Bullet can be used during that form to become Human, allowing Greymane to instantly use Darkflight again.
- Greymane gets 10 Armor during Worgen form. Use it to take less damage from unavoidable spells, like Pyroblast.
- If you are not in Melee range from your target, Go for the Throat can be used to give you 1-4 frames of unstoppable, removing blinds affecting you.
- During a blind, you cannot refresh Inner Beast's duration through Basic Attacks. At that moment, you should use an Ability to not lose the Attack Speed buff (assuming you picked Viciousness at Level 1).
Greymane's Role in the Current Meta
Greymane's melee-ranged hybrid archetype allows him to benefit from both the safety of Ranged Assassin and the raw damage output of melee Assassins. While this allows him to perform well in any given situation, Greymane will never outperform "pure" ranged or melee damage dealers at their best. This flexibility also comes at the cost of utility — Greymane offers zero options for crowd control, and has absolutely no means of healing himself. These factors make him particularly reliant on teamplay to succeed.
In general, he tends to do well against team compositions that feature multiple ranged Heroes, and more particularly, "mage"-like Heroes, who tend to be weak against aggressive melee Heroes. If several reliable tools for crowd control are available to your opponents, it may be wise to look into another ranged Assassin to take up Greymane's spot, as he is not particularly strong when Worgen form can not be reliably or safely utilised.
- 18 Apr. 2022 (abilities page): Updated Cursed Bullet's discussion.
- 18 Apr. 2022 (this page): Tips section updated.
- 15 Apr. 2022 (this page): Tips section updated.
- 09 Feb. 2022 (this page): Guide Updated after recent balance patch.
- 09 Feb. 2022 (talents page): Updated Talents and Builds after recent balance patch.
- 17 Feb. 2021 (this page): Updated Attack Build.
- 21 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Updated Talents and Builds.
- 21 Oct. 2020 (abilities page): Updated Ability page.
- 21 Oct. 2020 (this page): Guide update to ensure relevance in the current meta.
- 24 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Talents and Builds updated to reflect current meta.
- 24 Sep. 2020 (this page): Builds updated to reflect current meta.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 19 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations updated.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Updated description for Gilnean Roulette.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 30 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talents to account for the June 27 balance patch changes.
- 07 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talents and Build to account for the Maiev's patch changes.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Cocktail Party build.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Updated the amount of damage Cursed Bullet deals to 40%.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Updated the amount of damage Cursed Bullet deals to 40%.
- 19 Feb. 2017 (abilities page): Added Cursed Bullet.
- 19 Feb. 2017 (talents page): Added Cursed Bullet.
- 08 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated and moved to the new format.
More Ranged Assassin Guides
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players
- NetEase Responds to Blizzard Licensing Agreement Expiration
- Most Blizzard Game Services to Be Suspended in China on January 23rd
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Connection Lost Constantly
- Heroes of the Storm Wandering Keg
- Heroes of the Storm Garden of Terror
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar