Tracer Build Guide “The cavalry's here!”
Welcome to our guide for Tracer, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Tracer is an extremely mobile ranged Assassin. Due to her fragility, she relies on her Abilities to constantly reposition and outmaneuver enemy forces. With her high burst damage and many escapes, she can be a nuisance to the enemy backline.
Tracer's Strengths and Weaknesses
Tracer's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Basic Attack BuildRecommended
The Basic Attack build is a good template to use while approaching each game. Because Tracer must typically deal sustained damage until she can go in for a kill, her effectiveness scales with the amount of time that she can safely remain within Basic Attack range.
One-Two Punch greatly increases Tracer's damage outside of teamfights, but you will not be able to use melee that often during a 5v5 for an objective. We recommend going for Tracer Rounds if you will be always grouping with your team (which will happen when you are the only ranged assassin of the composition). Pulse Generator will not only increase Tracer's self-sustain, but also her mobility. Is That a Health Pack?! greatly increases Tracer's ability to manage her own health, and is a decent option on maps where you can pre-tap before fighting, getting a great sustain boost. Heavy Handed is a good option at level 16 if you need some extra damage to burst a single target, and may be the difference between killing a desired target or not.
Ricochet, Untouchable, and Locked and Loaded will greatly increase Tracer's damage output. Tracer will start being a huge threat when she starts stacking Untouchable. It is recommended to play safe after 2 stacks, since 10% extra damage will be more than enough for you to secure more kills. However, Jumper is a good option if you will not be able to secure some kills before the end of the game.
Tracer's Synergies and Counters
Tracer does well with Heroes who have strong waveclear, who can also deal area damage over time. Malfurion is a good pick for Tracer. He can support her from a long distance due to Regrowth. Anduin is also good with her, because with her high mobility, Tracer can easily make Lightbomb hit the opposing backline.
Tracer is threatened by Heroes who have Abilities that can target her directly, such as Poly Bomb or Taunt. Her survival depends on mobility; she dies very quickly when she cannot avoid damage. This makes her vulnerable against Heroes with powerful ranged Basic Attacks, and Heroes who can disable her with single target crowdcontrol that prevents Recall from being cast.
Tracer is generally strong on maps that encourage enemies to split up, where she can punish Heroes caught away from the safety of structures or allies. She can struggle against PvE map objectives, especially if the design promotes teams to group up.
Tracer's Tips and Tricks
- Use Blink to close distance on enemies, dodge Abilities, or escape danger.
- If you have not already, set Blink's Quick Cast to "on" (under Settings, Hotkeys, Quick Cast Setting). This will make the Ability much more responsive, which will help you to avoid skillshots with it.
- Use Melee to deal burst damage to enemy Heroes and quickly charge Pulse Bomb. Melee can also be used to assist with waveclear as needed.
- Tracer can safely overextend thanks to Recall. Use this to kill low Health enemies, who may be too dangerous to reach for your allies.
- Activate Recall to remove negative effects before other enemy Heroes are able to follow-up with Silences or Stuns.
- Use Tracer's extremely high attack speed from Reload to quickly clear units that do not have Health, but take a certain number of Basic Attacks. Examples include Doubloon Chests or Cocoon.
- Use Tracer's life steal to sustain yourself. Even if you cannot hit Heroes, it is good to retreat and attack minions or structures to get your health back.
- Even thought Tracer's basic abilities cannot reveal targets, Pulse Bomb can be used over a stealth Hero to finish or reveal them.
Tracer's Role in the Current Meta
Tracer works best on a team that can reliably waveclear, so that she can focus on killing Heroes. She can be the hyper-carry of a team, but can also fit into team compositions as a finisher, much like Nova or Zeratul. Tracer can run down most enemy Heroes who try to flee from team fights. She is very good against fragile Heroes who lack mobility.
Tracer's ability to reposition constantly can make her hard to deal with for some Heroes, especially those who lack a way to target her directly. While she can be a terror to Heroes who lack answers, she can be stopped in a variety of ways. Because she can self-cleanse soft crowd-control with Recall, silences, stuns, and displacements are the most effective tools against her. Abilities like Polymorph, and Hammer of Justice cannot be dodged, making her extremely vulnerable to follow-up when these affect her. Knockback from Abilities like Face Melt and Concussive Blast can disrupt her combo, since she will often use up Blink charges to get in range for Melee. Being aware of (and playing around) Abilities that can hinder your mobility is key to getting the most out of Tracer.
- 08 Jul. 2020 (this page): Updated Heavy Handed's relevance in her Builds.
- 08 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Updated Heavy Handed discussion.
- 04 Jun. 2020 (this page): Updated Builds and Weaknesses to Reflect June 3rd balance patch.
- 04 Jun. 2020 (talents page): Updated Talents and Builds to reflect June 3rd balance patch.
- 24 May 2020 (talents page): Updated Talent recommendations.
- 07 May 2020 (this page): Updated Builds, Strengths and Weaknesses accordingly to May 6th balance patch.
- 07 May 2020 (abilities page): Updated Abilities accordingly to May 6th balance patch.
- 07 May 2020 (talents page): Updated Talents and Builds accordingly to May 6th balance patch.
- 25 Mar. 2020 (this page): Updated Basic Attack build and her Weaknesses and Strengths.
- 25 Mar. 2020 (talents page): Updated Talent discussion and build to current meta.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Updated Role in the Current Meta to include information on current Nexus Anomaly.
- 17 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Updated Talent discussion and recommended build to reflect current meta.
- 17 Oct. 2019 (this page): Updated Talent discussion and recommended build to reflect current meta.
- 17 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Reviewed Abilities discussion to ensure relevance.
- 27 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talent discussion to reflect balance changes in Fenix patch.
- 27 Mar. 2018 (this page): Updated Talent discussion and builds to reflect balance changes in Fenix patch.
- Diablo 2 Gameplay AI Upscaled to 4K, 60 FPS
- New Very Funny Diablo 2 Carbot Animations Series: Diablols 2
- Diablo 2 Retrospective
- Diablo 2 20-year Anniversary Celebration with New Wings, a Diablo Bust, Videos and More!
- Diablo 2 Remaster Won't Be Announced in June
- Nexomania II Event Preview (June 23rd - September 7th)
- Bringing Mei Into the Nexus
- Heroes of the Storm Mei Patch Notes: June 23rd
- How do I get out of Bronze/Silver?
- Heroes of the Storm Mei
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Totally accurate rank list of heroes of the storm
- Did you stop playing after the e-sports cancellation?
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin