Arthas Build Guide “Frostmourne hungers.”
Welcome to our guide for Arthas, a Melee Warrior Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Arthas' Overview
Arthas is an aggressive Warrior who can be played both as a Bruiser and as a Tank. Arthas excels at slowing and rooting several opponents at the same time, which allows him to either chase down retreating enemies or to peel for threatened allies. Furthermore, his inherent 15 Physical Armor (which causes him to take 15% reduced damage from enemy Basic Attacks) and the ability to reduce the Attack Speed of nearby opponents, make him an excellent choice against Assassins who are dependent on Basic Attacks.
2. Arthas' Strengths and Weaknesses
- Powerful crowd control abilities
- Good at clearing Mercenary Camps on his own
- Strong self-sustain
- Resilient against Basic Attacks
- High damage output compared to other Warriors
- Decent laner
- No gap-closers
- Mana dependent
- Relatively long cooldown on both Heroic Abilities
3. Arthas' Talent Build Cheatsheet
Howling Blast BuildTalent calculator »
The Howling Blast Build relies heavily upon Arthas' multiple Movement Speed Slows and his ability to root his opponents with his W. The ensuing synergy with Shattered Armor at Level 13 enables him to make several enemy Heroes more vulnerable to Arthas' own and his teammates' damage.
Bruiser BuildTalent calculator »
4. Arthas' Synergies and Counters
Arthas is excellent when it comes to countering Basic Attackers with the exception of Tychus, whose Minigun ignores Physical Armor. However, Arthas himself struggles against certain mages who deal a large amount of burst damage like Gul'dan or Kael'thas. Those Heroes are normally hard to reach for Arthas and are also capable of killing several Ghouls of his Army of the Dead Heroic Ability.
5. Arthas' Maps
Due to his ability to reinforce ongoing pushes with Summon Sindragosa, Arthas excels on maps that include a moving non-Heroic Objective, such as the Immortal, the Punisher, or the Webweavers. We do not recommend Arthas as a high priority pick on larger maps without mobile Objectives, such as Sky Temple or Warhead Junction.
6. Arthas' Tips and Tricks
- Arthas passively takes 15% less damage from Basic Attacks, which makes him a great pick against Heroes like Illidan or Valla.
- Pressing ALT + Q causes Arthas to quickly cast Death Coil on himself, healing him for a considerable amount.
- When using Howling Blast, it is sometimes better to cast it slightly ahead of the enemy target's movement path, as its projectile travels rather slowly.
- Summon Sindragosa disables enemy Structures, which makes it a very potent ability to use during pushes.
- Frozen Tempest is a very useful tool to get rid of Zagara's Creep Tumor.
7. Arthas' Role In The Current Meta
Arthas fulfills the role of an offensive Warrior that poses a constant threat to nearby enemies. While he is innately not as durable as other Warriors like Muradin or E.T.C., Arthas can nevertheless become quite tanky. Strong defensive talents like Immortal Coil or Anti-Magic Shell provide enough protection to hold the front line during the later stages of the game against both Basic Attackers and Spell Casters. Two of Arthas' Basic Abilities, namely Frozen Tempest and Howling Blast, can be used to initiate team fights by locking multiple nearby enemies down. However, the fact that Arthas has a hard time closing in on agile Heroes requires him to choose his targets wisely. In order to become a decent Arthas player, it is very important to know when to engage and when to remain passive.
- 04 May 2017 (talents page): Updated Frost Presence's talent description.
- 16 Apr. 2017 (talents page): Changed the Howling Blast build to use Icebound Fortitude instead of Mortal Coil and improved the description of the Bruiser build.
- 15 Mar. 2017 (talents page): Removed Self-Heal Build and updated the other two builds.
- 14 Mar. 2017 (talents page): Overhauled talent recommendations following Arthas' rework in Probius' patch.
- 18 Jan. 2017 (this page): Converted guide to new format and updated it.
- Orphea Comic
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: November 13th
- BlizzCon 2018 Diablo Immortal Press Conference Recap
- Orphea Talent Calculator Now Live
- Activision Blizzard Q3 2018 Earnings Call
- Weekly Brawl - Trial Grounds: November 9th
- Heroes of the Storm Post-BlizzCon 2018 Developer AMA Recap
- Tempo Storm BlizzCon 2018 Interview
- Heroes of the Storm Jaina
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio
- Heroes of the Storm Mal'Ganis
- New tactic idea
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie
- Heroes of the Storm Kerrigan